Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
Probably true. I didn't really think that Prince of Tennis would be any good either, before I started reading it.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
That's right. To quote E-i-C of Bakuman: "A manga just has to be interesting"
 

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Probably true. I didn't really think that Prince of Tennis would be any good either, before I started reading it.
Uhm I don't know.

If this kind of sports don't like me also in real life, probably my interest to this manga will be few.

I know that a manga isn't the right copy of the sport, but the base is that.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I personally think an archery manga sounds awesome :tem
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I personally think an archery manga sounds awesome :tem
Me too, but I saw the raw of Sazitari (the one-shot) and was a little disappointing, especially the art...
 

komi2011

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
Morocco
[Cross];2253980 said:
For those wondering, I have Jump Next!
Should commence scanning the Komi oneshot within a day or so,
and I'll try to get my translator on it if possible.
hey, someone released the komi oneshot. It's been out on raw bunko since 3 days now.

I can't wait for the translation though!
 

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I personally think an archery manga sounds awesome :tem
C'mon.. Ok I mean archery isn't a bad sport, but you can't do a manga about this. Nay, You can do (Sazitari is the prove) but the results it's a crap.

I don't know why no one try to publish a series about hockey, it sounds great. For you wouldn't?
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
A good mangaka can turn the most boring or rather unconventional things into an interesting series IMO... I'd never let myself get scared off like that. If so, you're missing out some great stuff. :tem

I don't know why no one try to publish a series about hockey, it sounds great. For you wouldn't?
I have read two or three series about Ice Hockey and I remember reading at some other place about a not so unsuccessful Field Hockey manga.

So people have tried before. xD
 

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I have read two or three series about Ice Hockey and I remember reading at some other place about a not so unsuccessful Field Hockey manga.

So people have tried before. xD

There are two ice hockey mangas:

Go!! Southern Ice Hockey Club and Go Ahead

I have read a few chapter of "Go Ahead", but that was disappointet for me, because that wasn´t real Ice Hockey >.>
The other Manga, i haven´t read it and I don´t want it, because of the cover which was on.


But if you like other winter sports mangas, then I will suggest I-Revo and Nononono



Anyway, I would see in WSJ Magazine some new sport mangas like PoT or Eyeshield21, but plz no mix with sports and with deamon shit. It should be like PoT.
 

dokuganryuu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think Jump is trying to push some more sport series. Jump recently released one shots on archery, kendo, judo, and volleyball.
What were the names/issues with the Kendo and Judo one shots? The kendo one sounds interesting and I have a friend who practices Judo who would be interested in that one.
Thanks
 

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
A good mangaka can turn the most boring or rather unconventional things into an interesting series IMO... I'd never let myself get scared off like that. If so, you're missing out some great stuff. :tem
Wait.. I made this reasoning only for the spokon, infact now we are only talking about spokon, not seinen or shonen.
If I don't like a specific sport, for me it's impossible to read it.

I have read two or three series about Ice Hockey and I remember reading at some other place about a not so unsuccessful Field Hockey manga.

So people have tried before. xD
Thanks for the notice.

I'm a little bit dissapointed. I think hockey is a wonderful sport, perfect for a manga.

Anyway, I would see in WSJ Magazine some new sport mangas like PoT or Eyeshield21, but plz no mix with sports and with deamon shit. It should be like PoT.
Me too..
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
There are two ice hockey mangas which got Edited Mangas out
Fixed that for you... there are several more, they just never got translated.

Anyway, I would see in WSJ Magazine some new sport mangas like PoT or Eyeshield21, but plz no mix with sports and with deamon shit. It should be like PoT.
Agreed. Except the mention of TeniPuri... there are tons of better sport titles out there.
I still think JUMP should go back to the roots and give us another phenomenal Baseball manga.
 

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What were the names/issues with the Kendo and Judo one shots? The kendo one sounds interesting and I have a friend who practices Judo who would be interested in that one.
Thanks
There is a Kendo Manga called Bamboo Blade, which also was produced as a Anime-Series with 26 Episodes


I still think JUMP should go back to the roots and give us another phenomenal Baseball manga.
No, not an another Baseball manga. There is a ton of that theme. I prefer basketball or another sport theme, then that.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
What were the names/issues with the Kendo and Judo one shots? The kendo one sounds interesting and I have a friend who practices Judo who would be interested in that one.
Thanks
The kendo one shot is called Kurogane by Ikezawa Haruto; it was released on Issue 3/4.

And the judo one shot is called Ippon Bambi! by Miyamoto Kazuya; it was released on Issue 7.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
One of my favorite Jump sports series was about ping pong. In the right hands, manga about unconventional sports can be as or more interesting than ones about soccer, baseball, etc. It's all about the people, care about the characters and the competition is interesting. It's of little consequence anyway, Light Wing is another example that Jump can't support more than one sports series at a time. Not right now, the readers keep rejecting new series. Kuroko will probably be it for a good long time.

Really, other than action, it seems hard to get anything serialized in Jump. Romantic comedies, harem, comedy, sports school life, gag all used to be staples. Now anything that doesn't involve action or super natural power really struggles. Sket Dance, Gintama, Inumaru may be the last of a breed. Since Ane Doki ended has there even been a rom-com or harem series?
 

some guy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
27
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
That seems to be the case.
Doesn't Gintama generally do worse in reader polls when it's running humorous chapters with little to no action, too?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
C'mon.. Ok I mean archery isn't a bad sport, but you can't do a manga about this. Nay, You can do (Sazitari is the prove) but the results it's a crap.
But why can't you? I'm sure it's been done before Sazitari was around. Hell go is easily the most boring thing to play and watch in the world (least in my opinion) yet Hikaru no Go was a very fun and exciting series because it was well written. Like Mr. Prince and Kait said, it's all about delivery, and when dealing with an unusual sport like archery, you have an extra element of surprise than when dealing with a sport that has been done to death like soccer or baseball.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'm going to sound like a broken record and repeat what others have said. :) Any manga can be a hit as long as the characters and plot resonate with the readers no matter what the concept is. Same goes for other mediums: The Office is a television comedy about people working in a small company. It seems boring from that extremely basic synopsis I gave, but the way it's written engages its viewers.

Kyuudo (archery) has taken on its own form in Japan so it's fairly mainstream there.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
What about Badminton??!! I'd love to see that since it's my country's national sport. And hopefully someone can come up with an inspiring one like Slam Dunk did for basketball. Hopefully that'll help with the regeneration of our badminton athletes. (I've read Smash!! but it focuses more on romance than the sport itself.)
 

Zangetsu01

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
118
Reaction score
749
Gender
Male
Country
France
Jump #8 TOC, courtesy of Ohana

Ohana @ 2ch said:
10 :ohana ◆IR7jauNn4E :2011/01/19(水) 19:19:06 ID:6uNMwQwKP

表紙ナルト

エギニマ 巻頭
ワンピ
銀魂
ナルト
リボーン
トリコ C
スケット
べるぜ
改造人間ロギイ C
バクマン
こち亀 C
保健室
動物園
いぬ
ぬらり
となりのマサミちゃん
めだか
黒子
ライトニング

次号9号はワンピ巻頭
No Bleach this week ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top