Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

calimike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
347
Reaction score
417
Gender
Male
Country
United States
 
Last edited by a moderator:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
No, i was not reading it wrong, maybe you missed the part where i said that the manga is great, but he always had much more potential for battle shounen, and in fact the popularity started to drop when was one of the comedy arcs. Isn't like Gintama, compared with Beelzebub, Gintama is much more for gag, than Beelzebub for comedy, while Gintama can survive for ten years having much more gag arcs than battle, Beelzebub no, battle was since the begining a important part of the manga. Like i said before, Beelzebub comedy was great, but sometimes was too much or poorly balanced with the plot and battle arcs, and seeing what happened with the manga, seems like the readers agree.
Actually no. Beelzebub's strength was the comedy. The ranks went down the moment things got even a little serious. Tamura's only mistake was making it too much like a regular battle-manga instead of focusing more on the strength of the manga, the comedy.
That said, it's still such a great read. Baby Beel was such a unique character and the comic scenes with Furuichi were remarkable. I really hope Tamura manages to top Beel.

It is strange, given the fact that his first volume is selling well and its position in the TOC are great, I would have put it beside Souma or in a more central position at least.
Well, the magazine is now showing Toriko as it's number 2 even with the huge decline in sales and declining ranks. I just think they are waiting for the series to hit a certain milestone before deciding to give it a better position in such covers.
 
Last edited:

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Tamura's action is generic at best and dull at worst. If I want some actually good yankee fights to read, there is always Shonen Champion.

Comedy is what Tamura excelled in and actually what he made him popular. His was a different brand from Sorachi or Usuta, but just as appealing and diverse. Comedy was his obvious strength, so hopefully he has learned well from Beelzebub and will find a better balance between the elements of his next manga.

Which I am really looking forward to, by the way.
 

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
What mistakes did Beelzebub have? I have it in my top five of jump for it was quite definitive. I only regret starting it in the year it ended up ending :(
The thing is that some people will like something and others not. Neither are at fault, it is only life.

About Beelzebub the comedy was the best, but I did like some of the serious arcs.
One of the things that annoyed me was all that shipping teases with Hilda and Aoi. If you are not going to resolve it in the end then don't do it at all. Many shounen are like this, the main lead is in love with a girl but this romantic subplot will never be resolved or will be rushed with a bad conclusion. And don't tell me that it is because of the genre, many shounen had romance and some author resolved it well.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And don't forget the entrance of the best girl, Yachi Hitoka, let's not talk only about the boys :3c
I could never forget villager B, plus she's like Hinata's best nonromantic friend headcanon
 

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
I could never forget villager B, plus she's like Hinata's best nonromantic friend headcanon
All Hinata's friends are non romantic in canon because they are his teammates (doujinshi are fanmade things you know). Haikyuu!! is a sport manga and romance is not the main focus, but if the author would hypothetically add a love interest for Hinata then Yachi is the most possible choice. But it is a bit off topic here so I will reply in the Haikyuu!! thread if you still want to discuss about it.
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Many shounen are like this, the main lead is in love with a girl but this romantic subplot will never be resolved or will be rushed with a bad conclusion.
Don't know why this always happens. Is it so difficult to write a generic/normaly good romance ending for those pairs. Even mangakas have their favourit pairings and letting them unresolved just to no enraged other female chars fans sounds silly.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shounen mangas that are not romance tends to make a Harem around the main character and then let everything unsolved in the end. It is not the main focus of the series, so why make a harem around characters and let the readers suspended? Really, if they will not solve it, let romance for romance mangas, don't touch in the subject.

On the other hand, romance manga MUST(!) choose one girl to pair with the main guy. A romance series that ends without this is a incomplete romance series.
 
Last edited:

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I miss Masakazu Katsura.
Good romances and wonderful asses.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Is there anyway for me to send my feedback to mangaka?
Now, I am having some questions to ask the mangaka.
If you look at the back of a manga volume, there should be a postal address as to where you can send your feedback/fanmail. If you know Japanese, and are prepared to pay for the postage, I think its pretty straightforward?

About Beelzebub the comedy was the best, but I did like some of the serious arcs.
One of the things that annoyed me was all that shipping teases with Hilda and Aoi. If you are not going to resolve it in the end then don't do it at all. Many shounen are like this, the main lead is in love with a girl but this romantic subplot will never be resolved or will be rushed with a bad conclusion. And don't tell me that it is because of the genre, many shounen had romance and some author resolved it well.
I agree! Easily one of the most groan-worthy parts of Beelzebub. Tamura definitely banked on shippers' expectations, and I think that was a little mean of him since he ended the manga on a bromantic note. Especially since he later said Oga has no interest in relationships if its not fighting other boys. Hopefully, he will correct that fanbaiting habit in his next work.

I'm derailing the topic. :sweat

Man I am loving how dressed up the editors are. :lmao I'd love to attend, all the Assassination Classroom stuff is phenomenal. Especially the ball pit!

 
Last edited by a moderator:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seraph, assassination classroom, food wars, and kurobas, such a strong season for jump, even moreso including, naruto, one piece, yugioh arc v.

I need the jump to spring button now (also utapri3)
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Seraph, assassination classroom, food wars, and kurobas, such a strong season for jump, even moreso including, naruto, one piece, yugioh arc v.

I need the jump to spring button now (also utapri3)
and including as well World Trigger and Dragon Ball Kai: Bu Saga!

Also what if Haikyuu!! Season 2 ends up being a spring anime as well?
 

BobLeNolife

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
94
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm more curious about the Nisekoi S2 airing date.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
and including as well World Trigger and Dragon Ball Kai: Bu Saga!

Also what if Haikyuu!! Season 2 ends up being a spring anime as well?
I dont see how production ig could do haikyuu and kurobas in the same season.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I dont see how production ig could do haikyuu and kurobas in the same season.
Probably Haikyuu! will come in Summer or Fall, that is true. But at Spring Kuroko no Basket will be in its 2nd cour, they could very well connect the end of Kuroko no Basket 3rd season and the beginning of Haikyuu 2nd season.

Where the nisekoi anime will air is also an interesting question.

How many cours do you think this season of Kuroko no Basket will have? I will guess that 3.
 

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
Probably Haikyuu! will come in Summer or Fall, that is true. But at Spring Kuroko no Basket will be in its 2nd cour, they could very well connect the end of Kuroko no Basket 3rd season and the beginning of Haikyuu 2nd season.

Where the nisekoi anime will air is also an interesting question.

How many cours do you think this season of Kuroko no Basket will have? I will guess that 3.
I think that ig will wait till kuroko is done before airing Haikyuu!! because they have the same target and DVD/BD sales could get split.

3 cours would be the best for the amount of manga that they have to adapt but they will probably rush it like in the last half of s 2.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top