Help Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for

elebe11y

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Help manga postcard survey quetionnaire to translate.

For part of my school project I will need to see the contents of some japanese manga postcard survey/ questionnaire to answer one of my project questions. I think I have found one on http://saiunkoku.livejournal.com/353687.html about 3/5 of the way done the link. What does it say?
 

Tanne

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
Need Some Help With an Artist's Website

This artist named Kanao has a website I very much would like to visit:

But I can't get it to work. You're supposed to put in a username and password to enter, but I can't figure out the clues the website gives for what they are (press Ctrl + A to see the clues at the bottom of the website)

ユーザ名→男×男を表す数字3文字

パスワード→ナマモノ同人を表すアルファベット小文字で3文字

I thought it would be "yaoi" and "kanao", but that didn't work. I contacted Kanao, but she won't answer. Can you figure it out?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Need Some Help With an Artist's Website

ユーザ名→男×男を表す数字3文字

パスワード→ナマモノ同人を表すアルファベット小文字で3文字

I thought it would be "yaoi" and "kanao", but that didn't work. I contacted Kanao, but she won't answer. Can you figure it out?
1. Yaoi in 3 numeric numbers
2. ナマモノ同人 in 3 lower-cased alphabets
Since the site owner has not replied to you, I will stop here. Good luck.
 

Tanne

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
Re: Need Some Help With an Artist's Website

Yeah, that didn't help me one bit.
 

NNescio

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 16, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Need Some Help With an Artist's Website

Yeah, that didn't help me one bit.
Try "801" and "rps".

"801" is slang for "Boy x Boy", and "rps" stands for "Real Person Slash".

...Don't ask me how I knew that.

I'd really appreciate some help with this one:

まるで布キレだ。。。そんなんじゃー止まったハエも殺せころせってねえってな。。。!!

The best I could find was "布キレ" means cloth/a piece of cloth/veil, and "ハエ" is a fly/mob. I'm guessing there's some slang here that I'm not picking up on, or something... For context (in case that will help at all), it's essentially a battle scene, and the antagonist was just goading the protagonist for only dodging attacks.
Lit: "You're just like a scrap of cloth... There's no way you can even kill a fly (that lands on you) that way!!"

Modify it slightly like this:

"You're just like a scrap of cloth... There's no way you can even kill a fly that way, even if it lands on you!!"

For part of my school project I will need to see the contents of some japanese manga postcard survey/ questionnaire to answer one of my project questions. I think I have found one on http://saiunkoku.livejournal.com/353687.html about 3/5 of the way done the link. What does it say?
It's a generic product feedback form.
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Need Some Help With an Artist's Website

Yeah, that didn't help me one bit.
In order to find your own answer, please read over the PM you have received carefully along with my previous post. :amuse
 
Last edited:

Weyu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hello,

I came across the grammar "きっちまって". Doesn't seem to be very common since Google only gives like 10k results for it, but I couldn't find a concise explanation on how it modifies a verb exactly. I just noticed that it usually comes at the end of a masu-stem.

The verb in question is 取り憑く, being haunted. 取り憑かれきっちまって = ??

Thanks in advance!
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hello,

I came across the grammar "きっちまって". Doesn't seem to be very common since Google only gives like 10k results for it, but I couldn't find a concise explanation on how it modifies a verb exactly. I just noticed that it usually comes at the end of a masu-stem.

The verb in question is 取り憑く, being haunted. 取り憑かれきっちまって = ??

Thanks in advance!

きちまって means きてしまって / 来てしまって

くる+しまって=きてしまって
くる+ちまって=きちまって

きっちまって means きってしまって
きる+ちまって=きっちまって
きる+しまって=きってしまって

Standard:
A)取り憑く+しまう=取り憑いてしまう
B)取り憑かれる+しまう=取り憑かれてしまう
C)取り憑かれる+しまって=取り憑かれてしまって

Words in discussion:
a)取り憑く+ちまう=取り憑いちまう <--- 取り憑く means haunt
b)取り憑かれる+ちまう=取り憑かれちまう <--- (being haunted)
c)取り憑かれる+ちまって=取り憑かれちまって <--- This is what you are looking for. (being haunted)
 
Last edited:

Weyu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Thank you again, Mikkih. :)
I'm really learning a lot from you, and I see you're posting and helping people all over the place, that's really commendable.

I guess this is one of those things that give another nuance to an expression in Japanese, but aren't really conveyed in English.
That's one of the things I like about Japanese, there are just so many more ways to add extra information or emotion in a sentence that you can't do in English.
 

elebe11y

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Translate Japanese Shonen Jump Questionnaire

Can someone translate this?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/101/img007rz.jpg/
As soon as possible; I'm doing a project about manga.
I was reading bakuman and saw a manga questionnaire, unfortunately it was only one side of the questionnaire. I just saw that there was a manga questionnaire in a japanese shonen jump I had from my friend who went to japan. I saw that there was a second side to it.

The part of my project I needed this was to answer:
How might manga questionnaires be changed so that it produces an overall ranking that gives greatest fairness to all genre types? Does anyone have any opinion or info?
 

Kettuk

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Estonia
Re: What would you guys recommend?

I got stuck on this thought, I just can't ... bite through it

私は小さいころからそのヒトたちが見えていました。 
一度痛い目みてから 
ヘタに関わっちゃいけないヒトたちだと

わかっていたのですが....

The red part is the confusing part.

Is it something like : I realised that when something tragic happens those little "people" seemed to be involved

Can someone help me?
Please?
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: What would you guys recommend?

I got stuck on this thought, I just can't ... bite through it

私は小さいころからそのヒトたちが見えていました。 
一度痛い目みてから 
ヘタに関わっちゃいけないヒトたちだと

わかっていたのですが....

The red part is the confusing part.

Is it something like : I realised that when something tragic happens those little "people" seemed to be involved
私は小さいころから - Since I was young(er),
そのヒトたちが見えていました。 - I was able to see those people.

一度痛い目みてから - Since I had a bad experience once, / Having had a bad experience once,
わかっていたのですが... - I knew that *~, but...
ヘタに関わっちゃいけないヒトたちだと - (change tense) *they are the type of people who I shouldn't get involved without much thought/ I shouldn't get involved with them carelessly
 

Kettuk

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Estonia
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

thank you mikkih ... argh ..... it was a little different from what I had guessed~~~~
 

ronkun100p

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand
I want to know the end of Street Fighter III : Ryu Final. Please Translate For me T_T.

It lost from my book and this is rare manga in my country.
Please translate for me. I want to know what them say.



Thank you very much.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I will try to make this long story short, basically there is this edition of Video Girl Ai published by Monthly Comic Tokumori in wikipedia it says they publish Kanzenban magazines, and the Kanzenban magazines I have seen like the NARUTO Uzumaki Daikan or ONE PIECE LOGs have color pages, so I just followed Monthly Comic Tokumori on twitter and want to ask them if that particular edition of Video Girl Ai has the color pages that were on its Weekly Shonen Jump run, how can I ask them?
"Hi, I want to ask if the Video Girl Ai and Ginga Nagareboshi Gin editions published by Monthly Comic Tokumori have the color pages from their Weekly Shonen Jump serialization?" something like that but translated, please :)

OR here is an image of the cover of the first volume, does it say anything like color pages included?
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

OR here is an image of the cover of the first volume, does it say anything like color pages included?
This volume comes with a poster (ピンナップ) which is usually folded. (No other colored-page related information is available on the cover.)
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Need some help with a line that doesn't seem to make much logical sense to me. A girl full of piercings and with a wound comes to a store that sells all that piercing stuff, and when questioned about the injury says: ケガを見せに来たわけじゃないわ ピアスが壊れたのよ 早く開けてくれない? I know that ピアスを開ける means to make a piercing, but does it make sense to say "My piercing broke, can you pierce me?" Or is she saying something like "My earring broke [e.g. got stuck], can you open it for me?"
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Need some help with a line that doesn't seem to make much logical sense to me. A girl full of piercings and with a wound comes to a store that sells all that piercing stuff, and when questioned about the injury says: ケガを見せに来たわけじゃないわ ピアスが壊れたのよ 早く開けてくれない? I know that ピアスを開ける means to make a piercing, but does it make sense to say "My piercing broke, can you pierce me?" Or is she saying something like "My earring broke [e.g. got stuck], can you open it for me?"
I didn't come here to show you my wound. It's just that my (ear) piercings are broken. Can you hurry up and open your shop/the display box/or whatever to open? Would this fit in the context?
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Yes it does, thank you very much!
Glad to hear that it worked. It could also be a/the door. (Can you hurry up and open the door?)
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Well, I'm reading through a bleach raw at a snails pace because of all the unusual ways of writing japanese they use, so I'll probably find a better raw to learn japanese with. Before I drop it, there is one page that I keep gleaning a basic meaning, but cannot accurately translate it into english.
It's the first "proverb" sheet that many translations seem to think it means "Because we are amorphous, fear us."

My translation:
我等は姿無きが故にそれを畏れ。
(We(About)figure none)therefore it(object) fear
We lack a shape, so fear us.

I keep thinking that perhaps 姿無 means invisible, or no visible shape, which I think would make it turn into:
"We fear what we cannot see", which is almost alike to a western proverb, "We fear what we don't understand."

Anyways, I will be searching for a better manga raw to start with than bleach, but I'd at least like to know what that actually translates into. And please understand that I am attempting to translate the meaning into english, not the words.

btw, I always lol at the fact that the chapter should be called "Ichigo and the Reaper", or, "The Shinigami and the Strawberry" if he meant to translate Ichigo's name into it's english meaning.
A lot of mangas make me wonder if they just google translated it into english and then used it as the "cool" words from a different language (much like us north americans do).
 
Last edited:
Top