Discussion - Zoro Discussion Thread | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Zoro Discussion Thread

Is It a Requirement for Zoro to have Conqueror's Haki?

• Total voters

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Zoro will find ample of swordsmen in Wano. Anyone who can Scratch Jack can make an impact and be a worthy opponent. I dont think Shutenmaru is the strongest either, but there will be plenty of them at that level.
Wano is Zoro's arc....

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I think (and I'm going to assume this is a very unpopular opinion) that Oda is incredibly careful not to box Zoro in with an opponent that can easily defeat him or leave him in a near death state at this point in the story.

Even when faced with an admiral, Zoro wasnt forced to fight his way out of the situation because he wasnt the target and Doflamingo never even acknowledged Zoro was troublesome. Oda is careful to put Zoro up against only people he has a chance to beat.

I also think it is because Oda is trying to limit Zoro's losses.
This doesn't really make sense because Zoro can find a way to overcome what limit he has or power through and beat his opponents like he did Daz Bones. I don't see how it'd be good for Zoro to not be boxed in because he won't get stronger or improve as quickly or significantly as he needs to.

afromarco005

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
There in lies my frustration.

Luffy's goal is to be Pirate King, he is putting in WORK with everything he has accomplished

Zoro has a goal, not as difficult but still worth while and he hasn't made a single stride to get there.

He has defeated ANY famous swordsmen and I know he can. His portrayal has been awful.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

There is no reason why Oda couldn't make Pica a famous New World Swordsman, but he was reduced to a coward who hid in stone.

This is entirely Oda's fault, I know but it still sucks
Especially after seeing how strong Vergo was, Pica left a bad taste in my mouth.

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Especially after seeing how strong Vergo was, Pica left a bad taste in my mouth.
Still so many pages in and fans are trying use Zoro trying to teach Momo a word a feat? Lol so desperate if at that point now.

Still surprised after many chapters he still doing nothing for this long. Truly ensure Oda will be working on his character more which would be interesting. So my theory might have a chance to happen if its redemption to reestablishing himself more.

Wow....My theory was right. Those townspeople especially that smiling guy that travel with Zoro tricked him and took his sword(s) or someone in cahoots with them or not. Regardless my stolen sword theory was correct. I was just joking around on that as I though Zoro won't let that happen, but guess wrong there. Not bragging at all, just genuinely shock that Zoro's sword got stolen out of this. If that shows, then Oda is truly working on his character more this arc and we might see a big defeat out of him in the arc that will damage his non-curse sword result form it. Though will meet someone who heal him back to health (Possible one of the Nine Scabbard) and get his revenge and his original and new sword in the process while defeating his opponent. Then he make it in time for the festival attack and join the others after his soul-searching journey.

Not gonna be 100% thinking it will happen, but was able to guess the sword taken from Zoro part, so we can never know how far Oda will go on developing his character and making a struggle for him.

Last edited:

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Zoro, needs an opponent he can really shoe his stuff. That's the only objective frustration I can see fans having

Pica was not weak. Why do ppl think that?
Zoo's fight with Pica I admit was not too impressive.

Zoo's swordsmandship was league's above Pica's DF ability & combat lv. So yes cutting stone is not a feat for Zoro anymore. HOWEVER! It was Zoo's lack of serious effort & the size of the objects he was hacking & slashing to bits...His 1080 Pound Flying Slash was hella of impressive Zoro could cut something so large from so far...Then his dismantling of Pica's huge body had fans & characters like WTF!

It was very one sided. But Pica's DF ability isnt something easy to deal with.

Sachsenhesse

Reaction score
Country
Germany
So just a thought. We know how Zoro went "i feel your presence" against Mr.1, that was after a srsly beating. Which we can surely relate to earlystage haki. What if... Zoro gets stronger haki the more damage he receives.

Hear me out. Mihawk may have seen this in training and Zoro was like" well only one way to try out"... Eye gets cut by himself or Mihawk. Which gave him a powerup.

Its kinda farfetched, but i think there is a reason we never saw him really in a pinch in the New World and it is because of a potential powerup which puts him near/ or Luffys level. And somehow i think the fight vs. Mr.1 is the key.

nik87

Banned
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So just a thought. We know how Zoro went "i feel your presence" against Mr.1, that was after a srsly beating. Which we can surely relate to earlystage haki. What if... Zoro gets stronger haki the more damage he receives.

Hear me out. Mihawk may have seen this in training and Zoro was like" well only one way to try out"... Eye gets cut by himself or Mihawk. Which gave him a powerup.

Its kinda farfetched, but i think there is a reason we never saw him really in a pinch in the New World and it is because of a potential powerup which puts him near/ or Luffys level. And somehow i think the fight vs. Mr.1 is the key.
Well, it fits with what Rayleigh said - in a hard battle haki blooms but I am taking that statement very carefully. People will claim that Haki will progress constantly in hard battles but unless its specifically shown that there is any improvement I am not buying it.
Zoro went from not being able to do something to doing it.
Luffy went from not being able to see future to seeing it, inconsistently.
I saw claims that his armament improved against Katakuri but I am not convinced.

Depends what Asura demonic spirit is, if its CoC it would make sense since the battle with Kaku was pushing Zoro quite hard.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, that's why now we in Yonko Saga, we can expect more struggle and maybe loses from Zoro as this won't be end of the crew facing more challenges later on.
I don't think he needs to lose, the fights just have to be tough. Same with Sanji and the others. THe only one who loses during an arc tends to be Luffy, and then he overcomes that and wins in a rematch. I'd rather keep it like that and have the others overcome their weaknesses in their fights.

Zoro, needs an opponent he can really shoe his stuff. That's the only objective frustration I can see fans having

Pica was not weak. Why do ppl think that?
Zoo's fight with Pica I admit was not too impressive.

Zoo's swordsmandship was league's above Pica's DF ability & combat lv. So yes cutting stone is not a feat for Zoro anymore. HOWEVER! It was Zoo's lack of serious effort & the size of the objects he was hacking & slashing to bits...His 1080 Pound Flying Slash was hella of impressive Zoro could cut something so large from so far...Then his dismantling of Pica's huge body had fans & characters like WTF!

It was very one sided. But Pica's DF ability isnt something easy to deal with.
I think Oda could have made it more of a fight, but he didn't want to push Zoro yet. He gave Franky a tough fight in that arc, he gave Luffy a tough fight, Law one. He gave one to Kyros...but not Zoro. Pica is strong, but the matchup wasn't interesting, which sucks. We are 9 years into the New World and Zoro and Sanji are still waiting for their defining fights...i really hope we get those in Wano, and I think we will.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think he needs to lose, the fights just have to be tough. Same with Sanji and the others. The only one who loses during an arc tends to be Luffy, and then he overcomes that and wins in a rematch. I'd rather keep it like that and have the others overcome their weaknesses in their fights.
I am fine either way, but just saying Zoro needs it to feel like how he was pre-timeskip. He need challenges that cause him to struggle or lose in the first round. One of the reasons fans became fans of Zoro is how he struggles and have good fights out of it especially for his dream, but lately he just been breezing through weaker enemies and doesn't seem capable handling serious one when he interacts with them. He truly need some work on that and hopefully maybe Oda is going that direction to feel like same before.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am fine either way, but just saying Zoro needs it to feel like how he was pre-timeskip. He need challenges that cause him to struggle or lose in the first round. One of the reasons fans became fans of Zoro is how he struggles and have good fights out of it especially for his dream, but lately he just been breezing through weaker enemies and doesn't seem capable handling serious one when he interacts with them. He truly need some work on that and hopefully maybe Oda is going that direction to feel like same before.
Oh, i agree completely. For Zoro and Sanji, a tough fight like Enies Lobby are what they need. Get hurt, but overcome their weaknesses and win. That's always the best. The killing enemies easily isn't that interesting.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
I think many forgot certain Promises the Straw Hats have made to themselves...Zoro promised he would never lose again to Luffy after Mihawk owned him....Zoro didn't take any real L since then besides the slight Lucci BFR which he and Luffy got owned then...& When Kuma returned & sent everyone away. That was a group defeat lol. But Zoro means this, especially when it comes to a sword fight. He won't lost again, but will have struggle fights. or may be even a short lived lose is due in the future...

Luffy also made a Promise after he lost Ace & his crew. He promised to never lose again also..Hes lived up to this promise, aside from when BM pirates jumped him while exhausted. & recently he gained a L with Kaidou.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think many forgot certain Promises the Straw Hats have made to themselves...Zoro promised he would never lose again to Luffy after Mihawk owned him....Zoro didn't take any real L since then besides the slight Lucci BFR which he and Luffy got owned then...& When Kuma returned & sent everyone away. That was a group defeat lol. But Zoro means this, especially when it comes to a sword fight. He won't lost again, but will have struggle fights. or may be even a short lived lose is due in the future...

Luffy also made a Promise after he lost Ace & his crew. He promised to never lose again also..Hes lived up to this promise, aside from when BM pirates jumped him while exhausted. & recently he gained a L with Kaidou.
...you can't casually brush aside Zoro losing to Kuma both times, once in Thriller Bark, and once in Sabaody. He lost, and that directly led to his asking his "enemy" to train him. I think that's when Zoro realized how naive his proclamation was. "I'll never lose again" was easier to say then to do once he saw just how strong the new world would be. Same with Luffy.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
...you can't casually brush aside Zoro losing to Kuma both times, once in Thriller Bark, and once in Sabaody. He lost, and that directly led to his asking his "enemy" to train him. I think that's when Zoro realized how naive his proclamation was. "I'll never lose again" was easier to say then to do once he saw just how strong the new world would be. Same with Luffy.
Zoro lost more than that. We can go on in pre-timeskip and on post-timeskip too. Don't get why fans can't accept Zoro isn't immune to losing cause he have lost fights. He actually has more canon loses than any other character due to Kuina lol.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Wasn't casually brushing it aside. It's not a lost that can be held against him, like a few others I mentioned. the SH just finished fighting a Warlord Crew & Oz with Luffy's capability.. Nobody could have beaten Kuma at the time no matter how hard they tried.
Zoro's sacrafices in that arc was epic.

Which is why I just jumped to the 2nd stomping of the crew. It wasn't juss Zoro it was everyone, both times.

Zoro lost more than that. We can go on in pre-timeskip and on post-timeskip too. Don't get why fans can't accept Zoro isn't immune to losing cause he have lost fights. He actually has more canon loses than any other character due to Kuina lol.
So King dont see the troll, or distasteful anti-Zoro premise in your post. This is how threads get out of hand. Because when someone replies in seriousness to this, whimsical "Zoro is a scrub" post, it goes on & on & on.

If You want to be taken more seriously, be honest on your position about characters whether you like them or not, or if you dont like how the author handles the character etc...Dont troll.

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wasn't casually brushing it aside. It's not a lost that can be held against him, like a few others I mentioned. the SH just finished fighting a Warlord Crew & Oz with Luffy's capability.. Nobody could have beaten Kuma at the time no matter how hard they tried.
Zoro's sacrafices in that arc was epic.

Which is why I just jumped to the 2nd stomping of the crew. It wasn't juss Zoro it was everyone, both times.

So King dont see the troll, or distasteful anti-Zoro premise in your post. This is how threads get out of hand. Because when someone replies in seriousness to this, whimsical "Zoro is a scrub" post, it goes on & on & on.

If You want to be taken more seriously, be honest on your position about characters whether you like them or not, or if you dont like how the author handles the character etc...Dont troll.
Not trolling. He has his loses in both pre-timeskip and post-timeskip. You be trolling by saying he never lost a fight. Nothing Anti-Zoro about it if there is canon facts. I am being honest, but your taking things too seriously like before. You got learn to accept others opinions especially evidence backing them up.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Not trolling. He has his loses in both pre-timeskip and post-timeskip. You be trolling by saying he never lost a fight. Nothing Anti-Zoro about it if there is canon facts. I am being honest, but your taking things too seriously like before. You got learn to accept others opinions especially evidence backing them up.
But who ever said Zoro never lost a fight or can't lose a fight...?

I don't have to accept other opinions. All I have to do is be respectful to others that's it.

I'm challenging your bombastic statements and rhetoric of Zoro isn't all that great; Which is only happening because of the the backlash I guess one of your favorite character has gotten. It only comes from you dude, that's why it's a troll. You do it as a tit for tat thig, wit the characters, it's wack.

You say fans act like Zoro is immune??....Like How??!! you try to shine this negative light on non existent issues, about the character….Zoro has not lost a fight in the NW.....

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
But who ever said Zoro never lost a fight or can't lose a fight...?

I don't have to accept other opinions. All I have to do is be respectful to others that's it.

I'm challenging your bombastic statements and rhetoric of Zoro isn't all that great; Which is only happening because of the the backlash I guess one of your favorite character has gotten. It only comes from you dude, that's why it's a troll. You do it as a tit for tat thig, wit the characters, it's wack.

You say fans act like Zoro is immune??....Like How??!! you try to shine this negative light on non existent issues, about the character….Zoro has not lost a fight in the NW.....
Dude called you out you were brushing his loses like he never lost a fight when he does.

Alright then.

Not really, only you certain few acting out of it and there are others coming to defense against your rhetoric on how your acting. Not trolling from my side, but your acting like it as you can't take opinions even on Zoro's side when they are true of him losing a fight.

They do. You should seen stuff I hear about him lately. Fans even think he is stronger than Luffy which shows that there are many overhype things about him that are not true. Zoro has lost fights in NW as he lost it technically to Fishman Island Pirates as he was captured along with Usopp and Brook. He lost to Yeti Brothers, and latest he has an poor showing with Hawkins in a fight too. Zoro has his moments of losing or struggle, he isn't going to breeze opponents down at all which is what a lot of us want as we want to see Zoro struggle again, not be Gary-Sue on easily beating characters.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Pretty sure that was said regarding Swordsmen, not all fights. Don't think Zoro has lost one fight to a Swordsman save Mihawk.

afromarco005

Reaction score
Country
France
How did you come to that conclusion exactly?

I don't see Zoro losing in a straight up swordsman fight as he said right after being slashed by Mihawk the great that he'd never lose again until the day he is strong enough to challenge him again

King Moe

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
How did you come to that conclusion exactly?

I don't see Zoro losing in a straight up swordsman fight as he said right after being slashed by Mihawk the great that he'd never lose again until the day he is strong enough to challenge him again
For character development and redemption as his pride as a swordsman. I didn't think this way, but after the theory of his swords stolen, we don't know what Oda has in store and it might he possible since not many expected that.

Huh? He still loses fight even before that speech. What you mean? It won't damage his really as he already lost prior in pre-timeskip and on post-timeskip. Where you get idea Zoro never lose before? Cause he has lost fights before and after the promise.