Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, I didn't read the one shot for I Shoujo, so I'm not really too sure.

But, aren't Medaka Box and Kiruko-san also focus on the male lead's perspective? If you think it is, then aren't those two series make the series with male lead characters?
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Well, I didn't read the one shot for I Shoujo, so I'm not really too sure.

But, aren't Medaka Box and Kiruko-san also focus on the male lead's perspective? If you think it is, then aren't those two series make the series with male lead characters?
I think they're series with a couple of main characters without one being more important than the other, I mean, there were many parts of both series where Medaka/Kiruko didn't appear at all, too
Besides, unlike Medaka/Kiruko, iShoujo is romcom...
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think they're series with a couple of main characters without one being more important than the other, I mean, there were many parts of both series where Medaka/Kiruko didn't appear at all, too
Besides, unlike Medaka/Kiruko, iShoujo is romcom...
And we can't be sure for I Shoujo as well. Just because they did like that for one shot, it doesn't mean it'll do in series as well. Plus, it looks like it'll be female lead character series, like Medaka and Kiruko, since it puts the female lead in the preview.

Well, we have to wait and see what I Shouji looks like. Based on the preview, I don't think it is just romocom.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
And we can't be sure for I Shoujo as well. Just because they did like that for one shot, it doesn't mean it'll do in series as well. Plus, it looks like it'll be female lead character series, like Medaka and Kiruko, since it puts the female lead in the preview.

Well, we have to wait and see what I Shouji looks like. Based on the preview, I don't think it is just romocom.
I just reread the oneshot and here's a detailed summary
Main guy is in soccer club and listens to senpai's girlfriend talk about a cursed app that lets you control the person you love.
A girl that's just how he likes them transfers to his school, she plays soccer, and, as there's no girls soccer club, she plays in the boys club.
Because of that the teacher seats her next to him and asks him to take care of her. He gets nervous because of her looks and spanks him for him to man up, the girl has a kansai-ben-ish accent.
After a month of practicing the girl shows how good she is and she's actually better than our main guy.
The guy fells for her but doesn't want to accept it and in his frustration from always losing to her he ends up getting the cursed app in his phone.
The app has the girl on screen and whatever he does to her on screen will happen to the real her.
After testing the app (in a somewhat perverted way) he notices it actually works.
After that, he takes a bug from the girl's chest and saves her from falling some stairs (well, he just made her fall in some bushes instead of the ground) using the app.
Because of those events, the girl starts believing that it's not a cursed app but an app of "love" and starts falling for the user that she doesn't even know if he actually exists.
Both are chosen for a practice match, the girl is a starter, the guy is benched. He kinda resents her for this.
On the day of the practice match, the girl is really nervous and is pretty much useless during the first half of the game, after that he goes to her and tells her "You're way better than this!", she confesses that she has a big stage fright and that she'd like the guy with the app to move her like if it were a videogame.
The guy thinks a bit, notices he loves her during that, and decides to spank her using the app to "wake her up", after that she becomes the star of the day.
They go back home together and she starts talking about how she'd like to thank the app's user and so on, to which he only says "that guy must be satisfied just knowing he could help" and things like that, she then takes his hand and thanks him directly.
And after that there's some more bits of tolove-ru (first series)-like fanservice comedy to end it.
I'm aware that many things in the setting will probably change, but I think the overall functionality of the app won't, and as long as that happens I think this will be pure romcom just as the oneshot
 

Gurido

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 8, 2013
Messages
34
Reaction score
7
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Has Iron Knight already had its first rank?
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
I just reread the oneshot and here's a detailed summary
Main guy is in soccer club and listens to senpai's girlfriend talk about a cursed app that lets you control the person you love.
A girl that's just how he likes them transfers to his school, she plays soccer, and, as there's no girls soccer club, she plays in the boys club.
Because of that the teacher seats her next to him and asks him to take care of her. He gets nervous because of her looks and spanks him for him to man up, the girl has a kansai-ben-ish accent.
After a month of practicing the girl shows how good she is and she's actually better than our main guy.
The guy fells for her but doesn't want to accept it and in his frustration from always losing to her he ends up getting the cursed app in his phone.
The app has the girl on screen and whatever he does to her on screen will happen to the real her.
After testing the app (in a somewhat perverted way) he notices it actually works.
After that, he takes a bug from the girl's chest and saves her from falling some stairs (well, he just made her fall in some bushes instead of the ground) using the app.
Because of those events, the girl starts believing that it's not a cursed app but an app of "love" and starts falling for the user that she doesn't even know if he actually exists.
Both are chosen for a practice match, the girl is a starter, the guy is benched. He kinda resents her for this.
On the day of the practice match, the girl is really nervous and is pretty much useless during the first half of the game, after that he goes to her and tells her "You're way better than this!", she confesses that she has a big stage fright and that she'd like the guy with the app to move her like if it were a videogame.
The guy thinks a bit, notices he loves her during that, and decides to spank her using the app to "wake her up", after that she becomes the star of the day.
They go back home together and she starts talking about how she'd like to thank the app's user and so on, to which he only says "that guy must be satisfied just knowing he could help" and things like that, she then takes his hand and thanks him directly.
And after that there's some more bits of tolove-ru (first series)-like fanservice comedy to end it.
I'm aware that many things in the setting will probably change, but I think the overall functionality of the app won't, and as long as that happens I think this will be pure romcom just as the oneshot
Wow, after seeing the summary I have a feeling I'm not going to like this series. Sounds a bit too wishfullfillment-y and the MC doesn't get caught out at the end for using the app. :(

Well, I didn't read the one shot for I Shoujo, so I'm not really too sure.

But, aren't Medaka Box and Kiruko-san also focus on the male lead's perspective? If you think it is, then aren't those two series make the series with male lead characters?
Well, with Medaka Box, the story definitely revolved around Medaka, but we always got an "outsider looking in" perspective, if that makes sense. And then Zenkichi got more development and screentime too. But with Medaka she was the true MC, even if she wasn't there for stretches at a time. I can't say with Kiruko-san because I didn't read that far.

With iShoujo it looks like the fried-egg girl is more of a mascot, and the real MC is standing behind her looking perpexed.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
With iShoujo it looks like the fried-egg girl is more of a mascot, and the real MC is standing behind her looking perpexed.
Well, we really can't determne to say that until we actually see the chapter.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
If It were Illegal Rare, then the end of this weeks English Shonen Jump would have teased it and etc. Being that they didnt, I think it is reasonable to conclude that Illegal Rare is not the one picked up.

Though to counter my point, one could argue that they could get it and give us two or so chapters in the issue immediately following colour dragonballs ending.

I think they might take a chance with TWB and give another sports series a chance...

Viz can be somewhat unpredictable. They may just surprise us and give us more than one chapter, like you say.

They may decide to go gung ho and do another sport series, knowing them. Seems like a risky move though, for more than one reason.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

46. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #7 (17,212 / 617,817)
 

arsg

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, after seeing the summary I have a feeling I'm not going to like this series. Sounds a bit too wishfullfillment-y and the MC doesn't get caught out at the end for using the app. :(
It's definitely a creepy premise.
 

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
I just reread the oneshot and here's a detailed summary
Main guy is in soccer club and listens to senpai's girlfriend talk about a cursed app that lets you control the person you love.
A girl that's just how he likes them transfers to his school, she plays soccer, and, as there's no girls soccer club, she plays in the boys club.
Because of that the teacher seats her next to him and asks him to take care of her. He gets nervous because of her looks and spanks him for him to man up, the girl has a kansai-ben-ish accent.
After a month of practicing the girl shows how good she is and she's actually better than our main guy.
The guy fells for her but doesn't want to accept it and in his frustration from always losing to her he ends up getting the cursed app in his phone.
The app has the girl on screen and whatever he does to her on screen will happen to the real her.
After testing the app (in a somewhat perverted way) he notices it actually works.
After that, he takes a bug from the girl's chest and saves her from falling some stairs (well, he just made her fall in some bushes instead of the ground) using the app.
Because of those events, the girl starts believing that it's not a cursed app but an app of "love" and starts falling for the user that she doesn't even know if he actually exists.
Both are chosen for a practice match, the girl is a starter, the guy is benched. He kinda resents her for this.
On the day of the practice match, the girl is really nervous and is pretty much useless during the first half of the game, after that he goes to her and tells her "You're way better than this!", she confesses that she has a big stage fright and that she'd like the guy with the app to move her like if it were a videogame.
The guy thinks a bit, notices he loves her during that, and decides to spank her using the app to "wake her up", after that she becomes the star of the day.
They go back home together and she starts talking about how she'd like to thank the app's user and so on, to which he only says "that guy must be satisfied just knowing he could help" and things like that, she then takes his hand and thanks him directly.
And after that there's some more bits of tolove-ru (first series)-like fanservice comedy to end it.
I'm aware that many things in the setting will probably change, but I think the overall functionality of the app won't, and as long as that happens I think this will be pure romcom just as the oneshot
Gotta link to the oneshot?
 

Greco

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
83
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone have Shokugeki no Soma's CP?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,075
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just want a bag, looks great, especially Yuma's. (v4 seems to still be doing great in that daily list, top 5 (SN: also Twin Star Exorcists too)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I didn't read the one shot for I Shoujo, so I'm not really too sure.

But, aren't Medaka Box and Kiruko-san also focus on the male lead's perspective? If you think it is, then aren't those two series make the series with male lead characters?
The format of how Medaka Box and Killco-san read was totally focused on the male character's perspectives, BUT they weren't the main characters. It's a common thing in fiction, to use a deuteragonist, a secondary-character through which we can project ourselves onto as a lens to view the protagonist.

If you want a single-gendered example: Manta was totally the perspective character of Shaman King, at least early on, but he wasn't even slightly the main character. Medaka Box's Zenkichi and Killco-san's Anjo are basically like that, but with their lens being focused on female leads.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
What is with the habit of making judgments WAY too prematurely? Even if you happened to read the oneshot, you can't really make your mind up until you actually read the thing...lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top