Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Is it me or is this movie not having as good a box office as other marvel movies though?
Definitely not as good a box office run as Winter Soldier had( highest grossing of 2014 iirc), but I think for the studio this was a gamble to produce; but one which they advertised and marketed thoroughly. Any grossing that tops their production budget is surely a win in my books, but Marvel had faith in this hero outing, so my guess is they expect big bucks to be rolling in. We're still under 2 weeks since release, so the movie will be buzzing for a while. HERE stats to compare with other Marvel Phase 2 releases. I will be surprised if it gets anywhere near Iron Man 3's numbers but if it can reach Winter Soldier or Dark World, then it'll surely be a success for Marvel.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It hasn't even been released in bug parts of Europe, China, Japan.

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

If you read my comment clearly and carefully, instead of trying to make it like I said something different to support your rebuttal to mine, you'd see that wasn't the point i was making.

1. I'm not blaming anything on Marvel fans for disliking the Ninja Turtles. Your saying that and I'm a Marvel fan, DC fan, Chris Nolan fan as well and still enjoyed the Turtles film. If you want to bash me for that, go right ahead, because it seems like you "have" to like what everyone else likes or dislike what everyone dislikes. I'm not a follower, I like what I like and dislike what I dislike.

2. Where did I say, Chris Nolan "produces" sh*t?. I said, people be on some "Chris Nolan sh*t", when it comes to comparing and criticizing other comic book related films. What I mean by that is, some people want everything to be like "The Dark Knight", which to me, is a lame critique.

3. On that note, I did enjoy Guardians, but you neglected the post I made about that film in this forum on purpose, but whatever.
Don't care what kind of fan you are or if you enjoy bad movies, just admit that they are bad. They are called guilty pleasures for a reason. Of course people will be feel disfavour for a bad attempt at film making, yet you try declare a group of fans as aggressors. Any movie fan should shake his head seeing how such garbage unmeritedly earns so much money.

There is literally nothing good about that character as well as the William Fichtner's character and their depiction. He can shoot metal blades and they return to the exact same place through some magnetism? He produces a double blade and stop using it in favour of some nun-chucks. He is able to stop all of them as it's only Raph going at him, stop them before they even arrive in the laboratory, but that doesn't happen. Doesn't even try to kill anyone, instead uses his fists, when he has 50-70cm blades in every other scene. Why does Sachs run away instead of waiting as Shredder should be able to take care of everything. Why does the footclan shoot their electric harpoons with 100% efficiency when riding down a mountain? Why is there an tunnel from the mountains right to the basement of the Sachs building? Wha.. there is much wrong that I couldn't even start enjoying those few good one-liners that were available.

I rate movies for what they are. TMNT was trying to be action/comedy and it failed as such, in both departments for the majority of the movie. Movies missing great cinematography and writing they won't have a chance to be rated great/masterpiece no matter how entertaining they are. Not sure why a comic bood related book or adaption should be judged in any other way than every other movie.
I expect not to be spit on my face while watching a movie, don't be taken for an idiot, be confronted with logical plot within the movie universe. I just hope that Alan Ritchson will gain any real fame aside from a contract for TMNT2 for his acting here.

___

Seeen The Great Silence with Klaus Kinsi this morning, sadly with the eng dub, but it was still another rather good western. Had the good ending too, but the true ending was so much metter.:gwah Gonna watch Unforgiven next.
 
Last edited:

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's what I'm saying right there. You want me to "agree" with you because majority of the people you talk to and hang out with didn't like the film?. That's lame and you know it. I'm suppose to dislike the film for the same reason you disliked it?. That would make me a follower with no opinion of my own.

And based on that logic, I should automatically agree that any film you, Rotten Tomatoes, Mark Kermode or any other critic that says a movie is bad, I'm suppose to say it's bad too.

You kind of just told on yourself in a way, because now, I'm assuming that every movie you like and dislike is out of some comfort to fit in with everyone else. I hope I'm wrong there, but at least I don't go at people like that for having an opinion.


p.s. the Ninja Turtles film was made by Nickelodeon. Honestly, what kind of turtles film did you expect to go into in the first place?. What kind of film was it suppose to be for you to say it wasn't bad, then...?.

You can p.m. your response if you choose so, no need to clog up the forum with my useless bullsh*t, right. lol.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Please read before you post. You can like whatever you like, even if it's bad, those things are called guilty pleasures. Just don't act as if it was an actual good movie. I've seen enough B and other garbage movies in my life, in the hundreds most likely, to know that weird stuff can be enjoyed.

I didn't expect much and it failed at even the low standards I have set for myself. The Nick cartoon at least is enjoyable and doesn't have freaks of nature as the protagonists.

And why do you keep mentioning critics, movie sites or my friends that you have absolutely no knowledge of. I'm giving you my opinion, not something else's.
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, got a question here. Why does it seem like there is a gap between movies with good reviews and movies that make a ton of money? Specially over the last couple of years it seems like movies that everyone hates are making way more money than a bad movie should and movies which are loved by everyone seem to be making remarkably few dollars. Just look at the transformer movies, the new spiderman movies, guardians of the galaxy which are more recent examples. Every transformers movie has had remarkably poor reviews and the internet screams in pain as if michael bay was constantly raping their childhoods retroactively however each transformer movie has made a ton of money. Age of extinction is the second most successful transformer film so far with dark of the moon being the most successful one. In turn the first movie which had almost mediocre reviews made the least money. Then we have spiderman movies. None of them have been quite as succesful as any of the sam reimi movies but they have still made an insane amount of money. Spiderman 3 is widely regarded as a failure however it seems to have the most successful box office. Then we get to guardians of the galaxy. I would think it is the best marvel movie to date and perhaps its best reviewed one and so far it does not seem like it will come close to the box office performance of other marvel movies (way short of the similarly reviewed avengers, short of iron man 3 whose reviews were not bad but also not quite as good). The second thor movie is the worst reviewed film in the franchise and so far (we still have to see if guardians can catch up) it has a good standing when it comes to box office performance. The incredible hulk was said to be a much better hulk movie than the first one yet it made the same amount of money.

So.... what up?
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Ok, got a question here. Why does it seem like there is a gap between movies with good reviews and movies that make a ton of money? Specially over the last couple of years it seems like movies that everyone hates are making way more money than a bad movie should and movies which are loved by everyone seem to be making remarkably few dollars. Just look at the transformer movies, the new spiderman movies, guardians of the galaxy which are more recent examples. Every transformers movie has had remarkably poor reviews and the internet screams in pain as if michael bay was constantly raping their childhoods retroactively however each transformer movie has made a ton of money. Age of extinction is the second most successful transformer film so far with dark of the moon being the most successful one. In turn the first movie which had almost mediocre reviews made the least money. Then we have spiderman movies. None of them have been quite as succesful as any of the sam reimi movies but they have still made an insane amount of money. Spiderman 3 is widely regarded as a failure however it seems to have the most successful box office. Then we get to guardians of the galaxy. I would think it is the best marvel movie to date and perhaps its best reviewed one and so far it does not seem like it will come close to the box office performance of other marvel movies (way short of the similarly reviewed avengers, short of iron man 3 whose reviews were not bad but also not quite as good). The second thor movie is the worst reviewed film in the franchise and so far (we still have to see if guardians can catch up) it has a good standing when it comes to box office performance. The incredible hulk was said to be a much better hulk movie than the first one yet it made the same amount of money.

So.... what up?
Because people don´t have high standards, is that news to you? As long as you have explosions and some muscles/tits to see, people are content, that´s what blockbusters are about, not to forget that marketing is a big plus as well. A better promoted but bad movie will always beat a good but badly promoted one in regards to the box office.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The marketing thing makes a lot of sense. But then, I thought about people just having low standards and whatnot and while it sounds obvious when thinking about it it also seemed like the easy, perhaps even lazy answer. In hindsight the implication is that humanity collectively agreed that awful things are awesome. Then there is also the consideration that many things we see today as fancy and whatnot were at their conception perceived as being for the masses and vulgar. Its a cycle so to speak...
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
The marketing thing makes a lot of sense. But then, I thought about people just having low standards and whatnot and while it sounds obvious when thinking about it it also seemed like the easy, perhaps even lazy answer. In hindsight the implication is that humanity collectively agreed that awful things are awesome. Then there is also the consideration that many things we see today as fancy and whatnot were at their conception perceived as being for the masses and vulgar. Its a cycle so to speak...
Well, for me they are awful movies but it really depends on your viewpoint and purpose, doesn´t it? Most people going to the cinema just want to be entertained and usually, blockbusters suffice for that purpose, no matter how good or bad they are as movies. People just want to turn off their head for 120 minutes and want to be distracted from their everyday problems. Besides, most don´t take "movies" serious anyway, i tend to do so though, maybe too much even, which is why blockbusters, even movies like Winter Soldier which seems to be critically acclaimed but would get a 7 from me, are rarely on my watch-list.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Well, for me they are awful movies but it really depends on your viewpoint and purpose, doesn´t it? Most people going to the cinema just want to be entertained and usually, blockbusters suffice for that purpose, no matter how good or bad they are as movies. People just want to turn off their head for 120 minutes and want to be distracted from their everyday problems. Besides, most don´t take "movies" serious anyway, i tend to do so though, maybe too much even, which is why blockbusters, even movies like Winter Soldier which seems to be critically acclaimed but would get a 7 from me, are rarely on my watch-list.
I'm entering the movie theatre with my brain turned to off. I gladly admit it. What I want is explosions, comedy, special effects and think as less as possible. The movie I enjoyed the most in a movie theatre is Expendables 2. Why ? Because I was with friends and we couldn't stop laughing at how over the top it was. We had a good time, it's not a great movie, we knew it but we had fun.

I can enjoy smart movies but I'm not going to the movie theatre for them, I'm watching those alone on my tv screen which is more than enough to appreciate everything about it. Honestly, if there is no special effects, I really don't see the point in watching it elsewhere than home.

Now, I really can't stand people who assume that just because you can enjoy brainless television, you are automatically brainless too.

Edit: What I mean by smart movies are things like american beauty (close to be my fav movie along with Fight Club).
 
Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm entering the movie theatre with my brain turned to off. I gladly admit it. What I want is explosions, comedy, special effects and think as less as possible. The movie I enjoyed the most in a movie theatre is Expendables 2. Why ? Because I was with friends and we couldn't stop laughing at how over the top it was. We had a good time, it's not a great movie, we knew it but we had fun.

I can enjoy smart movies but I'm not going to the movie theatre for them, I'm watching those alone on my tv screen which is more than enough to appreciate everything about it. Honestly, if there is no special effects, I really don't see the point in watching it elsewhere than home.

Now, I really can't stand people who assume that just because you can enjoy brainless television, you are automatically brainless too.

Edit: What I mean by smart movies are things like american beauty (close to be my fav movie along with Fight Club).
If this was directed at me, i never really said that, though i can´t deny that there are actually a lot of people like that but obviously don´t have to be. Once in a while, i enjoy a blockbuster as well because it is superficial fun, depending on the movie, but for me, real cinema is still something else (btw, American Hustle was horrible). I tend to look mostly outside of Hollywood if i want to watch what i considering significant cinema but i guess i can only do that because i don´t mind to watch subbed stuff. If i think back of the last 15 years, my favorite movies are mostly either from Europe or Asia since, except China, the market is not nearly as big as the one Hollywood is aiming at which results in more innovation and creative freedom. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it does not though.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Not directed at you but it s something i heard often.

And I removed my comment towards american hustle because it was just off subject and i already said enough about this movie.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I'm entering the movie theatre with my brain turned to off. I gladly admit it. What I want is explosions, comedy, special effects and think as less as possible. The movie I enjoyed the most in a movie theatre is Expendables 2. Why ? Because I was with friends and we couldn't stop laughing at how over the top it was. We had a good time, it's not a great movie, we knew it but we had fun.

I can enjoy smart movies but I'm not going to the movie theatre for them, I'm watching those alone on my tv screen which is more than enough to appreciate everything about it. Honestly, if there is no special effects, I really don't see the point in watching it elsewhere than home.

Now, I really can't stand people who assume that just because you can enjoy brainless television, you are automatically brainless too.

Edit: What I mean by smart movies are things like american beauty (close to be my fav movie along with Fight Club).
I am somewhat like that too. For me and my friends going the movies on sundays is a customary thing by now, we usually go see whatever is available. We usually enjoy even terrible movies because we end up making jokes about it the whole time. The more terrible the movie is, the more we joke around in a way. Occasionally I get the mild impression people hate us because we end up laughing at grossly inappropriate times and just ruin the mood. I can't remember which movie it was but not too long ago someone in the movie we were watching tragically died and my entire group was laughing almost hysterically....
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I watched the critically acclaimed Boyhood by Richard Linklater, whose Before-trilogy belongs to one of my favorite movies, and i gotta say that i am disappointed. Interesting gimmick of shooting the same actors over a period of 12 years but other than that, there is nothing noteworthy about the movie.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Finally watched GotG and I had maybe expectations a little too high but my expectations were mostly met. This is why marvel movies are far more successful than DC movies, they can go nuts, there is no limit. Marvel movies are talking to the kid in me.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Watched Welcome to the Dollhouse directed by Todd Solondz, got into these sort of movies like this and the Ice Storm previously while watching the Siskel and Ebert show, the film critics that thumb up or down movies they liked and disliked, they do take a very nice approach as criticism is important to me when going into a film, they don't try to push or look down upon any of the movies, but they sure do back the stuff they liked with good argumentation, as in they capture the theme of the movie very well that makes me watch it.

The dollhouse may seem as a regular setting of a teenage girl that has bully issues, but soon develops into this deconstruction of it's characters, a similar family drama to the Ice Storm with more comedy in between, far from a happy movie tho, characters are ones you can relate to and it's easily a forgotten masterpiece imo.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Watched Welcome to the Dollhouse directed by Todd Solondz, got into these sort of movies like this and the Ice Storm previously while watching the Siskel and Ebert show, the film critics that thumb up or down movies they liked and disliked, they do take a very nice approach as criticism is important to me when going into a film, they don't try to push or look down upon any of the movies, but they sure do back the stuff they liked with good argumentation, as in they capture the theme of the movie very well that makes me watch it.

The dollhouse may seem as a regular setting of a teenage girl that has bully issues, but soon develops into this deconstruction of it's characters, a similar family drama to the Ice Storm with more comedy in between, far from a happy movie tho, characters are ones you can relate to and it's easily a forgotten masterpiece imo.
You seem to be a fan of those colorful 90´s comedies, right?
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
People are drawn to familiarity. They don't care whether Guardians is a far superior film in the same "blockbuster" category. They know Transformers suck but because they are familiar with the universe, have invested in it by watching the old movies and all that, they are drawn to that. Sequels have free marketing in that sense. Guardians is a completely new concept which people are not familiar with. It's not even a popular group or hero, like say Spiderman. If there were NO Spiderman movies out yet, and the first came out now, people would still get heavily drawn to it because Spiderman is a popular super hero through the ages and familiar to the masses. Guardians is too "new/unique". It doesn't exactly help Guardians that their trailers were rather lackluster, almost awkward on top of all this. I am a massive fan of the movie after watching it, but even I was like "I believe this movie is going to be great, but damn I got to admit the trailers weren't very good".

The same can be said about big names. Guardians have no big names. Another HUGE negative factor for mass appeal. There's no Robert Downey Jr. or Brad Pitt to draw free masses there. There's no "Made by the director of the Dark Knight Trilogy - Chris Nolan" etc either. It's too new in every sense.
 
Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
You seem to be a fan of those colorful 90´s comedies, right?
I am, I would consider myself a kid of the 90s as much as I am a kid of the 00s, these movies are relatable to me as I can remember seeing stuff form when I first got a television set and a remote to control all by myself when I was 6 years old. :XD

Plus I like how pop culture is depicted in those movies, the 90s represent the end of a bigger hipster subculture that sprung out of the 80s and many American films have given a go in portraying it.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Pretty dull movie all around, nonsensical characters going OoC due to overly comedic plot. Its almost like the writer was just trying to throw bad joke after bad joke to extend the movie playtime. Sadly this meant the serious and actually interesting story was overshadowed and greatly downplayed essentially forgotten due to the numerous comedy moments. Most werent even funny sadly as they were just repetitions from the start as no character developed ever. Will only see the sequel just for whatever/whoever Thanos is and what not.

Amazing Spiderman 2 and Transformers 4 remain the best franchise based movies of this year.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Amazing Spiderman 2 and Transformers 4 remain the best franchise based movies of this year.
You've go to be trolling, right? Those two are the biggest pile of shit I've had to endure in recent years, the new turtles excluded. If anything, those three are the trifecta of bad franchise movies in 2014.

Your taste in movies is really bad. :teehee
 
Top