Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I can't believe BLack Clover ripped off Kenshin this week

actually I can believe it
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can't believe BLack Clover ripped off Kenshin this week

actually I can believe it
The correct term is "took inspiration from" not "ripping off."
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because make sucess.

Yeah BLack Clover has everything needed to be a resounding commercial success, great ranks, great publicity, great literary quality, and great jpn and eng support. Its well on its way to performing as well as and better than Hero Academia and more. Getting 80K - 120K is definitely reasonable for it to achieve in its first month sales.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
The Black Clover cover is kinda bland. Too much brown, not enough bright colors. Just meh.
nah, I'm pretty sure plagiarism is considered a rip off
So, it ripped off Naruto, Fairy Tail, Magi, a joke from One Piece & now Kenshin?
I get it, after the cancellation of Hungry Joker Tabata Yuuki wants to play it safe, but this is almost worrisome.
 

Bluenotebook

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
63
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Except when Hungry Joker was serialized people accused it of being a D.Gray Man ripoff. So really, Tabata is doing the same thing but he's not being punished this time.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Except when Hungry Joker was serialized people accused it of being a D.Gray Man ripoff. So really, Tabata is doing the same thing but he's not being punished this time.
Ah, didnt know that, because I've never read D-Gray Man. Kinda interesting to read BC with that in mind now.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not advocating Black Clover, I am not blind and also realize the millions of clichés in the series, however, why so much peeve with the manga? Nobody accuses DanMachi to be a copy of Magi because it has Dungeons, but Black Clover yes. No one accuses Nisekoi to be a copy of Love Hina, and even if this is well known, no one speaks so strongly about Naruto be a copy of Dragon Ball (a pervert sensei, a rival/friend who wears blue and becomes evil, etc and etc) as they talk about Black Clover.

So why do so peeve with the manga? Much of the Battle Shounens are doomed to clichés, are the strongest rivals appearing one after the other, the friend who became evil, the awakening of a new power at the last minute that excite us, of course there are those who manage to escape it, but both are fun. So my opinion is, as much as Black Clover really overdo these questions, it is still an easy read, enjoyable and pleasant, without fail to recognize that Tabata Yuuki-sensei has talent, maybe not to create the most complex of plots, but for do something that pleases the crowd and especially the younger audience between 12~16 years (or even less), seeking "heroic" characteres and exciting fights and powers.
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Its well on its way to performing as well as and better than Hero Academia and more.
Maybe, probably not. We have no way of knowing that at this point. You may prefer BC to BoHA but that doesn't mean it's well on it's way to surpassing it. Let's see how Volume 1 does before we start making such bold predictions.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
So why do so peeve with the manga? Much of the Battle Shounens are doomed to clichés, are the strongest rivals appearing one after the other, the friend who became evil, the awakening of a new power at the last minute that excite us, of course there are those who manage to escape it, but both are fun. So my opinion is, as much as Black Clover really overdo these questions, it is still an easy read, enjoyable and pleasant, without fail to recognize that Tabata Yuuki-sensei has talent, maybe not to create the most complex of plots, but for do something that pleases the crowd and especially the younger audience between 12~16 years (or even less), seeking "heroic" characteres and exciting fights and powers.
Yeah, that ís true. It just gives a bad taste, reading it with so many big similiarities & parallels in mind. But, for example, I do like the idea that there are another countries, which are involved in the plot. Also, I like Noell & most members of the Black Bulls. I dont hating it, I'm just unnerved by some things.
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah BLack Clover has everything needed to be a resounding commercial success, great ranks, great publicity, great literary quality, and great jpn and eng support. Its well on its way to performing as well as and better than Hero Academia and more. Getting 80K - 120K is definitely reasonable for it to achieve in its first month sales.
I agree with you on most of this. Not so much the literary greatness thing and the outperforming of BnHA though. It's a fun read, sure, but I still see some of the glaring issues in BC that I had a gripe with when I read Hungry Joker, pacing being the primary issue for me personally. It's a little better in BC than his previous work, but it still needs a little more refining IMO.

Also, as much as enjoy BC, the fact that Tabata is still "borrowing", "stealing", "plagiarizing", or whatever you want to call it, from other authors is a little troubling. I'm hoping after this arc we can see Tabata bring the story a little more into its own. I expect cliches to pop up often in the story (it is a shonen, after all), but that doesn't mean an author can't find inventive ways to turn certain tropes on their heads to give readers a fresh perspective.

In regard to its success, I'm not sure I see it overtaking BnHA anytime soon, if at all. Just comparing the first 14 chapters of BC to BnHA, I had already found the latter to be a much more enthralling read and the characters, including the support cast, to be more alive. I like BC, but I don't find myself looking forward to each chapter every week like I do with BnHA. Taking a more objective look at the series, too, the fact that Tabata is still borrowing so many ideas from other authors probably isn't a concern exclusive only to this forum. I wager a plethora of Jump's readership probably feel the same way and that very reason alone is enough to turn them of from the series or at least give some sort of apprehensive feelings towards it, which in effect may hold back BC from realizing its true potential. I don't doubt it'll sell well. It just won't be as well as you're expecting, I'm sure.

By the way, does anyone have info on BnHA sales for vol. 1's debut? I'd love to have that data for future reference.

Also, I'm curious as to how this recent chapter of BC is now ripping off Kenshin? I ask this not in defense of BC, but because, and I'm going to be perfectly candid here, I've never read Rouroni Kenshin. I remember watching episodes sporadically back when it was on Toonami, but I vaguely remember anything from it so I'm kind of curious as to the point of reference for this accusation.
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree with you on most of this. Not so much the literary greatness thing and the outperforming of BnHA though. It's a fun read, sure, but I still see some of the glaring issues in BC that I had a gripe with when I read Hungry Joker, pacing being the primary issue for me personally. It's a little better in BC than his previous work, but it still needs a little more refining IMO.

Also, as much as enjoy BC, the fact that Tabata is still "borrowing", "stealing", "plagiarizing", or whatever you want to call it, from other authors is a little troubling. I'm hoping after this arc we can see Tabata bring the story a little more into its own. I expect cliches to pop up often in the story (it is a shonen, after all), but that doesn't mean an author can't find inventive ways to turn certain tropes on their heads to give readers a fresh perspective.

In regard to its success, I'm not sure I see it overtaking BnHA anytime soon, if at all. Just comparing the first 14 chapters of BC to BnHA, I had already found the latter to be a much more enthralling read and the characters, including the support cast, to be more alive. I like BC, but I don't find myself looking forward to each chapter every week like I do with BnHA. Taking a more objective look at the series, too, the fact that Tabata is still borrowing so many ideas from other authors probably isn't a concern exclusive only to this forum. I wager a plethora of Jump's readership probably feel the same way and that very reason alone is enough to turn them of from the series or at least give some sort of apprehensive feelings towards it, which in effect may hold back BC from realizing its true potential. I don't doubt it'll sell well. It just won't be as well as you're expecting, I'm sure.

By the way, does anyone have info on BnHA sales for vol. 1's debut? I'd love to have that data for future reference.

Also, I'm curious as to how this recent chapter of BC is now ripping off Kenshin? I ask this not in defense of BC, but because, and I'm going to be perfectly candid here, I've never read Rouroni Kenshin. I remember watching episodes sporadically back when it was on Toonami, but I vaguely remember anything from it so I'm kind of curious as to the point of reference for this accusation.
Hero sold to 70k+ its first week. However it could've sold more if they printed more, because it sold out on the first day
 

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
437
Reaction score
276
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Also, I'm curious as to how this recent chapter of BC is now ripping off Kenshin? I ask this not in defense of BC, but because, and I'm going to be perfectly candid here, I've never read Rouroni Kenshin. I remember watching episodes sporadically back when it was on Toonami, but I vaguely remember anything from it so I'm kind of curious as to the point of reference for this accusation.
I dont know or care about BC, but you have to read Kenshin. Seriously, it is way way way better than almost everything in the magazine now, it's a true shonen manga and it's exciting in all the ways that the new series aren't. If you love shonen manga, read RK, it's one of the best. Oda was assistant on RK, there was actually a time when all the biggest JUMP authors were former assistants to Watsuki. Watsuki himself was assistant to Takeshi Obata along with Murata and Kentaro Yabuki from BlackCat/to-Love-ru, basically these guys all created the JUMP we know today, and Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best series any of them made. It is truly a pillar of JUMP and a great series, I don't know how to convince you further, just read it ASAP
 
Last edited:

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hero sold to 70k+ its first week. However it could've sold more if they printed more, because it sold out on the first day
Oh, very impressive! What are the usual standards for sales of shonen battle manga? Is there a greater disparity in sales between Jump and its competitors when it comes to this genre? What about in comparison to the debut of other famous Jump manga, both in and outside of the genre?

DoctorApollo said:
I dont know or care about BC, but you have to read Kenshin. Seriously, it is way way way better than almost everything in the magazine now, it's a true shonen manga and it's exciting in all the ways that the new series aren't. If you love shonen manga, read RK, it's one of the best. Oda was assistant on RK, there was actually a time when all the biggest JUMP authors were former assistants to Watsuki. Watsuki himself was assistant to Takeshi Obata along with Murata and Kentaro Yabuki from BlackCat/to-Love-ru, basically these guys all created the JUMP we know today, and Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best series any of them made. It is truly a pillar of JUMP and a great series, I don't know how to convince you further, just read it ASAP
Ah, I see! Such high praise. It seems it would be completely remiss of me not to read RK, huh? I'm currently working on getting caught up a bunch of Jump manga, old(Kinnikuman is the oldest I've read, thus far) and new, so I'll be sure to check out Watsuki's work in the immediate future. Thanks for the recommendation.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
WSJ #26 (Digital)

Preview Issue #27
Lead CP & Cover: World Trigger
Center Colour: Devily Man (25p), My Hero Academia, 4 Jump + Special Chapters of WSJ Spin-offs (32 p.): Magical Pâtissier Kosaki-chan (Spin-off of Nisekoi), Kuroko no Basuke - Replace Plus, Shokugeki no Soma - Etoile, Let's! Haikyu!?
Extra Pages: Lady Justice (23p)
 
Last edited:

Chipp12

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
20
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
Lady Justice color:
 

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
437
Reaction score
276
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Lady Justice color:
The anatomy and posing is iffy compared to his normal drawings, you can tell he doesn't normally draw stuff like this. But I guess that's the kinda thing the editors believe you have to do if you have a series like that.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Lady Justice color:
After seeing this Im really glad, viz didn't even pick it up for the Jump start line-up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top