- Joined
- Feb 12, 2009
- Messages
- 176
- Reaction score
- 75
- Age
- 43
- Gender
- Female
- Country
-
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo
Hmmm, where'd the Dou-Wata thread go? Oh well...
I just need to get something off my chest that seems to happen in way too many fandoms... I realize there are various types of readers of this great story and maybe also Tsubasa. There are some fans of Doumeki and Watanuki as a couple, and some fans who aren't. That's fine; everyone is free to couple who they want, especially when things are left up to interpretation.
I'm not a yaoiphobe, and I'm not a yaoi fan. I accept it just as neutrally as I would any other legal relationship. When people are in love, they're in love, it doesn't matter their gender.
CLAMP is cool in that they have various types of relationships. As I said in some other threads, some of these don't even have a name. They're not necessarily romantic love; some of these are stronger than love itself yet will never involve smooching. Some characters can have utter, unconditional devotion to one, yet be "in love" with another. I won't say coupling one or the other in such a situation is right or wrong; we've all got our own ways to interpret it.
But, when yaoi fans start bashing any female characters that might potentially "compete" with their rose-tinted fantasy, that really gets me upset. It's not the girl's fault if she feels how she feels. Or in the case of Watanuki and Himawari, not his fault that he is (or at least was) head-over-heels over her. Yes, she was dangerous to him, but that didn't stop him from loving her, almost literally to death.
What good is life if you can't be happy? He was SO happy when he was with her, it was a beautiful thing. Even just thinking about her from a distance was good for his emotional health. It's selfish to deny him that kind of joy, just because you would rather see him with Doumeki. How about considering Watanuki's feelings? Otherwise, you don't love him as a character, but are just USING him.
I know, it's a story, we CAN use them if we want to. But I think that how a reader reacts to stories and characters says a lot about their personality as a human being. For instance, I sure wouldn't go out with a guy who laughs at rape scenes in a book or anime using the excuse "It's just a book/anime! Lighten up!"
Sure, it may be true, but the scenes are usually used to elicit real human reactions in the reader, and xxxHolic has used the human element very heavily. That's what makes the story so great, and makes us such devoted and deeply involved readers.
Himawari is a very tragic character. She deserves some respect. And Watanuki is one of only very few people to have ever shown her such. To deny the sacrifices she made for him, and he made for her, is to disrespect Watanuki himself and all he has stood for. And Doumeki as well; he tolerated Himawari as well, respected her, and together both of them have really brought Watanuki to life.
If you're afraid that that poor girl is going to pull Doumeki and Watanuki apart, don't be; Doumeki could have easily run off with Himawari all this time and forgot all about Wata-chan, or Watanuki could have chosen things differently. But he chose to devote himself to Yuuko, and Doumeki chose to devote himself to Watanuki. Doumeki will ALWAYS be there for him.
If you're afraid of some girl characters (Kohane and Zashiki-warashi both seemed highly interested in him too!) getting between the boys... then you have TOO LITTLE FAITH in their relationship. Believe in Wata and Doumeki and their bond a little more. Instead of getting so insecure about some girls to the point of treating them like crap when they've done nothing to deserve it.
The "nature" of the boys' relationship is open to interpretation, there's no right or wrong. But, they have a very tight bond, even beyond whatever might be straining it right now. And it'll always be there, whatever it is.
Hmmm, where'd the Dou-Wata thread go? Oh well...
I just need to get something off my chest that seems to happen in way too many fandoms... I realize there are various types of readers of this great story and maybe also Tsubasa. There are some fans of Doumeki and Watanuki as a couple, and some fans who aren't. That's fine; everyone is free to couple who they want, especially when things are left up to interpretation.
I'm not a yaoiphobe, and I'm not a yaoi fan. I accept it just as neutrally as I would any other legal relationship. When people are in love, they're in love, it doesn't matter their gender.
CLAMP is cool in that they have various types of relationships. As I said in some other threads, some of these don't even have a name. They're not necessarily romantic love; some of these are stronger than love itself yet will never involve smooching. Some characters can have utter, unconditional devotion to one, yet be "in love" with another. I won't say coupling one or the other in such a situation is right or wrong; we've all got our own ways to interpret it.
But, when yaoi fans start bashing any female characters that might potentially "compete" with their rose-tinted fantasy, that really gets me upset. It's not the girl's fault if she feels how she feels. Or in the case of Watanuki and Himawari, not his fault that he is (or at least was) head-over-heels over her. Yes, she was dangerous to him, but that didn't stop him from loving her, almost literally to death.
What good is life if you can't be happy? He was SO happy when he was with her, it was a beautiful thing. Even just thinking about her from a distance was good for his emotional health. It's selfish to deny him that kind of joy, just because you would rather see him with Doumeki. How about considering Watanuki's feelings? Otherwise, you don't love him as a character, but are just USING him.
I know, it's a story, we CAN use them if we want to. But I think that how a reader reacts to stories and characters says a lot about their personality as a human being. For instance, I sure wouldn't go out with a guy who laughs at rape scenes in a book or anime using the excuse "It's just a book/anime! Lighten up!"
Sure, it may be true, but the scenes are usually used to elicit real human reactions in the reader, and xxxHolic has used the human element very heavily. That's what makes the story so great, and makes us such devoted and deeply involved readers.
Himawari is a very tragic character. She deserves some respect. And Watanuki is one of only very few people to have ever shown her such. To deny the sacrifices she made for him, and he made for her, is to disrespect Watanuki himself and all he has stood for. And Doumeki as well; he tolerated Himawari as well, respected her, and together both of them have really brought Watanuki to life.
If you're afraid that that poor girl is going to pull Doumeki and Watanuki apart, don't be; Doumeki could have easily run off with Himawari all this time and forgot all about Wata-chan, or Watanuki could have chosen things differently. But he chose to devote himself to Yuuko, and Doumeki chose to devote himself to Watanuki. Doumeki will ALWAYS be there for him.
If you're afraid of some girl characters (Kohane and Zashiki-warashi both seemed highly interested in him too!) getting between the boys... then you have TOO LITTLE FAITH in their relationship. Believe in Wata and Doumeki and their bond a little more. Instead of getting so insecure about some girls to the point of treating them like crap when they've done nothing to deserve it.
The "nature" of the boys' relationship is open to interpretation, there's no right or wrong. But, they have a very tight bond, even beyond whatever might be straining it right now. And it'll always be there, whatever it is.
I could agree with a little more spaz though. AND HE LOOKS SO GOOD IN YUUKO SAN'S ROBEEE. <3 <3




