Life The MangaHelpers Confessional Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Lost fan?
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Why mention the first one sucked? I saw the first one with a friend because he begged, otherwise I don't even care about Star Trek. All I'm saying is that it's not necessarily a good idea to judge a movie based on reviews. A lot of "professional" reviews have panned movies, and then did an 180 when the movie became a huge hit.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
It was more of an observation that you shouldnt prejudge things based upon single internet sources. I liked the first one though.
You're right, but I thought that the core plot was a joke at first. I then checked with the wiki and was horrified.

The remake of star trek was not meant to be exactly like the ones before it, hence the constant focus on it being a alternate world, an alternate storyline. It is meant to be different. It's sometimes important to watch remakes with an open mind. You do not focus negatively on the changes as much. That negativity can cloud your whole perception of the film. The experience, I find, is ultimately less rewarding than going in with an open mind.
He chose the worst parts of canon to put into a film. To do a "For Want of A Nail" type of story seriously, you can't just mix everyone from different age groups and command levels like that.

I tried to be open-minded, I really did, but the fact was that I was watching what the populace THINKS Star Trek TOS is - not what it really was - bothered the heck out of me.

Kirk was never that childish asshole. Kirk was supposed to have been bookish and withdrawn during Academy days (as a result, he was tormented by Finnigan, an upperclassman). He had witnessed a massacre on Tarsus IV when he was 13 when the colony leader executed 4,000 colonists. He and his family were saved by the arrival or relief ships.

So is that the kind of background that would make Kirk act like a spoiled brat with no cognizance of the lives under his command?

Spock acted far more sensibly in the TAS episode "Yesteryear" when he was 7 than in the entirety of the "Star Trek" reboot when he was supposedly older. There was no indication that Spock ever suffered from rage - that's an added theme, since rage was viewed as an indicator for criminal behavior when the show was made. The only incidents when Spock did get angry were during extreme duress (when turned into a people puppet, when Kirk mocked him to make the Omicron Ceti spores stop effecting him), and even then he just got silent. Not going into a yellfest.

Honestly, I felt that whole plot was a sustained attack on Spock's character, far more offensive than a bunch of Vulcan boys calling him not really vulcan.

But then I realized that this was all what people wanted to think Star Trek was about. Not what it was.

At that point, I just couldn't stand it.

You want to know a far better reboot story? Don't redo the Enterprise stories. It was built too late in the game to have young actors. Go back to Omicron Ceti and Spock's romance with Leila Kalmoni. Go back to the USS Farragut when Kirk (as a lieutenant) blamed himself for not destroying the Dikironium cloud creature that had killed over 200 members of his crew.

The writing has holes, which is not surprising, it's a blockbuster popcorn flick. It's not like TNG's "The Inner Light" episode but its not atrocious either. It's not meant to be a space drama but a modern action film, it's unfair to judge it's writing by different standards.
Hey, so was Star Trek: First Contact. But I liked that because it did a balance - action plus a little philosophical. It also cleaved to the timelines well. The only oddball part was the introduction of a borg queen, but whatevs. It remains one of my favorite Star Trek movies.

So I'm actually careful how I judge the material - I judge based on a comparison to First Contact. First Contact had a good heart. Star Trek (2009) did not.

I But I suppose that is the problem, people dont like the fact that it is an action film now and are unwilling to suspend disbelief for two hours of decent entertainment.
IT'S HARD WHEN IT'S TAKING A SHIT ON A CHILDHOOD MEMORY!

You overestimate his ability to veto what the studios want. He already has signed a contract to direct the sequels. The blame for the plot can (and should) be put to the feet of lindelof more than abrams. Lindelof has quite the un-midas touch.
The plot of the first and second movies were bad. Who was the common factor?

I don't blame the actors for trying to do their job. I do blame the script for being horrid.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I confess I find Memorial Day to be one of the most hypocritical/ironic holidays ever and am somewhat repulsed by it. You'll have a holiday to celebrate the soldiers, but you won't help them out? I've seen plenty of homeless vets in Philly and NYC. Call me Ishmael, but I think the priority should be taking care of vets or at least, making sure they have a shelter, before making a holiday for them.


I confess that I really don't want to attend my graduation ceremony, if I do pass all my class. Only reason why I changed my mind was because of my mom, but if she can't come then there's really no point in going as I don't fancy waiting a while for my name to be called. Plus, I wore the graduation robe and hat and feel like a proper prat. -_- Though somehow, I didn't mind eighth grade and twelfth grade graduation. D:
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
I confess that when it came down to it,
I had nothing meaningful to say;
Despite my endeavors.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,761
Reaction score
26,102
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I confess I find Memorial Day to be one of the most hypocritical/ironic holidays ever and am somewhat repulsed by it. You'll have a holiday to celebrate the soldiers, but you won't help them out? I've seen plenty of homeless vets in Philly and NYC. Call me Ishmael, but I think the priority should be taking care of vets or at least, making sure they have a shelter, before making a holiday for them.
I get what you mean here and you do speak some truth but duude try not to over-think on some of these points and just enjoy the god damn holiday.
If you want to make an awareness to the plight of the homeless vets or otherwise, write to your officials.
I confess that I really don't want to attend my graduation ceremony, if I do pass all my class. Only reason why I changed my mind was because of my mom, but if she can't come then there's really no point in going as I don't fancy waiting a while for my name to be called. Plus, I wore the graduation robe and hat and feel like a proper prat. -_- Though somehow, I didn't mind eighth grade and twelfth grade graduation. D:
Hope you attend pending that you manage to pass. Grats!
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Hard to enjoy the holiday though.

I also miss attending the parade. My mom, aunt, and cousins used to attend the parade almost every day when we lived in Farmingdale. After they moved, it was more of a rare thing. Was even in a parade as a scout, but I threw too much candy and ran out early. :(
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,248
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I confess that I slapped a girl for no reason at all way back in High School. But we're still close up to now, she forgave me.
 

Nast.J

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
401
Reaction score
183
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
I confess that I slapped a girl for no reason at all way back in High School. But we're still close up to now, she forgave me.
Why would you slap her? Depending on your answer, I won't have a bad opinion about you although it's going to be hard to convince me.
 

liductan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
854
Reaction score
3,074
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I confess that I slapped a girl for no reason at all way back in High School. But we're still close up to now, she forgave me.
So..she forgave you..did she slap you back? That's what I would have done..
 
Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I confess that I slapped a girl for no reason at all way back in High School. But we're still close up to now, she forgave me.
Close is a bit relative:lmao...how close are you 2?
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Faust, be careful who you do that to... She may have forgiven you, but if you do that to the wrong girl, she may press charges, never forgive you, or hurt you back. Or her father or brother might even fuck you up. I'm sure you learned a lesson (you're not an idiot), but I thought it was important to say. If a man did that to me, I would get my revenge one way or another. And forgiving is not always the same as forgetting.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,248
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Why would you slap her? Depending on your answer, I won't have a bad opinion about you although it's going to be hard to convince me.
No reason at all that's how terrible it was. I'm super guilty with what I did


So..she forgave you..did she slap you back? That's what I would have done..
I stay beside her while she cries. I'm also shock of what I did myself?! It's like a sudden burst of wanting to slap someone I don't know :o

Close is a bit relative:lmao...how close are you 2?
I call her "mommy" coz she's my mom in our batch's made-up family tree.
We are in a special science class. We're classmates for 4 years, all years of high school (High School here is 4 Years, Old Education System)
I did that/slap her in our first year. She's very understanding.

Faust, be careful who you do that to... She may have forgiven you, but if you do that to the wrong girl, she may press charges, never forgive you, or hurt you back. Or her father or brother might even fuck you up. I'm sure you learned a lesson (you're not an idiot), but I thought it was important to say. If a man did that to me, I would get my revenge one way or another. And forgiving is not always the same as forgetting.
Yeah... I learned my lesson. Sorry to all the innocent girls! I'm guilty with what I did myself! :fail
 
Last edited:

liductan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
854
Reaction score
3,074
Gender
Female
Country
United States
No reason at all that's how terrible it was. I'm super guilty with what I did

I stay beside her while she cries. I'm also shock of what I did myself?! It's like a sudden burst of wanting to slap someone I don't know :o

She cried..she might be a sweet heart..If was me, even it did hurt, I wouldn't feel the pain. Until I whack you upside your head. Then I would be satisfied.

After that, we would understand each other in a few days. After, I have had ignored you those few days. She is very forgiving..You sound bipolar..personality disorder,lol
 
Last edited:

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
Highschool is 4 years here too.

/irrelevant information
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,248
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Highschool is 4 years here too.

/irrelevant information
They are currently changing the education system here

Old:
Day Care (optional)
Kindergarten or/and Prep 1-2 years
Grade School 6 years
High School 4 years
College

New:
Kindergarten 1 year
Grade School 6 years
Junior High School 4 years
Senior High School 2 years
College
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
When I was reading Christian Scriptures in high school, I told people it was because I wanted to get closer to God and learn his teachings.

I confess that the real reason was because I wanted to understand the references that classic literature made toward it and that whoever wrote it was a really good story teller, and probably nothing more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top