Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I hope Anedoki (not Ane-Toki) will be a long-running series this time, unlike the short run of Hatsukoi Limited. (It's a new series and ot just a One-Shot, right? Didn't follow the announcements. :p)

Though I'm somewhat concerned about the plot being too generic... The title at least already sounds like a typical ****** or an ecchi series where at the end they aren't blood related, so it's fine! >.>; Ahem.

Since this can't be a ****** I hope I'm wrong about the not-blood-related twisted.

On a totally unrelated note:
GODF*CKINGDAMN YES! GINTAMA AT #1!!!!!
lol, thanks for correcting me ttx :D:D
and yes, it's a new series!

The "Ane" could very well just mean an older girl next door... though I'd be fine if they's living together (rofl).

And jeez, Gintama kicking OP's ass sure got you all excited XD

[Cross];1418492 said:
What does Ane Doki mean? Ane = sister, doki = ??? (heart beat sound?)
But that's just a guess.
I'm pretty sure that's indeed the correct interpretation of the title ;)
Oh, and Ane = older sister.
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So since this seems to have pics from all the new series does that mean that mini popo looking thing is from the third new one?
Yupp, the title is cut off to some point but it definitely is.

(Kagijin's main character reminds me of Marco from ES21...maybe it's just the hair and eyes but it was my first association.^^)
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yupp, the title is cut off to some point but it definitely is.
Well even it's not out yet I will go out on a limb and say I won't like it (though I wouldn't mind being surprised by it) and I don't think it will last very long considering how Jump already has 3 popular gag mangas.
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It's a new series <3 yay <3 Thanks for the info, fin =D

Anedoki would be indeed Older Sister + Heartbeat sound, roughly translating to something like "Older Sister Excitement" which was my reason for assuming much about the plot and fearing for the worst. =S

Jump could definitely use a new Ecchi series and a longer-running one, too.


And of course Gintama at #1 got me all happy! It's at the place it rightfully belongs in Jump for once! =D



Medaka ranked #7 for the first chapter? That's quite a nose-dive for a new series, according to Bakuman >.>; If it's within the double-digits next chapter I guess we can bid it farewell already. Well, actually I'm surprised ch1 didn't get into double-digits, anyway. But I guess it's the pull of it being the first chapter working right there. I hope it recovers, for all the fans of the series.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well even it's not out yet I will go out on a limb and say I won't like it (though I wouldn't mind being surprised by it) and I don't think it will last very long considering how Jump already has 3 popular gag mangas.
Speaking of which, I lol'd when I read the description/catch phrase next to it.

"A new dawn has risen in the World of Gag!"

Granted, it's more like a sales pitch... but I'll laugh if it couldn't last through the next round of cuts...
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Speaking of which, I lol'd when I read the description/catch phrase next to it.

"A new dawn has risen in the World of Gag!"

Granted, it's more like a sales pitch... but I'll laugh if it couldn't last through the next round of cuts...
lol that would be great. I hope one of the new series bombs cuz if they don't more than likely one of my favs will suffer for it. And I would prefer the gag cuz the other two look at least mildly interesting.
 
Last edited:

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Medaka ranked #7 for the first chapter? That's quite a nose-dive for a new series, according to Bakuman >.>; If it's within the double-digits next chapter I guess we can bid it farewell already. Well, actually I'm surprised ch1 didn't get into double-digits, anyway. But I guess it's the pull of it being the first chapter working right there. I hope it recovers, for all the fans of the series.
You can't take Bakuman into consideration here. In Bakuman there are series that get canceled after three or four chapters... and some series such as Crow get #1 right at the start. :P

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Beelze and Kuroko debuted around 6th place, so... considering most canceled series in the past year (Asklepios, Bokke, Meister and Hoop) were all dead last from the very first moment, it's safe to say Medaka won't be canceled that soon unless it goes straight to the bottom.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Beelze and Kuroko debuted around 6th place, so... considering most canceled series in the past year (Asklepios, Bokke, Meister and Hoop) were all dead last from the very first moment, it's safe to say Medaka won't be canceled that soon unless it goes straight to the bottom.
Technically, Beezle's first ranking or rather, 8th chapter was with a colour page, so we can't really consider it ranked, and its next ranking (or first "real" ranking) was 7th.
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Series that get canceled after 3-4 chapters would last ~2 volumes worth ;) I highly doubt they'd publicize the reality harsher than it is in a manga made to encourage and show what manga-business is all about in WSJ... That'd be counter-productive, imho.

But then again, we only know the TOC is a roughly-similar-to-votings list. not necessarily 100% accurate (even taking out colors etc).
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

[Cross];1418896 said:
Technically, Beezle's first ranking or rather, 8th chapter was with a colour page, so we can't really consider it ranked, and its next ranking (or first "real" ranking) was 7th.
This is the one I was referring to. Exactly where Medaka is, and look how successful Beelze is.

Honestly, I think Medaka will be just like Baku-man; sometimes it's way up there, sometimes it's right next to To-LOVE. Which is not a bad thing depending on how the other newcomers do. See how long Neuro, Psyren and Sket survived while being like that.

Edit: and depending on tank sales, of course.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I really don't get why people say that "we have enough gag series" in Jump. Once upon a time, gag series WERE Jump, with a couple sports and a couple "other" here or there. (following along the lines of shonen in that era) Sure what I say really means diddly but just because KochiKame and Jaguar are safe (and Inumaru will be sticking around for a while) doesn't mean bubkus that we can't have another successful one.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I really don't get why people say that "we have enough gag series" in Jump. Once upon a time, gag series WERE Jump, with a couple sports and a couple "other" here or there. (following along the lines of shonen in that era) Sure what I say really means diddly but just because KochiKame and Jaguar are safe (and Inumaru will be sticking around for a while) doesn't mean bubkus that we can't have another successful one.
Well I just don't really like gag series personally. I read them for like a volumes worth and then i can't stand them anymore.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The toc is tough to judge nowadays. Everything is doing well and other things are forced to yo yo.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

By looking at the past trends, it's safe to say that Medaka had decent initial popularity, and is performing above average.

Both pre-ch.8 positions (partially reflecting the snap polls) as well as first "ranked" chapter are on the better half of the new series. Let's see where Medaka and Akaboshi is next week, and then we might actually be able to say that WSJ managed to get two out of two for this batch ;)

As for my comments on Wachi-mania... Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing more successful gag series in WSJ (or any magazines for that matter). It's just that the pitch line struck me as both obnoxious and premature. I mean here, we have a newbie starting a new series. The title is already using his name for crying out loud, and having a line declaring a new dawn is here gives me the impression that the author is either too fond of himself, or that the editor is overselling this guy. Either way, it's an overall negative feeling for me.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Nice to see a small preview for Kawashita's new manga. I'll hope it outlasts the gag and action series if it comes down to picking between the 3. Or maybe replace To Love Ru if need be. Not that Jump can't have more than one romance/ecchi title in it.

[Cross];1418896 said:
Technically, Beezle's first ranking or rather, 8th chapter was with a colour page, so we can't really consider it ranked, and its next ranking (or first "real" ranking) was 7th.

This is the reason I won't worry too much about it unless it seriously starts being in the bottom more than out of it. Matching Beelzebub's ranking is one thing but if Medaka gets even half the attention Jump has given Beelzebub it will probably be fine for at least until the 20 chapter mark. After that it could manage to fluctuate a bit and still be fine I think.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I really don't get why people say that "we have enough gag series" in Jump. Once upon a time, gag series WERE Jump, with a couple sports and a couple "other" here or there. (following along the lines of shonen in that era) Sure what I say really means diddly but just because KochiKame and Jaguar are safe (and Inumaru will be sticking around for a while) doesn't mean bubkus that we can't have another successful one.
I don't like gag manga myself (Inumaru is one of my least favorite current series in WSJ) but the reason I don't want this new one to succeed has nothing to do with that; it's just that the magazine happens to be too crowded with major and minor hits already, and the other two newcomers seem much more interesting to me. If one of the three needs to go (and at least one does, or else everyone's favorite bottom-dwellers will have to be sacrificed in their place), I'd choose the least interesting one.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

1 Gintama
2 One Piece
3 Inumaru
4 Sket Dance
5 Mago
6 Medaka
7 Reborn
8 Psyren
9 Kuroko
10 Bakuman
11 ToLoveRu

Okay, THIS is the lowest number of ranked series ever and..... wait... is this the best top 4 i've ever seen?

..... crap. Now i have no opinions left... this is it. the best week for me. heck reborn's even in the bottom 5..... ah man I'm in a good place right now
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

..... crap. Now i have no opinions left... this is it. the best week for me. heck reborn's even in the bottom 5..... ah man I'm in a good place right now
Good God! Noodles speechless with this ToC!? :s:s:s:s:s
Are we seeing the end of the world!?!
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Good God! Noodles speechless with this ToC!? :s:s:s:s:s
Are we seeing the end of the world!?!
No, just a weird week thanks to Naruto and Bleach being unranked.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Also it's odd because Toriko is absent and Akaboshi is still unranked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top