Society Where do you see your country...

evilcommiebastard

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
hi im from singapore and....... Singapore:Communist state pretending to be democratic.Scared of malaysia and think we malays are dumb. dont get me wrong, i'm from both countries.....but what the heck. you buy cheap ****** DVDs in malaysia....[br]Posted at: February 20, 2006, 07:29:55 AM_________________________________________________lol and yeah, from 40 yrs from now, i see singapore as a economically powerful country under China and will bypass any SEA country, but if we get attacked by some evil countru i.e taiwan, australia.... WE R SREWED coz our military sucks and we still buy AMX-19 tanks which is a low class french light tank from jews......
 

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,880
Reaction score
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
This is a really interesting topic...I love hearing about other countries. o_o

Lets see..I am from the USA and where I see the country in about 40 years. I see it moving more and more toward isolationism especially since the current wars / actions have been so unpopular. What made me really believe this is in one of the Presidents lastest address it was mentioned that he did not feel that it was the way to go since it will effect our future negatively....but I feel that in the end the goverment is goverened by the peoples wishes and although it may be seen as a bad thing to happen now I am not so sure that it will not occur later.

Also I really see less and less dependency on foreign oils. More and more cars that are being sold are Hybrid models and again there was a govermental call to lessen oil consumption. We are so addicted to technology here that I think that most people see it as a challenge. I know that personally I want a Hybrid just so I can stop paying so much for gas. @_@

Finally I am really praying that I am wrong...but I worry about another attack here. It seems like there are so many little ways that someone could get in the country and really do some damage. And according to the media we are not well liked as a nation....these wars are not helping...although we are assured that they are....I feel that they are not. Again I pray that I am wrong...

But other than that I personally do not see the normal average daily lives of Americans changing all that much. We will all go to school, fall in love, perhaps go to college, work and just live our lives day to day.

:)
 

asmo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
69
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Interesting thread. It was fun reading how different people see the world and the role of their countries in it.  :)
Well, most of the countries discussed in here appear to be either totalitarian or autocratic regimes under a fake-democratic government, at least that's how people describe them ;)

Therefore I should be quite happy to live in Germany. However, my country has a bunch of pretty large problems:  an economic crisis (hey, who hasn't one? :p), politicians are unable to reform our welfare-state, taxes are too high, the whole system has become pretty socialist
(IMHO we should go back to a more capitalistic economic system with less or zero subsidies) and last but not least an immense immigration and integration problem. Most foreigners in Germany are either from northern Africa or the middle east and even third generation foreigners often still don't speak proper German and haven't adapted to European culuture. Up to 50 % of them don't even finish school. Pretty sad.
Nevertheless I think as soon as we manage to reform our economic system Germany will come back on its feet. It may take another million unemployed 'till the last German finally sees the need for drastic reforms, but I'm sure it'll come...well, hopefully  :p
After all I'm happy to live in a free democratic society. It hasn't always been like that  ;)

As for the rest of the world: America's going to stay on top. I don't think China can rival the US, simply because it's not a free society. It's an autocratic regime with a lot of plutocracy in it. Its economic rise is largely fueled by rightless and cheap workers from the underdeveloped poor parts of the country. We'll see if China evolves into something that is worth being called a democracy. Unless it does I don't see a big change on the world map.
 

siegfried

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
405
Reaction score
3
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
WaLkiE said:
believes there are 2 possibilities..one good and one bad

good:
1-turkey will become EU-member nation
2-economy will continue going higher and better
3-if turkey's position continues becoming stronger, turks will be the key to cool down the tension between chriastians and muslims (or vice versa)

bad:
1-EU nations will reject turkey without any logical reason. that will cause great anger and racist movements
2-turkey will stop sympathing Europe and USA, and turn to side of china-russia-arabians
3-radical islam will become stronger in turkey (that will be a step to war between arab nations and usa+some euro-nations and that will effect first, all europe then the rest of world)
I think in 40 years AKP (the head party) will dominate all the corporations in the country.AKP sympatizers will be the administrators of all the important corporations and turkey will decline to 50 years previous.

we are in a very critical time.the future of turkey will be decided on these 10 years.if we can particapate in EU things can change.
 

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
1,176
Reaction score
86
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Hmm... when I came here I thought I'd be able to construct a post on how I see my country 40 from now. It turns out though that my view is not of my liking, not because of what it includes but because of how limited it is. Sadly, I know little about my country's politics, economy, history, geography (at least by my standards) so I don't think I can make a post here that will satisfy me. Anyhow, it's better to say something than to say nothing (here, not always), so I'll just do that:

Ramblings of a Greek

i) There will probably be more people trying to pay their debts while trying to feed their families (gonna be hard).
ii) There will be a lot of unemployment and less stability in jobs (people changing jobs will be more common)
ii) PASOK and New Democracy will still be the two leading political parties unless they crumble from within! A turn of events I have to admit I'd be very intrigued to see.
iii) There will be a lot more immigrants (a lot of them illegal).
iv) The people in large cities like Athens (in the wider area of which almost half of Greece resides) will be even less tolerant with immigrants (illegal or not) and there will be tension...
v) Soccer will be the same, with fanatics wrecking havoc and the police trying to maintain order (although seeing how the police are getting all the more strict I think they will manage to maintain order so that we will be a little less humiliated as a society (not that it isn't humiliating when people act like animals but at least it will improve our "public image" shit I'm sounding like a politician)
vi) The recognition of FYROM as Macedonia will have been forgotten (although I don't know if the people will laugh at all the "funny" situations that will emerge from this or if they'll just erupt into a violent berserker rage and slay whomever they are dealing with)
vii) DSL will be available throughout the country (ok, not necessarily in the places we call "goat villages" but you get the idea) and much cheaper as well (though we'll still be the country with the most expensive internet service providers in Europe)

In a nutshel unless there's a world war or a war with Turkey I don't see any major changes in the lifestyle of the Greeks in a span of 40 years. Of course I'm only 20 years old and I haven't watched 40 years go by to be able to judge the effect they have on a country... I might post here again with new prediction after I've talked about the future of the country with other people (don't hold your breath though).

Congratulations GK on making this thread! You've inspired at least one person to research the present of their country so as to predict its future!
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Anax said:
Hmm... when I came here I thought I'd be able to construct a post on how I see my country 40 from now. It turns out though that my view is not of my liking, not because of what it includes but because of how limited it is. Sadly, I know little about my country's politics, economy, history, geography (at least by my standards) so I don't think I can make a post here that will satisfy me. Anyhow, it's better to say something than to say nothing (here, not always), so I'll just do that:

Ramblings of a Greek

i) There will probably be more people trying to pay their debts while trying to feed their families (gonna be hard).
ii) There will be a lot of unemployment and less stability in jobs (people changing jobs will be more common)
ii) PASOK and New Democracy will still be the two leading political parties unless they crumble from within! A turn of events I have to admit I'd be very intrigued to see.
iii) There will be a lot more immigrants (a lot of them illegal).
iv) The people in large cities like Athens (in the wider area of which almost half of Greece resides) will be even less tolerant with immigrants (illegal or not) and there will be tension...
v) Soccer will be the same, with fanatics wrecking havoc and the police trying to maintain order (although seeing how the police are getting all the more strict I think they will manage to maintain order so that we will be a little less humiliated as a society (not that it isn't humiliating when people act like animals but at least it will improve our "public image" shit I'm sounding like a politician)
vi) The recognition of FYROM as Macedonia will have been forgotten (although I don't know if the people will laugh at all the "funny" situations that will emerge from this or if they'll just erupt into a violent berserker rage and slay whomever they are dealing with)
vii) DSL will be available throughout the country (ok, not necessarily in the places we call "goat villages" but you get the idea) and much cheaper as well (though we'll still be the country with the most expensive internet service providers in Europe)

In a nutshel unless there's a world war or a war with Turkey I don't see any major changes in the lifestyle of the Greeks in a span of 40 years. Of course I'm only 20 years old and I haven't watched 40 years go by to be able to judge the effect they have on a country... I might post here again with new prediction after I've talked about the future of the country with other people (don't hold your breath though).

Congratulations GK on making this thread! You've inspired at least one person to research the present of their country so as to predict its future!
It'd be interesting if Mangahelpers is still around in 40 years from now and we'll all be able to reflect on our predictions! Of course I'm not holding my breath on that either ^^
 

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
3,303
Reaction score
29
Gender
Hidden
Country
Isle of Man
Gold Knight said:
It'd be interesting if Mangahelpers is still around in 40 years from now and we'll all be able to reflect on our predictions! Of course I'm not holding my breath on that either ^^
LOL, in 40 years MH will have a few million members. Most of the present members will be about to retire, some of us will be great politicians, many economists and a few famous prodigy mangakas, who will proove to the world that mangakas don't have to be only from Japan. Sorry to say, Naruto, Bleach and One Piece will follow the path of Death Note and won't be actual by that time anymore.
How's that?
 

Remus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
776
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well if we are lucky, down here in Germany the USA will start some more wars and loose patheticly. Then they have become indepted because of the massive amount of money needed for the stupid warfare. Germany grants them money although we have nothing and then we might get our WWII depts erased. This will be a happy day in the life of everyone living in Germany because taxes will fall,etc.

It's pathetic, ain't it ? People of a country must pay for something a stupid Fascist,who wasn't even a native german, did 60 years ago.
 

asmo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
69
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Remus said:
Well if we are lucky, down here in Germany the USA will start some more wars and loose patheticly. Then they have become indepted because of the massive amount of money needed for the stupid warfare. Germany grants them money although we have nothing and then we might get our WWII depts erased. This will be a happy day in the life of everyone living in Germany because taxes will fall,etc.

It's pathetic, ain't it ? People of a country must pay for something a stupid Fascist,who wasn't even a native german, did 60 years ago.
We're not paying any reparations. Without the Marshall plan there would have been no "Wirtschaftswunder" (economic miracle). However it's true that we paid a large sum of money for the first gulf-war (which was in our interest just like for any free country), but that has nothing to do with reparations - it's a NATO thing.
The high taxes in Germany have nothing to do with the US and WWII, that's a non-sense conspiracy theory you usually only hear from Nazis and eastern German communists. Where did you pick up that nonsense?
A socialist country needs large sums of money to subsidize even people for driving to work. And Germany has become extremely socialist in the last decades. That's the reason for the high taxes.
 

Remus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
776
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Then how the hell could we indebted ourselves so hard ? This country is still among greatest of the world and does great mean great debts ? But when I look at it. USA has the highest debts worldwide.But they have an alternative in getting money and holding their prices. Well one is to abuse the middle and south american states and the other is we all know it, war.
Well I hope germany gets better otherwise I might move in the future. Without a change I see nothing in this country.
 

enzomars

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
467
Reaction score
2
Remus said:
Then how the hell could we indebted ourselves so hard ? This country is still among greatest of the world and does great mean great debts ?
Hum ... Socialism doh!

Be carefull not to end up like France . It's just pathetic what's going on there.

I say social aids yes ... but really really moderate.
 

asmo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
69
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
@Remus: We're in debt because we have been spending more money than we have at our disposal ^^
Our whole social security system was already doomed when it was implemented, but instead of cutting it down to a more modest scale they started giving away stuff for free no sane person could think off.
I'll say it again: that has nothing to do with reparations since we're not paying any. I really don't know where you got that idea from, but I suggest you start reading the newspapers (and please not the "taz").

Enzomars is absolutely right.
 

Verena

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
59
Reaction score
3
Well, Wales has been forgotten by the EU, so recognition would be nice ^.^

Aww, Great Britain... It's scary, you know. Such a social decrease. Nowadays, the government seems to favour those who do bugger all their entire life and then decide to stomp on those who do work.

Example: My Grand parents have worked hard their entire lives, and now my Grandmother's got Alzheimer's dease and so if my grandfather were to die (touch wood he won't anytime soon) She would be forced into a home and all her money and assets would be stripped away, paid for into the home she's forced to go to (this won't happen, as we have made sure of that, however it's happened to many other unfortunate people) and then someone who has nothing and has done nothing gets to go there for free.

If the money's not taken by the home, then it's taken by the Council ¬.¬ 

Britain is on a steady social decline, those who do bugger all and rely on the dole are now favoured to those who work for a living. I mean, this one woman had seven kids and was earning £39,000 a YEAR from their medical problems like Asthma, whcih all were prooved later to not have! O.o

And, I'm not afraid to say it, but I think Britain's racial problems will increase. One day, there'll be blood on the streets. It's where lack of intergration and understanading of other cultures will take us.

Political correctness is getting ridiculous as well. Children in nurseries are not allowed to sing "Bah, Bah Black Sheep" anymore. They have to sing either "Bah, Bah Rainbow Sheep" or "Bah, Bah Sheep Sheep"  :notrust WTH?

Oh yeah, I remember reading in the papers the other day about a lady in charge of the local church events and notice board thingy was approached by a gay bloke who said there weren't enough "Gay notices on the board" (or words to that effect) and said he'd get the police if she didn't do anything.  :o It's a church, you fool! I'm not religious, but still, come on.

Oh and here's another, one Muslim community spoke up against Christmas trees! O.O We're a Christian Country!!!

It's scary, honestly. With all the terrorism and the rest of that crap, relations are not good ^.^;; and they'll get worse if nothing's done about it. It'll be the innocent people that'll suffer U.U The subject's really quite worrying.

Frankly, I think the U.K's a lost cause.
 

Macan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
The way I see my country is one thing. Fuel+electricity hike=rising cost of living :mad

Life is getting harder for the low income workers (like me) these days. Food & services are getting more expensive and my wage is barely enough to sustain my life thanks to the govt. decision to reducing the fuel subsidy and use the funds to improve other sector which I still have yet to see it.

Verena said:
Oh and here's another, one Muslim community spoke up against Christmas trees! O.O We're a Christian Country!!!
WTH. Oh c'mon, In my opinion they need to respect other people's religion & belief and don't make such a statement. It's sensitive & It's lame.

Here we even got the biggest christmas tree in Malaysia at KLCC every christmas and that's not an issue & Christians as well as other people with different religion can celebrate their festive season here without fear of getting harrassed. Even muslims here join in with the celebration.
 

ZenoArmani

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
168
Reaction score
33
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I more or less expect Sweden and much of the western world to have immersed themselves in rightwing extremist, laisses-faire anarchistic, completely morally ambivalent, social-darwinian supremacist, feudal-style self-governed business empires idealising libertarian philosophies by then. Thus we'll retain a flexible economy and thrive financially in total BNP, but with still enormous class gaps constantly rising poverty in the lower classes, horrible working conditions, far greater pollution and no interest whatsoever in idealism.

The thing about swedes is that we qualify extremely high in the average worldwide IQ rating, but the root of that is that we also rated highest in self-fulfillment values and second-highest in rational mindsets (Japan was first).

I.e. as we'll see with increasing frequency during the 21'th century, the younger generations have turned completely adaptable to whatever mindset and extremes seems to be most personally beneficial at any given moment, which makes us extremely susceptible to the more extreme US-driven completely callous, ruthless, deceitful and egoistical cultural influences, policies & trends. After all it doesn't strictly make logical sense to maintain some measure of virtue when complete embracement of all ones most depraved personal aspects would reap far greater practical rewards and there likely is no afterlife, or at least not one which wil judge you, anyway.

Several libertarians, being the ultimate extreme of many US-centered mindsets, have realised the possibilities in this set-up and the value of negating one of the brightest counterpoint examples that idealism, compassion, conscience & solidarity actually can work. They've already very efficiently had enormous extremely quick success through Internet propaganda sites, intense bullying of opposing journalists, widespread column writing in major newspapers and a starter well-financed monthly magasine and they're succeeding. It's only a matter of time until the current generations have grown up and taken all power in society and thereby turned it around on its head.

Not a very bright future for a balance-obsessed middle-wing moralist like myself I'll admit, but I'll probably eventually wear down and turn corrupt myself if I see that there's no point when there remain no halfway decent people to fight for anymore and I'm damn bloodthirsty when I want to, so I guess I’ll manage. Though I'd much prefer not to embrace the 'Do it to them before they do it to you' philosophy. :s
 

FLFC

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2006
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
I think my country (Brazil) will be a better place to live in 20 years. We still have many problems in terms of the State healthcare and social rights... I mean those principles are all written in our teenager Constitution (1988), but there´s still a huge gap from what our government is doing to what our Constitution says they should do.

The reason for that is because our greatest problem is OUR PEOPLE, we have a sense that everyone is on their own, wich is a heritage from our colonial past, and that is something very difficult to get past, so since our politics are a mirror image of the people they represent, when they get to the government they get corrupt and rich. But OUR PEOPLE is also the very solution of our problems. I think the generation that is being brought up under this new State that came with our new Federal Constitution/88 is gonna have a much clearer sense of right and wrong than we had in the past and will be able to do great things for this contry.

In the present day urban violence is a great problem, there´s not enough job opportunities and that pressure leads many to criminality and that´ll become worse before it can get better, but we will pull through. Public education was almost non-existent in 10 years past, now we do have many children in schools but it lacks quality, our universities are great but they have very limited vacancies (is it right?) so the only people that can get past the selection are rich people that studied in private schools.

I think our future is brighter even comparing with other developed countries, for instance we are a very tolerant people, we don´t mind much about people´s color or religion. We are very hypocrite though, a family may say that they accept colored and gay people but they would die of sorrow if their son turned out to be gay, or in a lower scale if their precious white daughter married a black man, but that´s far from being a problem. Our worst prejudice is that wich "rich" people have against the poor. But once we solve the problem of bad wealth distribution that will get better, it is already. The brazilians are very good humored and very easygoing, it´s a big country so it varies from place to place but in general it´s like that. Our contry is beautifull, it has many great scenaries but its more like a tropical beauty, Europe has a classic beauty that cannot compare. And we like to party very much but as i said rich people are very conservative and hypocrite so their sons and daughters does the worst things but all very hidden. :)
 

Adam_xx

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
1,171
Reaction score
32
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
In forty years...
I WILL be a MangaHelpers administrator! xD

Living back in my homecountry, Malaysia..
Start dissin' em, your going down! :p
 

Keile

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
In 40 years..I hope Canada is still a multicultural and thriving country.

I also hope that the many starving and economically poor countries in places such Africa, Asia and South America are given more aid and are able to develop a good economy based the integration of tourism, better employment, inflation and other assorted economic things. I mean, when you think about it, places like Europe have colonized and basically assimilated a lot of people's cultures and beliefs, just to replace them with their own. Because of that colonization, a lot of people all cross the continents are still being affected culturally and economically. I hope that these people are able to regain what they lost.

Thats what I hope for in 40 years. Also, I wish to become the greatest pokemon master that ever lived.
 

Binky

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2006
Messages
132
Reaction score
147
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
In 40 years I think Scotland will be independant of Great Britain, for better or for worse. In my eyes it would be a good thing, I hate to sound melodramatic but we've been exploited for years now, we are the poorest of the British member-nations and yet the British government has in the past seen fit to test taxes on us to see if they'll be suitable for the rest of Britain (Thatcher - Poll Tax), we are also in terms of both tourism and natural resources in a good position for independance, as various reports suggest that within five years of independance the average Scot would be 30% better off than their English contemporary thanks to our oil resources, we may also be able to pull an Ireland and get hugely subsidised by the European Union thanks to our current state of comparitive poverty.

Whether psychologically we, as a nation, are ready for independence is highly doubtful. Unlike the Irish and the Welsh we entered into Union willingly and forsook large aspects of our culture, to the extent that whilst the Welsh-speaking population is increasing by the year, our own Scottish Gaelic would likely be extinct in forty years. Politically as well, it may be seen as a foolish route given that the current Prime Minister and the two most likely to succeed him as leader of the Labour party are all Scots, the current leader of the Liberal Democrats is also Scottish, and not so long ago the leaders of all three of the major parties were Scottish. We've actually integrated exceptionally well all things considered, and I feel we'd have a cosmic hangover if we left, but the economic advantages we could gain are huge.

EDIT: The UK is definately not a Christian country though Verena. Statistically we're the most godless nation in existence. ;)
 
Top