Discussion - Why do you like Manga? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Why do you like Manga?

hajime22

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hello.
I am a Japanese college student. I love manga.
And now,I want to know why people loves Japanese manga.
Do you like Japanese manga?
Why do you love Japanese manga ?
What is Japanese manga's appeal that difference from American comic?
please give me your opinion.
:)

petrifcus_totalus

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
hi there how're you doing? well as for me i like manga because its a good read. Actually I only read two mangas for now that is Bleach and Naruto. Also, i think the great appeal of the japanese manga is that it got lots of humor ^_^ than the american comics.

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi haji :glomp

Well i like manga casue of all the reasons everyone else likes it casue of the pics,story, and humor, and maybe the topics of the series casue sometimes that can effect if you fall in love with a series or if you just hate it.But i love most of the manga i read.

Raphael91

Reaction score
Country
Poland
How's it goin' . Well I love manga because i'm not a realist, and reading manga gives me the impresion that i'm in a diifrent world. I realy like that impression. So for example when i read naruto or after i watch an episode i can imagine myself as a ninja with cool techniques or after i watch bleach i imagine myself as a shinigami killing espada or things like that. I also like the sense of humor. My favourite anime :
1 Claymore
2 Bleach
3 Naruto.
'The main difference from the American comics is that most of the american comicses are about super heroes and things like that. I don't like the whole idea.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello.
I am a Japanese college student. I love manga.
And now,I want to know why people loves Japanese manga.
Do you like Japanese manga?
Why do you love Japanese manga ?
There are two main reasons for me:
1. When I was very young, very young I grew up with anime like dragonball z, saint seiya, city hunter, kinikkuman and others on french television (though I didn't understand anything of it). I loved it so much that I was dissapointed when I couldn't watch it anymore (french channel wasn't available anymore in belgium and in my country it lacks of interest in manga or anime).
2. I like it because of the art, the stories (seinen, shounen) and I wanted to start reading manga (manga the comics were lots of good anime are based on). They are published faster than the coloured western comics. And like the one above said: I think you indeed escape the real world due to manga compared to western comics

What is Japanese manga's appeal that difference from American comic?
please give me your opinion.
:)
Well I can't answer since I never read american comics (maybe because of the patriotism in american comics: capitain america, superman, spiderman their clothes have the colours of the american flag :s -> I certainly don't hate america or americans but their pattriotism is sometimes exagerated). Maybe I like manga is more than the american/european comics because the dialogue/story is more important, longer,.... There's a long story behind it which mostly lasts longer than 2-3 volumes (okay there are different arcs but there's always a main story). I also like the messages in dialogues about friendship, value of life, etc... Maybe a kind of filosofy. But mainly the art and stories are way cooler and better

Last edited:

bunshindattebayo

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Cause it has a good story,character development,humour,& of course..........THE BATTLE ACTION SCENE!!!!!!!!

Sorata

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Well for me, i like everything about japan, i´m a guy of great self-discipline and my real life heroes are Bruce Lee and Myamoto Musashi, i read everything:Shoujo, Seinen and Shonen, i like it mostly because of the hardwork thing, in mostly mangas everyone gives everything for their goals and that real gets me pumped up, i have already read more than 200 mangas.
My favorite manga is Berserk because is just great, Guts suffers more than everyone and still fight monsters all the time without sleep or rest.
My favorite quote is "Those with a strong desire don´t care about themselves until they´ve fullfiled that desire. That is why they are strong" from Tsubasa Chronicles(about Syaoran).
My favorite character is Seijuurou Shin from Eyeshield 21, because he is everything that i want to be, not just because of his strength in the manga but because of his personality, he is a guy who never loose´s his self-conceit, he never become loose, he´s will is undefeatble and overwhelming, so in my point of view, Shin as an athlete and person is perfect; just watching him gets me pumped up.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My reasoning is nowhere near as amazing as anyone else's here.
I have an addictive personality. Between Gundam Wing, pokemon, Dbz and Cowboy Bebop as a child on tv, to Shaman King as i got older, i loved watching them.
And so i found out aobut manga one day, and got shaman king 1-3

and something just struck me about them. ever since that random feeling of awesome, i've loved them.

dr_ndr

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
The main difference from the American comics is that most of the american comicses are about super heroes and things like that. I don't like the whole idea.
Yeah and I am especially sick of superman.

I also grew up watching dragonball, captain tsubasa, sailor moon and others like them.

Then I wanted to watch more and watched naruto,bleach,shaman king and all great series I could find. Then sometime i heard shaman king and full metal alchemist mangas were different from the animes. Also heard naruto being crappy was because it was going filler(my saver from abondoning the series completely) and first started reading naruto manga from start. I caught up and read bleach and others. As I read manga I was annoyed by time downloading and watching animes took. I read more and more, I became less interested in anime. And Naruto anime became more and more crappier. We waited long for part 2 and I was disappointed with it. I tried watching One Piece because I read the whole manga and thought it would be good seeing the fights animated. But I didn't like it. It didn't meet my expectations and was mixed with fillers highly. After that I completely stopped watching anime. No matter how fun it's supposed to be, I can't stand it more than 3 minutes or so. Now I've become addicted to manga(my only one, I always loved books and stories but wasn't so impatient about it).

the mangas I read and am still reading(alphabetical order, there may be some I forgot):
Arigatou
Bitter Virgin
Bleach
Captain Tsubasa
D.Gray Man
Darker than black
Dragon Ball
Enchanter
Five
Full Metal Alchemist
Hellsing
Law of Ueki
Love Hina
MegamanX(Rokkuman's international name I like the original names better, I also played all games for gameboy and PC expect X7)
Naruto
Mahou Sensei Negima
Negima Neo
One Piece
Pokémon Adventures
Rurouni Kenshin
Shaman King
Wind Mill

Last edited:

mitokomon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
I grew up watching those animes as well. Wonder why ^^'
I started reading manga, after I found trc's first volume in a book store. I can still remember, how excited I was...
I read few american comics, but they were all kind of alike so, japanese manga came a lot more interesting to me at that time^^
Now I try to read, different kinds of mangas, cause in the end some of them start to repeat itself or they use the same story...

Maora

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hmm I think I like Manga because it's more down to earth than Comics. Comics generally speaking focus on super heroes and I know Manga (depending on the genre) have a more realistic focus. I also tend to think comics/graphic novels take themselves too seriously.

In the end I dunno. Manga just feels more loveable. I enjoy reading them for their storyline and humor, the imagery and work that was put into it.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, as a reader for both American Comics and Manga, I have a thing or two to say.
First, while most american comics are about superheroes, some that aren't about superheroes are just as awesome.

And if you're talking about imaginary powers, i'm sure you can find that both in manga and in comics. As for character development, while most manga are written by a single (or a team of mangaka), a lot of American Comics characters is written by different creative team (writer, artist, inker, colorist, letterer, cover artist). Thus, you'll have a variety of character development. For example, Peter Parker started as the skinny nerd that no one cares about. He then becomes Spider-Man and he's Peter Parker, the Daily Bugle photographer, science teacher, avengers member and etc. Though he is the Spider-Man, he still faces many problems like we all do, such as paying rent, school tuition, fixing his ripped costume. Therefor we have a long development of characters.

It's the same with manga. Naruto started as that below the average ranking gennin striving to be a hokage. He then faced so many battles, heart breaks and heartaches (mostly caused by Sasuke). Then after hundreds of chapter, we got Tsunade-sama saying that Naruto is a likely candidate for hokage. Ichigo Kurosaki started as the substitute shinigami and now he can at least go up against a 6th ranked espada.

As for stories, there are comics written by famous sci-fi writers, like Ron Marz or Orson Scott Card; or pulitzer winner like Brad Meltzer; or tv show creators like Jeph Loeb (executive producer for Heroes), Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel), Damon Lindeloff (Lost), and Allan Heinberg (The O.C.).
And artwise, comics artist can whip up an art that can drop your jaw. Look at works by Jim Lee (who graduated from Princenton with a degree as a medical doctor), Andy & Adam Kubert, James Jean , Michael Turner (whom is currently struggling from cancer while still coming up with awesome comic covers week after week), Greg Horn, Adam Hughes and the name that equals awesome drawings, Alex Ross (do click the link to visit his site).

So, what i'm saying is, don't hate it before you really get to know it. We got an American Comics Section, visit it, ask around for recommended titles, open up. Thanks. :D

spades

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
my bro influenced me :)

ssjohn

Reaction score
Country
United States
@ Ichimaru Gin n Tonic awsome point :)

One of the reason's i don't like American comics as much is becuase the superhero comics most of the time do not have ending where japanese manga's all have endings (even if they are cliffhanger endings you don't have 20 authors and 30 artist working on one series)

There are some good comics but there are some bad manga's too so its just depeneds on your taste i mean if you were to go to a all american comic series you would get tons of reasons why American comics are better then Japanese manga's so i nthe end i think it just depeneds on your taste :)

merru

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
grew up with it ....so now i'm stuck with it for the rest of my life ..hahaha..
but anyway ..i what i really like about japanese mangas is the artwork ....
something like ken akamatsu's perhaps?

bucksNcents

Reaction score
Country
Germany
mangas are more levelful than comics, which i have always liked, too.
i also love the Japanese culture and well, the topics in some mangas are really awesome and those i have come across were always surprising me...
i love how mangas do, what comics don't generally do, or at least do well: tell stories and combine them with humor instead of the other way around...
this applies to those manga genres I like and read...
my favorite genre is romance haha :D

trikelandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Manga can become very addictive and may be able to take you to another world. After reading PoT it made me want to get onto the tennis courts and try all the moves the manga characters have...

Manga is soo cool, fun and enjoyable to read!!!

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I love to read manga because I love the way they are drawn and the feelings and thoughts behind each story. When I read a manga, I can forget about reality and enter my dream world. I can meet Bishounen in manga (and most of the time being obsessed with them afterwards xD), I can read about action and fantasy in worlds that would never exist in real life and I can try to find myself in a character that acts in the manga.

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love to read manga because I enjoy how manga is written. Seeing how an imaginary world is drawn with thoughts and feelings behind each story is addicting. The limit to an imaginary universe is the mangaka's imagination. There is no limit to how a story can be written. It can be supernatural, action, comedy, ecchi, horror, etc etc.

Just reading this stuff gets to be addicting.

Windmillblade

Reaction score
Country
United States
i like manga because it is simply the best baby yeah.