The problem is we vote people, not issues. They keep on campaigning pro-poor, pro-education, anti-corruption, etc. etc. Yes, they're standard campaign promises, but as goals they suck. They're not specific and measurable. Which makes any president who campaigns using that premise not accountable to their promises.
Here's how we do it right now: "When I'm elected president, I'm going to eliminate poverty". That's wrong in so many ways. First, you can't eliminate poverty, it's mathematically impossible. Second, eliminate it by when?
The way it should be done is something like: "When I'm elected president, I'm going to make sure that 90% of Filipinos will be above the poverty line, earning at least 10000 a month, by the year 2010. I'll accomplish this by encouraging small and medium businesses, and promote their growth. I'll also increase the capacity of TESDA in order to give the poor more skills and more proficiency to earn livelihood with."
I've wanted to hear a candidate with a similar complete pre-programmed agenda for more than a decade now. It's become frustrating that it's come to a point I don't care if he's a commie, as long as it's a specific goal.