Help Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for

Dancing wind

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
53
Reaction score
12
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

This sentence has been driving me nuts:

やーやー我こそはドコドコ山の法師なりーっつってな

Context-wise, the speaker (an onmyoji) and his companions are heading up a mountain, and have suddenly been surrounded by people they think are Shugensha. In the bubble just before this line, it's clear that he's speaking to his companion, but I really can't tell who he's speaking to here, or what he's trying to say... "orz Help is much appreciated!
If they are 修験者 しゅげんじゃ (mountaineering ascetics), then my guess is something like "Well, well, so you must be the Buddhist priests of this mountain."
 
Last edited:

noutenki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
26
Reaction score
22
Gender
Hidden
Country
Wallis & Futuna
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

っつって means と言って, so either he or somebody else has said the 我こそはドコドコ山の法師なりー part before.

なり would be です in modern Japanese.

我こそ means "I", with the nuance that he thinks he is most suitable for a certain task.

So the complete sentence would be something like:

Listen, didn't I already tell you that I am the priest of such-and-such mountain!?

(Dictionary says 法師 means "monk", but I think the non-literal translation has a nicer ring to it. Depends on the rest of the story...)
 
Last edited:

OS.Hoshi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
26
Gender
Female
Country
Guatemala
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hope this is short enough for this thread! D:
A character is giving us info on someone new.

田茄子第三中学二年
3rd Tanasu Junior High, Second Year (?)
といっても 学校に通っているのは年に二度程度
(is it saying that he's only attended his current school twice in the year?)
原因はありふれた以前の学校の同級生によるイジメ
Bullying was a common occurrence in his previous school.
だがここからが少しひどい
(So he's become a little cruel??)

Help much appreciated! :3
 

noutenki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
26
Reaction score
22
Gender
Hidden
Country
Wallis & Futuna
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

といっても negates the previous sentence or puts it into perspective
二度程度 means "in the range of two times"
原因 means reason, 同級生 are classmates, both are missing from your t/l: his classmates where bullying him, so he didn't come to school often
Last sentence is a bit difficult without more context


Officially, he's a 2nd year student at Tanasu 3rd Junior High. He's only coming to school about twice a year, though, because his classmates in his previous school used to bully him a lot. But since he came here, it's gotten even worse.
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

* 田茄子第三中学 Tanasu Dai-san Junior High School (You could change Dai-san to 3rd, but many Japanese schools don't seem to translate that #-part when they write their names in English.)
* 2年=2nd year, or 8th grade
* You could say, I'm in the 2nd year at [school name]

といっても 学校に通っているのは年に二度程度
(is it saying that he's only attended his current school twice in the year?) ---> YES

原因はありふれた以前の学校の同級生によるイジメ
Bullying was a common occurrence in his previous school.
-----> You need to translate "原因は" :The reason (for my lack of attendance at school) was ... , It's because of the bullying which was a common .....

だがここからが少しひどい
(So he's become a little cruel??)
---> Things/My story gets worse (from here/there). -or something

edit:
*といっても: "but" works fine here.
 
Last edited:

OS.Hoshi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Messages
1,011
Reaction score
26
Gender
Female
Country
Guatemala
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

^oooh, things make a lot more sense now XD That last sentence really had me confused. Thanks so much, guys!!
 

Sengoku

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

does anyone here know how to play the japanese version of the board game game of life "jinsei game", or could help me out?

i scanned the instruction booklet:

http://i41.tinypic.com/qow081.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/35jft05.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2irn0pj.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/uvhc5.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/5e5wmv.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/abm88k.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/3532fll.jpg

if anyone could help me scanlate or rather translate, or just summarize what's up there for me, i would greatly appreciate it. watching jinsei game being played in nisemonogatari inspired me to go out and buy it, but now i don't know how to play ^^
 

KanjiKanji

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
8
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I began translating your instruction booklet, but I wondered if you could just use the instructions for the English version? I don't know how different the two versions are.

here are the instructions for the English version:
http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/life.pdf
 

Sengoku

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Yes, I also have the English version at home. Unfortunately, the two are VERY different. For starters, the Japanese version starts from birth, while the English version starts from college. And in general, all the other little rules are completely different.

Thank you so much for helping me out though! I know that translating can be really time consuming, so if you have a PayPal account, I'd love to make a little donation to make your time more worthwhile!
 

KanjiKanji

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
8
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Finished the first page, which explains basic gameplay. Very rough, just fyi. I remember playing this game with my family when I was a kid.

Hopefully you can download from Scribd:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/82397821/jinsei-translation1

Will try to do the rest if I have time! I'm looking for a job since I'm graduating soon so I don't have a lot of time
 

You Say

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
240
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hi there. I was going through kanzenban scans of Kiseijuu by Iwaaki and while comparing them to the scanlated version by Manga-Otakus I noticed that one page was missing in their Edited Manga. I searched for it like a madman but I couldn't find it anywhere. So I'm begging You, good people who speaks Japanese, help me and translate this one page for me...

Volume 1, chapter 2, page 77:

Thank you in advance.
 

Yxt

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I still need some help translating this sentence.

ほどのウデの持ち主でしたよ

Why is there written katakana in the sentence and what does the sentence mean?
Can somebody help ?
 
Last edited:

lng0004

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Hello, me again. Really need help translating this bubble.

Thanks :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

Tousenjutsu "Nentai"!!

Not real words, so nothing to translate here.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

You probably don't need to translate anything as cmertb mentioned, but in case you want to know what it means:

Tousenjutsu: Battle/Combat Sage Techniques
Nentai: Aura power (or some sort...)
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

ほどのウデの持ち主でしたよ

Why is there written katakana in the sentence and what does the sentence mean?
Can somebody help ?
"hodo-no ude-no [mu]chi[meshi] deshita yo."
By the looks of it, ウデ, which matches the noun for 'arm', or 'skill', is written in katakana for emphasis.
The translation would be as follows:
Lit: (it/person) Maximimum('s) skill('s) owner was (explanatory particle).
(he/she/it) was the owner of the (highest skill level/highest amount of skill.)

EDIT:
I'm not quite content with that translation though, because it seems to have the nuance of 'ウデ' being sarcastic, and ほど can mean the approx amount or limit.
Actually, by the looks of it, it means "(it/he/she) was the owner of that much skill.", with the よ giving an emphasis to the fact that 'that much skill' has probably just been shown to the reader/asked about.
hopefully that helps, but I am only just beginning to develop vocabulary and nuances in japanese. I have only mastered the basics.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: Yxt

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

I still need some help translating this sentence.

ほどのウデの持ち主でしたよ

Why is there written katakana in the sentence and what does the sentence mean?
Can somebody help ?

You need to the text before ほど(=as much as) to translate properly. It's not a complete sentence. ウデ: skills (not arm): There is no big reason for using katakana, but probably katakana was used just to differentiate skills from arms (腕). Writing in Kanji does not make any difference.

For example: Aほどのウデの持ち主でしたよ / A=a name of other character

Exceptions:
If the manga has images of 2 guys comparing their arm sizes, you could translate "ウデ" as "arms" or "arms+being skillful."
 
Last edited:

usopsama

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 11, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread


Can someone translate this for me? Thank you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread



Can someone translate this for me? Thank you!
Welcome back, Makura... (or pillow if there's no character called makura)
----A new development starts next issue!! At school, Keisuke will...!?
 

natural-log

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
66
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread

悲しい思いをしてまで生きるなんて
なんて不毛なんだ
I'm not really sure about the "悲しい思いをして" part.

Is it "creating sadness", "carrying sadness" or something entirely different?
 
Last edited:
Top