Re: xxxHOLIC spoilers thread
Something has been bothering me a bit.. its Watanuki's wish cause originally he says that he doesnt want the spirits and what not following him around
clickie here to see so that means when Yuuko says she'll grant his wish the spirits wont stalk him but he'll still be able to see them right? Unless his wish was to not see them anymore..
It was mentioned a few chapters ago by us when Yuuko said that. It's like, I thought that with Doumeki's company, his wish was already being granted, since Doumeki kept the spirits away. So I thought it was a perfectly good arrangement. Watanuki could still talk to the youkai, help them out if they needed it, and interact with the adorable Zashiki-Warashi, but would be kept far safer and no longer constantly mauled.
So I'm really puzzled about his wish being permanently "granted", and as I said before I really really hope that he can still interact with them after all... cuz they added so much depth to his life and he grew to really understand them...
idlemind009 said:
Yuko probably knew Watanuki would make that choice. Numerous times Yuko-san and the others had to save him because he makes choices with his heart.
Indeed, that's the kind of person he is. I was fine with his dealing with the food-lady, how he did what is characteristic of himself... helping her with his heart. He was able to accomplish the mission, and yet still able to be himself. I was proud of him, and figured he could grant wishes that way.
What good was that "food battle" that he won in that regard, though, if he's now gonna try being Yuuko? It won't be the same. It's like it cancels the growing we've watched him do. He'd found a perfect balance between letting the client fix themselves, and giving them enough caring constant to give them the opportunity they needed. I liked it. I don't want to see that forsaken now...
While he does give freely of himself, he also learned valuable lessons along the way: Not to sacrifice TOO much, so he doesn't hurt those who care about him was one of them. It was a repeated theme. He learned that he has to value himself as an individual, not just value others over himself. Otherwise it leans toward selfish despite seeming self-less.
That's why I'm puzzled over his behavior now; it's like he's forgetting those lessons, that people care about Watanuki as a human being, and want to see him be himself. Like with Doumeki and the spider-curse, and when he nearly killed himself... Surely he wouldn't throw out those valuable lessons!
Doumeki needs to remind him of that! He doesn't even need the egg for that!