Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
That would mean that WT sold 30K in ~2 days which could get to 50-60K in 5 days that have a Friday and Saturday.
SC sold 18K which could sum up to 35K when the Oricon chart is published in the next week.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,474
Reaction score
39,403
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This promotional video makes Soul Catcher(s) look like a epic manga about music.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I think WT will sell 80k and Soul catcher(S) will sell 50k.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think WT will sell 80k and Soul catcher(S) will sell 50k.
World Trigger would sell 82-93% of its print run in wk 1? Isnt that a little bit extreme considering the previous volume did 60% in wk1?!
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
The total printing of volume 4 is of 100k,so I think it could arrive to 80k
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The total printing of volume 4 is of 100k,so I think it could arrive to 80k
Yes 80% of ~100K is 80K...I highly doubt it is going to chart at 80K, especially if it started out in two days at 30%...
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
In a week,it won't sell 80k,40-50k,maybe in two week
 

PEDROKUE

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
41
Reaction score
17
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Good to see Isobeeeee doing so well... I still don't undestand why none Manga Editor is doing this series...

And that Promotional Video for Soul Catchers was awesome.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Gag manga barely ever get scanlated. Nobody did Inumarudashi, though I translated like 4 chapters of it back then. Hoozuki no Reitetsu is sort of finally getting slightly scanlated... For the most part they don't get done because they're very hard to translate. It takes a thorough knowledge of colloquial speech, plus the text is very dense. Often you need to be willing to spend time looking up references, too.
 
Last edited:

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Back when I had the patience to read a raw, never mind Inumarudashi, I tried translating chapter 5 part 1. 6 pages long, but riddled with so many obscure cultural references: about one every page. I still can't believe I got through the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure I got about at least 90% of the references.


Dealing with wordplay is also a challenge that can never be perfectly rectified between languages. It's like a non-English speaker trying to watch a kids cartoon made in Canmerica dubbed into their own language.


To give you an idea of how obscure a reference can be, picture this:

Let's say a VA once voiced a certain notable line for an anime from the 80s, about 30 years ago. Now, there are many ways to translate a sentence from Japanese to English, mainly because Japanese sentence structures tend not to have as much variety as in English, so translators can play around with the order of the words to see what personally fits best from a literary perspective. So you can't expect them all to translate the same Japanese line the same way to English. You also can't expect them to catch every last reference, especially if it's from such a long time ago.
So unless your native language is Japanese and you understand their pop culture as fluently and as deep into the past as a native, to the point where you don't depend on fansubs to watch an anime, you would never notice the VA referencing this exact same line again for an anime from the current decade.
That's exactly what happened when late VA Kenji Utsumi made a cameo for Beelzebub, specifically to voice a line for a very minor character powering up that he once voiced as Raoh from Fist of the North Star as his dying words.

You can see for yourself by comparing these three videos of Utsumi voicing the exact same line, but getting translated differently:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5eTfZ0hc4Y&t=3m58s (Fist of the North Star, video game)
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3vEktVRvUY&t=5m33s (Fist of the North Star, anime)
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ad9kP1Jfj8&t=7m43s (Beelzebub)

Try figuring that out without some stumbling and research.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It is very difficult to translate the gag series into English since they have their own word gags or even comedy which is popular in Japan but not in the western world. Like, I'm not sure if how many people in here know about who is Tamo-san from Gintama.

I think the shortest way to translate the gag series is just make completely new gag which is suitable for the western people.
 
Last edited:

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Inumarudashi had referecnes to Pokemon and Death Note. It wasn't THAT hard to get.

I think they made a joke like that in Gintama not too far back. About just a reference to some random line from Mononoke Hime. Took me forever to figure out what the fuck the joke was. Plus the grammar was all old-timey, too.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Inumarudashi had referecnes to Pokemon and Death Note. It wasn't THAT hard to get.
However, what happens if the other gag was referenced from other than anime/manga (also, I'm not just talking about Inumaru).
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
What about Ikko? The Kazu Dance? The Buttlympics (Oshirinpikku)? Waki-kun? Or Binetsu Danji?

I sure didn't find anything any newbie anime fan can find.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Buttlympics: I'm not too sure myself, but I know it's some sort of meme. I believe this is a video of a Buttlympics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlH2CDZ_CM

Waki-kun: That's a nickname for Tomohiro Waki.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=18012

Binetsu DanjiL That's a J-pop trio from 2003.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/微熱DANJI

Is this what we call going off-topic, by the way? I actually can't tell. :s
Exactly. If the gag series made a parody of a famous Japanese person or gag from Japan, do you think the western fans going to get it?

The gag series is just very difficult translate it. That's why I think not much Edited Manga picks up the gag series for their Edited Manga.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
After the color page of Illegal Rare I'm even more excited, It gives me a feel somewhere between HxH and Toriko and I can't even put the finger down and say why.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
After the color page of Illegal Rare I'm even more excited, It gives me a feel somewhere between HxH and Toriko and I can't even put the finger down and say why.
Toriko. The only thing I can find similar from that picture and Toriko is that the characters don't seem to be in their teens.
Hunter x Hunter. Probably cause of the wanted posters. Makes those characters look like hunters.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top