Will a strawhat ever be offered a shichibukai position?

luffyq1

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
447
Reaction score
94
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If Luffy does get the offer to become a shichibukai, then only he will get that offer, no one else. It has been indicated numerous times that only captains will be qualified to earn that title. Captain getting offered the title and the first mate? Ridiculous! Captain getting the only offer? Makes much more sense and is better. Mihawk is an exception because we really don't know too much about his past.
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
With the exception your whole theory goes down, we don't know about Kuma too. It was implied that only the strong and feared will join, often that's just the captain with the rest being mediocre, that's not the case with the Strawhats, not anymore. But being seen as threatening as they are and after all they chaos they caused, that won't happen anyway.
 

Bigfoot187

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
98
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Come on as a shibukai you ARE bound to some things and the SH mutual interest and especially their captain's is to be free.
So even if they we're offered one Luffy and the others would decline.

Next to that do you really think they would offer it to someone who raided the 3 great establishments of the WG?

They destroyed ennes lobbie destroyed CP9, luffy broke out of impel down and took lots of high class prisoners with him.
He is the son of the MOST wanted man in the world so in their eyes he IS conected to dragon even if they don't have contact.
And not forget the stepbrother of the son of the PK.

So it seems MOST unlikely they would offer luffy the positiion and the others arent feared enough to be offered the position.

caus every shibukai has a huge bounty like luffy's 400 million berry.
the others aren't even close.
 

rosco12

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
129
Reaction score
147
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
caus every shibukai has a huge bounty like luffy's 400 million berry.
the others aren't even close.
actually, crocodile bounty was only 80 millions.


I m not even sure that you need to be captain since jimbei might not have been when they consider him for the position
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hancock too, with Kuma, Moria, Jinbe and Doflamingo around 300, which Zoro might get in one of the next few arcs.
 

Bigfoot187

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
98
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
actually, crocodile bounty was only 80 millions.


I m not even sure that you need to be captain since jimbei might not have been when they consider him for the position
You got me there, but still lookin at the situation I still don't find it likely

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

If Luffy does get the offer to become a shichibukai, then only he will get that offer, no one else. It has been indicated numerous times that only captains will be qualified to earn that title. Captain getting offered the title and the first mate? Ridiculous! Captain getting the only offer? Makes much more sense and is better. Mihawk is an exception because we really don't know too much about his past.
yeah Mihawk is kinda of a lowner but well known caus he IS the strongest swordsman in the world so by that qualified.
 

luffyq1

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
447
Reaction score
94
Gender
Male
Country
United States
With the exception your whole theory goes down, we don't know about Kuma too. It was implied that only the strong and feared will join, often that's just the captain with the rest being mediocre, that's not the case with the Strawhats, not anymore. But being seen as threatening as they are and after all they chaos they caused, that won't happen anyway.
My theory still stands strong, even though I didn't mention "Kuma". (which I didn't feel the need to address that since him and Mihawk are basically a mystery on the shichubaki choosing). And even if it does reveal that Mihawk and Kuma were loners, it doesn't even come close to outweighing the captains getting offered the title of a shichibukai, more than a loner.
 
Last edited:

Jassaray

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
248
Reaction score
139
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Any of the SH crew potentially becoming a Shichibukai is a preposterous theory. Absolutely nothing that the SH stand for would be served by them assisting the World Govt, ESPECIALLY seeing as they openly declared war on them during the Enies Lobby arc. Not to mention their attacks on the Nobles at the Slave Auction.

I can't see any way at all that this might even remotely happen and if it did, I would be incredibly disappointed because that would mean Oda has forgotten the main motivations and ideals behind his main characters.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,329
Reaction score
24,939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The strawhats have no grand motivations or ideals though (in essence they stand for nothing in particular). The only reason they joined the crew was because they had their dreams and their dreams were achievable by joining the crew. Not one of the is interested in grand ideals or fighting for principle. Its not like the strawhats are out there to take out the WG either, they have fought them simply because at times they have been in their way. If it was up to the strawhats they would not care about them one way or another IMO. Luffy, franky and robin are the only ones who have personal issues with the world government but outside of them I could see the others considering the offer if it meant to get the marines of their backs.
 

Jassaray

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
248
Reaction score
139
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
The SH are bonded by more than just a loose connection of personal ambition. You are correct in saying that only Robin, Franky and Luffy have personal issues with the WG but one of the points of being Nakama is that one member's fight becomes the crew's fight. I think you're painting the crew to be more aloof and opportunistic than they really are. Yes they intially joined for their own reasons but I think there is ample evidence now to suggest that their bonds as Nakama outweigh their own personal goals.

Also, if the SH didn't stand for anything in particular then why did Luffy fight so hard for the freedom of Alabasta? Because Vivi was their Nakama and because it meant something to her. That's the power of Nakama. With that in mind, I cannot see how any other SH would join the Shichibukai because I don't see how they could just cast aside their Nakama's feelings towards the WG.

I believe the SH have very strong ideals of personal freedom and moral justice. They have always fought for those who are oppressed or enslaved by physical means or simply by circumstance. You are correct in that they don't directly oppose the WG by choice like someone in Dragon's position, but I just can't accept that they would join an organization that has mistreated and abused their own Nakama.
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,329
Reaction score
24,939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
^Luffy fought for alabasta not to defend the royal family or because whatever political system crocodile tried to implement was wrong, he fought crocodile because vivi was his friend. Obviously there is a real bond between the strawhats but overall they still are not interested in politics nor they have any preference for any type in particular.

The strawhats do value personal freedom but they have no sense of moral justice of any form. The manga has repeatedly shown that, specially in these two links:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v32/c301/2.html
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v59/c634/4.html

The strawhats through the manga have repeatedly helped those they deemed as their friends, not because their friends stood for what they thought was right but simply because of the merit of admitted those as friends. In this regard we have to face the crude reality that the strawhats are far more similar to a mafia than to a freedom fighting group. Alabasta and fishman island are just lucky that the strawhats became friends with them but if circumstances were different then they would have been just as likely to trash the places and walk away (obviously the strawhats do avoid reckless murdering and hurting innocent but I think I made my point). More so, as far as the strawhats are concerned every time the government has done something against them they have delivered proper retribution (except for ace perhaps). I would even have my doubts that even luffy holds a grudge against the world government itself. He definitely holds a grudge against akainu however that does not necessarily mean that his grudge extents to the world government as a whole. If that was the case he would not see coby as a friend. Its not like luffy was not aware that ace was doing illegal stuff and it was the world government's job to put him down in the end.
 

Jassaray

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
248
Reaction score
139
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
The strawhats do value personal freedom but they have no sense of moral justice of any form. The manga has repeatedly shown that, specially in these two links:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v32/c301/2.html
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v59/c634/4.html

The strawhats through the manga have repeatedly helped those they deemed as their friends, not because their friends stood for what they thought was right but simply because of the merit of admitted those as friends. In this regard we have to face the crude reality that the strawhats are far more similar to a mafia than to a freedom fighting group.
I disagree that they have no sense of moral justice and I don't think that the odd occasions you've linked are proof that they don't. Regardless of what they say, their actions speak for themselves. Moral justice does not always extend to consistently doing good, the Straw Hats are pirates after all. But I strongly believe that their motivations are rooted in doing good rather than haphazardly sailing the seas and only helping people because they'll get something out of it.

Yes they help those who they consider Nakama, but I don't believe that is enough to justify the lengths at which they go to do so without them having a basic desire to do good. Multiple characters have remarked at how Luffy doesn't seem like a pirate and it's because he doesn't. Yeah he sails the seas and wants to be the Pirate King but his actions and the actions of his crew point to a deeper desire to live free and to help those on their way to live free as well.

They might not want to change the world as part of their goal, but they're certainly not resisting it. If they had no moral compass to guide them, I personally doubt that they would have done half the stuff they had. It's that moral grounding that makes them who they are and make no mistake, they are revolutionaries in every sense of the word. I just can't accept that they do what they do for purely selfish reasons and nothing more.

EDIT: I can see us going in a cyclical debate here. Funnily enough I mentioned this thread to my wife and for the record she agrees with you in that while they do good things, she doesn't believe they feel morally obligated to do so. I guess i'm outnumbered, I might debate with you but I surely won't debate with her O_O

In the end, I guess I have a different viewpoint on why they are doing what they are doing. One day I might be convinced that they are just committing random acts without any real moral base to them, but I doubt i'll be accepting of one of them joining the Shichibukai.

On another note, if one were to join, who do you think it might be, purely hypothetical of course. If I had to pick, I'd say Zoro. He may have similar reasons to whatever Mihawk's reasoning is and he is one of the more realistic Straw Hats. Maybe he'll defeat Mihawk and take his place, who knows :)
 
Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The problem with both of you is that you're using different concepts of Moral. And Moral is actually something that should be different in each person because it's variable depending on how you are.
Strawhats HAVE a strong sense of moral, which consists primary in freedom and friendship.

Take a look that Justice and Moral can't be politically in the same sentence or we have suddenly things like Aikanu versus Coby discussion.
 

matzik1212

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
1,646
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
The strawhats have no grand motivations or ideals though (in essence they stand for nothing in particular). The only reason they joined the crew was because they had their dreams and their dreams were achievable by joining the crew. Not one of the is interested in grand ideals or fighting for principle. Its not like the strawhats are out there to take out the WG either, they have fought them simply because at times they have been in their way. If it was up to the strawhats they would not care about them one way or another IMO. Luffy, franky and robin are the only ones who have personal issues with the world government but outside of them I could see the others considering the offer if it meant to get the marines of their backs.
I agree with most of what you said but i have a remark to add :)....it's true the others SH's except for Luffy, Robin and Franky don't have anything personal with the marines but if by any chance a offer does come to one of them i'm positive they wouldn't even consider it and the reason would be Luffy :D ....They know very well through all he went through 'cause of them and WG wants Luffy dead so i don't think they will consider the offer simply 'cause they respect Luffy and they would do everything for him
I think only if Luffy agrees to this request they will accept it otherwise i don't see it possible ...

I personally don't think there is such a crazy guy in WG who would offer a position to a SH knowing the infamous things they have in their record but everything is possible so we will wait and see ^_^
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
No Strawhat will likely accept the WG position mainly because of the whole nakama belief. As observed, they're willing to do anything for their nakama and especially for Luffy - Zoro bowed his head to Mihawk, Sanji was willing to stay on the island of okamas and train, Chopper trained to master his monster form so he could retain control, and even Usopp grew balls. They wanted to help Luffy and the nakama, and protect them. Unless they have a falling out, I don't see any SHP accepting offers from WG. Luffy's even saving Fishman Island because it's Jinbei, Hachi, Shirahoshi, and few of his friends' home. He probably wouldn't care otherwise.


However, despite all that's happened, I could see WG extending their hands to SHP. They've done it to many notorious pirates for their power, they can do the same towards Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, or even Franky. It's better to have at least one SHP crew as an ally than an enemy, and the trio's power would definitely tip the scale in WG or Shichibukai's favor. though, I'm not sure how long Luffy would last. :x
 

Akainusan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I doubt it. The Strawhats have already witnessed how corrupt the WG is. I believe they aren't dumb enough to accept such an offer.
 

matzik1212

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
1,646
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
However, despite all that's happened, I could see WG extending their hands to SHP. They've done it to many notorious pirates for their power, they can do the same towards Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, or even Franky. It's better to have at least one SHP crew as an ally than an enemy, and the trio's power would definitely tip the scale in WG or Shichibukai's favor. though, I'm not sure how long Luffy would last. :x
I doubt WG will even consider offering Luffy the shichibukai position ...i mean come on the guy is Dragon's son , the most wanted man , and he's even hated by Akainu for that reason so i don't see it happening , i simply can't :blink
Maybe to the other SH's they will attempt it and fail miserably but offering that position to Luffy is definitely impossible IMO
 

llamapie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
3,564
Reaction score
1,384
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
I honestly doubt it. The SHs are considered so dangerous now they're likely on the level of the emperors I would honestly doubt the WG would try and control them. Luffy wouldn't even think of saying yes anyways.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,329
Reaction score
24,939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, the strawhats are without a doubt strong but I have a hard time seeing them on the level of the emperors (at least shanks or wb, dunno about kaido or big mom). My impression would that that at best luffy would get WB or shanks to sweat but he would still be schooled by them at large. I would argue mihawk can still school zoro at this point (even if zoro is massively stronger than before). I mean, WB clearly could beat the crap out of an admiral in his old age (he was even stabbed in the guy before he fought them).... I would easily see WB and shanks doing this to luffy (with the shanks bit being taken into context). Luffy, zoro and sanji are without a doubt strong but I would argue they still have a lot to grow before they can take on admirals or WB or shanks.

As far as their strength or threat level, I would honestly see that as a reason to offer them a position (with the exception of luffy, he is the sort that has his bloodline exterminated). I mean, they keep the likes of mihawk or hancock around and both of them are absolute monsters (with mihawk being shown as an equal to shanks for the most part).
 
Last edited:

llamapie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 13, 2006
Messages
3,564
Reaction score
1,384
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Well, the strawhats are without a doubt strong but I have a hard time seeing them on the level of the emperors (at least shanks or wb, dunno about kaido or big mom). My impression would that that at best luffy would get WB or shanks to sweat but he would still be schooled by them at large. I would argue mihawk can still school zoro at this point (even if zoro is massively stronger than before). I mean, WB clearly could beat the crap out of an admiral in his old age (he was even stabbed in the guy before he fought them).... I would easily see WB and shanks doing this to luffy (with the shanks bit being taken into context). Luffy, zoro and sanji are without a doubt strong but I would argue they still have a lot to grow before they can take on admirals or WB or shanks.

As far as their strength or threat level, I would honestly see that as a reason to offer them a position (with the exception of luffy, he is the sort that has his bloodline exterminated). I mean, they keep the likes of mihawk or hancock around and both of them are absolute monsters (with mihawk being shown as an equal to shanks for the most part).
Well I think the next arc will give us some reveals into the training they all went through and the exact extent of what they can do as well. Anyways excited for whats next. :) A daunting obstacle needs to come up now.
 
Top