Life - Your sleep position reveals personality traits! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Life Your sleep position reveals personality traits!

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your sleep position reveals personality traits!

Thanks to Lilsnowy for the info!

Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the UK Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service analyzed six common sleeping positions - and found that each is linked to a particular personality type.

What your sleeping position says about you ...

Foetus
Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax. This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

Log
Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

Yearner
People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

Soldier
Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

Freefall
Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

Starfish
Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.

The remainder of those in the poll said the position they fell asleep varied or did not know.

Professor Idzikowski also examined the effect of various sleeping positions on health. He concluded that the freefall position was good for digestion, while the starfish and soldier positions were more likely to lead to snoring and a bad night's sleep.

Professor Idzikowski said "Lying down flat means that stomach contents can more readily be worked back up into the mouth, while those who lie on their back may end up snoring and breathing less well during the night. "Both these postures may not necessarily awaken the sleeper but could cause a less refreshing night's sleep."

The research also found that most people are unlikely to change their sleeping position. Just 5% said they sleep in a different position every night.

I sleep in a foetus position and it actually describes how I am. But what about you guys? What is your sleeping position? Do you think the way in which we sleep can describe our personalities? Or do you think the way in which we sleep has nothing to do with the way we are? Let’s talk about this topic! :)

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I sleep in foetus, yearner, and freefaller mode. It depends on when and such but it's usually one of those, although I prefer freefaller.

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
If you sleep in log position, won't you cut off blood supply to your arm? :s I think I usually sleep in all of them except log and yearner. No fixed one I guess... And I can fall asleep just about anywhere, like even on a noisy bus and even standing up and even... When riding a bicycle. So, obviously, sleeping positions say nothing about me :derp

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It does cut off blood supply. I know from several scary experiences. v.v However, the body, I guess, can move so that doesn't happen.

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
I sleep in foetus, yearner, and freefaller mode. It depends on when and such but it's usually one of those, although I prefer freefaller.
So you change positions while sleeping and your position depends on the time of the day? Is the freefaller position comfortable? I’m asking this because I have tried sleeping like that but for me it is uncomfortable and I feel like I’m going to suffocate.

I think I usually sleep in all of them except log and yearner. No fixed one I guess...
Have you ever gone to sleep in one site of the bed and woken up in a completely different one?

And I can fall asleep just about anywhere, like even on a noisy bus and even standing up and even... When riding a bicycle
Hearing you that say reminded me of Elijah Wood from LOTR. Just like you, he can sleep anywhere at anytime. :)

It does cut off blood supply. I know from several scary experiences. v.v However, the body, I guess, can move so that doesn't happen.
Scary experiences? What happened?

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Have you ever gone to sleep in one site of the bed and woken up in a completely different one?
You mean side?

If so, yes I have :p When my parents are out of town and I actually get to sleep in a big bed I can end up even waking up perpendicular to the position I fell asleep in :XD

Hearing you that say reminded me of Elijah Wood from LOTR. Just like you, he can sleep anywhere at anytime. :)
Hmm. I don't think I'm as bad as he is...! I mean, I can fall asleep anywhere anytime, but I don't actually do it that often :sweatdrop And I don't wake up that easily :XD When I woke up after falling asleep on the bicycle, I had already crashed into a bus stop :p And I was all, "huh? what happened? *bleary eyed*" :p

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
You mean side?
Yes, I meant side. Sorry for the typo!

If so, yes I have :p When my parents are out of town and I actually get to sleep in a big bed I can end up even waking up perpendicular to the position I fell asleep in :XD
That is so cute and funny at the same time! :XD It kind of reminds of when children sleep with their parents and because they move around so much the parents end up having not a very good night’s sleep. :D

And I don't wake up that easily :XD When I woke up after falling asleep on the bicycle, I had already crashed into a bus stop :p And I was all, "huh? what happened? *bleary eyed*" :p
I thought you were joking when you said you had fallen asleep while riding a bicycle :blink…so you weren’t joking? Wow…you sure are a heavy sleeper. ^^ And ouch! That must have hurt a lot!

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Yes, I meant side. Sorry for the typo!

That is so cute and funny at the same time! :XD It kind of reminds of when children sleep with their parents and because they move around so much the parents end up having not a very good night’s sleep. :D
:XD That's so true. I used to go sleep with my parents when I had nightmares as a kid and stuff like that. Poor parents :p

I thought you were joking when you said you had fallen asleep while riding a bicycle :blink…so you weren’t joking? Wow…you sure are a heavy sleeper. ^^ And ouch! That must have hurt a lot!
Nope, I wasn't joking at all! I was doing a recon for an overnight cycling event, so this was around 5am. Thankfully there weren't many cars. Apparently my bike was swerving all over the place for 10+ minutes before I actually crashed (and yet my silly friends didn't try to do something, like yell at me to wake up :-_-). Also, thankfully I escaped with nothing more than a few small scratches and a big bruise. And my parents still don't know :vbunny

I'm a heavy sleeper indeed :XD What about you? Light or heavy sleeper?

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
So you change positions while sleeping and your position depends on the time of the day? Is the freefaller position comfortable? I’m asking this because I have tried sleeping like that but for me it is uncomfortable and I feel like I’m going to suffocate.

Scary experiences? What happened?
Yes, and the temperature, the bed I'm on, the pillow, how comfortable I am, and etc. I prefer freefaller because it gives me more freedom. Freefaller can be comfortable, but painful on the neck if you're in one position for too long. I prefer it the most, actually. How often have you tried? That tends to happen, so just sit back up or stand up and take a deep breath and try again.

Hands numbed up, badly. I played with it for a while, pretending it's floppy and throwing it randomly, the point in secret was actually to try and get my blood moving again.

Ever had a moment where your body completely froze? Happened to me twice, and one time my nose was covered. That was not fun. v.v Or when you felt like you were floating/flying up or something? Soooo dizzying. X_x Yet fun.

Day

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, well that's interesting! xD I change positions when I sleep too.

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope, I wasn't joking at all! I was doing a recon for an overnight cycling event, so this was around 5am. Thankfully there weren't many cars. Apparently my bike was swerving all over the place for 10+ minutes before I actually crashed (and yet my silly friends didn't try to do something, like yell at me to wake up :-_-).
Maybe your friends thought you had a funny way of riding your bicycle? But still, they should have said something…like maybe “Are you okay?” or something like that.

Also, thankfully I escaped with nothing more than a few small scratches and a big bruise.
Glad to hear you weren’t seriously injured. :)

I'm a heavy sleeper indeed :XD What about you? Light or heavy sleeper?
I’m a heavy sleeper as well…and also talk in my sleep. :D

Yes, and the temperature, the bed I'm on, the pillow, how comfortable I am, and etc.
So this means you can’t sleep just anywhere, right?

I prefer freefaller because it gives me more freedom. Freefaller can be comfortable, but painful on the neck if you're in one position for too long. I prefer it the most, actually. How often have you tried? That tends to happen, so just sit back up or stand up and take a deep breath and try again.
I’m not very fond of freefaller so I admit I’m not interested in giving it another try; moreover, there is another reason why I don’t like to sleep in that position but I’m embarrassed to say it. I’ll just say that from a girl’s POV it isn’t the most comfortable position…

Hands numbed up, badly. I played with it for a while, pretending it's floppy and throwing it randomly, the point in secret was actually to try and get my blood moving again.
That sounds scary…and where you sleeping with someone and that is why you had to pretend playing with your hands?

Ever had a moment where your body completely froze? Happened to me twice, and one time my nose was covered. That was not fun. v.v Or when you felt like you were floating/flying up or something? Soooo dizzying. X_x Yet fun.
Nop…but that doesn’t sound like fun at all…more like worrisome and terrifying. And the time when your nose was covered…were you swimming under water?

Wow, well that's interesting! xD I change positions when I sleep too.
What positions you sleep in, Kyouria? :)

Last edited:

Imperium

Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I almost exclusively sleep in foetus now. I changed about 11/12 years old i think, I use to sleep log and yearner before that. Although i can probably fall asleep in all of the positions, except freefaller. That would be too uncomfortable for me. >_>

As for the personalities, no i dont think it does. The same way i dont think blood types do either.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
So this means you can’t sleep just anywhere, right?

I’m not very fond of freefaller so I admit I’m not interested in giving it another try; moreover, there is another reason why I don’t like to sleep in that position but I’m embarrassed to say it. I’ll just say that from a girl’s POV it isn’t the most comfortable position…
Actually, I can. Well, I guess it depends, but I usually am able to. I can sleep in cars, on planes, and even in my basement on two sofa cushions stacked on the floor. It's only the temperature that makes the difference.

Oh. Probably because you-know-what is pressing against your chest? I find freefaller to be the most comfortable position, but that's probably because it gives me the most freedom of movement while being the least uncomfortable.

Oh, and I think you kinda revealed more than you should have. :oh

That sounds scary…and where you sleeping with someone and that is why you had to pretend playing with your hands?

Nop…but that doesn’t sound like fun at all…more like worrisome and terrifying. And the time when your nose was covered…were you swimming under water?
Nope, just myself. I was pretending it was floppy and stuff for the fun of it since it's rare my arms get numb like that. Entire arm was numb, so the only scary thing was not being able to feel pain. If I effed my elbow or shoulder up, I would not have a good morning. :s Exciting, but in a bad way.

The last part, feeling like I'm floating away/flying away. Otherwise the freezing thingie was pretty scary and unwanted, especially since I had to get up and get ready for school. <_< I don't remember, but I don't think so. I was sleeping in a position where pillow or blanket covered my nose, but I'm not 100% sure if my nose was covered or if I'm just getting it mixed up with someone else who could have had their nose covered. It's scary to think about that it could happen again.

Although i can probably fall asleep in all of the positions, except freefaller. That would be too uncomfortable for me. >_>
Lulz. :hurr

I know why. But that reason isn't too bad when you get a bit stiff. :s It depends though.

destiny4ever

Reaction score
Country
United States
I almost exclusively sleep in foetus now. I changed about 11/12 years old i think, I use to sleep log and yearner before that. Although i can probably fall asleep in all of the positions
Since you are able to sleep in all of the positions…what about sleeping anywhere? Are you able to do it?

It's only the temperature that makes the difference.
Ahh, okay. And I’m the same way. If I’m cold or not warm enough, I can’t fall asleep.

Oh. Probably because you-know-what is pressing against your chest?
Yes, the mattress.

Oh, and I think you kinda revealed more than you should have. :oh
Oh no!

The last part, feeling like I'm floating away/flying away
But isn’t that an out-of-body experience?

I was sleeping in a position where pillow or blanket covered my nose, but I'm not 100% sure if my nose was covered or if I'm just getting it mixed up with someone else who could have had their nose covered.
Well…I actually sleep with my blankets and comforter covering my whole body and I sleep just fine.

It's scary to think about that it could happen again.
Scary indeed.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Ahh, okay. And I’m the same way. If I’m cold or not warm enough, I can’t fall asleep.

Yes, the mattress.

Oh no!

But isn’t that an out-of-body experience?

Well…I actually sleep with my blankets and comforter covering my whole body and I sleep just fine.

Scary indeed.
Do you prefer sleeping in a cooler temperature or a warm temperature? Especially with blankets, I prefer cooler because it's more comfortable snuggle the blanket. :3

Ah yes, the mattress too! :hurr I'm just kidding about the revealing thing. :P

No idea, but it felt like I/my body was being pulled upwards. Made me wonder if I smoked pot or something while I was sleeping. :s

Even in the summer? I tend to wake up with my blankets kicked off a lot. :( I can sleep fine with blankets covering my body and have gone to sleep completely under the blanket, so I can do that as well. It's just dangerous have breathing orifices blocked by blanket or pillow. :s

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do either fetus, soldier or starfish depending on my mood when I sleep :lmao

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Originally I slept "freefall" but I am currently trying to change to sleeping on my back. I have back problems and apparently sleeping on my back is better. Every now and them I am also known to sleep on my side but that is rare, it kinda depends on whether my back hurts. I can't seem to find a lone position which describes me properly either lol

redcorpse

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
foetus, soldier or freefaller. i think soldier the most.

and yeah, i think the traits do apply for me ...

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, my main sleeping position is really a cross between the log x yearner x freefaller positions. :lmao I don’t really pay much attention to what these positions say about me. It’s interesting though that they’ve actually studied people’s sleeping habits/patterns.

When I’m really tired/exhausted even to the point where I don’t eat, I sleep in the starfish position.

DLord.Van.Buuren

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I use some of those, anything I feel will make comfortable.

I'm a freefaller most of the time though.