Discussion - Lucy's Star Dress | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Lucy's Star Dress

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Star dress is when Lucy gains the power of her Spirits and also their clothing style like a re quip. I initially thought that the first time she used it was in Leo's form after the TS but during tartaros battles when she summoned the spirit king, he granted her the ability to use Aquarius' magic in a similar way and her appearance changed as well so that was actually her first time of using Star Dress and she was a lot more powerful then.

What I'm interested in though, is why she can do it by herself now? It seemed like a special thing when the Spirit king bestowed the power on her. Also, could it be that she needed the spirit king to do it first before she could do it herself or was it just an ability she didn't know was possible or couldn't execute for some reason? This is a bit reminiscent of Dragon force which always needed external stimuli until GMG when we found Sting/Rogue could use it at will and Natsu later reproduced this against Mard Geer.
You can also discuss the Star Dress Potential here.

DemonKing888

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Stardress was given to her the same way, Urano Metria was. at first someone give it to her followed by her learning how to do it herself. Alot of people don't give Lucy the credit she due, she's one of the smartest people in fairy tail so she could of maybe unlocked this power after Spirit King let her borrow Aquarius's power she just learn how to mimic and master the ability. As for what she can really do I can't wait to see. I believe Stardress is exclusive to Lucy only, because it would of been hinted at if other Celestial mages could do it.

Taurus form would be bad-ass to see, I can just picture her wielding a battle ax twice her size. It's kind of a disappointment that she doesn't have Pisces and Libra, sorry to say it but (please die or retire Yukino) Also I'll be kind of pissed off if Yukino just gets this power out of no where, because I believe Lucy should be the strongest Celestial Mage by now.

What kind of ability would she get from Cancer? Other then the fact that he cuts hair, I always picture him being the fastest spirit.

Last edited:

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Yeah there could be speed for cancer. I wonder if she'll eventually be able to use star dress with different spirits eg using Leo and vergo or something. That would really boost her battle prowess.
Well for sometime now, I've considered Lucy the most talented celestial spirit mage at least. She seems to be a pace setter tbh. I dunno about strongest since her spirits don't always seem that powerful save a few. However, she has majority of the gold keys so that counts for something.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dunno about strongest since her spirits don't always seem that powerful save a few.
My only complaint with the Spirits is that they sometimes seem like one trick ponies, when really they should be capable of more. look at some Anime only filler attacks

The Spirits could have some more versatility in their magic just like they sometimes do in fillers.

Like how about Sagittarius have some bomb or poison arrows. ideas like that, Lucy can only be as strong as her Spirits are. If they grew stronger Lucy's Stardress would reflect that growth making her a better fighter.

Erza needs a friendly rival:teehee

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

In fact I would like to see Erza train Lucy

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
My only complaint with the Spirits is that they sometimes seem like one trick ponies, when really they should be capable of more. look at some Anime only filler attacks

The Spirits could have some more versatility in their magic just like they sometimes do in fillers.

Like how about Sagittarius have some bomb or poison arrows. ideas like that, Lucy can only be as strong as her Spirits are. If they grew stronger Lucy's Stardress would reflect that growth making her a better fighter.
Yeah, the spirits don't seem to have much to them although I think it has been said that they're as strong as Lucy's magic allows? If she gets stronger, they could become more powerful as well.

Erza needs a friendly rival :teehee

lol, well that could happen. It'll help Lucy a lot.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, the spirits don't seem to have much to them although I think it has been said that they're as strong as Lucy's magic allows? If she gets stronger, they could become more powerful as well.
True that was clearly stated a while back, but let the Spirits them self haven't shown any signs of powering up, while Lucy herself has upgraded a bit.

She could summon 3 Gold key spirits at once, as well as do Urano Metria, and summon the Spirit King before this time skip That's a major upgrade for Lucy.

Her Spirit's should be doing more then just getting man handle like Virgo who got caught easily. Loke was shown to be on pair with Natsu and Grey at the start of the manga But hasn't shown much growth at all after becoming Leo the Loin again. Yea he's still one of Lucy's strongest Spirits but at the same time I couldn't imagine him being on Natsu or Grey's level at this point in the manga.

I guess I could just be spoiled after reading Naruto but I feel like the Spirits should be at a level right now that they could do a bit more then just Virgo digging holes or Sagittarius just shooting normal arrows.

But I guess we just got to wait and see what Lucy and her Spirits can really do in a major fight like the Vs Tartarus which hands down was one of the best fights I really enjoyed reading.

We should see some double combo's like Lucy and Loke doing a Double Regulus combo or even a triple if you count Gemini's magic.

Rikudobito

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Imagine her using the Celestial Spirit King's power via Star Dress. Maybe this will be what she will be capable of in the final stages of the manga. Perhaps she's going to find a way to summon the CSK without having to break one of her gold keys and ultimately use his power via Star Dress. That would be awesome. :)

I hope that she'll surpass Erza.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, a celestial spirit king key would have to exist although I would imagine that if she does sacrifice a key she could use the clothes of the spirit king. What I want to see is how she works with her spirits now. The synergy and combinations now should be much greater than before. I guess the question is whether she can wear a dress from a spirit while summoning other spirits. She would be able to use the powers of 3 spirits with only 2 spirits on hand. I want to see how gemini works too...

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gemini could allow her to summon two spirits and do two stardress at once just by transforming into her.

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to see Stardress Crux given he is an expert on Celestial spirit magic and dealings. Thus if Lucy can use his stardress she will gain access to new celestial spirit knowledge even being able to locate new celestial spirit keys. I also want to see Stardress Gemini, Draco, Phoenix, hydra, Cassiopeia, Andromeda, Hercules, Perseus, Mensa, Aquila and Fornax. Also Eridanus.

Stardress Draco would make her into somewhat of a dragon slayer, without years of training. She would have powers similar to Natsu and the other Dragon slayers.She won't have Dragon force but she would have an actual Dragon to summon which would be so much better. Also with Gemini you would have 2 Dragon Slayers and a Dragon. Stardress Hydra would be similar given a Hydra is a water Dragon.

Stardress Serpens would be cool because she would be similar to Cobra in which she would be immune to Poison and dishout poison just like him. She would also have a snake like Cubleuis aka kina.

Stardress Aquila would be awesome because she would be similar to Orga and laxus using lightning magic. I would assume she would also gain some flight ability allowing her to fly like Laxus probably giving her a better ability to fly.

Stardress Mensa would be like giving her powers similar to Azuma. Stardress Antila gives her powers similar to Wendy, chelia or Erigor.

I mean there is many different stardress and spirits I want to see from Lucy. I really want to see more spirits though. I think saggita is really needed given that would greatly compliment Sagittarius ability as an archer given that Sagitta is the arrow constellation.

I weld love to see stardress lupus which is the rabbit constellation and rabbits are usually associated with speed so I think it would give her a similar ability to Racer.

Stardress phoenix and stardress fornax would also be good especially for those Nalu shippers. I also wouldn't mind a stardress Sculpture for those Graylu shippers like me.

I mean so many stardress options and if she can combine keys within her stardress she has gained even more different combination options. Stardress CSK would be cool but I also want other celestial spirits and I am pretty sure the King can get a key made just like all the other Keys were made. Just like somebody made the zodiac keys I am pretty sure some one could make the celestial spirit King key. For this situation those would be the prefect time to use Stardress Crux. I mean she could just summon him and ask him but the problem with that is that he might be unable to say due to rules but it is in the archives but if Lucy uses the stardress than she can get the information directly.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
That would be nice if Lucy did get some training from another character like Erza. She could use it so she can get up there more in battles rather than having to play the second fiddle a lot and have to be the damsel in distress every now and again. If she has the stardress, we shouldn't see her be helpless in battle anymore as she has been depicted a few times, and some training from someone like Erza will bury that role for good.

---------- Post added April 20, 2015 at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was April 18, 2015 at 09:15 PM ----------

Well now we've seen yet another version of Lucy's Star Dress, the Taurus version thanks to Chapter 430.
I thought it would be along the lines of skimpy, and for part of it I was right xD
I would've liked to see Lucy wielding maybe a Battle Axe or something to go with it. I presume she gets a boost in strength with that variant of the Star Dress.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a given that a strength boost is what's she got from Taurus, but what I wonder is what kind of moves can she pull off with her whip. Please no more Lucy kicks, sadly we haven't gotten a chance to see Leo and Virgo stardress in a real fight so we really don't know how much power or skills she's learnt from her Spirits.

My biggest worry is that the Stardress skill is more eye-candy then an actual improvement.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's a given that a strength boost is what's she got from Taurus, but what I wonder is what kind of moves can she pull off with her whip. Please no more Lucy kicks, sadly we haven't gotten a chance to see Leo and Virgo stardress in a real fight so we really don't know how much power or skills she's learnt from her Spirits.

My biggest worry is that the Stardress skill is more eye-candy then an actual improvement.
Yeah, the promise was there when we saw here using the Leo form, but after that we haven't seen a lot to suggest its actually going to make her a threat in the eyes of any enemies in the future. If when she had Aquarius' powers and that was actually the Star Dress at work, then we've only seen two forms that are of actual use in battle, and thats kinda disappointing to me.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
That comes right back to my previous post, Aquarius was the only Spirit that got anything down. I wish the other spirits had something that made them a real threat, Because Stardress abilities come from the Spirit's themselves Lucy's is pretty much limited to doing what ever they can do, which kinda goes back to the Spirits only being stronger based on Lucy's level of Magic.

But while Lucy has grown I honestly don't see her Spirits being any stronger. Aquarius was a loose-cannon but she was the only one that seemed to hold her own in a fight, she was a beast, and that's why Lucy's Aquarius form was so powerful.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
That comes right back to my previous post, Aquarius was the only Spirit that got anything down. I wish the other spirits had something that made them a real threat, Because Stardress abilities come from the Spirit's themselves Lucy's is pretty much limited to doing what ever they can do, which kinda goes back to the Spirits only being stronger based on Lucy's level of Magic.

But while Lucy has grown I honestly don't see her Spirits being any stronger. Aquarius was a loose-cannon but she was the only one that seemed to hold her own in a fight, she was a beast, and that's why Lucy's Aquarius form was so powerful.
I think you are underestimating the rest of lucy's spirits (and by extension lucy). Aquarius was definitely the strongest one but I doubt it was by a lot. Plenty of her spirits seem to have comparable magical abilities. During the war against tartarus we even saw lucy hold back several tartarus members with her spirits. leo, virgo and aquarius kept 3 of those guys at bay. Which is a huge accomplishment considering everything. Of course, its not something she could kept up forever but I think it does show the extent of the combat capacity of her spirits is pretty high. Also, lucy herself was the one that basically obliterated jackal. Granted there was some magic exchange there... In context, fried, bixlow and cana were foderized by tempesta. Lucy is insanely powerful, the issue is that her team mates are usually at an even higher level and thus overshadow her. And to be fair, virgo does not even seem to have particularly high combat capacity next to the other spirits she can summon and she still held back a demon. She probably summoned virgo because taurus had already been summoned when fighting franmalth. Anyways, in a one on one fight odds are lucy would be able to even give natsu trouble even if winning if effectively downright impossible. Lucy is an incredibly versatile fighter considering her stardresses and the number of spirits she has and is able to summon at once. Uranometria obliterated jackal, I wouldn't put it past it to actually be able to cause at least severe damage to natsu currently.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
I give you that one, the Spirits did hold their own, I guess may complaint should be more about the fact that Lucy needs more screen time. Honestly She's my favorite female lead out of any Manga at the moment, so I just hope she becomes a bad-ass.

Mangang

Reaction score
Country
India
What is this thread? Its too obvious this star dress is a means for doing fanservice.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well FairyTail has a lot of fanservice on it's own but star dress gives Lucy a number of options in battle. When she used aquarius form in tartaros arc against Jackal, it didn't bring fanservice to mind but rather showed how competent Lucy can be in battle.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well FairyTail has a lot of fanservice on it's own but star dress gives Lucy a number of options in battle. When she used aquarius form in tartaros arc against Jackal, it didn't bring fanservice to mind but rather showed how competent Lucy can be in battle.
Agreed. The Star Dress really isn't meant for fanservice as much as it might seem, but for the user to be able to walk a mile in the celestial spirit's shoes. This was a crucial power-up to Lucy, and while it may provide the odd spot of fanservice, it is still essential to Lucy as part as her growth over the recent time-skip.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Agreed. The Star Dress really isn't meant for fanservice as much as it might seem, but for the user to be able to walk a mile in the celestial spirit's shoes. This was a crucial power-up to Lucy, and while it may provide the odd spot of fanservice, it is still essential to Lucy as part as her growth over the recent time-skip.
Well, lucy has always made a point of fighting alongside her spirits. In that regard the celestial clothes don't necessarily allow for anything "new" in that regard. Which is why she always has a whip with her to attack and defend as well. The clothes are an ideal complement to the stuff she was already doing. She lost her water whip during the tartarus arc so she needed something else that would allow her to fight. This is a significant improvement considering she can add a far more versatile support to her spirits. And it seems the cost of magic of using the clothes is minimal considering they raise her power a bit rather than consume it.