Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Dunno if it's been posted but apparently there is a new One Piece movie coming out next year.

 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
We also know that One Piece won a Guiness record recently so it's acknowledged that it's the most published comic book in the world.
That is not the case: One Piece got the record for : The most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author. There are other comic series like Asterix that might have a higher printing but were drawn by more than one author/by different authors. And for the record, the Guiness Record only accounts for japanese volumes (320 Million at the time of december 2014). One Piece has 380 million in print worldwide (december 2014)
 
Last edited:

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
And for the record, the Guiness Record only accounts for japanese volumes (320 Million at the time of december 2014)
Not is for worldwide.

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2054292/full/
同作コミック全巻の累計発行部数が世界で3億2086万6000部を記録し「最も多く発行された単一作家によるコミックシリーズ」として15日、『ギネス世界記録』に認定された。
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/150635
2014年末時点で3億2086万部6000部の世界累計発行部数を誇る「ONE PIECE」
 

Diego

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 4, 2015
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Preview Issue #40

 
Last edited:

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
You didn't get the point: It only includes japanese volumes (it doesn't include the english, german, spanish, italien, french etc. version) that are printed for (worldwide) distribution. Greg confirmed it. Only the japanese issue got the cover with Luffy holding the certificate: english and taiwanese jump didn't feature that. There was a reason for that. Don't belive what is just written on natalie
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Random things about that manga top sellers list.
1.- lol, mangazekan has Yowamushi Pedal title translated to Sissy Pedal
2.-Also, GTO is like the only sequel there, and the prequel isn´t even on the list
3.-To be on topic, I counted the number of Jump manga in that list, and out of 118 manga, 40 of them were searlized in some way in JUMP, like Bastard! which was later changed to another magazine..

Anyaway, I think that list is wrong too, or at the very least is not complete..

Just out of the top of my head, some manga that are missing, according to various sources.
For example is missing Berserk, and here are some numbers, which I think are pretty official, since the source is the publisher itself.

I was pretty shocked when I noticed Love Hina not being on the list, always thought it would have at least sold a million per volume.. I checked its wikipedia article and it says it sold 16 million.

Although all I have to support this claim I think various very popular JUMP titles should have been listed in the top, you have Ring ni Kakero which according to wikipedia sold 13,000,000 copies which is totally doable because is such an old series, and one of JUMP´s first hits.

Also, other old JUMP manga aren´t listed there, hit series like Dokonjo Gaeru or Mazinger which were like the top ever anime in ratings, IIRC they had like 30% ratings.. It would be specially easy for Dokonjo Gaeru to get in the list because it was such a long series (At the time) it had 27 volumes.
Maybe those mangas were too old to get sales ranked..

Anyway here´s another article with focuse on JUMP manga sales, and as you can see other mangas are missing from the mangazekan list.
http://comipress.com/article/2006/06/01/196

Here´s another, updated list from the same site


Now, the problem I have with these lists is that a lot of manga were added in the second list, why was that?! Is not like I doubt Hoshin Engi sold 13'000,000 copies, it had had a Kanzenban re-release back in 2006 IIRC so it probably got like an extra million volumes with that release, and 12'000,000 doesn´t seem farfetched for a popular JUMP comic, it would have had to sell around 530,000 copies to get to that number, which I think is totally doable..

But then you compare the articles and titles like Toilet Hakase go from 10'000,000 volumes sold in 2006 to 15'000,000 volumes sold in 2008, 5'000,000 volumes sold in the span of 2 years?! We are talking about an OLD series, like reaaaally old, like I´m too lazy to google, but its from the 80s, maybe from the late 70s.. So, yeah one of those 2 lists obvioulsy was wrong..

BTW here´s another, more recent and I think more accurate list for the top 20 JUMP manga


And as Desty said, how can we be sure the number of copies counted are tankobons and not half tankobons? A lot of publishers in latin america for example used to sell half tankobons..

So.. Guys, I don´t think we will ever get accurate numbers, I think that One Piece numbers are pretty accurate, the thing is we dont really know if they´re tracking only Japanese sales or Japanese volumes printed, or Globales sales or Global volumes printed.. And that´s for One Piece, which we have pretty accurate and trustable print numbers´ information! After all, it can´t get more official than Shueisha itself, right?

But where did we get the numbers of Golgo? Again, Dragon Ball´s numbers have been discussed to death in this thread, we don´t really know if they were taking global volumes sold or just in Japan, and as Desty said, maybe Japan wouldn´t know if the publisher had been cutting the volumes in half.. Well they would know because licensors know everything about how you sell their manga, but maybe they would count 2 split volumes as 2 manga sold, instead of 1?

tl,dr I don´t we will ever get an accurate list of manga sold locally or worldwide :/
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
tl,dr I don´t we will ever get an accurate list of manga sold locally or worldwide :/
Well Naruto's was announced. I think they will also mention Bleach's when it ends. I'm sure with international sales, Bleach might touch 105 -110 million since Bleach being 82 million in Japan was back in 2012. With 2013 and 2014, Bleach has sold an additional 5.6 million which should take it's total to at least 86 million for volumes sold. 20-30 million worldwide for Bleach is not hard given how it was mentioned somewhere that One Piece sold 35 million worldwide (If I'm not mistaken).

I'm inclined to say that Bleach has sold at least similar to One Piece if not more, globally as Bleach was a lot more popular at one point before One Piece really took off.
 

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The best list we have are oricon ones, but they don't cover everything.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm inclined to say that Bleach has sold at least similar to One Piece if not more, globally as Bleach was a lot more popular at one point before One Piece really took off.
That is America. for example in France(and I believe in all Europe too), One Piece always sold a lot more than Bleach.
 

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Each country has it's favourite manga it seems.

I'm pretty sure that, here in Brazil, Naruto is the "huge thing".
Principally in the beggining. The anime played a very important role in it's popularity.
 

chrisbj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2015
Messages
191
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bleach was only #2 in America, it barely sold more than Death Note, and currently Bleach and One Piece are selling on par with each other(Bleach sells a few hundred more copies than OP) in America
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just wanted to read english Jump in one go but I had to stop after I finished the Nisekoi chapter: People who are complaining about Bleach should read Nisekoi: the writing is so bad and it is getting worse and worse.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just wanted to read english Jump in one go but I had to stop after I finished the Nisekoi chapter: People who are complaining about Bleach should read Nisekoi: the writing is so bad and it is getting worse and worse.
There just aren't anymore stories left to tell in Nisekoi. Komi needs to end it while he still has energy and optimism to do a better serial.
 

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's a Slice-of-Life that should not be this long.
He should focus all his might in making a epic end, instead of prolong it like this.

Sometimes I wonder if he's being pushed to continue it or if it is his own will.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
What is happening right now was teased back in volume 4/5, nisekoi isn't being prolonged.

It's obvious how important this arc is but I won't spoil why.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Have you got any link for other oneshots of Golden future cup?
 

chrisbj

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2015
Messages
191
Reaction score
80
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No author comments this week?....
 

Lehran

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
362
Reaction score
493
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
WSJ Comics release calendar:

October 3rd:

One Piece #79
Haikyuu!! #18
Assassination Classroom #16
PSI Kusuo Saiki #15
Shokugeki no Soma #15
Isobe Isobee Monogatari #8
Black Clover #3
Ultra Battle Satellite #3

November 4th:

Bleach #70
Gintama #61
Nisekoi #20
Hinomaru Zumou #7
Boku no Hero Academia #6
Kagamigami #3
Lady Justice #2
Devily-Man #2
Sesuji wo Pin! to #1
Best Blue #1
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
In your opinion how much will sell dance manga?
 

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
In your opinion how much will sell dance manga?
I bet in something like 50/60k.
But it could be more since it has can appeal to the nisekoi fans.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

WSJ Comics release calendar:

October 3rd:

One Piece #79
Haikyuu!! #18
Assassination Classroom #16
PSI Kusuo Saiki #15
Shokugeki no Soma #15
Isobe Isobee Monogatari #8
Black Clover #3
Ultra Battle Satellite #3

November 4th:

Bleach #70
Gintama #61
Nisekoi #20
Hinomaru Zumou #7
Boku no Hero Academia #6
Kagamigami #3
Lady Justice #2
Devily-Man #2
Sesuji wo Pin! to #1
Best Blue #1
There's something weird and worrying here.
Kagamigami and Black Clover were released together.
But Kagamigami third volume will be sold one month later.
Any reason why?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top