Life The MangaHelpers Confessional Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I confess I'm utterly confused as to why women think men prefer skinny girls. there are pics out there saying "real men choose curves, dogs choose bones" or whatever, or pics of curvy girls like Marilyn Monroe with caption saying "where has this gone" or whatever. What I want to know is... how did women ever come to the conclusion we prefer skinny girls over curvy?
Because some men like them skinny, that's why...:D

Also there's no we in this...or if there is, then I would go just as far as that the human body's beauty(especially a woman's) is defined by muscles, which includes the curves just fine and we prefer that...so the answer your question, women view that type of body as the absence of fat, and not as the existence of nicely defined muscles

Oh and a bit of topic...for lots, lots of girls, women...it's not even about guys, when it comes to let's get thinner...it's their own expectations, their own preference...
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
What does curvy even mean? Everyone has their own definition of it and it tends to range from the obese to the slim. It's a useless and catch-all phrase that tends to encompass most of the female population.

Secondly, there is not universal rule of what attracts men because last time I checked men are individuals. I know plenty of guys that would never hit on a girl that wasnt really slim and others whose whole basis of attractiveness was on how big her ass was regardless of her weight. It's silly to take half the human population and just blindly say they have this view on attractiveness.
I agree. It's just that I see statuses, pictures, tweets, blogs, and the likes that complain about men wantin bones or not wanting curves. I'll share some pics in Gary's thread if I ever find it.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
yeah...I don't know what Milly is talking about. That being said, I don't have a "type". That's the beautiful thing about women, so much variety. :umad
Desperate times calls for desperate measures :toc. There isn't anything wrong in having personal preference. That doesn't make thinner girls less attractive or anything. In the end, what matters the most is the heart inside that person.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
wow thorny... much gay... very heartfelt....
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I agree. It's just that I see statuses, pictures, tweets, blogs, and the likes that complain about men wantin bones or not wanting curves. I'll share some pics in Gary's thread if I ever find it.
First: Twitter is dominated by some of the stupidest shit ever written, which happens when you discuss a nuanced subject in 140 characters.

Second: When it comes to dating, no complaints of "short preference" or "thin preference" is really relevant. You can't control preferences of other people. If they choose to call you out on being chubby or a pipsqueak, it's pretty clear that they're trying to be an asshole and no relationship could have existed anyways.

Third: But there is a pressure to be thinner just in every day dealings. Many clothes are cheaply designed to fit thin models, making shopping an regular reminder of how you don't measure up to the standard. Supposedly larger women in media are often removed or edited to make them more aesthetically appealing. Women are inundated with images of being the perfect woman, which happens to be a skinny blonde, large rack (though those are mutually exclusive without breast enhancement surgery), thin legs (the better to wear leggings + boots with), long neck, and sloping shoulders.

Basically, the pressure isn't just from one man or woman walking up to a girl and saying "you're fat" (though this happens, it's so blatantly idiotic and assholic it gets called on the spot). It's from images and assumptions about women's bodies. Humans react to seeing images like us, and when we don't see it in media, it's pretty upsetting. The larger you are, though, the pressures increase for both genders. The pressure just grows more intense for women quicker than it does for men. That's when remarks on how you need to go on a diet starts showing up. That's when you barely fit into an airline seat and feel real guilty over invading the seat next to you. That's when losing weight is really difficult, especially once you are past a certain age, and all the distress can paralyze these folks, even to the point of relapsing into eating disorders.

My mom is overweight, but medical problems exacerbate her attempts to lose it. When she has restarted her rowing regime, she has damaged her Achilles tendon, once was bedridden for a month due to compartment syndrome in one leg, and currently has gall stones. As soon as she starts to lose weight, she gets these injuries and health problems that stop her for a month. It's not like she is gorging on MacDs or anything either: we make small balanced meals in-house, usually brocolli + some kind of chicken dish (it's not like we can afford luxurious meals). The end result is that, though she looks 10 years younger than her contemporaries (thanks to the Sami metabolism), she is still fat to all the recruiters she approaches, and thus she is never able to get a job despite how she is more than qualified and her mind is still very sharp (she learned Python with me last year and does a lot of the pitch development for the apps we develop).

tl;dr. Prejudice towards fat people exists, but it's not this ridiculous "he didn't like me because I'm too fat" or "she didn't like me because I'm too short" -- it's something that does actively damage people's lives in their ability to make a living.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I know most of the blame goes to media. However, the media is the one that favors skinny over curvy, not men.

Prejudice agrees, yes, but my main annoyance comes from people who claim men prefer skinny over curvy when that's rarely the case. I can't say the same about the media though, or any of the work place. But prejudice always exist, regardless of fat, ugly, race, or religion, when trying to find work.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,228
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Desperate times calls for desperate measures :toc. There isn't anything wrong in having personal preference. That doesn't make thinner girls less attractive or anything. In the end, what matters the most is the heart inside that person.
Not having a type doesn't mean there are no preferences...
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Not having a type doesn't mean there are no preferences...
I confess, you sounded confuse to me whenever there is a reference to the opposite gender. You are more solid and concrete :toc...when the discussion is about the same gender. Not implying anyyyyything...just a mere observation.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,228
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I confess, you sounded confuse to me whenever there is a reference to the opposite gender. You are more solid and concrete :toc...when the discussion is about the same gender. Not implying anyyyyything...just a mere observation.
Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about...I'm confused :derp
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
It means you handle girl issues with care. :derp
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,228
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I confess that I got lost in this troll...


:derp
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
Troll? :lmao

Well, I suppose you make your moves carefully and try to avoid unpleasant circumstances around girls. In a sense, you're thoughtful but perhaps you can be a bit bold. I guess it also depends on who you meet and how close you are. I may be wrong, just going by your posts on the forum. :p
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,228
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
omg Pat gets me :uguu


no.

[pat]If you say so. :^_^[/pat]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Gary always takes serious observations as trolls. :derp





I confess that at this point, it seems like quantum mechanics is a mixture between religion and science; I'm on the verge of conversion.



:arf
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top