Archived The MangaHelpers Confessional Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Do pro-gun supporters even realize how much they increase the chances of guns falling into the wrong hands? Give everyone a gun, and there will likely be more gun violence and crimes.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Is there any kind of psycological test that gun owners must go trough? Cuse if not making one could be a good idea. You need to take them for driving a car (over here at least) so why not for porting guns?

Some psychos would pass sure but it would narrow down their numbers.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Is there any kind of psycological test that gun owners must go trough? Cuse if not making one could be a good idea. You need to take them for driving a car (over here at least) so why not for porting guns?

Some psychos would pass sure but it would narrow down their numbers.
I'm not sure. But there are laws against those with criminal records from owning them.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Is there any kind of psycological test that gun owners must go trough? Cuse if not making one could be a good idea. You need to take them for driving a car (over here at least) so why not for porting guns?

Some psychos would pass sure but it would narrow down their numbers.
From what I read in the newspapers, it's easy to get a gun. Some journalists have said they got their guns in five to ten minutes. I don't think there's any kind of test needed, if at all. That could be dependent on the stores sellin the gun or the states though. I don't know laws about gun control myself, to be honest.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
From what I read in the newspapers, it's easy to get a gun. Some journalists have said they got their guns in five to ten minutes. I don't think there's any kind of test needed, if at all. That could be dependent on the stores sellin the gun or the states though. I don't know laws about gun control myself, to be honest.
That depends on the type of gun. Which is sort of stupid, but the thinking is that it should be more difficult to acquire one that's more concealable.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
From what I read in the newspapers, it's easy to get a gun. Some journalists have said they got their guns in five to ten minutes. I don't think there's any kind of test needed, if at all. That could be dependent on the stores sellin the gun or the states though. I don't know laws about gun control myself, to be honest.
If you buy a gun from a store they have to run background checks, and enforce a five day waiting period before the gun can be sold. There is a loophole that allows guns to be purchased at gun shows without background checks or any waiting period. I don't know how the internet works though. I know that ammo can be purchased over the internet without a background check, I'm not sure about guns. These loopholes will likely be closed when the next session of Congress convenes after the holiday. Automatic weapon sales also will be banned. Newton has become the tipping point for gun control, much like the Dunblane massacre in the United Kingdom.

Ironically, stricter gun control would not have stopped Adam Lanza. He did not purchase any of the guns, they were all his mothers. The theater shooting in Colorado would likely have been prevented with better gun laws. James Holmes bought all of his ammo over the internet, exploiting that loophole. Had background checks been run, or if purchasing ammo in a large quantity were treated as a red flag, he might have been stopped before killing anyone.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
These stores apparently didn't either run the background checks, or the journalists may have skipped some facts. Either way, the claim is that the guns were bought within five to fifteen minutes.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
These stores apparently didn't either run the background checks, or the journalists may have skipped some facts. Either way, the claim is that the guns were bought within five to fifteen minutes.
Could you post a link to the article or video? I need more details before I can give a better answer. These journalists may not have been at a retail store, they may have bought the guns somewhere not required to run a background check. I'd need access to the story to really know for sure.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I've seen news reports on both cases in the past. Those at gunshows and those that aren't.

Probably offtopic though, oopsies
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
IMO, I don't consider it AS reputable. But unless they're lying, I can't see any way to not believe that.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The Daily News isn't as much of a rag as the New York Post, but it's still reputable. It's no New York Times though.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
NYP got backlash because the person took a picture of the guy pushed onto the tracks instead of pulling him back up out of train's way.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
NYP got backlash because the person took a picture of the guy pushed onto the tracks instead of pulling him back up out of train's way.
That was fucked up, but it has a reputation other than this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-rifle-day-newtown-massacre-article-1.1223241

This, amongst others, but I can't find those. This was in the today's paper.
That was a terrible article, devoid of almost any relevant information. Everyone knows that there are prominent loopholes in gun laws, this article had nothing new or relevant to say. What it did not say was far more important than what it did. How was that particular shop able to sell them that gun so quickly? What is the law regarding background checks, and why did it not apply to this store?

Is that a reputable paper? They just called a semi-automatic an assault rifle.
It's a semi-reputable paper, if little known outside of metro-New York. My grandparents (from Long Island) always read the Daily News. The journalistic quality of that article is atrocious though. Muckraking was clearly the only purpose of this article; the journalists intent is clearly to outrage the reader only, not inform them.
 

kdowns

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
2,887
Reaction score
1,822
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
The Five day waiting period is actually false. Numerous people have walked in without prior notice or background checks and walk out with a gun. It's just our systems connect straight to the FBI and what not.
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
I made an A in calculus III and a B in Inorganic Chemistry. :woo

I know that's not a confession, but I figured that since this is the place where I always complain about education-related issues, that it might deem appropriate.
 

digitaldude

MH's Funniest Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
4,776
Reaction score
11,673
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I confess.......there was absolutely no confession here at all and just a discussion on gun control. BOOOO!
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top