Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The Medaka Box cover arrives. [noparse]:D[/noparse]

And I've got a question about Toriko. Does it get that much better later on? I've enjoyed what I've read so far, but top 5 always seemed a little too high. Is Kuroko the same deal?
Toriko is definitely Top 5 worthy.

After re-reading the 18 chapters of Kuroko I have to say that it doesn't quite feel like a top 5 contender. It feels more like it should be in the middle of the mag. Everything else outside of the game with the first Generation of Miracles opponent hasn't felt on that level.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think that if a series starts to exceed Dragonball's length and is not still good, it really needs to end. That's what I call a douchebag series. A series that doesn't realize is sucks and won't give up to let in a new generation, because they want money. :)
Funny, and I thought KochiKame and JJBA were legendary :P (then again the former was around way before DB)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

medaka box cover pleases me slightly.

and i agree on kuroko no basket not being top 5 worthy. it's a middler in every way to me, if that
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Funny, and I thought KochiKame and JJBA were legendary :P (then again the former was around way before DB)
I think he's not talking about the length, but rather whether the story is still good or not. If it's no good, then it's time to end instead of keep going at it ;)
 

unok-kun

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
769
Reaction score
434
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hey, anyone knows when will the raws for the next issue come out? Because the spoilers (which usually come out around Wednesday) are already out, and Fairy Tail (whose first raw is out on Tuesdays) has already a raw out. Does anyone know if the raws for WSJ will come out around Wednesday or on Friday as usual?
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hopefully they come out on friday, so we don't have that awkward week of waiting for chapters/spoilers again. If I remember correctly, last year they came out on monday... but I could be wrong.

Technically someone just acquired this friday's issue early.

I'm glad Beezlebub is doing well, I just hope that girl doesn't turn out to be a rival, cause there always has to be a rival character...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Since the week that just ended was the issueless one, even if they come early there won't (shouldn't?) be another full week without chapters. Maybe they'll come out a day or two early this week.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hey, anyone knows when will the raws for the next issue come out? Because the spoilers (which usually come out around Wednesday) are already out, and Fairy Tail (whose first raw is out on Tuesdays) has already a raw out. Does anyone know if the raws for WSJ will come out around Wednesday or on Friday as usual?
It depends on who the raws are coming from. The spoilers obviously come from Japan because that is where the magazine is printed, so any early(earlier than normal) raw would also have to come from Japan.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hey, anyone knows when will the raws for the next issue come out? Because the spoilers (which usually come out around Wednesday) are already out, and Fairy Tail (whose first raw is out on Tuesdays) has already a raw out. Does anyone know if the raws for WSJ will come out around Wednesday or on Friday as usual?
BTW, Fairy Tail isn't serialized in WSJ, but WSM :)
 

unok-kun

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
769
Reaction score
434
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yeah, I know, but it's Golden Week for all magazines, I'm just comparing.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yeah, I know, but it's Golden Week for all magazines, I'm just comparing.
That's true but the date of magazine release is different. Whereas we have to face the burden of golden week for WSJ's raws this week, we'll have to face the burden of golden week for WSM's raws next week ^^

Anyway, they'll probably come out next week though the spoilers are early yeah
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I am very happy with this ToC. Toriko and beelzebub show that there's material enough to make long running shounens shorter eg reborn, bleach and others. There'll be a day (and we're getting to it now) older series will suffer because they are taking too long while refreshing series want their place too.
I'm not sure I understand you. Ignoring the fact that this week is obviously a fluke, why would older series end quicker just because newer ones are doing well? True, something has to take the place of the older ones someday, but being cancelled early because of that is a bit of a stretch I think. If anything, series like Psyren, Sket and Mago will suffer if things keep going like this...
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I'm not sure I understand you. Ignoring the fact that this week is obviously a fluke, why would older series end quicker just because newer ones are doing well? True, something has to take the place of the older ones someday, but being cancelled early because of that is a bit of a stretch I think. If anything, series like Psyren, Sket and Mago will suffer if things keep going like this...
Lol, I think this is a misunderstanding but I'd just wanted to point out that some series are so boringly long that they are still in the magazine because of the merchandising they bring (since they are overwhelmingly popular). I love to see how toriko, beelzebub, bakuman (and kuroko? depends from point of view) are a proof there's really very good and new refreshing manga ^^

and will psyren, sket and mago suffer? Well I do wonder which serie was a last top hit before toriko, bakuman and beelzebub? There'll definitely be some hoop men and if not, well the minor series will sadly get the axe
 
Last edited:

Sloggett

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
32
Reaction score
4
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I love a good long running series but unfortunately many series loose their spark after awhile. I think bleach should have wrapped things up ages ago, while I'm happy with one piece going the way it's going because it still feels like it's in its prime. There is nothing worse than loosing a series when it still feels like it's in prime, double arts comes to mind.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I actually just started rewatching the original Dragonball and it makes me realize how terrible series like Bleach and Naruto are in comparison, yet they are trying to act like they are more epic. I also realized that everything in DBZ is so much more meaningful if you watch Dragonball first. It's also interesting to see where many of our different Shonen conventions were borrowed from Toriyama's work. (And the Dr. Slump mini arc was hilarious)
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I actually just started rewatching the original Dragonball and it makes me realize how terrible series like Bleach and Naruto are in comparison, yet they are trying to act like they are more epic.

I don't think they are "acting" like anything. I think they are just trying to be what they are...
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I actually just started rewatching the original Dragonball and it makes me realize how terrible series like Bleach and Naruto are in comparison, yet they are trying to act like they are more epic. I also realized that everything in DBZ is so much more meaningful if you watch Dragonball first. It's also interesting to see where many of our different Shonen conventions were borrowed from Toriyama's work. (And the Dr. Slump mini arc was hilarious)
Rewatching? So you're talking about the anime?
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I don't think they are "acting" like anything. I think they are just trying to be what they are...
So they are just being their long and overly drawn out with a poorly written story selves?
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

For all those curious (even if it is bit late), here's the Medaka Box Oneshot: http://mangahelpers.com/s/cxcscans/details/26186

While on that subject, when are the raws usually suppose to come out after golden week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top