Help Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for

sasiko

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Ancient japanese

肉の衣をまといし者 攻める時 
理性の箍 ものの見事に飛ぶであろうー

Context: http://www.otonomai.net/29.png
Panel 1 from right page
 

Joefish

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
27
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I don't fully understand 「同じ東京でも」 in this sentence:
新宿などの都心には、高層建築や近代的な建物が最近どんどん建っていますが、同じ東京でも、少し遠い郊外にあまり高い建物はありません。

That's how I would translate it:
Downtown of Shinjuku and other districts, there are skyscrapers and modern buildings built fast.
Same at Tokyo but the not so far off suburbs' buildings aren't that high.

But "Same at Tokyo" doesn't make any sense to me because Shinjuku is a district in Tokyo (and it sounds wrong).
I just don't know how 同じ東京でも fits in that sentence.
 

serizawa

ならぬことはならぬ
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2008
Messages
72
Reaction score
80
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: Ancient japanese

"Ancient japanese" is just part of the joke in the page, but anyway, the text says something like:

Those who are clad with the clothes of the flesh
when properly stimulated
will have their reason lost in a grandiloquent fashion...

hope this helps :)

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

新宿などの都心には、高層建築や近代的な建物が最近どんどん建っていますが、同じ東京でも、少し遠い郊外にあまり高い建物はありません。

Downtown of Shinjuku and other districts, there are skyscrapers and modern buildings built fast.
Same at Tokyo but the not so far off suburbs' buildings aren't that high.
It means something like

"In downtown Tokyo, like Shinjuku, skyscrapers and modern buildings have been built in an astonishing speed these days.
But the same city (Tokyo) presents only a few tall buildings in its far off suburbs."

Hope this helps to explain a bit... :)
 

Joefish

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
27
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Your translation is way better than mine + really accurate.
"Same at Tokyo".. :facepalm

Thanks :)

edit: wow.. after rereading your post a few times I found like 4-5 mistakes in my translation. And that's only one sentence TT
 
Last edited:

sasiko

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Ancient japanese

Those who are clad with the clothes of the flesh
when properly stimulated
will have their reason lost in a grandiloquent fashion...

if that is the translation im completely lost what that means. I asked the proofreader neither they could get head or tails what that sentence meant, could you possibly clarify htis?
thanks
"Ancient japanese" is just part of the joke in the page, but anyway, the text says something like:

Those who are clad with the clothes of the flesh
when properly stimulated
will have their reason lost in a grandiloquent fashion...

hope this helps :)
 

oldmanpoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

@Blackguard Thanks for the effort. Truly. It does help set into context the falseness of the scene, since there is no way Dalian and the guy would behave towards each other in that manner except in some "imaginary wannabe fanfic".

I have one last request, and not necessarily a translation request. If anyone is willing, can someone who can read Japanese scan over the pages I'm posting here (they are named in order): http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/oldmanpoo/TranslationRequest/.

Please just glance over the images at your leisure and tell me in just one sentence or so whether the incident on page 105(where Dalian [goth girl] puts the short skirt uniform on) actually happens within the context of the story (the whole page seems out of place) or is it just some imaginary scenario conjured up by the girls on the following pages (which seems to be the case to me). Because immediately after this incident Dalian is seen back in her regular goth school uniform with the long skirt. She was never seen walking around school or anywhere with the mini version. Can anybody please explain why? Was the scene on page 105 an imaginary scenario conjured up by that one girl on page 106 who was writing a story of some sort? Maybe a fiction of sorts? Because her behavior is inconsistent with the actual relationship dynamics between Dalian and the boy on page 105.

Much appreciated. My apologies for the odd and possibly confusing request. If there are questions, please ask.
 
Last edited:

myao

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

On pg106, the girl says 「私何か書いてんのよ...授業中に妄想SS50ページとか」 = "What am I writing... a 50 page day dream short story", so we can assume the scene in pg105 is imaginined by the pg106 girl.

@Blackguard Thanks for the effort. Truly.

I have one last request, and not necessarily a translation request. If anyone is willing, can someone who can read Japanese scan over the pages I'm posting here (they are named in order): http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/oldmanpoo/TranslationRequest/.

Please just glance over the images at your leisure and tell me in just one sentence or so whether the incident on page 105(where Dalia [goth girl] puts the short skirt uniform on) actually happens within the context of the story (the whole page seems out of place) or is it just some imaginary scenario conjured up by the girls on the following pages (which seems to be the case to me). Because immediately after this incident Dalia is seen back in her regular goth school uniform with the long skirt. She was never seen walking around school or anywhere with the mini version. Can anybody please explain why? Was the scene on page 105 an imaginary scenario conjured up by that one girl on page 106 who was writing a story of some sort? Maybe a fiction of sorts? Because her behavior is inconsistent with the actual relationship dynamics between Dalia and the boy on page 105.

Much appreciated. My apologies for the odd and possibly confusing request. If there are questions, please ask.
 

oldmanpoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Thank you very much. I assumed as much, since it seemed very out of character for Dalian (given her personality and the era of the time). I mean, it's supposed to be set in the 1920s in Britain but we have teenybopper school girls running around in uniforms with 4-inch skirts. In England. In the 1920s. Go figure.

And yes, I realize this manga is a spinoff to the original work. But it still grates my nerves to see this bastardization of the original wonderful material of the Dantalian no Shoka Light Novel Series for the sake of inserting pathetic, childish, ecchi fanservice into a medium or story that is supposed to remain serious and at least representative of the time being portrayed. I guess the bulk of my irritation comes from the fact that I am a fan of the original source material, and can only hope the anime does it justice. But enough about that. Perhaps others disagree and find this spinoff enjoyable. Who knows?

Thanks again for clearing that up. Does anyone here agree with myao's assessment that it's an imaginary scene on page 105? I have no reason not to agree myself, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion if one is willing.

Last request. Promise. Then I'll leave you to your work.

Thanks again.

I should note that the manga in question here is Dantalian no Shoka: Dalian Days. Not the other manga adaptation that's "supposedly" closer to the novels.
 
Last edited:

Joefish

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
27
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Just read p. 105&106 but agree with myao.
The girl also says sth about writing 50 page short story (if SS means short story) while in class. (as myao already wrote)
Furthermore, 105 looks all flashy and blurry to me what is in most cases a indicator for a hallucination/dream/...
 

oldmanpoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Just read p. 105&106 but agree with myao.
The girl also says sth about writing 50 page short story (if SS means short story) while in class. (as myao already wrote)
Furthermore, 105 looks all flashy and blurry to me what is in most cases a indicator for a hallucination/dream/...
Not to mention Dalian never accepted the skirt that pigtails girl tried to give her in the first place, and before the scene on page 105 pigtails girl had already taken the skirt back. I doubt Dalian had a spare one laying around. Then one or two pages later that same day Dalian was in the school library wearing her usual uniform with the goth skirt. Am I missing anything by chance?

At any rate, thanks for the second opinion. I tried to read the pages myself but had a heck of a time. The stuff I figured out through context and continuity led me to ask here for verification of what I assumed was the probable case already listed up there.




Just found out about the thanking system. Will give it a go.
 
Last edited:

sasiko

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Ancient japanese

if that is the translation im completely lost what that means. I asked the proofreader neither they could get head or tails what that sentence meant, could you possibly clarify htis?
thanks
bump
 

serizawa

ならぬことはならぬ
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2008
Messages
72
Reaction score
80
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: Ancient japanese

if that is the translation im completely lost what that means. I asked the proofreader neither they could get head or tails what that sentence meant, could you possibly clarify htis?
thanks
it means something like "he will lose himself in the pleasures of the flesh". :)
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

ケータイを無線状態にして聴いてくれ

I think the part I'm having the most difficulty with is 無線状態 (musen joutai). I gather it means "radio connection" but in this context, I'm stumped. Help would be greatly appreciated.
 

serizawa

ならぬことはならぬ
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2008
Messages
72
Reaction score
80
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Can't say for sure, but perhaps it may mean one of the following:
1) find a place where the connection is working (that is, a place where you can actually use the cellphone);
2) use the phone as a walkie-talkie.
I have no idea about the context, so you'll have to see which fits better.
Hope this helps...
 

mote

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
139
Reaction score
114
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I didn't think this deserved a thread:


ちょっぴりよ。。。う?。。。ゆ?。。。マグロ?。。。????

I have no idea. It's part of a flashback collage, so there's no context. Any help would be appreciated!
 

Goral

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
1,665
Reaction score
1,994
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

If possible I would like to request for translation of the graph here: http://i.imgur.com/yjDhM.png
What's in the box above the graph and what's on a y-coordinate would suffice (or at least y-coordinate please). Thanks in advance.
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

How to look at the chart: The scale of each line indicates the average extent of release of spirit power required for each technique. Release needed to increase the power isn't included.
Y axis top to bottom: High // Necessity of controlling spirit power // Low
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I didn't think this deserved a thread:
ちょっぴりよ。。。う?。。。ゆ?。。。マグロ?。。。????

I have no idea. It's part of a flashback collage, so there's no context. Any help would be appreciated!

​
わさびしょうゆ <---(I would normally say わさびじょうゆ but I don't see 2 dots/daiuten.)
マグロと
いちご大福
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I'd really appreciate some help with this one:

まるで布キレだ。。。そんなんじゃー止まったハエも殺せねえってな。。。!!

The best I could find was "布キレ" means cloth/a piece of cloth/veil, and "ハエ" is a fly/mob. I'm guessing there's some slang here that I'm not picking up on, or something... For context (in case that will help at all), it's essentially a battle scene, and the antagonist was just goading the protagonist for only dodging attacks.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I'd really appreciate some help with this one:

まるで布キレだ。。。そんなんじゃー止まったハエも殺せねえってな。。。!!

The best I could find was "布キレ" means cloth/a piece of cloth/veil, and "ハエ" is a fly/mob. I'm guessing there's some slang here that I'm not picking up on, or something... For context (in case that will help at all), it's essentially a battle scene, and the antagonist was just goading the protagonist for only dodging attacks.
I would translate it literally.

布キレ=a piece of cloth
まるで布キレだ。。。 It's just like a piece of cloth ...
そんなんじゃー=そのようなものでは/そんな布キレでは
止まったハエも: even a fly (which got on)---> ハエ(a fly) probably means a weak/low level enemy (someone who does not have much power; annoyance ) here, but I would translate it literally.
殺せねえってな = 殺せない
 
Top