Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We don't get it on some weeks. It'll be less than 24 hours until the full ToC appears anyways.
Am vastly looking forward to early impressions of Illegal Rare vs ToC (unless World Trigger, Haikyuu!! fell to the bottom :( )
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
If the current generation of Jump readers wanted a dark series, wouldnt there be one in its current lineup? Wouldnt the other series released in the past year and before, and even before that still be running? Other magazines out there have darkish series so it is reasonable to believe that people are able and comfortable with getting their dark fix elsewhere.
I always found it weird how we haven't seen any dark series for years up until this point, like the editors were trying to steer away from the genre as much as they can in favour of romcoms, sports and gag series.

I can even pinpoint the moment when darker series fell out of favour to the romcom. That was in late 2011 when the last newly serialized mystery/suspense series Enigma got replaced by Nisekoi the following week, the first highly successful romcom since Hatsukoi Limited, which ended in 2008. It's why I've gotten jealous of romcom fans with subsequent romcoms getting released one after the next, and especially because this particular series seems to have its own, dare I say, Nisehards, on a grander scale than any other popular series I've seen.

So for Shiibashi to return with the first dark series since Enigma is going to be quite a breather, and I hope its genre follows the growth of popularity as the romcom.

Speaking of Enigma, if Kenji Sakaki returns with a dark series, which I'm pretty sure she will, I hope Illegal Rare won't suck away its competition, if the two series were to serialize simultaneously. I'm hoping the two series would compete with each other in the same vein as between Kuroko and Haikyu rather than between Nisekoi and Koisome/Pajama/Edison(/iShojo).

Am vastly looking forward to early impressions of Illegal Rare vs ToC (unless World Trigger, Haikyuu!! fell to the bottom :( )
You do know that for the first 7-8 weeks or so, the series is placed at complete random, right?

The occasional rare success doesn't change the fact that successful dark series in Jump are usually an anomaly.
Successful Jump series usually always have a core theme of friendship, teamwork, and/or adventure.
Dark series tend to sacrifice one or more of those elements for the sake of being edgy.
You're referencing the three principles for WSJ manga to be popular right? Friendship, effort and victory?

Having read Enigma, I can safely say each of the three principles were extremely prominent throughout the series, at least within its first arc. Too bad the second arc couldn't live up to it, and I agree that the principles got thrown away altogether in that section of the story.

Having read Nurarihyon no Mago, I can say the same thing, with the concept of the Hyakki Yako, the training, and the teamwork.

So just because a series is dark doesn't mean it automatically sacrifices these elements.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Shouldn't we already have the ToC or at least the bottom 10 by now?
The uploader who upload bottom half of the ToC doesn't upload this information anymore.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
O god, tell me we are not going to argue about the dark series failing/succeeding again.

Viz can't cancel Shogakukan series, they can only cancel Shueisha titles, I don't know exactly why but it might be a 'pride' thing (remember Viz is Shogakukan foremost). That might also play a part in why they don't want to license Gin.. They are scared that a title that doesn't seem to be ending any time soon might lose its appeal in the long run, I mean historically gag/slice of life manga isn't that hot of a seller, isn't it?

The series you mention is probably Firefighter Daigo, a series that allegedly sold very, very low (as in fewer than a 100 volumes) and didn't get canceled.
Really? Where have you heard that? That's interesting if true.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
O god, tell me we are not going to argue about the dark series failing/succeeding again.
Wait, what do you mean by "again"? I thought we were still going.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@zogobob:
I can't seem to recall where exaclty, it might have been here.

I mean they have canceled Shogakukan series, the only one I recall is Urusei Yatsura but that was a long time ago, Zatch Bell is the last example I remember but that wasn't because they had any control over the situation.

As for Firefighter selling like very low it was here

As for the "Viz can't cancel Shogakukan series" I don't remember where exactly I read it but it went something like this: "Viz keeps canceling SJ series like Ichigo 100%, Gintama and Reborn! while other series from Shogakukan that don't sell that hot either aren't cancelled, thus Viz can't cancel Shogakukan titles" That's the theory. And it might be true, Viz continued Daigo and from what I have heard its Shogakukan titles continue, we have to remember after all that Shogakukan was the company that started Viz in the States (Shueisha joined Viz in order to compete with Raijin comics in the 2000s IIRC).
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,463
Reaction score
39,372
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think one is able to confidently suggest which series won't be popular or appealing and accurately predict it (based on genre). I am looking forward to revisiting this whole discussion in 8 or so weeks and then in 20 or so to see which sides premonition verified.
Of course, but in the end will be only a prediction, and making clear, i not doubt that Illegal Rare may be a fail, but will only mean that the manga was not able to please the readers of the magazine, not necessarily has something to do with the "genre"

Dude... I'm not talking about just the last few years, I'm talking about Jump history in general.

Also read again what I wrote about why Haikyuu and Souma are popular.
It's pretty easy to see why.
The comment was directed to Sharkbait

Speaking of Enigma, if Kenji Sakaki returns with a dark series, which I'm pretty sure she will, I hope Illegal Rare won't suck away its competition, if the two series were to serialize simultaneously. I'm hoping the two series would compete with each other in the same vein as between Kuroko and Haikyu rather than between Nisekoi and Koisome/Pajama/Edison(/iShojo).
No, this will not be a good thing, all of us know that dark, romcom, mistery and others types of genres (not sports) almost always just can keeping one manga in Jump, these "competitions" always results in a cancelation, and put Shiibashi and Sakaki together with the same type of manga probably will result in a bad thing. But i really want to see Sakaki returning, she is probably the newbie that i most like

Also, I believe that nobody look to Edison as a romcom
 
Last edited:

zangetsukakashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
117
Reaction score
44
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
Today we're getting another Toriko color page, no? :zomg

That and today's Kenshiro/Raoh reveal in J-Stars....... : )
 
Last edited:

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Now i only want Rikuo from Nurarhyon no mago in Jump stars,and maybe the protagonist of Busou renkin,eyeshield 21 and the protagonist of Shaman king and Kinnikuman
 

zangetsukakashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
117
Reaction score
44
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
Now i only want Rikuo from Nurarhyon no mago in Jump stars,and maybe the protagonist of Busou renkin,eyeshield 21 and the protagonist of Shaman king and Kinnikuman
I would love Hiruma from Eyeshield more than Sena.
Also, Momotaro from Sakigake Otokojuku would be epic.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Do Someone know what it says?
推定刷り部数「ワールドトリガー4」10万弱、「SOUL CATCHER(S)3」9万弱、「磯部磯兵衛物語」2万弱
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There will be posters of Nisekoi and Shokugeki in this week issue? Nice.
Good cover as well.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Do Someone know what it says?
推定刷り部数「ワールドトリガー4」10万弱、「SOUL CATCHER(S)3」9万弱、「磯部磯兵衛物語」2万弱
Google translate says
World Trigger 4 has an estimated printing number of little less than 100,000 copies.
Soul Catcher(s) 3 is a little less than 90,000 copies.
Isobe is a little less than 20,000 copies.

Edit- If this is true, then I'd be impressed with WT AND Soul Catcher(s).
 

korshunxD

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
167
Reaction score
223
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
There will be posters of Nisekoi and Shokugeki in this week issue? Nice.
Good cover as well.
Nisekoi - poster, Shokugeki no Soma - card with aroma of chocolate.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,463
Reaction score
39,372
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
ahsuhasuhas Marika beats Chitoge and Onodera still in the first place, epic win.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
LOL.

I just noticed that under the "thanks for all of the support" it says "especially Y-san from the Chiba prefecture."
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
LOL.

I just noticed that under the "thanks for all of the support" it says "especially Y-san from the Chiba prefecture."
He is the same guy who voted to Marika hundred of times in the past poll. Marika surpassed Chitoge this time because of this, I wonder. XD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top