Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
They do what they should do a volleyball court, the author do this very well by the way; what do you expect from the manga which isn't being done?
It's more than just the sport dude. It's the writing. A good writer is able to make typical tropes seem fresh and interesting. Take Nanatsu no Taizai and Yowamushi Pedal for example; both are technically generic and by the numbers, yet despite that they are very well written so the characters and atmosphere make it feel incredibly fresh and fun. Haikyuu just doesn't have that for me and neither does Nisekoi, when I read them I feel like I've just read it all before but done much better. I mean I can read a similar arc in several different manga and have no problem with it as long as it stand-outs to me in some way.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Haikyuu is a sports manga that is being less generic then other sports manga have been in WSJ. You can not compare it with ES21 but it is quite refreshing as latter one, but on its own way.

The character design and art is quite different. You like it or you dislike it but once you get adapted, the art is really nice. Its story premise is generic but can you blame a sports manga that? It is the story telling that counts and Haikyuu's story and character development are truly great. Tsukisama's character development is quite amazing. The pace of the story is cool too, I loved that training camp arc, it was a great team development.

Haikyuu FTW
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shoujo and shonen aren't genres.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------



It's quirky and feels both fresh and comfy.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------



Seriously dude? I love sports series so no, I don't expect them to have a sword fight to make it "original". I just think that the characters and story of Haikyuu are incredibly by the numbers and don't do anything that hasn't been done before (and better) countless times.

Also, last I checked, stating an opinion on a series is not an insult to the fanbase or mangaka.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------



Check out Last Inning, Yowamushi Pedal, and Diamond no Ace.
I consider all of those MUCH better than Haikyuu!
Especially Yowamushi Pedal, it's one of my favorite reads out of all the series I'm reading.
Yowamushi Pedals art is an awful, Im so glad the anime fixed the writers art style as the excessively pointy and thin characters and faces was too terrible (my Imaizumi for example). Yowapeda has writing issues simply making Onoda unrealistic, still baffling how the writer thought treating teshima and aoyagi that way before interhighs was good writing.

I like Ace of Diamond second only to Oofuri for most focused and fun baseball series.

Haikyuu!! Has the tighest, best paced, and most intriguing cast of characters and it does something so few series do, it keeps antagonists feeling relevant and not just forgotten after their introduction (nekoma, aobajosai). Additionally numerous well drawn characters, great mix of telling the rules, and focus on developing the whole team takes place, and its hilarious.Its definitely the most definitive sports manga jump has ever run and once animated it will join the ranks of Free! As the sports series that every other series will try to strive to be.
 
Last edited:

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haikyuu is a sports manga that is being less generic then other sports manga have been in WSJ. You can not compare it with ES21 but it is quite refreshing as latter one, but on its own way.

The character design and art is quite different. You like it or you dislike it but once you get adapted, the art is really nice. Its story premise is generic but can you blame a sports manga that? It is the story telling that counts and Haikyuu's story and character development are truly great. Tsukisama's character development is quite amazing. The pace of the story is cool too, I loved that training camp arc, it was a great team development.

Haikyuu FTW
The character designs are pretty great and have personality to them. It's one of the essentials to have a non popular sports manga to survive. That rugby manga 11 had that, but it didn't survive.
 

Netorare

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2012
Messages
225
Reaction score
260
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
onoda from yowamushi pedal is unrealistic but hinata from haikyuu isn't? haha
the art also isn't awful, it's simply different and outstanding
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
onoda from yowamushi pedal is unrealistic but hinata from haikyuu isn't? haha
the art also isn't awful, it's simply different and outstanding
For me, it really isn't that bad; but, I think it possibly be weird for people who see those two series for the first time. Once you get used to it, it really isn't that bad artwork.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
this whole debate is kind of redundant, relying on subjective views on the various hard to define traits of entertainment. IF you like such and such, and don't like such and such, THAT'S FINE. And vice versa. But isn't this just getting tired? C'mon, positive thoughts, nerds.

Let's talk about... I dunno. How are you all feeling about the current line-up of Jump titles. Are you satisfied with the genre spread, or is there a certain type of series you're hoping will come into the anthology this year?
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
@Rica_Patin did I say they were? Being different demographics they focus on different aspects, cat street is actually one of my favorite manga ever, but you are comparing one series that focus on being a Comedy character driven by its harem with one drama that you typically see on shoujo manga.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
this whole debate is kind of redundant, relying on subjective views on the various hard to define traits of entertainment. IF you like such and such, and don't like such and such, THAT'S FINE. And vice versa. But isn't this just getting tired? C'mon, positive thoughts, nerds.

Let's talk about... I dunno. How are you all feeling about the current line-up of Jump titles. Are you satisfied with the genre spread, or is there a certain type of series you're hoping will come into the anthology this year?
Yeah, but I think people are more interested on talking about the negative ones (like which series going to get cancelled or I don't like this series because of such and such reasons) than the positive ones. :p
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I like the current line up, would like too see psyren, sket dance and reborn mangaka join in the future tho
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, but I think people are more interested on talking about the negative ones (like which series going to get cancelled or I don't like this series because of such and such reasons) than the positive ones. :p
There is no positive ones, even if we talk about One Piece, there will be people who will say that want to see it cancelled.

I'm completely satisfied with Jump's line up right now, various genres and different stories to entertain pratically everybody. The last round of new series was particularly good; Illegal Rare is great, Stealth Symphony, good. iShoujo and TWB sounds good, too, but I have to read before saying something.
If all of them made success, it would be hard to tell which series will be cancelled in the near future.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
There is no positive ones, even if we talk about One Piece, there will be people who will say that want to see it cancelled.
Yeah.

For me, I think it is good to have some kind of topic for debate. But, I think the debate about likes/dislikes about Nisekoi and Haikyuu is kind of extreme topic for debate since not many people going to join if it focuses on specific topic and the debate may lead go out of the line (like one person died in this battle :p). So, I think it is better to have debate based on more general topic.
 
Last edited:

Lehran

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
362
Reaction score
493
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Let's talk about... I dunno. How are you all feeling about the current line-up of Jump titles. Are you satisfied with the genre spread, or is there a certain type of series you're hoping will come into the anthology this year?
I really like the current lineup, it's really solid and diverse. I think it's interesting how, except for the five new series that have started this year, all other fifteen current Jump series are strong titles sales-wise. And, even though there are people rooting for all of the new series, I prefer to be more realistic and predict only one out of them will be able to be a long success. iShoujo's premise doesn't really interest me and Iron Knight is doomed, but IMO the other three newbies (IR, SS, TWB) have potential to be very fun reads - I'd be happy with any of them being successful.

I think a nice addition to the magazine in the future would be another comedy - since Sket Dance and Beelzebub ended, Gintama is now the only non-gag comedy title in the magazine (or, as Maxy called it once, situation-driven comedy). On the other hand, the only thing I dislike in the lineup is having Saiki and Isobe at the same time. I know both of them were very well received, but I think one gag series is enough for WSJ - or maybe I'm just being selfish because western readers who don't know Japanese (like me) can't fully enjoy those series. I don't have anything against those two titles, but I'd be happy if one of them didn't take too long to come to a natural end and be replaced by a non-gag manga.
 
Last edited:

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
this whole debate is kind of redundant, relying on subjective views on the various hard to define traits of entertainment. IF you like such and such, and don't like such and such, THAT'S FINE. And vice versa. But isn't this just getting tired? C'mon, positive thoughts, nerds.

Let's talk about... I dunno. How are you all feeling about the current line-up of Jump titles. Are you satisfied with the genre spread, or is there a certain type of series you're hoping will come into the anthology this year?
Lol.
How much longer do you think that Kochikame will go on? The mangaka is 61. Also, is it true that Kochikame has never missed an issue?
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
How much longer do you think that Kochikame will go on? The mangaka is 61.
Mizushima Shinji (author of Dokaben) is 74; yet, he is still serializing in weekly magazine since 1972 (4 years older than Kochikame). So, the age doesn't really matter

Also, is it true that Kochikame has never missed an issue?
Yes.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's talk about... I dunno. How are you all feeling about the current line-up of Jump titles. Are you satisfied with the genre spread, or is there a certain type of series you're hoping will come into the anthology this year?
A third sports series is what the magazine needed. Now I just need another school club series in it, and I would be set on its lineup having appealing titles to me.

Still needs a mecha and a hard sci fi series.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'd like for there to be a new and /good/ battle manga.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
[Cross];3741723 said:
I'd like for there to be a new and /good/ battle manga.
Theres needs to be a moratorium on battle manga, let it rest for awhile and have a new one appear once the major four run their course.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Theres needs to be a moratorium on battle manga, let it rest for awhile and have a new one appear once the major four run their course.
Well that's what I mean, sorta. Once Bleach and Naruto go away at least.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top