Seinen Vagabond by Inoue Takehiko

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Excellent Mangastream Excellent! I am glad they are back with such an iconic series. Their epic cleaning will go well with Vagabond's art! As epic as ever, Vagabond IS the most mature manga ever!

Marathon this manga in one day all I could say the art is the best the battle is the best!... All of the people rate this as one of the best is not lying a must read manga!... Glad to read it when it is back hope that the final arc will be finish and no hiatus anymore ^^...
Welcome aboard, it does have that appeal right? I mean it is complex, but it leaves you wanting more. It is monthly now, hope it keeps going well. :)
 

natli

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2006
Messages
847
Reaction score
290
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
Vagabond is back yaaaaaaaaaay xD

I loved the artwork and the quality of scans and translation <3
But the atmosphere and narration style changed a bit. Musashi is different, and I'm not sure if I like the changes, but I'll hold my judgement for now :3
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Musashi seems more world weary than he did in previous chapters. He has to change though, in order to become the Musashi of legend he has outgrow the demon of the earlier chapters. Before he can fight Koujiro, Musashi needs to be at peace with himself.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
he seems to have achieved that, no?

re: art, the first page is very distinctively Vagabond, as Inoue was always fond of using brushes and watercolor like that. For the next few pages I felt the lines got thicker, is all.

but can you all see the Musashi face close-up spread??? Beautiful :scry
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
he seems to have achieved that, no?
Not yet, as Kaiten stated above he seems to have realised that there's something that's just as important to him as the sword....Otsu.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
he seems to have achieved that, no?

re: art, the first page is very distinctively Vagabond, as Inoue was always fond of using brushes and watercolor like that. For the next few pages I felt the lines got thicker, is all.

but can you all see the Musashi face close-up spread??? Beautiful :scry
He is certainly closer and seems to be seeking something deeper than strongest beneath the sun, but he does not seem to have reached that point yet. He may have even regressed a bit. At the beginning of the chapter he seemed to intent on testing his own strength once again, like before the war with the Yoshioka.

Not yet, as Kaiten stated above he seems to have realised that there's something that's just as important to him as the sword....Otsu.
I think that is the first important breakthrough, he needed a higher ideal to fight for. He is not yet like old man Yagyuu, he still does not have the confidence to inspire fear without even raising his sword. Musashi has defined himself by the sword for so long he has nothing else to derive confidence from.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
he seems to have achieved that, no?

re: art, the first page is very distinctively Vagabond, as Inoue was always fond of using brushes and watercolor like that. For the next few pages I felt the lines got thicker, is all.

but can you all see the Musashi face close-up spread??? Beautiful :scry
The guy already is redefining manga art form the whole black pens and stuff, so it is expected of him. Brushes might be the thing more mangaka turn to, he is such an awesome experimental artist.

Yeah, really realistic, the beard, the scars, the bruises, gah it is just so captivating that all you can do is stare!
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
The guy already is redefining manga art form the whole black pens and stuff, so it is expected of him. Brushes might be the thing more mangaka turn to, he is such an awesome experimental artist.

Yeah, really realistic, the beard, the scars, the bruises, gah it is just so captivating that all you can do is stare!
The new chapter's art seems more "wild" compared to his previous drawings, and I like that. I never thought that Musashi and his dark aura would blend superbly if it's drawn by brush.

Any information when chapter 302 will be released?
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The new chapter's art seems more "wild" compared to his previous drawings, and I like that. I never thought that Musashi and his dark aura would blend superbly if it's drawn by brush.

Any information when chapter 302 will be released?
There probably will be differences in the art, but I think it may also be because of the scan quality that has improved over the years, it is more clean and detailed, with pages being bigger and such.

The new releases as of the last chapter are monthly.
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Hmmm... I quite enjoyed this chapter though nothing much happened concerning the plot. This just made me smile, seeing how changed Musashi was for the better. And that Iori kid is adorable, I wonder if he's gonna be in the story longer.

Was that new logo really written in alphabet? Or was it MS' edit?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Remember: wrap chapter 302 discussion in spoilers for 24 hours. Spoiler tags are no longer necessary Monday morning

In real life Iori was Musashi's second adopted son. His introduction is very important, as he will provide the stability and security Musashi has been seeking. That is what was meant by "a blade of pain found shelter and became power". In Japan, where Musashi is a national icon, it would be assumed that the audience would instantly recognize Iori, the reason Inoue did not go into much detail. In reality Musashi adopts Iori ten years after he fights Kojiro.
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
It's so good to have some regularity back on the releases... I just hope that Inoue keep it going until the end
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hopefully that end will not come for a long time. I hope he at least shows the first Gonnosuke fight, if not the second, before Musashi fights Kojiro.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
So shortening the original story in order to finish the manga? Well, I can not say that it will kind of be a loss if drastic cuts are made, but it can not be helped it has slow pace with it being monthly now. But I think even monthly series step up, depends on the pages, some go around 30, some go over 50 and manage to pull off a full concept story.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I have not read the original book, I am not sure if the story has been shortened or not. The order it happened in real life is different, that is all. The same is likely done in the book as well, which is a fictionalized account of his life.
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Yeah, at least one Gonnosuke fight would be the ideal, since he did introduce the character. But at this point I just want a flow in the series, even if it means an early finish. All the hiatus hurts the work(and more importantly, it piss me off! haha), what is shame since it's a great manga.
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Actually, I think Inoue's hiatuses are one of the most just hiatuses I've seen in the manga industry. The man writes and draws with all his best. Whenever he loses his mojo and somehow gets frustrated, he stops and rest until he could find the motivation in working again instead of continuing to write but suck at it (which most authors do). And he admitted it's a lot harder to work on Vagabond compared to REAL since it's easier to get inspiration from the streets of Japan (unless he could time travel back in the Edo period). The shifting to monthly could work well for him, since it's less likely for him to get burned again so fast and it will give him less pressure on deadlines and all.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Man, I'm wondering if I were in Iori's shoes (slippers?) waking up to witness a sword exercise on the water performed by THE Musashi. awesome... :gwah
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Just wait, he is not even the legendary Musashi yet, still little more than a feared ronin. At some point he will be retained as a samurai and prove himself on the battlefield.

I almost feel like Musashi is more excited to find Iori than Iori is to find him. Musashi still has not referred to himself as Musashi, but as Takezou. Iori holding onto the tree, crying for his father was such a moving scene. I am glad he found Musashi and glad Musashi found a family, something to care for other than the sword.
 
Top