Mag Talk - Young Animal (Hakusensha) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Young Animal (Hakusensha)

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The magazine that has Berserk in it does not have a thread?!

All manga in this magazine at MangaUpdates.

From wikipedia:

Young Animal (ヤングアニマル Yangu Animaru?) is a magazine in Japan that features seinen manga and scantily clad women. It is published by Hakusensha and issued on the second and fourth Friday of each month in saddle-stapled B5 format, selling for 310 yen. A typical issue is usually over 300 pages, with about 288 black and white pulp pages of comics wrapped in about 20 slick pages of color photos of teen age girls (pop stars and gravure idols) in bikinis or topless. As of 2011, circulation was approximately 160,000 copies. Each issue features about 15 different stories, mostly serial stories tending toward romantic comedy, fantasy, and epic adventure, with a number of humorous "4-koma" or 4-panel gag strips.

It was first issued in 1989 as Animal House and was renamed Young Animal in 1992. However, it may have been a continuation of an earlier Hakusensha shōnen magazine entitled Gekkan Shōnen Jets (launched in 1981) which was discontinued in the late 1980s.

Popular long-running series currently appearing in Young Animal include the medieval dark fantasy adventure Berserk, the modern-day educational sex comedy Futari Ecchi (both over 300 chapters as of 2010) and the sardonic rock'n'roll story Detroit Metal City. A number of Young Animal manga series have been adapted as anime.
What series from this magainze do you read? What others that have been serialized in the past have you read?

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I read Suicide Island, Berserk, Futari Ecchi >.< and Albert Einstein in 1904, a new mystery series that started one or two issues ago. I want to read 3-gatsu no lion too. I'll have to read the scans then catch up to the Japanese releases through raws. I read Umi no Misaki too (I have 10 chapters until I'm done). Checked the other series too, judged them not worth my time of reading, way too many ecchi and mainly titles with comedy...

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading through Kakanai Mangaka. It's pretty fun and a really weird premise for a story. The characters are really well written and I don't know any other manga quite like it. I hope it gets scanned at some point.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I read Suicide Island, Berserk, Futari Ecchi >.< and Albert Einstein in 1904, a new mystery series that started one or two issues ago. I want to read 3-gatsu no lion too. I'll have to read the scans then catch up to the Japanese releases through raws. I read Umi no Misaki too (I have 10 chapters until I'm done). Checked the other series too, judged them not worth my time of reading, way too many ecchi and mainly titles with comedy...
Ohh~ Cool new title I guess.^^ Is it historically accurate, or a more light take on Einstein? Looking at some pictures it might be some action twist in it as well? Tho who knows if that one will ever be scanned.

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Ohh~ Cool new title I guess.^^ Is it historically accurate, or a more light take on Einstein? Looking at some pictures it might be some action twist in it as well? Tho who knows if that one will ever be scanned.
Yeah, it's described as fantasy / mystery by the magazine if I remember well what was written in ch01. Yeah has a bit of action too and the art really drew me in. I think that could be a nice series. Too bad the other series in the magazine are either not scanned or don't have raws online. "March come into a lion" already has 100 chapters for example -_- meaning I'll have to read 40 chapters in scans then find out whether I can read the remaining 60 in raws... The series looks really interesting.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, it's described as fantasy / mystery by the magazine if I remember well what was written in ch01. Yeah has a bit of action too and the art really drew me in. I think that could be a nice series. Too bad the other series in the magazine are either not scanned or don't have raws online. "March come into a lion" already has 100 chapters for example -_- meaning I'll have to read 40 chapters in scans then find out whether I can read the remaining 60 in raws... The series looks really interesting.
Well this is tempting me to read the raw, know where I can find it? Also there is no translation for the Einstein one?

Yeah figured as much why this magazine does not have a thread, apart from Berserk all other stuff is not so popular, or even popular here on the net. Or people are not introduced to it and many that read Berserk hardly care for the magazine it runs in. :XD

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Well this is tempting me to read the raw, know where I can find it? Also there is no translation for the Einstein one?

Yeah figured as much why this magazine does not have a thread, apart from Berserk all other stuff is not so popular, or even popular here on the net. Or people are not introduced to it and many that read Berserk hardly care for the magazine it runs in. :XD
Yeah, I was like that until not long ago too. The series that made me want to check out the magazine was "Suicide Island" by Mouri Kouji then I discovered two other series I was reading were on it too >.<

As for the raws I found it on comiczip other than that I think you'd have to download the whole mag to get it on sites that give the possibility.

Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Source: skullknight
Credits: Walter

In the latest Young Animal (May 9 -- No. 10), Miura drew a tribute for March Comes Like a Lion's 100th episode. As fans may know, he's good friends with that series' author, Chika Umino. Needless to say, Miura's tribute was by far the most impressive.

Obviously, it's depicting that series' characters in Berserk's Fantasia. Aaaaand there's a dwarf! Berserk's first true dwarf designs, confirmed? :badbone: The girl on the far right also has a Falconian wing crest on her hat... Interesting.

Also of note in the issue was this, which was associated with March's 100th episode. Either one or all three of these guys are Miura. Different sides of the same guy? Different guys altogether? Dunno. But his name is definitely there in the top right.

vinceled

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
ROFL I love ow the MC in March Comes into a Lion is actually the mage in the background reading a book...

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
So is March Comes in Like a Lion a slice of life series? Never heard of it until that drawing, but then again Young Animal doesn't get that much publicity.....

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So is March Comes in Like a Lion a slice of life series? Never heard of it until that drawing, but then again Young Animal doesn't get that much publicity.....
Well can't say that the series was that unknown, then again Berserk overshadows the rest of them, but this was a known series all in all.

Mangaupdates. Discussion thread on MangaHelpers.

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd been translating 3-Gatsu but I had to take a break because of all the other projects I was doing and all the other stress in my life going on. A bunch of that's done now and I've almost finished all the projects I need to before I have time to work on it again. I think I should have a good group to do it with, too. But it's a very hard series to translate. A lot of vague inner monologues and stuff is implied quite a bit rather than stated.

Reactions: Nii

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
For those that haven't heard, Berserk is coming back, now appearing only once every other issue (So that's once a month) starting on the issue coming out 7/24.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...to-resume-as-monthly-series-this-month/.90187

They're also going to reprint the last 4-ish chapters in the first issue back.
I'm HOPING that maybe with this new 1-a-month schedule that Berserk will start coming out consistently rather than "a bunch in a row then nothing for 8+ months". But one can only hope.

piau9000

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The same thing happened with D. Gray Man. It will come back but on a quartely magazine.
I hope that Togashi see this and start to do something about HxH.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I recently learned of the existence of this particular magazine since I decided to see where Gal Gohan gets published. I really love that series, so I was looking to see if there were any other series in this magazine that are also good from similar genres. I've heard of Futari Ecchi before since it has been out for so long, as well as 3-Gatsu, but it looks like there are a lot of other works that are newer and probably untranslated. Does anyone have any other recommendations besides Gal Gohan?

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
So I recently learned of the existence of this particular magazine since I decided to see where Gal Gohan gets published. I really love that series, so I was looking to see if there were any other series in this magazine that are also good from similar genres. I've heard of Futari Ecchi before since it has been out for so long, as well as 3-Gatsu, but it looks like there are a lot of other works that are newer and probably untranslated. Does anyone have any other recommendations besides Gal Gohan?
Looking at the magazine, I do seem to have Nana to Kaoru on my plan to read list.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking at the magazine, I do seem to have Nana to Kaoru on my plan to read list.
Yeah, from the looks of what Google Translate could accomplish on their official website, it looks like a decent number of the series currently running in the magazine seem pretty interesting, but since it's a smaller magazine, most of them seem to be untranslated. I was surprised to see that it had a few big hits in it though since I'd never actually heard of the magazine before

Heiji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan