Yeste Attempts Cleaning Challenge #001 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Yeste Attempts Cleaning Challenge #001

yeste

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
OK, here’s how it is… This is my first serious attempt to scanlate/clean something!!! I’ve done a few things a couple months ago, but that was just playing around… And it sucked!!!

So, yesterday I read that great tutorial on cleaning, and this is the product of that…
…I’ve tried my best, took me a while to grasp how the tools work, before I just worked with brush… So, I’ve done everything, except the panel 7!!! To tell you the truth, I have no idea what to do with it… Maybe if I knew what manga this is, and what character that would help somehow, because I don’t know what his clothes/swords look like… And I cant really redraw it… Plus, I’m realllllllllllllllllllllllllly tyred!!!!!!!!!!! :p

So, do I have any talent in this or ???

*********and, yeah, I know, challenge 001, but that one looked the hardest to me last night, and I like to start from the beginning… I’ll probably try to do others in the next few weeks…********

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Looks nice...the manga is One Piece. You should check out some of the the threads related to this challange to get some more info i think.

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Okay so here are the things I can tell ya right away:
All the stars and baloons done with pen tool aren't too convincing (i.e. they look fake, redone, not like the used to).
Those wounds on the guy's (zoro's his name) shouldn't be so straight.
Bottom frame, the giraffe guy (Kaku) has some weird lineart (perhaps use different settings for your brush tool).
The leveling made the page look a bit sharper.
The borders are really thick.

Nonetheless it's quite a great work for someone new and I do hope you will take my comments and use them to become a great cleaner ^_^

glasskatana

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, Yeste. If you become a cleaner or Manga Editor maybe you can visit the FMA forums and put your talents to good use. :thumbs

yeste

Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
Thanks for that fast reply guys! K first of all, gk jr, if you ever read this, looks like I won’t be joining your FMA scan group till I pimp out my techniques… And get more experience!!!

All the stars and baloons done with pen tool aren't too convincing (i.e. they look fake, redone, not like the used to).
Hmmm…. Maybe I shouldn’t try to bring them up that much… Do you think the border on them is to thick, or that they are bad shaped? This was my first time using pen, and I had to get used to it… For the borders on balloons and sfx I did that on purpose, I kind of like them that way… But I’ll level them down for the next one… A question, where do I trace them, balloons I mean, outside, inside or in the middle of the line…

Those wounds on the guy's (zoro's his name) shouldn't be so straight.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh, those are wounds?????????????? Man, was I of… I thought that was rough shading, like Kishimoto sometimes uses in Naruto….

Bottom frame, the giraffe guy (Kaku) has some weird lineart (perhaps use different settings for your brush tool).
That’s because of that damn gray!!!!!!!!! I hate gray!!!!!!! And I had a loooooot of problems with these areas… Somehow, they just destroy all I do, they are in the middle between original and black, and I’m not handling them very well… And the brush keeps disobeying me!!! BTW, is there a way to stroke something that you brushed, and not brush it again??? That damn 1px brush lives almost no mark!!! This still confuses me…

The leveling made the page look a bit sharper.
Again, on purpose, I kind of like it like that. So, that’s wrong? Hmmmmmm, well it’s not much sharper than the original… And I didn’t use any filters on it. Somewhere I heard that people use unsharp mask or something… Don’t really know! I am very new at this. But, now I know that it’s too sharp!!!

The borders are really thick.
Man, another thing I did on my own… Again , I thought that they will look better? So, softer on this one to??? K

Nonetheless it's quite a great work for someone new and I do hope you will take my comments and use them to become a great cleaner ^_^
Thanks a lot for this comments, they do point me in the right direction!!! I’ll try more on my next attempt…

Looks nice...the manga is One Piece. You should check out some of the the threads related to this challange to get some more info i think.
Thanks man!!! I checked it out!!! So this is One Piece??? Looks awesome!!! Unfortunately I only read Naruto and FMA… ‘cause I started reading manga about 4-5 months ago… So I’m new in all this!!! But I’ll get around to read more soon…

glasskatana said:
Hey, Yeste. If you become a cleaner or Manga Editor maybe you can visit the FMA forums and put your talents to good use. :thumbs
Edit******* Man, that’s why I got in this in the first place…. I dream of HQ FMA!!!! I told you I’d help… Just wait some more, GKA ( Glass Katana Alchemist )

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel
yeste said:
Hmmm…. Maybe I shouldn’t try to bring them up that much… Do you think the border on them is to thick, or that they are bad shaped? This was my first time using pen, and I had to get used to it… For the borders on balloons and sfx I did that on purpose, I kind of like them that way… But I’ll level them down for the next one… A question, where do I trace them, balloons I mean, outside, inside or in the middle of the line…
Well they appeared fake because of a couple reasons. The lines were perhaps thick and they were constant (the lineart's width usually changes in the middle, artistic kinda thing ^_^) and the edges are fading out instead of staying sharp.
What I would suggest is that you use brush tool to fill in the parts that you find dusty or broken.

yeste said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhh, those are wounds?????????????? Man, was I of… I thought that was rough shading, like Kishimoto sometimes uses in Naruto….
Wounds.. shading.. don't keep em too straight like that nonetheless ^_^

yeste said:
That’s because of that damn gray!!!!!!!!! I hate gray!!!!!!! And I had a loooooot of problems with these areas… Somehow, they just destroy all I do, they are in the middle between original and black, and I’m not handling them very well… And the brush keeps disobeying me!!! BTW, is there a way to stroke something that you brushed, and not brush it again??? That damn 1px brush lives almost no mark!!! This still confuses me…
That really does depend on your method of doing the greys. If you keep them in a new layer you can double click it and you should have stroke in the bottom left of the new window or you can go to edit>stroke.

yeste said:
Again, on purpose, I kind of like it like that. So, that’s wrong? Hmmmmmm, well it’s not much sharper than the original… And I didn’t use any filters on it. Somewhere I heard that people use unsharp mask or something… Don’t really know! I am very new at this. But, now I know that it’s too sharp!!!
Well perhaps only my personal point of view.. but you don't want your pages too sharp. If you read a buncha good Edited Mangas you will notice the amount of sharpness you need.

yeste said:
Man, another thing I did on my own… Again , I thought that they will look better? So, softer on this one to??? K
2px should do imo.

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
For the bubbles, the technique I wrote in my Compendium is outdated and I need to get around to updating it.

Basically, instead of redrawing the bubble completely, you should copy the bubble from the base layer and paste it into a new layer, then fix the broken parts of the lines up with the 1px brush tool! The new layer, of course, is to help with your reframing and anything else it might help you with ^^

Also I believe Fnuck used the wrong term for the levelling. If you level too much, the page becomes more pixellated, not sharp. Pixellated is bad. You want a smooth, anti-aliased image.

yeste

Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
So what you are saying is something along this: “ Konohamaru, you should not use that technique/jutsu anymore!!! That is considered mediocre… Now, behold my new perv…Ughhhh balloon cleaning technique/jutsu!?!!!” :p

K, I’ll try this new way…And I’ll try to have the scan as smooth as possible…

Seems to me that I had a bad idea of what is the goal in cleaning. I considered that it is to get the scan as much as possible to something actually drawn on a computer… Don’t know why I had that kind of opinion…

Also, one question, sorry if I’m boring you guys, but I don’t really like that gray fill… Somehow, it looks uneven( in an lack of more precise word, looks like I’m not that great in English too…) to me… Is there any other, or do you guys use this one too?

Thanks for the tips, I feel like I’m getting better… Well, I certainly know more about this that earlier… That’s still a great tutorial!!! Also, just one more thing… When you do redrawing in a new layer, with a 1px hard brush… How many times do you go over the line with that brush??? ‘Couse when I go over it just once, it feels like nothing’s changed…

***BTW I’m destroying myself with that challenge no.2, damn, that gray areas sure are difficult for a bigginer!!!****

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
We don't use that grey fill. The pattern we use is also linked to in the tutorial. Here's the link again: http://psychobob.xepher.net/screentonez/

We use pattern 5 of Dots and Screens Pack 2.

And yes, I do go over lines multiple times sometimes with the 1px hard brush.