Shounen - Yakusoku no Neverland by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu | Page 19 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Yakusoku no Neverland by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
You know one thing I love about Yakusoku no Neverland?
I love how it takes the battle hardened, traditional Shounen and acts like it's soft clay. This Mangaka and our Lady Posuka have completely rewritten the Shounen style and I love it so much. It's one of those cases where one should not rely on the Demographic to understand the manga.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
You know one thing I love about Yakusoku no Neverland?
I love how it takes the battle hardened, traditional Shounen and acts like it's soft clay. This Mangaka and our Lady Posuka have completely rewritten the Shounen style and I love it so much. It's one of those cases where one should not rely on the Demographic to understand the manga.
Yes, i agree.
The style of neverland (usually) shows the world seeming a little mellow, with funny looking characters and comical facial expressions.
It also does not feature any memetic badass characters (Isabella might be an exception, but she does not get exaggerated).
Conflicts are not settled with flashy fights, but with people talking about it.

However, the manga seems fit to go into much darker territory than other mangas from that magazine.

We see protagonists which are neither fit to fight with some mystical power and overcome their adversaries by force, nor is there any kid who is simply smarter than everyone else.
The usual shonen is, in some shape or form, about winning conflicts, mostly by force, sometimes, as in deathnote, by being smarter in a direct confrontation.

But i feel like neverland is more about working your way arround an obstacle than defeating someone.
It is more about running away than fighting but by that, it really is kind of hardcore since the threats are so intense that running away has no shame.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
The best thing about YNL is that it touches my heart.Everything is excellent from art to plot to action and suspense and mystery.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Interview with Kaiu Shirai/Posuka Demizu (The Promised Neverland) - Part 1
http://news.mixi.jp/view_news.pl?id=4416729&media_id=141
Editor: Takushi Sugita

- Neverland was conceived around 3 years ago
- When Shirai and Sugita met, he took 300 pages (around 15 chapters) to Sugita
- The main character was still a girl from the start. That didn't change throughout the planning phase up to serialization.
- Posuka really wanted to be the artist after seeing the story. Their (Shirai and Posuka's) first work was Popy's Wish on Shonen Jump+, which they chose to do just to get reader impressions on there before heading to WSJ.
Popy's Wish: https://shonenjumpplus.com/episode/10833497643049550006
Part 2 tomorrow.
BanzaiMang translated part of the interview with Shirai/Posuka, I thought it would be nice to share it here. Thanks a lot Banzai :)

BasedAnon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Shirai apparently worked for some company after graduating university. He said it had nothing to do with manga at all and that this is his first time being a real mangaka (or rather manga author).

He was about to give up after several of his scripts got trashed and told himself that he wasn't talented. He regretted it and called his latest attempt "The Promised Neverland" which was also meant to be his last try as a Mangaka and was written 3 years ago. He wrote 300 pages, because he was unable to properly summarise it and naturally a lot of things were changed from his original script. His intention was just to know if this last attempt was any good or trash like his previous ones. Newcomers usually don't bring 300 pages to such a evaluation meeting, because it's absurd. When Demizu encountered Shirai he read the whole script at once. He would usually get bored midway when he read scripts, but this time - all 300 pages - were so entertaining that he couldn't stop. Back then (well even now if you don't count TPN) Shirai was a nobody, so it was hard to trick Jump into giving the Duo a chance, but Demizu believed in Shirai's talent. Shirai planned back then to let someone else draw it. Shirai himself can draw, but the editor felt like it didn't do the script justice and that it would be too hard to expect Shirai to keep up the quality of the writing and draw it. Demizu points out once again that he joined the project after Shirai (and Sugita). Also Sugita is basically responsible for uniting the two into a team (and making them do the oneshot). "They fell in love right away with each other." Shirai loved Demizu's art as much as Demizu loved Shirai's writing. Shirai also knew about Demizu's art before they meet. He explains what he loves about Demizu's art like the expressions, background, cuteness etc. Shirai was so happy when he saw Demizu's draw his oneshot, because the outcome was better than he even imagined. TPN was basically not planned for Jump so it was kinda troublesome to decide with the editor what part of the script should stay the same and what shouldnt. There was stuff Shirai absolutely wanted to keep and that didn't fit Jump, but they ultimately let that in. That's why it's not like the rest of the magazine and more of an oddball (like Death Note was). It looks like the reviews for the Oneshot where alright and that's why Shirai was allowed to go through with most of his vision. Shirai had two oneshots before starting TPN. One was ポピィの願い/Poppy's Desire with Demizu and the other was アシュリー=ゲートの行方/Ashley=The Gate's whereabouts which he released all alone. Both were published on Jump+.

Kadir0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Bruh, that editor was the MVP of all this, so glad they met such an amazing person like him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
When Demizu encountered Shirai he read the whole script at once. He would usually get bored midway when he read scripts, but this time - all 300 pages - were so entertaining that he couldn't stop.
Is Demizu a guy?

BasedAnon

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Bruh, that editor was the MVP of all this, so glad they met such an amazing person like him.

Is Demizu a guy?
Actually the japanese doesn't specify it and I know there seem to be rumours that Demizu is a woman, but I never saw anything proving or indicating that and seeing how they did battle shounenshit before TPN, I assume it's a guy.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Actually the japanese doesn't specify it and I know there seem to be rumours that Demizu is a woman, but I never saw anything proving or indicating that and seeing how they did battle shounenshit before TPN, I assume it's a guy.
Demizu is a woman. Shirai, the Author, is the Guy.

Tanzo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Part 2 of the TPN interview is here: https://news.nifty.com/article/entame/showbizd/12176-79456/
- Some of Shirai's influences include Naoki Urasawa, Takeshi Obata, Yusei Matsui (He liked Neuro a lot), Hirohiko Araki in suspense factor, and various others.
- Shirai often watches movies, which are also a big influence. He mentions a movie he loves called The Good Son, a suspense film.
- He likes situations with two-sided characters and excitement.
- Shirai: "Within Jump, while other manga are creating flashy and fierce battles, we only have to make strong pulls with psychological warfare that exceeds that."
- Posuka likes drawing Krone. Shirai also likes seeing her in action.
- Posuka also likes drawing Isabella, and thinks she is the only character currently that should be drawn beautifully.
- Shirai likes to deceive/challenge the readers.
- Shirai's wants to tell the message of "Friendship, Effort, Victory" (the Jump slogan) in the story. Even if the girl is the hero, without any battles, and if the story seems anti-Jump like, he still hopes it will lead in that message.
- He's decided the setting and story of the world where Emma will escape to. The meaning/place is in the title "Promised Neverland".
- The title of the manga was supposed to be "Neverland" only. But, it was supposed to be somewhat better in that "Neverland", so he changed the title.
He's thinking of developing a way where the term "Promise" is linked to the core of the story firmly.
Shirai: "If Emma can jailbreak successfully, I'll know the meaning of "Promised Neverland", so I'd like to do my best to not have the series end by that time (laugh)!
- The jailbreak arc will be finished around volumes 3-4, Shirai doesn't know how it will go but he'd like to proceed to the next arc soon.

Last edited:

BasedAnon

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Volume 2 apparently sold 40683 copies in 3 days. That's 16k more than Volume 1 did in the same amount of time and more than Hinomaru and Sesuji sold together this time. Should get a good boost in the next chart too.
Volume 2 is at 78409 copies now, so it made 28k more than Volume 1 in 10 days.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Madam Krone:eek:.

Happy to see the Manga sell has been increasing day by day.It should be top 3 i pray soon enough.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Maybe it's the next MHA? That manga hasn't left the top tier since it began :hmm

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
My short-to-long term dread is an anime adaption. A lot of popular new series get adaptions with a year, maybe two. Though I admit I can't really visualise it considering its unique style.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
My short-to-long term dread is an anime adaption. A lot of popular new series get adaptions with a year, maybe two. Though I admit I can't really visualise it considering its unique style.
Whatever the Anime studio does i hope they don't change the Manga plot line or leave out Manga parts.

Like they with many Anime series.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
@PaperKnights your enthusiasm is inspiring :amuse
Some of the theories that come out of this series are just insane. It's like the Shounen incarnation of Tokyo Ghoul :p

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
A cool advertisement one of bookstores in Japan did for Neverland, thought I would share it here:

I find this really fascinating. The bookstore is also pushing TPN in their own way
a store in Shibuya.

After watching 2 episodes of Juhan Shuttai yesterday, I know how much this mean to the authors. They also include Posuka's artbook :super.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I binged all the chapters yesterday and caught up and I have to say, I'm absolutely loving Yakasoku no Neverland so far. It has me more and more intrigued wth every chapter, and there's never been a dull moment in it so far imo. Can't wait to see what happens next!