I've just read Stealth Symphony. To be honest, it just feels like another Iron Knight. Sure, the main character has an end goal and a role model this time around, but it's ultimately just another kid with a curse that turns him into a monster he has to control to earn the respect of the general public, who, yet again, are dumbed down to the point of gullible, irrational ignorance.
I'm also concerned about this manga's reliance on cheap symbols to try to give the manga its identity, such as Jig's
Idiot Hair and Troma's goofy mask that obviously can't be hiding any deep secrets from the wearer.
Also, this
Broken Pedestal reveal is even worse than Bulge's. There's practically no time given to provide a sufficient background to the reader behind this orphanage director we're supposed to trust, so there's not much of a reason for the reader to be mindblown when Jakking reveals the bitter truth to Jig about him.
I actually like seeing a large variety of characters in a series, but not when they're all introduced in one go, as in this case. It's something I've always seen done gradually, when it comes to manga. And it's not just the characters that seem to be rushed for introduction. The story itself seems to be doing the same thing; there's just too much stuff going on, it's hard to focus on the bigger picture about Jig trying to remove his curse. Jump is definitely a cutthroat magazine with limited time for each mangaka to try to appeal their series to the readers and editors, but for the mangaka to rush themselves right from the start might be setting themselves up for failure. I feel like I'm reading World Trigger on fast forward.
When I try to predict whether a manga succeeds in WSJ, the one main factor I take into account is how well thought-out it is. Unfortunately, I can't say Stealth Symphony is one of those titles if it immediately reminds me of Iron Knight and Bulge.
Bottom line: I'm just not getting a good first impression of the series.