Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 400 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

How will Kyokuto Necromance perform on Shonen Jump?

• A Success

• Decently Well

• It Will Struggle

• A Flop

Results are only viewable after voting.

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #25 (2024)
Kill Blue (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 1st Anniversary)
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Mission: Yozakura Family
Psych House (Color Page; 2nd Chapter)
SAKAMOTO DAYS
Kyokuto Necromance
Youhei no Hen (Color Page; 47p; Oneshot by Mane Hideaki)
Astro Royale
Jujutsu Kaisen
Akane-banashi (Color Page)
WITCH WATCH
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Undead Unluck
Me & Roboco
Nue's Exorcist
Kagurabachi
Green Green Greens
Dear Anemone
ONE PIECE (Absent)
The Elusive Samurai (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (2024) - Preview
Cover & LCP: Nue's Exorcist (1st Anniversary)
CP: Blue Box; Super Psychic Policeman Chojo; Oneshot by Satoushou Masayoshi
Absent: My Hero Academia

Last edited:

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Don't know if is just me but i found Dear Anemone art surprisingly boring, it's technically good but has no impact, there's nothing in the art that makes me go "wow that's cool", not to mention the character designs problem, but i'm sure is just a matter of Matsui being a new artist, this is going to be a good first experience for him, he has potential to develop a great artstyle but he is really underdeveloped at the moment, his art is basically "nice looking" but lacks personality.
I was feeling the same way. I mean compared to Black Milk, I thought that that one-shot, the art and characters had more personality. In Dear Anemone, it is just to serious and dark. It is the kind of thing that reminded me of Bakuman where there was that whole thing where PCP was to dark in the beginning with all of that shading. I guess the readers found it too dark.

iker_03

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Shoseki Ranking Top 500 (April 16)
1. Jujutsu Kaisen #26
4. My Hero Academia #40
13. Dr. STONE #27
32. SAKAMOTO DAYS #16
123. The Elusive Samurai #15
128. WITCH WATCH #16
165. Mission: Yozakura Family #23
198. Kill Blue #4
391. Me & Roboco #17

Last edited:

KrenKren

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
213. Kagurabachi #1

Seems it’ll outlast a few of the new releases this month as well
I guess slow and steady really does win the race

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I was feeling the same way. I mean compared to Black Milk, I thought that that one-shot, the art and characters had more personality. In Dear Anemone, it is just to serious and dark. It is the kind of thing that reminded me of Bakuman where there was that whole thing where PCP was to dark in the beginning with all of that shading. I guess the readers found it too dark.
Maybe is a good thing that he didn't debut with this one shot then so he can go back with the experience of his first publication and refine his skiils better before trying with perhaps a story that has more potential to work

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Maybe is a good thing that he didn't debut with this one shot then so he can go back with the experience of his first publication and refine his skiils better before trying with perhaps a story that has more potential to work
Could be. It’s not easy to know if the one-shot they want to do matches what the audience wants as well as if the author has figured it out.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kinda ironic regarding the "Comedy VS Serious/Dark" discussion that the current batch of 2 new series are literally a gag series getting cp and ranking in the top 2 while the dark series is totally flopping in the bottom 2, just realised that now lol

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Kinda ironic regarding the "Comedy VS Serious/Dark" discussion that the current batch of 2 new series are literally a gag series getting cp and ranking in the top 2 while the dark series is totally flopping in the bottom 2, just realised that now lol
Oh that's right. Quite the irony huh? I guess this batch shows the harsh reality about how to deliver to your audience. We have to thank Tsugumi Ohba for that philosophy in Bakuman.

KyuKyu555

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Oh that's right. Quite the irony huh? I guess this batch shows the harsh reality about how to deliver to your audience. We have to thank Tsugumi Ohba for that philosophy in Bakuman.
Quote sauce?

Crimson Trickster

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
I think Dear Anemone plot post chapter 3 at a minimum could have probably had another revision or two made...it's not executing the concept in a way to be at a level where it can be competitive among other ongoing weekly shonen jump manga.
The problem with Dear Anemone right now is that Gaku has had seemingly no agency in the story other than having a strong "willpower". Sure I don't expect him to be fighting the battles, but he's just reacting to the threats around him. He doesn't seem to question why this place is like this, he's just looking for his friend.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Nobody has any agency in Dear Anemone, they characters are little more than talking objects getting dragged along by the plot. And then most of them look the same on top of it which makes me wonder why they're even there, the manga so far is Anemone vs various monsters and beyond that everything's skippable.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
We reached 400 pages! :confetti

And we're only halfway April! 2023 thread had 598 pages, despite it feeling like some users are a bit more silent recently (but active in the polls) hopfully we can keep going stronger through the year 💪

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The problem with Dear anemone is not a lack of jokes.
Also, Who has more sales kagurabachi or kill blue?

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
YOUR FAVORITE PAGES OF SHONEN JUMP ISSUE #20 (2024)

Hi guys, here we go with another "Your Favorite Page of Shonen Jump", this time from the issue #20!

For anyone that forgot how it works and etc, just check the original post explaining everything:

Hope you guys participate! 🙏

~~~~~~~~~~ /// ~~~~~~~~~~

My Top 3 of the issue:

3. Kill Blue Chapter 49

Super cool spread page, Fujimaki really showing he is fit for action scenes in the current arc

2. Nue's Exorcist Chapter 46

When was the last time we had such a classic harem/ecchi trope scene in a Jump battle shounen? Jump got so tame lately that this trope became something refreshing to see lol Also Suo-senpai is the best!

1. Astro Royale Chapter 1

Well, no surprises here, Astro had many cool pages but i feel like this one is definitely the best because it basically throws the script away until that point in the chapter and i also feels like depending on how the manga turns out in terms of popularity it might become a iconic Shonen Jump page in the future...

Last edited:

Dongus

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Nobody has any agency in Dear Anemone, they characters are little more than talking objects getting dragged along by the plot. And then most of them look the same on top of it which makes me wonder why they're even there, the manga so far is Anemone vs various monsters and beyond that everything's skippable.
I wouldn't say no one has any agency... The goal was to reach the lab and find out what happened and that's exactly what they did. It's just that, for five weeks now, we've been at the lab and we don't actually know what happened. Somehow, we got TWO backstories for Lobelia in that time period. There is a startling lack of progression. There... still isn't a clue as to what happened which is what the characters came here to find out.

The truth is that the MC does have agency. He came here to find out what happened to his friend. He hasn't been acting on it, but that's his reason for being here. But there's a flaw to it that I don't think anyone here's said out loud. Maybe it's out of fear of coming off shallow. Well, I'm shallow so I will.

It's hard to bring oneself to care about MC's goal because his friend's ugly. There, that's why. If it was a cute girl, people would resonate with it better. If it was a handsome bishie, fujos would be willing to play along with it. I'm sorry to all chubby brocolli-haired fellas out there, but there isn't anyone out there who sees a guy like that and thinks, "I hope he's okay." People really are that inherently shallow. When I watch a Doraemon movie, and Giant and Suneo get kidnapped by cavemen, I just think, "Oh no, anyway." But if it's Shizuka, I'd think, "Oh crap she's in danger!" You barely have any time to work your magic storytelling in a weekly magazine, so the least you could do is make your characters conventionally attractive if they were to be a focal point for sympathy. Ugly faces can work in gag manga since those aren't trying to tug at your emotional center. Only Nobuyuki Fukumoto gets away with drawing ugly ass characters weekly, guy got away with it for 20 years.

Friki

Reaction score
Country
France
We reached 400 pages! :confetti

And we're only halfway April! 2023 thread had 598 pages, despite it feeling like some users are a bit more silent recently (but active in the polls) hopfully we can keep going stronger through the year 💪
Kagurabachi effect

SkullMan

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
The truth is that the MC does have agency. He came here to find out what happened to his friend. He hasn't been acting on it, but that's his reason for being here.
That's not true agency. His entire reason he came to this dangerous island is for some guy he barely knows, and some guy we the readers barely know. His entire motivations and character quirks like rushing to save people, are just based on this one character who's only shown up for a couple of pages. If that fat kid didn't exist, Gaku would have never gone to this island at all and honestly that's kind of lame for a protagonist

pennycryman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Anemone being a straight battle shonen is honestly the most boring route it could've taken. It needed to lean on its suspense and horror elements more, since gorey battle shonen is already a fulfilled niche. It's not like it has the ability to pull off straightforward battle shonen anyway so it might as well have taken the plunge and become a full gore series like the first chapter.