Help Short & Quick Translation Request Thread [Thread for members with little/no JP/C/K knowledge. OP for

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Need help on translating some sentences. They're from the 009 Re: Cyborg manga chapter 9.


ビル群の倒壊の仕方から見て地質学や風水を駆使し少なくともビルを建てる2年以上前からあの大惨事を想定していたはずです


東京で ミサイルが使われたのは彼の声を聞いた米軍の誰かが警戒が厳しくなっている中確実に高層ビルを破壊するためにとった新たな手段だったのではないでしょうか.


(a character is being pursued by some military jets)
やはり 見逃してはくれんか

These are...... a mouthful to translate but here goes, lol. (The English could be a bit sloppy)


Judging from the way the buildings collapsed, that tragedy could have been predicted using geology and feng-shui ever since the building was constructed over two years ago.

The use of missiles within Tokyo was probably a new means taken by someone from the US military who heard his voice, in order to destroy the skyscrapers without fail under stricter security measures.

Can't you let me go?
 
Last edited:

Animeace

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 11, 2010
Messages
371
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Shippo! Enhancement manga summary please and thank you :)

しっぽ!エンハンスメント」は謎の尻尾が生えた少女が、尻尾を駆使して敵と戦うバトルアクション。第1話では彼女の尻尾に対し、もとの所有者は自分であると主張する青年が現れたことから、ふたりがトラブルに巻き込まれていく様子が描かれた。
 
Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Shippo! Enhancement manga summary please and thank you :)

しっぽ!エンハンスメント」は謎の尻尾が生えた少女が、尻尾を駆使して敵と戦うバトルアクション。第1話では彼女の尻尾に対し、もとの所有者は自分であると主張する青年が現れたことから、ふたりがトラブルに巻き込まれていく様子が描かれた。
"Shippo! Enhancement" is a battle-action series about a girl who, having grown a mysterious tail, uses it to battle enemies. In Chapter 1, we see[1] a young man[2] appears, claiming to be the original owner of her tail, and the two of them get wrapped up in trouble from then on.


[1] Originally "it is drawn that" as in "the manga is drawn portraying those events," but I can't think of a good way to phrase it literally, hence "we see" unless you can help me rephrase it a bit XD

[2] I had a quick look-up to check the gender of the second mentioned character. The original term isn't gender-specific in particular but I decided it would flow better than "young person."

Sorry for the mess, hope this helps.
 

Animeace

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 11, 2010
Messages
371
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

"Shippo! Enhancement" is a battle-action series about a girl who, having grown a mysterious tail, uses it to battle enemies. In Chapter 1, we see[1] a young man[2] appears, claiming to be the original owner of her tail, and the two of them get wrapped up in trouble from then on.


[1] Originally "it is drawn that" as in "the manga is drawn portraying those events," but I can't think of a good way to phrase it literally, hence "we see" unless you can help me rephrase it a bit XD

[2] I had a quick look-up to check the gender of the second mentioned character. The original term isn't gender-specific in particular but I decided it would flow better than "young person."

Sorry for the mess, hope this helps.
Yeah I think that it was more of person giving comments on the chapter than a legit summary so phrasing is a little weird but you did an amazing job great work as always.

It's a lot better than my garbled up summary

"Tail! Enhancement is enigma's tail-growing girl, making full use of the tail to fight the enemy. Battle action. The first story, a young girl's tail and a young man who claims to be one of her own. How the two get into trouble is drawn." LMAO I might as well be using google translate HAHA


I found couple pics from natali gender part is reffering to a boy I guess.:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SummerRain

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Nevermind, haha. Guess no one wants to help.
 
Last edited:

buechse

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 12, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Hey there, hope someone can help me with Murata's notes from the first onepunchman volume.


シンプルな カオの竿 なのに ??しすぎ
Simple?
-----

ついに単行本化!
Finally in Tankobon form!

webと違って印刷物になると
もう描き直しがきかないので
念入りに手を入れました。
楽しんでやってくださいませ!

I think he speaks about how drawing for a web comic is pretty different to drawing for a magazine, but I'm not sure about the second half.
----

この作品は フィクションです。
実在の人物, 団体, 事件などには, いっ?い関係ありません。

Well, forget the last one in the sign, just realized it's the fictional persons disclaimer ;)
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

シンプルな カオの筈 なのに 難しすぎ
Even though (nano ni) I expected (hazu - the little smudge at bottom of character is 口) it to be a simple face, it was too (noun sugi = surpassingly/an excess) difficult
...
ついに単行本化!
Finally in Tankobon form!
Finally changed into Tankobon!/Finally Tankobon-ized (化 is an all purpose suffix meaning 'change'; e.g, chemistry = 化学; change study)

webと違って印刷物になると
When it comes to printed material
もう描き直しがきかないので
It's not like the web (web to chigatte) because it's harder (kikanai/be accessible/useful) to re (naoshi) draw (egaki)
念入りに手を入れました。
So I had to really pay attention.
楽しんでやってくださいませ!
I hope you enjoy it! (being polite, but not formal; a casual verb with a polite suffix)

----

この作品は フィクションです。
This is a work of fiction.
実在の人物, 団体, 事件などには, いっさい関係ありません。
It has absolutely nothing to do with real people, organizations or events.

Good job so far, but you've got a little ways to go. ^_^ You just need to get more vocabulary and experience under your belt to be good with hand-written Japanese. I wasn't excessively grammatical or formal in my translation, but I did it in a way that should help you see how the grammar works. I avoided rewriting the general grammar of sentences, but also avoided being too X = Y and robotic. As far as your attempt, it was quite admirable and shows that you're making some good progress!
As a tip, き and さ, when hand-written tend to 'skip' a bit of the curve, or draw it as a perpendicular line. There are other letters which look different when written.
 

Loldiz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 11, 2013
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Hello! I need help with this sentence:

クマと少女お別れの時
My translation: The farewell between the Girl and the Bear

Is that correct? Could someone help me?
 

ComradeLewis

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 4, 2013
Messages
18
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

~時 attached to a verb or ~の時 attached to a noun is one of the ways to say "when" or "at that time." There are a few other ways to say "when" in Japanese but 時 is the most temporal of them all (the other ways stress "If" to different degrees). Other than that your translation is pretty good.

You could translate it, "when the girl and the bear separated." or "at the time of their separation," etc..
 

TheGodOfKonoha

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 10, 2013
Messages
19
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Can someone tell me what this says???
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Can someone tell me what this says???

Lol this one is funny:
I bought a souvenir for Mr. PIC (person in charge,) I wanted to gift it but it was past its best before date... Meaningless!! <Masashi>
 

Kaibutsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

I'm a new translator and I often get caught out with the slang I find in shoujo manga.

いーじゃないさわるくらい
Can someone please help me with this sentence? And tell me what the い at the beginning means? At first, I thought it was short for いい, but I don't really want to take any risks.

Image (it's the bubble with the JP writing):
 

Guren no heya kara

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2013
Messages
87
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

It's いー, meaning いい. In manga you'll find often ー used to make the vowels long after the hiragana...it should be used only after a vowel in katakana though, but because it's manga and spoken language and stuff for youngsters...you know, it's "acceptable".

The sentence is something like "Just touching is fine, right?", or something similar to this.
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

I'm a new translator and I often get caught out with the slang I find in shoujo manga.

いーじゃないさわるくらい
Can someone please help me with this sentence? And tell me what the い at the beginning means? At first, I thought it was short for いい, but I don't really want to take any risks.

Image (it's the bubble with the JP writing):

Welcome :)
I'm not much of a translator myself, but there are a few bits you could look out for when translating Japanese. Short answer to your question is, yes that does mean いい. The long answer is, い― carries a different feeling/emotion than simply いい.

Different ways of representing a word all hold different meanings behind the speaker/author's intention. For example, you will sometimes see certain Japanese words in hiragana that could have been written in kanji. You see this often when children speak. This is because when they pronounce difficult words, they treat the word as if it were a compound of several syllables. Technically, this is of course true, but for an adult with more experience in difficult words, they treat the word as a 'whole.' On paper, writing in kanji gives off a more mature feeling about them, while writing in hiragana gives you an easy/childish/(sometimes happy) feeling.

For words or sentences pronounced weirdly or slightly off from how it should sound, they are tend to be written in katakana. You see this most often when foreigners or non-humans (monsters) speak. On paper, katakana feels more 'distant' and 'isolated' from what you're used to, especially when whole sentences are in katakana.

In the case of い―じゃないか, there is a notable emphasis on the word "い―", possibly elongated i.e. the girl is holding the いい sound effectively longer than what your typical いい should sound like.

Do note however, not everything can be retained when you translate from Japanese to English. I'm specifically referring to these implicit/suggestive emotions/feelings behind the way the dialogues are written on paper. Being able to get the general gist of feeling is one thing, the way you choose to present the dialogues in English is totally at your own discretion. In this case, there's probably no good way to present the slightly different emotion behind the い― without changing the literal meaning, so I guess you could translate it normally. (The non-literal choice could be something like: "Aah~ Why not?" but of course, the "Aah" sound is not in the original dialogue.)

(In conclusion, to be honest, a lot of information is already lost upon translating 僕, 俺, 私, わたし, あたし, ボク, オレ, ワシ etc. so you might as well not worry too much :p )

EDIT: And oh, yes the meaning of the phrase is as Guren no heya kara says.
 
Last edited:

Guren no heya kara

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2013
Messages
87
Reaction score
12
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

I'll translate the first one for you, because it's funny.

"It greatly concerns me that the sugar rusk flavored umaibou[a Japanese snack] has got no hole!![the normal umaibou has it]...but it's delicious!! (Masashi)."
 

uraharaisimba

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 4, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Would it be possible

Would it be possible for someone to please help me with a translation from english to chinese and japanese?
I want the phrase dream it, believe it, achieve it translated. If someone would do that it would be much appreciated. I am new to the forum and i am not sure if this is the correct section but i will surely learn. I was looking for a forum for translations but i found this little gem instead wich is a huge plus. Thanks in advance
 

Kaibutsu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 14, 2013
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

どんな人間だってあんなに否定されたらそうな。
My translation: What kind of person is denied ...... like that.

What is されたら? I honestly can't find it the dictionary at all.
Context: Second bubble, first panel
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Hey there Kaibutsu! Good question. First of all, される is a passive form of する. Passive voice says that 'things happened', not that 'people did things'. For example, "The bike was stolen" is passive, but "Somebody stole my bike" is not. Moving on, you see the たら form attached to the verb. たら is somewhat like 'if', in the sense that you use it to say that 'if X were true, then Y'. Anyways, されたら is essentially saying 'if ... were to be done'.
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: Would it be possible

Would it be possible for someone to please help me with a translation from english to chinese and japanese?
I want the phrase dream it, believe it, achieve it translated. If someone would do that it would be much appreciated. I am new to the forum and i am not sure if this is the correct section but i will surely learn. I was looking for a forum for translations but i found this little gem instead wich is a huge plus. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. Just want to let you know it is usually very difficult to translate something written so poetically and make it work in other languages. In most cases there will be an unfortunate compromise with meaning and/or the feel. The Chinese is very problematic if you want it to sound natural, the Japanese less so. But I'll try my best with my limited knowledge while making it sound 'poetic.'


Dream it, believe it, achieve it.

Chinese: 您的夢想,由您相信,由您實踐。
lit: Your dream, for / up to you to believe, for / up to you to achieve.

Japanese: 夢を持って、それを信じて、そして果たせ。
lit: Have a dream, believe in it, and then accomplish it. (T/N: command form)


Anyone with better ideas please correct me!
 
Top