Who will be next Admiral?

molecularpepsi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
153
Reaction score
112
Gender
Male
Country
Saudi Arabia
where is it mentioned that there must be "3" admirals at all times?
isn't it mentioned that Garp turned down the position more than once? was he offered the position when there were only 2 admirals?

i think it's safe to assume that had Garp accepted the position we could have 4 admirals right now.

i guess my point is perhaps the WG will be content with only 2 juggernaut admirals until they identify a qualified contender.

i mean its probably quality not quantity that they are looking for.

from what we all saw in the WB war, none of the VP showed anything special, none of them pwned anyone worth mentioning.

on the other hand, the admirals matched WB stride for stride and were causing havoc and destruction all over the battlefield. they changed the nature of the battlefield a couple of times, for crying out loud!

an admiral, in my opinion needs to be a logia by necessity, we all saw the kind of blows the admirals took in that war and had they not been logias they all would be dead by now or at least would not have dared to fight so aggressively.

to my knowledge none of the current known VAs seems to fit the bill.

smoker is a very attractive candidate, however he is clearly not at admiral fighting level yet, and i'm not sure he'd ever accept the position.

i would love to have some badass unknown VA take the job, someone we have never met or seen, perhaps someone on a secret mission in the new world or something.

i believe that Magellan would be interested in hunting down all the prisoners that escaped and bring them all back to impel down, which may tempt him to actually ask to join the marines, opening the way for him to eventually become the next admiral.

and even though he was beaten, possibly by BB and his crew, he has so far shown that he is a powerhouse that is not to be taken lightly, and in my opinion no other character affiliated with the WG outside of the Shichibukai and admirals comes even close. Magellan FTW!

just thought i'd push the discussion in different directions, let me know what your thoughts are.
 
Last edited:

Wisshard

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2010
Messages
130
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
^You are right that nothing have been said that three admirals is a necessity, however it'd take the heart out of the topic if we all assumed that... (though I think you are right, that Kong and the Gorousei would prefer only two admirals fit for their posts over promoting someone just for the number three (though it is a lucky one number ^))

Personally, I wouldn't mind a Zoan-user or a purely physical powerhouse as Admiral since the type of fruit (or the lack of one) doesn't seem to matter all that much at the higherst tiers (i.e. Whitebeard (Paramecia), Marco (Zoan) and Shanks (presumably) no DF).

You are right that no one of the Vice Admirals stood out and gave an impressive display of power as the Admirals did, but then we weren't shown all that much of them.

If not Strawberry-san, then I think it'd be cool to see an hardened veteran VA from G5 (the marine base in the New World) who is an Awakened Zoan-user promoted to Admiral.
 
Last edited:

vagabond87

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,212
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
an admiral, in my opinion needs to be a logia by necessity, we all saw the kind of blows the admirals took in that war and had they not been logias they all would be dead by now or at least would not have dared to fight so aggressively.
In my opinion Garp(he wasnt Admiral but Kong offerd him that position so..) and Sengoku werent logias and they were able to handle the jobs ;)
Imagine some Admiral who is not logia with douriki over 9000(:p) and Tekkai Kenpo(Tekkai active even when moving- Jyabura was able to use that). That kind of person wont mind any cannon fire or any attacks from non haki users.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think it'd be a requirement to be a logia.... logia would have certain advantages but lets remember those advantages would be useless against strong enough people. Haki users can damage logia so basically intangibility would only be useful to scare fodder or weakened enemies against whom intangibility would not be a necessity in the first place. I guess it could have other uses but not to the point where not being a logia means you can't be an admiral.
 

zerocooldx

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
5,980
Reaction score
3,579
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Even though Aokiji was recommended to become the next Fleet Admiral by Sengoku i think that the WG, mainly the Gorosei, are going to have the final say on who becomes the new Admiral and Fleet Admiral. I think they will appoint Akainu as Fleet Admiral and then introduce a WG figure to take his place as Admiral. I think the change within the Marines is rather apparent now, "noble" Marines such as Garp and Sengoku are on their way out. While figures like Akainu and even the WG really took center stage during the war that the Marines had with the WB pirates. Their version of justice seems to be different from even someone like Sengoku. So i can see Akainu being allowed to become Fleet Admiral and thus spread the idea of Absolute Justice, which very much so seems to be a WG thing. And the new Admiral, whom i think will be a WG figure, will only solidify this ideological shift that the Marines seem to be quietly undertaking.
 

bittman

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
1,746
Reaction score
929
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I see a lot of people saying "Oh but the Gorousei will promote Akainu. I mean, he's evil. They're evil. It's all evil!"

Fatal flaw in this logic is the impression of the Gorousei people seem to have. Sure, they are a representation of evil in the One Piece story. However, they didn't get there by being idiots and ruling through fear.

The Gorousei need a strong marine force and strong alliances with it's allied nations. They aren't going to acheive this by putting an angry loyal dog as head of the navy to inspire a new generation of marines through fear and mass-murder.

If we go by namesake, the Blue Pheasant should represent the calm and wise being. You want wisdom at the head of an operation as large as the marines, not something that barks and bites.

----

On Admiral though: I doubt we need another logia, and it definitely isnt a requirement. A Zoan would seem like the easy choice (seeing as the marines seem to be full of Zoans) and would also give some good combat scenes because that's really what Zoans were built for. I still want John Giant though.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The Admirals negated an attack made by a Devil Fruit power (and Sentomaru negated Luffy's rubber defense and Gomu attack) with (what I assume was) Haki. Following that line of thought, Hancock's Mero Mero Mellow technique should be no different since it is, essentially, a Devil Fruit attack. That is, however, only speculation.

Even if I'm wrong, and you can't use Haki to defend against Hancock's Mero Mero techniques, I'd think that the Admirals have sufficient self-control to avoid being turned into stone without resorting to stab themselves (whereas Momonga required present pain to focus upon to escape the love technique (hence the self inflicted wound)).



I was under the impression that the adrenaline hormones supplied you with a burst of adrenaline (hence relieved you of tension from any pain and fatigue (as adrenaline does)). So as the adrenaline gradually runs out, Luffy would gradually begin to feel all the fatigue and pain he had stockpiled (and the adrenaline were obviously running out by the time he got the "fodder treatment" by Momonga and the unnamed VA).
And the 24 hours thing was the after effect that Iva-chan warned Luffy about, that'd be a price to pay later for the extra energy.



Any of the three Admirals would indeed have little to no trouble with the entire Straw Hat crew, as they can't even harm them so I assume you meant the VA's. And though I certainly agree that there should be a few among them (barring Garp) strong enough for that, I don't think it's implied that Momonga would be one of them...
If every single one of the VA's is strong enough to solo the Straw Hats without a scratch to tell the tale, it'd make the Shichibukai (at least Crocodile (who fought skirmishes with Doflamingo and Mihawk) and Moria (though the Gorousei seemingly agrees with that thought ^) absolutly redundant.
I don't think haki can "negate" DFs, I'd find that idea very queer. That is BB fruit ability, I think haki can hurt fruit users for reasons different from that. If haki could negate a DF then basically anyone would be capable of doing what BB does, there would be no need for his fruit. I think the mechanism behind hurting fruit users is different from that. In that sense, for instance luffy would not stop being rubber when hit by a haki user (which would happen if his ability was negated).

I don't think the admirals are that above the VA in any way... Least of all self control lol... I mean, just look at how the have behaved so far. If I do recall aokiji even asked nami on a when he first met her.

http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece/chapter-539/page012.html
Ivankov said luffy would be able to ignore his fatigue for a day. If that is the case, then luffy's performance against the VAs was less than acceptable.

I don't see how the WG could have thought they had a chance against the WB pirates if the VAs were someone a rookie like luffy could take. The commanders alone would have been too much considering each of them had it in them to at least stand up to the admirals or shichibukai. The VA must necessarily have a level of strength a rookie like luffy could not even hope to match. How else would the WG keep in check the yonkou along with their subordinates and the pirates who follow closely after them?
 

RichardMNixon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
908
Reaction score
285
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Luffy had received the adrenaline hormones and was in gear two. Hormones allow him to ignore fatigue and we all know what gear 2 does.
No, he turned Gear 2 on after being cut by Momonga - that's when the Dalmation VA shigan'd him. I'm also not sure how dodging one attack and hitting someone with a sword once is "giving the fodder treatment."
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
No, he turned Gear 2 on after being cut by Momonga - that's when the Dalmation VA shigan'd him. I'm also not sure how dodging one attack and hitting someone with a sword once is "giving the fodder treatment."
What attack did luffy dodge? I am reasonably sure all of the VA got him very cleanly. Otherwise there would not be blood in the frames.
 

Aikidoka

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2008
Messages
758
Reaction score
498
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Luffy isn't a good indicator of Momonga or the dog guy's strength -- neither side was at full strength, and it was one of those wild skirmishes that the WB War was full of. If it was a one-on-one with one of those two, the outcome would most likely be different.

Anyway, I agree with whoever said on page 3 (EDIT: Wisshard) that Momonga is strong, but not Admiral level. Admiral level is way above what we usually see from 'strong' people...for example, no one would argue that Luffy is definitely strong, but he got curbstomped by Aokiji. The Admirals are in an entire other league, but that doesn't make the others (VAs, Shichibukai, SHs) weak.
 

jourrel

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
140
Reaction score
5
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
I think it's a new guy from the VA like someone that has a power like water water fruit or something so that he will fit the aokiji title
 

hdiuy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
1,885
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
So far i don't think any of the remaining VA is strong enough to make it to admiral yet. But then again we havn't seen much of the VAs so its kinda hard to judge. Maybe it would be a retired marine who will be the next admiral, though i'm kinda hoping that maybe just maybe the old lady would be the next admiral.
 

elitefox

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,857
Reaction score
679
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
where is it mentioned that there must be "3" admirals at all times?
isn't mentioned that Garp turned down the position more than once? was he offered the position when there were only 2 admirals?

i think it's safe to assume that had Garp accepted the position we could have 4 admirals right now.

i guess my point is perhaps the WG will be content with only 2 juggernaut admirals until they identify a qualified contender.

i mean its probably quality not quantity that they are looking for.

from what we all saw in the WB war, none of the VP showed anything special, none of them pwned anyone worth mentioning.

on the other hand, the admirals matched WB stride for stride and were causing havoc and destruction all over the battlefield. they changed the nature of the battlefield a couple of times, for crying out loud!

an admiral, in my opinion needs to be a logia by necessity, we all saw the kind of blows the admirals took in that war and had they not been logias they all would be dead by now or at least would not have dared to fight so aggressively.

to my knowledge none of the current known VAs seems to fit the bill.

smoker is a very attractive candidate, however he is clearly not at admiral fighting level yet, and i'm not sure he'd ever accept the position.

i would love to have some badass unknown VA take the job, someone we have never met or seen, perhaps someone on a secret mission in the new world or something.

i believe that Magellan would be interested in hunting down all the prisoners that escaped and bring them all back to impel down, which may tempt him to actually ask to join the marines, opening the way for him to eventually become the next admiral.

and even though he was beaten, possibly by BB and his crew, he has so far shown that he is a powerhouse that is not to be taken lightly, and in my opinion no other character affiliated with the WG outside of the Shichibukai and admirals comes even close. Magellan FTW!

just thought i'd push the discussion in different directions, let me know what your thoughts are.
lol, the fleet admiral is not a logia :D though Buddha like or something alike lol

Garp doesn't have any DF and can swim I bet as far as rayleigh and punch several seakings in the way :D


Unless recognize as strong enough or feared or his/her name can bring terror then he/she might be qualified as admiral.
 

Wisshard

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2010
Messages
130
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I don't think haki can "negate" DFs, I'd find that idea very queer. That is BB fruit ability, I think haki can hurt fruit users for reasons different from that. If haki could negate a DF then basically anyone would be capable of doing what BB does, there would be no need for his fruit. I think the mechanism behind hurting fruit users is different from that. In that sense, for instance luffy would not stop being rubber when hit by a haki user (which would happen if his ability was negated).
I did not say that Haki-user could negate Devil Fruit themselves, as Blackbeard's Yami Yami fruit is capable of. What I suggested was that Haki may be used to defend against Devil Fruit techniques/attacks (i.e. Whitebeard's quake).

http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece/chapter-539/page012.html
Ivankov said luffy would be able to ignore his fatigue for a day. If that is the case, then luffy's performance against the VAs was less than acceptable.
If that was the case, then how come Luffy gradually showed signs of exhaustion in the war and finally needed one more adrenaline shot to stand up?
I interpret Iva-chans words differently, that his hormones gives an adrenaline boost that make you capable of ignoring fatigue and pain (to an extent). It usually last for a day, but Luffy struggled and fought hard and so ran out of his adrenaline boost much quicker.

I don't see how the WG could have thought they had a chance against the WB pirates if the VAs were someone a rookie like luffy could take. The commanders alone would have been too much considering each of them had it in them to at least stand up to the admirals or shichibukai. The VA must necessarily have a level of strength a rookie like luffy could not even hope to match. How else would the WG keep in check the yonkou along with their subordinates and the pirates who follow closely after them?
I said I didn't think everyone of the Vice Admirals are capable of stomping the entire Straw Hat crew solo-style. I did not say Luffy could beat them mano-mano. Indeed, I acknowledged in an earlier post that I think Momonga is stronger then Luffy (and so subsequently, the majority of the other VA's (as I've made a case that Momonga is nothing special among them)).

However, I don't think they all are so near the Admirals in fighting strength as you (seemingly) does. The Admirals were portrayed as incredible strong, and have had impressive feats in the manga while the Vice Admirals fought fodder, the lower tiers of the WB commander's and NW Captains.
I could see a few of the VA's (barring Garp) with exceptional fighting strength close to the Admirals, such as Onigumo (who managed to cuff Marco (while casually smoking at that!)) but not the group as a whole.
 

Ero-Sanji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
3,195
Reaction score
2,554
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I don't think haki can "negate" DFs, I'd find that idea very queer. That is BB fruit ability, I think haki can hurt fruit users for reasons different from that. If haki could negate a DF then basically anyone would be capable of doing what BB does, there would be no need for his fruit. I think the mechanism behind hurting fruit users is different from that. In that sense, for instance luffy would not stop being rubber when hit by a haki user (which would happen if his ability was negated).
This is very interesting. I reread the battle between Luffy and the Boa sisters and I can't say Luffy's fruit got negated. Yeah, he did lose his rubber defense but he could still stretch, at least his legs:

http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece/chapter-519/page010.html

When Rayleigh faced Kizaru, he did manage to solidify him by hurting him but Kizaru's fruit wasn't negated since the sword was still intact. Jozu vs Aokiji was the same. While bleeding and taking damage Aokiji still cracked like ice. Then recently Shanks stopped Akainu's attack but his fist was still made out of Lava.

So, imo you're right Haki as we know it doesn't negate the fruits like BB does but defining what it does is hard.

I've also been very hard towards Momonga due to his humiliating "loss" against Hancock. And until today I thought he had a weak Haki to not be able to "negate" the effects of her fruit but now when I think about it, it's actually crystal clear why he "lost".

Haki as we know it works it's mysterious ways only to physical attacks meaning that attacks like Gomu Gomu no Pistol and Perfume femur are able to get "negated" while Mero Mero Mellow and say Yasakani no Magatama of Kizaru are impossible to "negate" since they are already "independent" and not a part of the opponent.

This would explain why Momonga couldn't negate the effects of Mero Mero Mellow as well as why Rayleigh redirected the beam of Kizaru rather than stopping it completely. So, judging Momonga for his kneeling is wrong and if it were a real fight Momonga would have still been able to fight and perhaps even win. Anyway, I still vote for Onigumo for his feats and the next admiral will surely be weaker than the other two.
 

Wisshard

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2010
Messages
130
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
So, imo you're right Haki as we know it doesn't negate the fruits like BB does but defining what it does is hard.
No one was debuting the point, it seems pretty clear by now that the Yami Yami has an unique ability in that it completely nullify Devil Fruits from anyone Blackbeard touches.
Haki is forming up to be a formidable tool and seemingly has a great variations of abilities it offers, but Haki attacks (from what we have been shown) works differently from the Yami Yami fruit. Instead of nullify the Devil Fruit, it seems to bypass the Devil Fruit properties (i.e. Luffy's rubber body, a logia-users intangibility).

Haki as we know it works it's mysterious ways only to physical attacks meaning that attacks like Gomu Gomu no Pistol and Perfume femur are able to get "negated" while Mero Mero Mellow and say Yasakani no Magatama of Kizaru are impossible to "negate" since they are already "independent" and not a part of the opponent.
It is a debatable point, though I think that you are wrong. Here we see the Admirals (presumably) use Haki to defend against Whitebeard's quake, which was as much "independent" as Hancock's Mero Mero Mellow or Borsalino's beams.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
What are onigumo's feats? He is probably a beast given that he would seem to be a swordsman who can use 8 swords along with haki but I don't think he has shown actual feats.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think what Haki does is to (Trough understanding) make some things happen. Let me explain:
If fire can't be touched, Haki makes it "touchable" without changing other characteristic. If "Quake" is unstoppable, then they make stoppable. If light can't be caught, then makes it catchable. When the will is just too strong, the order in the mind of the weaker are different. So if someone shouts stop, the "will" will make everyone to stop and for the weaklings it would mean "faint" or "stop completely"
I think Haki is not just the ultimate level but instead has some levels inside it that doesn't fit in "Regular Haki" and "King's Disposition". I think it goes further than that, but at this point it's only a guessing based in other "Ki" systems (Like Nen in HxH, without the divisions)

As far as I get it, Haki is the power to make things happen and alter the physics in some way. Not that OP is hardcore heavy with physics anyway :P
 

Ero-Sanji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
3,195
Reaction score
2,554
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
What are onigumo's feats? He is probably a beast given that he would seem to be a swordsman who can use 8 swords along with haki but I don't think he has shown actual feats.
Well first he was the one instructed to escort Ace. That's huge, imo. Then again the way he showed up behind Marco and handcuffed him. Oda could have picked anyone. So I'm guessing he has special plans for him.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well first he was the one instructed to escort Ace. That's huge, imo. Then again the way he showed up behind Marco and handcuffed him. Oda could have picked anyone. So I'm guessing he has special plans for him.
I don't think him being there to scort ace counts as a feat.... Perhaps he did show decent speed to sneak up on marco though. Not sure I would consider those feats though, I mean, he technically scorted a man who had sea stone cuffs up his ass and marco did just receive two clean hits from kizaru. Not saying the guy is weak though (I do expect him to be someone capable measurable strength, someone who'd make a rookie look like fodder) just that he does not have feats...
 
Top