Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2
[/noparse]Toriko is definitely Top 5 worthy.And I've got a question about Toriko. Does it get that much better later on? I've enjoyed what I've read so far, but top 5 always seemed a little too high. Is Kuroko the same deal?
Funny, and I thought KochiKame and JJBA were legendary :P (then again the former was around way before DB)I think that if a series starts to exceed Dragonball's length and is not still good, it really needs to end. That's what I call a douchebag series. A series that doesn't realize is sucks and won't give up to let in a new generation, because they want money.![]()
I think he's not talking about the length, but rather whether the story is still good or not. If it's no good, then it's time to end instead of keep going at itFunny, and I thought KochiKame and JJBA were legendary :P (then again the former was around way before DB)

It depends on who the raws are coming from. The spoilers obviously come from Japan because that is where the magazine is printed, so any early(earlier than normal) raw would also have to come from Japan.Hey, anyone knows when will the raws for the next issue come out? Because the spoilers (which usually come out around Wednesday) are already out, and Fairy Tail (whose first raw is out on Tuesdays) has already a raw out. Does anyone know if the raws for WSJ will come out around Wednesday or on Friday as usual?
BTW, Fairy Tail isn't serialized in WSJ, but WSMHey, anyone knows when will the raws for the next issue come out? Because the spoilers (which usually come out around Wednesday) are already out, and Fairy Tail (whose first raw is out on Tuesdays) has already a raw out. Does anyone know if the raws for WSJ will come out around Wednesday or on Friday as usual?

That's true but the date of magazine release is different. Whereas we have to face the burden of golden week for WSJ's raws this week, we'll have to face the burden of golden week for WSM's raws next week ^^Yeah, I know, but it's Golden Week for all magazines, I'm just comparing.
I'm not sure I understand you. Ignoring the fact that this week is obviously a fluke, why would older series end quicker just because newer ones are doing well? True, something has to take the place of the older ones someday, but being cancelled early because of that is a bit of a stretch I think. If anything, series like Psyren, Sket and Mago will suffer if things keep going like this...I am very happy with this ToC. Toriko and beelzebub show that there's material enough to make long running shounens shorter eg reborn, bleach and others. There'll be a day (and we're getting to it now) older series will suffer because they are taking too long while refreshing series want their place too.
Lol, I think this is a misunderstanding but I'd just wanted to point out that some series are so boringly long that they are still in the magazine because of the merchandising they bring (since they are overwhelmingly popular). I love to see how toriko, beelzebub, bakuman (and kuroko? depends from point of view) are a proof there's really very good and new refreshing manga ^^I'm not sure I understand you. Ignoring the fact that this week is obviously a fluke, why would older series end quicker just because newer ones are doing well? True, something has to take the place of the older ones someday, but being cancelled early because of that is a bit of a stretch I think. If anything, series like Psyren, Sket and Mago will suffer if things keep going like this...
I actually just started rewatching the original Dragonball and it makes me realize how terrible series like Bleach and Naruto are in comparison, yet they are trying to act like they are more epic.
Rewatching? So you're talking about the anime?I actually just started rewatching the original Dragonball and it makes me realize how terrible series like Bleach and Naruto are in comparison, yet they are trying to act like they are more epic. I also realized that everything in DBZ is so much more meaningful if you watch Dragonball first. It's also interesting to see where many of our different Shonen conventions were borrowed from Toriyama's work. (And the Dr. Slump mini arc was hilarious)
So they are just being their long and overly drawn out with a poorly written story selves?I don't think they are "acting" like anything. I think they are just trying to be what they are...