Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Watched Tower Heist and The Thee Musketeers recently. Both were average. I cannot see I was entertained thoroughly.
 

Aazholh

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I saw Drive and it was pretty damn cool. It's kind of slow-paced and needed more chase scenes, but it was a great movie nonetheless.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Oh crap, I forgot to post here after seeing Drive. Anyways, because I'm lazy here's some quotes from my thread of a convo with thorn about it.

It was not what I expected. I thought it would be another on of those senseless action-packed movies. Yet, it was way better. I enjoyed Ryan Gosling's distant, calm and motionless character in the beginning. Then, he started to show more emotions - more like fluctuations in his personality. The pace of the story was decent as well.
:zomg

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Yeah, I guess people who know nothing about it were expecting The Fast and The Furious or something :rofl ...there's a reason why it was an Indie film and won best director at the Cannes Film Festival. Beautifully shot, amazing soundtrack. Gosling had so few lines in the movie, but it goes unnoticed, a lot like Steve McQueen. You could see the transformation of him from an almost catatonic person, into a man bubbling with bellicosity, but even then he was so calm throughout. A truly unique performance. It felt like a Western, even the way he moved reminded me of a gunslinger in a Western movie. Not sure I've ever seen a balance between serenity and gore like that...warmness and rage the way Gosling was. Albert Brooks was great in it too, I've never seen him play a villain. It's an action movie that isn't an action movie :cookiehand
Oh my god, through out the movies I was trying to remember Steve McQueen. Somehow, I couldn't recall his name. You are also 110% about the Western impression. I was like :wtf how calmly he went to the restaurant in the end, even knowing what lies ahead of him. It was indeed a great performance.
I was stunned when Albert killed that guy in his place
. It was a surprise transformation just like Gosling.

You are gonna try The Ides of March . The name came up many times like Drive but I ignored it. After seeing Drive, I am going to watch this one too.
Yeah, I had wanted to see that too. Definitely looks interesting :nod
So yeah, nothing really to add, other than I need to see Ides of March as well :thumbs
 

Aazholh

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just watched Hanna. I was thinking it was going to be another stereotypical "chick with above normal fighting skills" movie, but the story was better. I think it made compelling that Hanna is young and a fish out of water while exploring her surroundings. It's not just an action movie, it's about Hanna's experiences on her journey. There are some plot elements that I didn't care for though,
like her father's idea to let her be captured so she can kill the main antagonist. He should have known that any innocent people she interacted with would be killed. Why didn't they just assume different identities in another country?
 

Antiheld

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
15
Reaction score
7
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Yesterday I watched Slumdog Millionaire the first time.
It's a pretty good film, I especially love the music in it. The movie derserved his oscars but it's not one of my favorite films :)
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I think it was deserving, but it had its flaws. It just got dragged a bit.

But Three Idiots, OMG that movie dragged MUCH.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Last 2 weeks I've seen The Grey, The Woman in Black, Chronicles and Man on a Ledge. They were all movies I enjoyed, but the best would have to be Chronicles; really loved the story development and action sequences in it. Man on a Ledge was very predictable from the get go but it was still a good watch and in the end I was surprised how much I liked it. Nothing in the film hadn't been done before, just bits of recycled movies but well put together.

The Woman in Black was quite jumpy throughout and despite my hatred of Daniel Radcliffe(:bored), it proved to be a solid film and the ending was very enjoyable for me. The Grey....well just two words; Liam Neeson :hip The movie, because of it's setting almost seems like a documentary to me which made it stand out, plus the characters and their little background stories are very well put together and the wolves! :zomg It's a must see for any movie fans; that and Chronicles.
 

Aazholh

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would like to recommend Rustler's Rhapsody to anyone who enjoys westerns and comedies. It is kind of an obscure film and not too many know about it. But it is hilarious. The idea: what if a 50's style painted cowboy was put into a modern western? The laws of movie physics seem to apply only to Rex; like the bad guys' bullets never hit him and he always hits what he aims at.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I watched Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin. I find The Adventures of Tintin decent but that is all. On the other hand, Hugo was a real nice movie. Great cinematography. Really touching plot, with Ben Kingsley & Sacha Baron Cohen, you can expect some entertaining moments.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The Grey....well just two words; Liam Neeson :hip The movie, because of it's setting almost seems like a documentary to me which made it stand out, plus the characters and their little background stories are very well put together and the wolves! :zomg It's a must see for any movie fans; that and Chronicles.
I totally agree... Best man vs nature struggle/film which has been served for a while. If you expect a lot of action, fights, etc then I advise you not watching it.

I couldn't describe it better than goldb. The psychological, introspective survival in this movie is really great. The setting was nice and the story is kept quite easy and solid because this kind of concept doesn't need an overflow of meaningless story writing. Love the movie too
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Watched Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. And I lasted 20 minutes. I got bored. >.>
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anybody else looking forward to John Carter? It'll probably be the first movie I'll go watch on opening night since Revenge of the Sith. I enjoyed the Princess of Mars book it's based on, so I might be a little biased :p. First, I am hoping it is as good as the previews make it look, and second, if it is good, I hope it does well enough so we can get more of the Barsoom series made into a movie.

On a somewhat related note, I finally saw Avatar. I'm a little pissed because I bet the movie looked amazing on an IMAX-3D screen (I'm fortunate enough to have one near me), but on a regular HD-TV, the glitz wasn't as impressive, and I found the movie to be rather boring.
 

Aazholh

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anybody else looking forward to John Carter? It'll probably be the first movie I'll go watch on opening night since Revenge of the Sith. I enjoyed the Princess of Mars book it's based on, so I might be a little biased :p. First, I am hoping it is as good as the previews make it look, and second, if it is good, I hope it does well enough so we can get more of the Barsoom series made into a movie.

On a somewhat related note, I finally saw Avatar. I'm a little pissed because I bet the movie looked amazing on an IMAX-3D screen (I'm fortunate enough to have one near me), but on a regular HD-TV, the glitz wasn't as impressive, and I found the movie to be rather boring.
Yeah, I'm planning on seeing John Carter this friday. I've heard good things about it. I'm thinking that the movie should have been named 'John Carter of Mars' though. As it is, the name 'John Carter' by itself is kind of bland.
 

Masa Kaneda

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
35
Reaction score
17
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
you'd find Avatar quite boring if you watched Princess Mononoke, Fern Gully, or Pocahontas.
When I watched Avatar first time I didn't like it. Because its obvious theme about "save trees" kind of shits bored me a lot. But I found Avatar quite entertaining in terms of action sequence and visual quality. I love the epic battle sequence in the last 30 minutes. And Avatar blu-ray is perfect tool for checking your Blu-ray player/HDTV's full performance.
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
They shouldn't have shown every single action scene in the trailer of John Carter, the ratings don't shine as well. Will wait for a BD release and use the time to read the original.
Stanton has built a fantastic world, but the action is unmemorable. Still, just about every sci-fi/fantasy/superhero adventure you ever loved is in here somewhere.
 

Aazholh

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They shouldn't have shown every single action scene in the trailer of John Carter, the ratings don't shine as well. Will wait for a BD release and use the time to read the original.
Stanton has built a fantastic world, but the action is unmemorable. Still, just about every sci-fi/fantasy/superhero adventure you ever loved is in here somewhere.
Thought as much. Typical march blockbuster, but I'll still see it with reasonable expectations.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
John Carter is an entertaining movie and it really explains where star wars and avatar were inspired on

Loved it
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
John Carter is an entertaining movie and it really explains where star wars and avatar were inspired on

Loved it
That's the first good thing I've heard about it to be honest :blink
 

Totilas

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
19
Reaction score
13
Gender
Female
Country
Denmark
John Carter is an entertaining movie and it really explains where star wars and avatar were inspired on

Loved it
Haha, I absolutely hated it, had to force myself to stay in the cinema :)

The Woman in Black was quite jumpy throughout and despite my hatred of Daniel Radcliffe(:bored), it proved to be a solid film and the ending was very enjoyable for me. .
I can't help feeling sceptical about this movie. The original movie (from 1989) is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I was really disappointed when I saw the trailer for the new one. The atmosphere in the old english movie is just plain creepy!! I will probably see the new movie one day, but I got a feeling I will be disappointed though..


And I know I'm a bit late on this, -but recently saw Drive, and what a masterpiece in my oppinion. I do enjoy most of Winding Refn's movies, but this one is the best I think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top