Question - Which is better Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Which is better Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter?

Which is better Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter?

• Yu Yu Hakusho

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Hunter x Hunter

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Which is better Yu Yu Hakusho or Hunter x Hunter?

Netero

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Both of them are in my top 10 favorite manga but Hunter x Hunter will always be my number 1 :^_^

My pick Hunter x Hunter

Demonspeed

Damegami
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Hunter X Hunter is by far my favorite manga.

riniloves

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I cant choose I like both manga...

Refraction

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Iceland
I'll try to arrange my preferences first in a tl;dr diagram...although I'm not altogether fond of such diagrams because they may imply that one particular option is intensely disliked when that isn't the case! In any case, my own personal preferences are as follows:

HxH manga = 1999 HxH anime>> Yu Yu Hakusho anime (English dub: I need to make this distinction) > Yu Yu Hakusho anime (sub) > Yu Yu Hakusho manga > 2011 HxH anime. (Nb. I like them all.)

In early 2008, I had read about twelve of Viz's translations of the HUNTERxHUNTER manga before I'd ever laid eyes on the first anime or on any form of Yu Yu Hakusho. I arrived at the Yoshihiro Togashi "party" fairly late, in early 2006, with my first exposure to the man's franchises being with the first three volumes of HUNTERxHUNTER. After having deemed the series a cognitive and atypical one that delighted for its tight plotting, elegant plot development, bizarre characters and totally novel destinations, I tracked down the first anime sometime in 2008 and found it to capitalise beautifully on the cerebral dimensions of the manga, confidently supplementing its silences and underscoring those traits of the manga that I enjoyed. It was a bold adaptation; it presented the manga with flair and gumption that my own brain hadn't been able to do--and for besting my own reading of the series, I grew to love it with an adoration that I felt, too, for the manga: both speak of a seasoned author, with smarts beyond the crowd.

I felt rather special to be a fan of HUNTERxHUNTER without having ever seen Togashi's first major opus to any meaningful extent, but by the summer of 2009 I had exhausted all available forms of the series and I felt compelled to see if any of the fuss concerning Togashi's first series was warranted...although, funnily enough, I anticipated that YYH would be a Dragonball Z clone with little of merit. I imported three box-sets of YYH from the U.S. and spent the summer acquainting myself with a show that felt fairly by-the-books and off-the-cuff, to begin with. When the Dark Tournament rolled around, though, the plotting of the show became thicker and more calculated; characters were introduced that felt almost disturbing--a good sign that Togashi's creative juices were becoming more profluent; and the story-telling became more resonant...though not especially so. In any case, thanks to the tournament, I felt compelled to persist with the show--and its concluding two sagas ooze much of those same thrillingly heterodox techniques that Togashi employs in HUNTERxHUNTER. It was during the Sensui arc that Togashi's confidence flourished; imaginative impulses are entertained at every corner and the story-telling is considerably tighter, indicative of an author who had found his groove. No longer was the show merely standard to me--it was a really confident exhibition of writing and, on Pierrot's behalf, animation. I'd like to add, however, that FUNimation's liberal dub of the show accentuated its punch and its flavours during earlier arcs that demanded some added attention, and I find it so gifted an adaptation that I prefer it to the Japanese version that was inhabited in its early stages by some of Togashi's early foibles, chiefly bland characterisation on the part of some characters. All the same, when YYH came to a close, I could see how the author had moved on to a style that embodies HUNTERxHUNTER, but is warped to sublime extents in that later work.

Recent dabbling in the YYH manga, too, has been entertaining for me--although my experiences with the TV series weren't so tremendous that I feel the urge to pick up every volume! And while I am such a sucker for colourful things that the new HUNTERxHUNTER anime sometimes makes me weak in the knees, the direction is often clumsy and the TV-only material is telling of a writer whose writing is mired in cliche; it lacks the spark and higher-thinking of the original author. But when Madhouse shines, it does so like gold; the director knows his way around the battlefield--Gon vs. Hisoka and Hisoka vs. the knife-wielding examiner just ooze the director's affection for eye-watering combat--and this delivers a sense of bombast in a way that only Madhouse can.

Overall, then, I cannot deny that HUNTERxHUNTER is my favourite. For the most part, it's that one manga that engenders all that I would ever look for, with writing that just feels that much more intuitive than any other manga that I have read. Yu Yu Hakusho's English dub, for all its unfaithfulness, carries a similar flair that the series, as a whole, develops in its latter stages. But I appreciate both series in most guises--some of the radio dramas do happen to frighten me--and I rather hope that I cherish them both forever.

Last edited:

mrsticky005

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've yet to actually complete YYH. I read the first four volumes and got to the Toguro Bros part in the anime but I was watching it on such low quality that I couldn't continue. Maybe I'll get the blu-ray complete set eventually.

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read both manga, seen bits and pieces of the YYH anime (English dubbed), seen an episode here and there and clips of the HxH 1999 version.

I'm going to have to go with Hunter as my preference, although YYH is a great series. I felt a bit empty inside when finishing the manga, and it left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth. Overall, I like all the main characters of both series. I think Yusuke's a great protagonist. Kurama and Kuwabara are my two favorite characters of the series. And I think Hiei is a little overrated (sorry!).

On the other hand, I like Gon as a main protagonist, and having Killua as a secondary protagonist or deuteragonist is nice. I like the way these two are portrayed and the progression of their friendship. I also feel like some of the things that Togashi didn't expand on in YYH he was able to add into Hunter. Where there were some YYH characters I didn't warm up to as much, I haven't really found an important character in Hunter I've disliked.

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sort of hard to answer...

Yu yu hakusho was the first of togashi's works I've seen and I enjoyed almost everything about it...ALMOST... but from Funimation's hilariously fun dub to the plotting and pacing of the story and characters it's become one of my favorites and to me stood out as to what a fun shounen series should be. With Hunter x Hunter it was undenialbly more darker and serious with only subtle senses of humor and a gritty realisitic world with the stench of death everywhere.

Both have their high points but one has something over the other; With Yu yu hakusho I find that just flat out fun all the time and the dub really helps. Since I'm a person who perfers his fun series over his serious ones thats why I say Yu Yu hakusho wins in that argument, but where HxH wins out is that I acctually give a crap for the side characters and the world/environment for which they live in. No matter how much fun I have with YYH I have to admit the side characters really did not catch my eye much(except the villans) its a damn shame such characters outshine everyon else THAT MUCH that I don't even have a favorite amongst them. In HxH though, the side characters are not only interesting but I can care about them as well and can invest into them what I invest into the Main Characters. plus the world in HxH feels alot more alive and interesting, which given its an adventure sereis it should be, but take alot at non adventure series Index or Durara or hell even baccano. Most of the time its just in one city/train, but you want to see it all for whatever secrets it hides. YYH could have used the spirit angle to help make the worlds more interesting but, he had other plans, which isn't a bad thing in the slightest but it leaves the background as...simply put...the background.

So I guess its a tie?

brigid001

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
This is way too hard!! I love both series too much!! YYH was my first anime to watch though after naruto and I absolutely fell in love with it. It is the only series which I have re-watched so many times and still enjoy it. I believe funi's dub really helped in that regard and I have never went near the sub because of that =D. So because of all that nostalgia I'll have to go with yyh. This is how my ratings go:

YYH anime>HxH manga>HXH 2011 anime>HXH 1999 ANIME> YYH manga

HXH is undoubtedly my fave shonen manga series and is prob top 5 in my manga in general. I really love Togashi for creating two series I adore( oh and level e which is hilarious.) Keep up the great work Togashi!!

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
If there's no "Both are awesome" option, then something is wrong.
Not voted.
Sorry Bro but I'm not tolerating a "BOTH" option

Last edited:

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I wish there was a "both" option, seeing as I love both equally. Hunter x Hunter might just be the better series though. I vote for HxH then.

xScar

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Both series have amazing characters... but the plot for YYH sucks. It's just tournament after tournament.
How does Yusuke become Genkai's student? A tournament.
Why do they go to the Demon World the first time? The Dark Tournament.
How does Yusuke get to Sensui? By defeating his subordinates in a tournament-like manner.
How is the king of the Demon World decided? Another tournament.

Of course I'm simplifying it, but you can't really simplify HxH's plot in the same manner because it's an entirely better written work. Togashi had no idea what he was doing with YYH. It starts off with random stories (most of which got cut out of the anime), does a lot of tournaments after realizing that works, and ends with random stories (which mostly got cut in the anime). While Togashi obviously had another idea for HxH when he initially started it (seriously, chapter one is like a different work entirely), he's been able to develop a very nice and dark-natured story, including the intricate system of Nen, the world of Greed Island, and the Hunter world in general. There's so much creativity and imagination put into HxH that YYH just lacks.

If you were to ask me on just characters, it would indeed be hard to choose... but overall, HxH is without a doubt better, so if you're saying YYH please go re-read. :>

Chrollo

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
HxH of course...YYH isn't that great imo, it's just like any other shounen, HxH beats it in pretty much every way.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Both are great but HxH is superior in literally every way. YYH sadly fell apart in the end, left a lot of loose ends, and sadly instead of focusing on the plot it was really just battle after battle after battle. It's still an amazing battle shonen though, but Hunter x Hunter is the greatest manga and work of art of all time (in my opinion) so it clearly wins.

bambinarubata

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hunter x Hunter .. because the plot is better managed

GingFuriksu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
In terms of quality HUNTER x HUNTER is waay better. I love YuYu Hakusho, its my second favorite series ( number 1 is HxH obviously ) :p

But yeah, that's the truth. In my opinion the only area that YYH is superior than HxH is the four main's characterization. ( except Hiei ) LOL His character is pretty much " I'm badass, that's it " But its REALLY close, and HxH hasn't even ended yet so.... yeah. HxH is going to end up being better than Hakusho in every single way. Man... I heard Hakusho was suppose to be like HxH; more psychological and stuff but his editors said no because back in the 90s it was ALL about fights, fights, fights, fights. Imagine YYH done right..... that would be epic. Besides the Dark Tournament and the Chapter Black Saga, YYH would have been a mediocre series.

ish3

Reaction score
Country
United States
YYH is better in dub nostalgia but it was plain on fun. I can never say I loved any characters from Hxh's main than those of YYH. Even in chapter black the flair of yusuke even was remarkable. Maybe after some years go by I'll truly love hxh in that manner. In plot though hxh is ten times better. Seeing that it wouldn't be ended as abruptly either is good too. I can imagine if he choose to continue the story it would be something like how hxh is turning out. I hope one day he solves all missing subplots similar to that of shaman king (excluding the sequel with his yoh's son) in 3 maybe four volumes nothing more. Hxh is obviously going to win in this forum though lol.

Without YYH I would have never found Hxh so yay me.

GingFuriksu

Reaction score
Country
United States
YYH is better in dub nostalgia but it was plain on fun. I can never say I loved any characters from Hxh's main than those of YYH. Even in chapter black the flair of yusuke even was remarkable. Maybe after some years go by I'll truly love hxh in that manner. In plot though hxh is ten times better. Seeing that it wouldn't be ended as abruptly either is good too. I can imagine if he choose to continue the story it would be something like how hxh is turning out. I hope one day he solves all missing subplots similar to that of shaman king (excluding the sequel with his yoh's son) in 3 maybe four volumes nothing more. Hxh is obviously going to win in this forum though lol.
Without YYH I would have never found Hxh so yay me.
Is Shaman King any good ? I've been wanting to try it out but I'm afraid to read it. I think it might be boring and generic like the big 3, Fairy Tail, Reborn! etc.

How would you compare Shaman King to something like oh..... HxH :3c