Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Black Clover taking the first place from One Piece?
Am I seeing right? :nuts


I really want to see how much the first vol. will sell now!
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
World Trigger is on break next week
 

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Also Hinomaru Zumou is doing really well.

Unfortunatelly the same can't be said about Kagamigami.
It should have been released on another magazine like Sunday or Magazine.
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sharkbait is going to love this, that's for sure. We may never hear the end of it about how it has overtaken or will overtake One Piece and BnHA :heh

On a another, I'm happy that BC is getting a positive reception since I actually do enjoy the series myself. My only worry is that Tabata may never venture out from how he's been approaching the story if he keeps getting positive reinforcement for essentially lifting ideas off of other majorly successful series. I still want to see him try to set his own standard for BC, and I fear I can't do that if he's constantly clinging on the coattail of other authors. Nonetheless, I'm glad Tabata has what is seemingly a hit on his hands. It'll be interesting to see what BC's first week sales are. I may have to eat a big ole' helping of crow if it sells tremendously well, which I have hardly any qualms with.

Eru13 said:
How long was the Naruto Gaiden supposed to be? 13 chs or something?
If so then the next cancellation round will probably be -3 with UBS, Kagami, and Naruto Gaiden ending
How often do these cancellation rounds happen, if you don't mind my asking? Do you know when the next one is? I want to hold out hope for Kagami, but if it's doomed for cancellation, then obviously that can't be helped.
 
Last edited:

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
#28 (08/06):
Toriko (Cover, Lead Color)
Warai no Kamigami / Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro (Oneshot, 19p)
Food Wars, Nisekoi, Black Clover (Color Page)
World Trigger (Absent)
 
Last edited:

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Sharkbait is going to love this, that's for sure. We may never hear the end of it about how it has overtaken or will overtake One Piece and BnHA :heh

On a another, I'm happy that BC is getting a positive reception since I actually do enjoy the series myself. My only worry is that Tabata may never venture out from how he's been approaching the story if he keeps getting positive reinforcement for essentially lifting ideas off of other majorly successful series. I still want to see him try to set his own standard for BC, and I fear I can't do that if he's constantly clinging on the coattail of other authors. Nonetheless, I'm glad Tabata has what is seemingly a hit on his hands. It'll be interesting to see what BC's first week sales are. I may have to eat a big ole' helping of crow if it sells tremendously well, which I have hardly any qualms with.
I think you guys are nagging BC too much.
One Piece and Naruto do the same things and follows the same tropes.
The only diference is that when One Piece do it, it's a homage, but when Black Clover do it, it's a rip-off.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wow, this cover marks the end of 7 months without a single color page or cover for World Trigger :super
This is nothing... Toriko was not receiving anything since last year.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
World Trigger (Lead Color/Cover)
Black Clover
One Piece
Devilyman (Center color, 25 pages)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Hinomaru Zumou
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Naruto Gaiden
Gintama
Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
Nisekoi
Spinoffs: [Magical Patissiere Kosaki-chan, Shokugeki no Soma L'etoile, Kuroko no Basket Replace PLUS, Rettsu! Haikyuu!?] (Center color, 32 pages)
Lady Justice (23 pages)
Toriko
Kagamigami
Kochikame
UBS
Bleach
Isobe
Back in April the claim was made that BLack Clover is a disruptive manga for Jump, devouring fans of other series, a cannibalistic force. It seems that statement was reaffirmed this week.

Im glad Jumps attempt to deliver a pure fantasy series is turning out to be very successful. I love this series a lot.
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think you guys are nagging BC too much.
One Piece and Naruto do the same things and follows the same tropes.
The only diference is that when One Piece do it, it's a homage, but when Black Clover do it, it's a rip-off.
I've actually said my piece on this before. I take no issue with Black Clover using certain tropes commonly seen in shounen manga. That really isn't my issue. My problem is that he's going very much by the book when it comes to implementing those tropes instead trying to put his own twist on them here and there. I mean, honestly, you can't read the first chapter and tell me that origin didn't sound remotely close to that of Naruto's. Again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but since then, it's just kind of been an amalgamation of a bunch veritably successful manga, resulting in this mishmash of concepts that feels somewhat clumsily executed. I admit, however, that some of the comparisons are kind of reaching; the Attack on Titan one, for instance, was a little far-fetched to me. Still, for the most part, I can't say I disagree with most of the claims since I myself saw some these glaring similarities.

I get any genre is going to have their tropes. It's almost an inescapable vortex, but as I've said before, just because shounen manga have certain tropes that they tend to follow does not mean that an author can't put their own spin on them to make it something a little more unique than the standard fair. My fear is that if this sort of thing gets higher praise over authors trying to create a solid story with creative and sound concepts and ideas, then more authors will be like "Well, dang. Why do I need to work hard or be creative when I can just put out a cookie-cutter story with carbon-copy characters and get more benefit out of it?" I'm sure this is something of an extreme, but it's something that is of concern to me. I'd rather the manga industry-- in this instance, the shounen part of it, though I apply this concern as a whole-- not turn into something akin to what comprises the American music industry.

Sharkbait said:
Back in April the claim was made that BLack Clover is a disruptive manga for Jump, devouring fans of other series, a cannibalistic force. It seems that statement was reaffirmed this week.

Im glad Jumps attempt to deliver a pure fantasy series is turning out to be very successful. I love this series a lot.
That hyperbole though. About time you showed up. This topic wouldn't have been any fun otherwise. :lmao
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,472
Reaction score
39,394
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Really glad for Black Clover, isn't a "Wow, what a great story" yet, but is enjoyable and isn't doing nothing wrong or bad until now, also, is really good to see that Jump FINALLY was able to launch a successful manga about magic, Jump always had problems to find a popular magic/fantasy manga, so i'm happy for Tabata and Shonen Jump. :)
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
This is nothing... Toriko was not receiving anything since last year.
I'm assuming WSJ just doesn't see the point in overly promoting it especially since the anime also ended. Plus, Toriko's sales are declining pretty fast.
 

Shinko

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 26, 2014
Messages
21
Reaction score
6
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
How long was the Naruto Gaiden supposed to be? 13 chs or something?
Naruto Gaiden will be have a 10 chapters.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Nice another Nisekoi cp incoming.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Black clover 1st!!!
Boku no hero is 7th:-_-(Maybe it's the worst position since its publication
Because of the clash between Bakugou and Uraraka.But next week there is the battle Midoriya vs Todoroki in the rankings,and if this doesnt get a good ranking,I really don't know what to say
Kagamigami is in a bad position,and UBS is almost dead if new series don't make worse.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Sorry,I take back what I said.Boku no hero has colour page this week

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Next week only 8 series will be ranked ,so the TOc will be of only 4 series:-_-

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Because:
Nisekoi(cp)
Black clover(cp)
World trigger(absent)
Toriko(lead&cp)
One piece(absent 8 week ago)
Bleach(absent 8 week ago)
 

DihDiogo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
66
Reaction score
47
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Black clover 1st!!!
Boku no hero is 7th:-_-(Maybe it's the worst position since its publication
Boku no Hero is not ranked. Had a color page.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
So what series do we think have a chance at ending this year?
Gintama, Nisekoi, and AssClass are the obvious answers. But I get the feelings that it's possible that Bleach and Toriko might be rushing to their conclusions as well.
I mean Toriko has introduced space shit, and Bleach is literally about to start the final battle.
 
Last edited:

DihDiogo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
66
Reaction score
47
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So what series do we think have a chance at ending this year?
Gintama, Nisekoi, and AssClass are the obvious answers. But I get the feelings that it's possible that Bleach and Toriko might be rushing to their conclusions as well.
I hope that Bleach ends this year, but I think Kubo will stick a little more, even with this ridiculous rankings.
Well, still sells 400k+ for the publisher, anyway. Maybe if Black Clover take a strongly sales mark... Maybe...
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Naruto Gaiden will be have a 10 chapters.
Nobody know the numer chapters of Naruto Gaiden. The only think we know, we'll be a short serie.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
So what series do we think have a chance at ending this year?
Gintama, Nisekoi, and AssClass are the obvious answers. But I get the feelings that it's possible that Bleach and Toriko might be rushing to their conclusions as well.
I mean Toriko has introduced space shit, and Bleach is literally about to start the final battle.
Didn't Bleach enter it's final battle like 2 years ago or something? (I don't read it, just the comments about it)
But yeah, out of the 2+ years old series those five would be the ones closer to their natural ending I guess
 

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
437
Reaction score
276
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
The thing about Bleach is that there is a lot to be said about a series that everyone reads, but is no one's favorite.

Right, I mean, it was huge back in the day so many people ended up reading it, I mean most of JUMP's readership, and most of those people who buy the magazine probably end up reading Bleach, just to see it through to its end.

People who bought the volumes for collection value will keep buying them, so they can finish the set.

Basically, for the most part I think a large percent of JUMP's readership keeps up with Bleach at least begrudgingly if not enthusiastically. The problem is that it's no one's favorite, and so no one is voting for it.

But JUMP doesn't care if a series is your favorite: it just wants sales. If BLEACH is read, and BLEACH merchandise sells, it's a success. Even if all the millions of readers will continue to say, "yeah it's my least favorite series but I'm too invested at this point, so I just buy the volumes to complete my collection" that's a success.

So BLEACH, so long as it sells and its merchandise sells, is far more successful than almost all the series that consistently rank above it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top