Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,623
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Assasin Classroom is up on Mangateers.

Looks good too, though quite different from what I was imagining. I could translate it as early as this afternoon, but again that's only if no one else is going to do it. I really, really, really, don't want to start working on this thing and then go on Batoto to find it there already.

Matsui's back though, and he's looking good.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Assassination Classroom looks like a nice, enjoyable little mindfuck. I'm looking forward to knowing what the words mean.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Assassination Classroom looks like a nice, enjoyable little mindfuck. I'm looking forward to knowing what the words mean.
I read it too. I can't wait for it to be translated, I think this will be enjoyable manga.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,623
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Assassination Classroom looks like a nice, enjoyable little mindfuck. I'm looking forward to knowing what the words mean.
lol. I could give a synopsis? As I said before it's really quite different than I think we were all expecting. Though I only really read about the first 25 pages or so. (I'm still at my 9 to 5.) I'm getting off in about 1 hour though, and then this translation will be on the tip of my tounge.
 

crimsonlink310

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
632
Reaction score
208
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Surprised Naruto went down but I guess Kabuto focused chapters brought it down. OP is at the top again, Toriko is not a surprise either. Sket Dance has always been popular I guess, Bulge isn't doing bad for a new series since its in the top 5 not counting colored pages chapters.

Surprised Gintama went low but happy Reborn is doing better. What I'm most unhappy with is of course Beelzebub, Bleach and Kurogane being in the bottom 5. Bleach should start bouncing back next week or the week after since the action chapters start then. I'm not sure about Beelzebub though and I'm worried about Kurogane's fate.

Overall not my favorite TOC but thats TOC for you.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Just as a side note since some have been commenting about PSI Kusou Saiki and Bulge having good TOC placings, Saiki's first ranking is next week since it started at issue 24 and Bulge's first ranking is in issue 33 2 weeks away, I expect at least Bulge to have a good ranking since it's the only new series that I read and I fairly enjoy it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Both should be expected to rank relatively well, at least initially. The editors have seen fit to place both in the top five nearly every week, which while not a clear indication of future success, at least indicates that the editors have received enough positive reader feedback early in the process to feel confident in placing brand new series in the front of the magazine. Should both series have good initial rankings it should come as no surprise to any except the densest of readers and the habitually contrary.
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
actually i think bulge is like any other action fantasy series and i'm disappointed in the mangaka, but i hope he has more luck in the mainstream area as he did with his previous work.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
I half agree with you about it yet the question remains just like every manga which breaks the 25 chapters got a Vomic in the last year and this didn't happen so fast before(Psyren got a Vomic at +-100 yet Kurogane and Enigma got ones at +-30 and although Psyren wasn't at the cream of the crop it certainly did better than those two at every aspect and also one of my favourites so maybe I'm a bit biased here) maybe the editors or the magazine is just desperate to get the next big thing out so they will put newer series at high places indefferent(SP?) to popularity at those 8 weeks just to give them as much exposure as possible but still it seems more plausible to me that you're right in this case.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Psyren got a Vomic at +-100 yet Kurogane and Enigma got ones at +-30 and although Psyren wasn't at the cream of the crop it certainly did better than those two at every aspect and also one of my favourites so maybe I'm a bit biased here
no Psyren definitely wasn't doing better than those two at all aspect.
Enigma was ranking & selling pretty well in the beginning, and I'm quite sure Kurogane ToC placement has been much better than Psyren.

But I think it's also true that recent new series have been more successful than before when very few things managed to stick.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Well Bakuman open a space, nura another. It's normal to something to stick. (also reborn, medaka's fall...)
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
So, Magico will get an final chapter in Jump NEXT? They still have to show the result of character popularity.
Magico's character popularity results were announced this week with the final chapter. I think it's the first time I've ever seen populairty results announced without a colour.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,623
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Geez 16 thanks? I feel like a hero. A shame I have to say that I was informed that a scantlation group has already announced theyd' do the series, and they already have a translator. >_< I already got 20 pages in, and all these thanks were really motivating me to work even faster. Though I hope everyone understands why I don't usually like to translate jump series. It's not a quality issue, it's just they get picked up like certain songs by Snoop dogg. Oh well. Thanks for the thanks, I appreciate it. :) Now what to do with these 20 pages....
 

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
So basically Mago will end in may?
Why in NEXT, a short serialization in Jump SQ or SQ 19 would have been much better.
The series was heading to the end anyway, they could just let it ends naturally on SQ or SQ 19...
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
After reading this week reborn!, it feels like it's entering the final climax... could very well end this year. (damn viz)
 

BianchiChrome

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
220
Reaction score
111
Age
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hello! :amuse

I don't think that it would be within a year that the current arc of Reborn! will come to an end. I mean I feel that Amano at the least will give everyone a worthy fight in the upcoming battle and there are a lot of people who will be fighting. I can see a much bigger threat that might come even after this arc.

I could not agree with you more about VIZ. I mean they should restart the manga and put out the anime. I mean I still see some of Reborn! in book stores. I feel that the anime would make a good release. I know that it would not be a Naruto but I feel it would a nice seller for them.

I am also hoping that Shonen Jump in Japan will want to continue Reborn! as an anime so that we can get to see this current arc and the Simon arc animated. I believe that the Simon arc would work much better animated.

I remain a strong supporter for Reborn!. I hope that some day Reborn! will get to truly shine again.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
So basically Mago will end in may?
Why in NEXT, a short serialization in Jump SQ or SQ 19 would have been much better.
The series was heading to the end anyway, they could just let it ends naturally on SQ or SQ 19...
SQ and SQ.19 carry serialization, something would have to end to make room for a measly three chapters of Mago. Also, I would doubt either magazine wants to be known as the Weekly Jump graveyard, where canceled series are sent to avoid a rushed ending. Jump NEXT exclusively publishes one shots and extras, room could be made for Mago without any additional blow back.

Looks like Magico will also get three chapters in Jump NEXT.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
So basically Mago will end in may?
Why in NEXT, a short serialization in Jump SQ or SQ 19 would have been much better.
The series was heading to the end anyway, they could just let it ends naturally on SQ or SQ 19...
It will end in December (August, October and December issues confirmed).
SQ would only accept it if it intended to continue for longer. However, Gokadoin arc from the beginning was intending to be final and with Hiroshi's pacing, 3 big chapters are more than enough to end it all.

We don't know what the secret project is yet tough. In case it is Hiroshi's new Manga (be it or be it not a spin--off/sequel), it might get serialized in SQ
 

Lomahongva

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
697
Reaction score
795
Gender
Female
Country
Spain
It sounds like the sequel will only be the conclusion of the Aoi Rasen-Jiu Saishuu Kessen (Aoi Spiral Castle's Final Battle) Arc. For whatever reason Shueisha is treating the Jump NEXT chapters as a sequel, akin to 21st Century Boys I suppose. Sasaki even felt the need to specify that the Jump NEXT chapters would be made available in English. It seems to me like a Shaman King situation, rankings could no longer justify serialization, the story was drawing to a close anyway, so they canceled serialization in Jump in favor of serializing the last volume in Jump NEXT.

I think that when compiled the Jump NEXT volume will not be numbered, but simply titled Nurarihyon no Maho: Aoi Rasen-Jiu Saishuu Kessen. Just a guess, but that is what I think they mean when they call it a sequel. It is going to be treated like Shin Prince of Tennis or 21st Century Boys, but since there will only be a single volume, they won't even give it a number. I've never seen a single volume series numbered.
I understand your points for thinking that. But actually, at the point the manga is, the final battle with the final enemy is, in IMHO, the real conclusion to Nurarihyon no Mago manga's plot and, as you said, the end of its final arc, so it should be added to the numbered volumes even if they call them a sequel.

Usually, Mago's volumes have 8/9 chapters. If volumes 22 (July) and 23 (September) are like this, now (whithout the next 3 chapters in Next!), there's only 6 chapters of 20/19 pages left for volume 24 (a volume of only 114 ?). If they add to volume 24 the first chapter of 64 pages + some omakes, it'l fit the 184/192 average number of pages for a tankobon. And then, the other two will be a 128 pages + some omakes (may be something special because it's the last), and it'll fit the 174/184 minimum number of pages I think usually tankobons have.

IMO they call them a sequel because they're going to be published in a not normal serialization magazine. And I can't figure a manga having its main plot end published separately of the normal volumes but I don't know very much about this world.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top