Best Mangaka | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Mangaka

Who is the Best Mangaka?

• Oda Eiichiro

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • Naoki Urasawa

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • Osamu Tezuka

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Togashi Yoshihiro

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Masashi Kishimoto

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitebeard8

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I nominate Hideaki Sorachi for the Best Mangaka.

hao-sama

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I support Oda Eiichiro for Best Mangaka. His genius knows no bounds.

Fomano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I really wanted to nominate either Naoki Urasawa or Takehiko Inoue, in my opinion they are the greatest mangakas today, but I would be disrespecting the Manga History. I nominate Osamu Tezuka, it's not about the quality of his work, although he wrote some masterpieces, but about LEGACY, he wasn't the only mangaka at his time, but he was the greatest and the most prolific. He inspired generations of mangakas directly or indirectly and not only that, he was admired by many people of many different artistic fields, such as Stanley Kubrick, Mauricio de Sousa (more or less the brazilian counterpart of Charles M. Schulz) and Hayao Miyazaki (ok, he wrote mangas too, but we know that his speciality is animation). I really want to write more about him, I have the feeling that I will ways miss something when writing about Tezuka, but that's pretty much what I wanted to say, so good luck Tezuka.

BlackHair

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I support Naoki Urasawa. I rly can't vote for a author whose manga is not finished. Thus Oda and Kishimoto are of picture. A manga is remembered if the tale is well said. That can be only judged if the work is finished. This guy is a famous seinen author -> Monster!

After Naoki, my vote would go to Akira Toriyama - > Dragonball.

Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I nominate Masashi Kishimoto.
but if I can, I nominate THE HEAVENLY AKIRA TORIYAMA
Which one should I add? Please choose one.

The list is updated.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I think Urasawa should win this, because of what he accomplished as an author...he has two legendary seinen titles, reason enough to put him above every other author in this category...so just by the quantity of his work and his success with those titles...and if we take and compare the titles directly, the result is the same for me

crimsonlink310

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Holy crap Oda has way too many nominations for him not to win. Still I'll vote Togashi and hope he manages to win.

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I would go with Eichiro Oda. His manga is pure masterpiece and he never stops to surprise me.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
The question here is:
Are you going to vote for the mangaka who wrote your favourite manga or are you going to vote for the best mangaka ?

For me, it's not the same. Writing one masterpiece is something, writing severals is an other.
So, Naoki Urasawa for the win (even if Oda is going to win this by a large margin ...)

Important Remark: DON'T VOTE FOR TOGASHI. I don't care if his mangas are very good. The guy show no respect for his fans & is lazy. He gave a whole new meaning to the word HIATUS. I respect his lifestyle & he is perfectly right to enjoy life that way but we shouldn't praise him for that

Last edited:

noonethere

Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
The question here is:
Are you going to vote for the mangaka who wrote your favourite manga or are you going to vote for the best mangaka ?

For me, it's not the same. Writing one masterpiece is something, writing severals is an other.
So, Naoki Urasawa for the win (even if Oda is going to win this by a large margin ...)

Important Remark: DON'T VOTE FOR TOGASHI. I don't care if his mangas are very good. The guy show no respect for his fans & is lazy. He gave a whole new meaning to the word HIATUS. I respect his lifestyle & he is perfectly right to enjoy life that way but we shouldn't praise him for that
I agree with what you are saying but using that logic shouldn't Tezuka be the more suitable option?

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
On a historical point of view Tezuka is important but does it make him the best mangaka ? His manga are a bit too old fashioned for my taste. So yeah Urozawa is my pick. But well, if Oda does not win this poll that would be one of the biggest surprise of this awards.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Tezuka is by no doubt the father of manga and a creator of multiple masterpieces. But I voted for the living king of mangaka, Naoki Urasawa. The master of suspense just never fails to deliver and impress me.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
First of all,I won't vote for a manga-ka,who hasn't even finished one of his big pieces(Kishimoto,Oda),so the only options for me are Togashi,Tezuka and Urasawa.Togashi is a fantastic manga-ka.Level E was very enjoyable and while I only read a few chapters of Yu Yu Hakusho,the hype surrounding it is most likely justified.HunterxHunter is yet another amazing manga,which speaks for Togashi's qualities as a manga-ka.However,the hiatuses kinda leave an ugly trace.I do understand that a manga-ka's life is inhuman and stuff,but he's writing for the fans and it makes the competition in JUMP(which is still a business) a tad unfair for the rest,who give their best to impress their readers.So yeah,no vote for him,even though he's one of the best manga-ka without a doubt.
Tezuka is the manga-god.Without him,manga would still be a simple comic with flat simple art.As I have read only one of his manga,I can't really bring myself to vote for him,though.
Urasawa on the other hand impressed me immensly.Every single manga I read by him was a masterpiece and the thrilling suspense never ceased to draw me in.While having a recognizable style,it never gets old.His art is believable,very captivating and always manages to create the right mood.He does have little problems with his pacing(just like Oda),but other than that,I would almost call him perfect,which is why he gets my vote.

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't know what to think or vote. After reading the arguments about each one, I realize voting for my favorite series currently doesn't make them worthy of winning as Best Mangaka. And after reading some pages of Urasawa and how much some users defend him makes me interested so I just went to see some of them. And it was indeed good.

So my vote will go without a deep reading of his works.

Teubier

Reaction score
Country
Reunion
I beg to differ. :mono
Not only do I not believe in the concept of duty, but I also think that someone who receives has to be respectful too, if not more. It can be far easier to receive than to give.
If he is ever praised in this poll, then it wouldn't be for That, obviously... before respecting his lifestyle, comes respecting what he gave us, imho.

Maybe you're the one who doesn't show respect to his laziness...

Last edited:

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I beg to differ. :mono
Not only do I not believe in the concept of duty, but I also think that someone who receives has to be respectful too, if not more. It can be far easier to receive than to give.
If he is ever praised in this poll, than it wouldn't be for That, obviously... before respecting his lifestyle, comes respecting what he gave us, imho.

Maybe you're the one who doesn't show respect to his laziness...
Well, for start, I firmly believe in the concept of duty :).
Togashi is paid a lot of money for his work & I do feel that as an artist, he should respect his fans ... and much more importantly his own work. Togashi destroyed Yu Yu hakusho with the rushed ending for example & nearly managed to do the same with all the hiatus in HxH.

Togashi is a genius & he is fully aware of it ... that's his power. With great powers come great responsability :D.
Personally, I can like the art, not the artist & have nothing against the man.

NB: I don't want to argue for years as I do understand that the concept I'm trying to explain can be seen as "special/weird"

Google_kun >> I'm not buying it. In my work (at my level), I'm a real professional. Even when I hate something I'm doing, I'm going through all the needed efforts in order to deliver something good in time. Togashi had the luck to be recognized as a great mangaka, many are not receiving a chance & some of them might even be as talented. Basically, I feel like Togashi is often biting the hand that feed him. For what I know, he is the first "diva" among mangakas ... The "Bobby Fisher" of mangakas

Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't know if I fully understand what you are trying to say.
Togashi is paid a lot of money for his work & I do feel that as an artist, he should respect his fans ... and much more importantly his own work. Togashi destroyed Yu Yu hakusho with the rushed ending for example & nearly managed to do the same with all the hiatus in HxH.

Togashi is a genius & he is fully aware of it ... that's his power. With great powers come great responsability :D.
Personally, I can like the art, not the artist & have nothing against the man.

NB: I don't want to argue for years as I do understand that the concept I'm trying to explain can be seen as "special/weird"
You say he should respect his own piece of art,but what you are forgetting is the fact that he might actually take hiatuses because he respects it.As far as I know,he ended Yu Yu Hakusho because he was sick of it.So instead of ruining HunterxHunter as well,he decides to take breaks in order to not get sick of his own work again.As we don't know about the circumstances,it's hard to judge his actions.

Teubier

Reaction score
Country
Reunion
Oh me neither, I was just trying to express a different viewpoint, about several things, that we don't seem to share at all. Nothing serious. And I don't think your concept is "special/weird", au contraire ! :^_^

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I think he was sick literally. Even if it does not explain 6 months of hiatus, it's quite clear that Togashi is not made for a weekly release manga. So maybe these pause are for the best judging how well received is HxH recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.