Discussion New Roles and New Rules Suggestion Thread

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,646
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Submissions for new roles need to follow the next format in order to be considered:

I. [Place Holder Name]

II. [Affiliation]

III. [Short Description]

IV. [Long Description/Idea/Premise/Scope]

V. [Priority/RoleType/Interactions/other Specifics]

I. Troublemaker

II.
Town

III. Can once per game make a Day phase lynch be the top 2 voted people instead of regular 1 top voted person. Every player has 2 votes but cannot vote the same player twice.

IV. PMs the host on the night before the day he wishes to use his power on. Host announces at start of day that the 2 top voted players will be lynched.
Everyone gets 2 votes that they can use on 2 individual players. Both can be moved once like usual. Example:
!votekill1 PlayerX
!votekill2 PlayerY
!votelock2
(locks on PlayerY).

Any other format is also fine as long as players specify who they are voting and if it's a new vote or they are changing their first one.

V. Doesn't have a Priority, happens at the end of night after all other actions. Doesn't target another player. Primary role.

Since it happens at the end of a phase, the player can be both blocked and killed to prevent it happening.


I. Psychiatrist

II. Townie

III. The Psychiatrist investigates one person per night phase to see if the player has a Secondary Role. They get a "Your target has a secondary role" if that is the case, and a "Your target does not have a secondary role" if it's not. The Psychiatrist does not find out the allegiance of the target.

IV. It's a counter for scum secondaries without outright revealing them, leaving room for guess work and player reading.

V. Priority 2, Primary Role.

Current roles Approved for testing here

Rules on including those in a game:
  • A host can take any of these roles and test them in their game. Depending on results from testing the role it will either be included into the Role list or need more changes/testing.
  • A host at the very least has to announce in the opening post of the game that new roles are being tested, or alternatively even more specifically reveal the roles that are being tested.
Link to the last update post with the roles that are either close to approval or were not approved: here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,183
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
James Rye said:
Basically, the Good Cop would try to arrest a mafia to prevent his night action, like a mafia escort while a Corrupt Cop would try to get a doctor or detective in jail to prevent its night action. However, both roles could also be used to "safe" another player who they see is about to get lynched and put them in jail "for their own safety", at least for this day. The thought behind this is that if a Good Cop thinks or knows that the townies are about to lynch a doctor or detective or a hider just because of false information or bandwagon, he can save said person for this day and give the townies another night to think about it. Same for Corrupt Cop who for example sees that his Mafia boss is about to get lynched and puts him in jail so that the townies have to wait another day or even change their opinion due the night happenings.

Cops
: Sounds interesting, provided that this ability use is restricted, to avoid most important roles to be constantly obstructed, I think.
 
Last edited:

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I like the Cop roles, the others are too but they become useless if there's no penalty votes. Though it's true that there has always been at least one so far recently.
Thanks but the same can be said to the Cops as well, after all once they have used up their one time arresting, then they are basically regualar townies with a fancy title. xD
I wanted Lawyer and Prosecutor to have a dependence on penalty votes to be able to use their abilities. Also it might also be smart to not use your ability at the first couple days. I mean, imagine if you are a prosecutor and you notice somebody moved a pen-vote, then you already know that there is a mafia lawyer in te game whereas the other townies have to wonder if that was the lawyer or the prosecutor who moved. And ofc the mafia will try to kill you to keep a monopol on moving pen votes so you can't just go out and scream "I didn't moved that vote, this must have been the work of the lawyer!".

Also even if there aren't pen votes, you can still create your own pen votes as I said before. Either a townie or a mafia could volunteer to not vote or post three times to get a pen vote next day, obviously said person cannot die that night else the pen vote won't happen next day, meaning such a strategy would be more of a mafia dare than a townie strategy but even the townies could be ready to go for such a risk if they know they are about to tie with the mafia next day.


Cops
: Sounds interesting, provided that this ability use is restricted, to avoid most important roles to be constantly obstructed, I think.
Yeah, I think once per game to arrest somebody for two phases is okay. It is basically like a small forced Jesus "dieing and been reborn" on somebody else. XDDD

We could argue if the person is allowed to vote in jail or not, I left that out as I'd like to hear your thoughts about it. Personally I'd say no vote, after all criminals in jail cannot vote either from what I remember and not voting in exchange of not getting lynched/killed next night is a good deal in my eyes. :)
 

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
20,024
Reaction score
6,631
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Cop roles look pretty good, but they are very hard to utilize, especially "saving" someone part, which is what is unique about them.

Initial iterations of Prosecutor and Lawyer look much more interesting, and I'd love to play those roles. I honestly don't have any interest in playing around a mechanism that involves people going afk. I see the reasoning in which how a Mafia Lawyer shapes things up, but I see very little incentive baring niche cases for a Mafia Lawyer to take a massive risk and move around a vote, which might or might not ever appear in a game (I played a lot of games with 0 or 1 penalty votes in them, and nobody will be willingly get a penalty vote in their head, since, there has to be an initial penalty vote to prove to the other players that there is someone who can move penalty votes around to develop a strategy around this mechanism) rather than derailing a bandwagon through simple manipulation.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Cop roles look pretty good, but they are very hard to utilize, especially "saving" someone part, which is what is unique about them.

Initial iterations of Prosecutor and Lawyer look much more interesting, and I'd love to play those roles. I honestly don't have any interest in playing around a mechanism that involves people going afk. I see the reasoning in which how a Mafia Lawyer shapes things up, but I see very little incentive baring niche cases for a Mafia Lawyer to take a massive risk and move around a vote, which might or might not ever appear in a game (I played a lot of games with 0 or 1 penalty votes in them, and nobody will be willingly get a penalty vote in their head, since, there has to be an initial penalty vote to prove to the other players that there is someone who can move penalty votes around to develop a strategy around this mechanism) rather than derailing a bandwagon through simple manipulation.
Right, but that is up to the cops how they see their own role. With this once in a game ability they "could" achieve three things:

1) Put a mafia away for a day and night to prevent his night action
2) Put away a townie to prevent his lynching at the day of his/her arrest, but at the cost of the vote and possible day/night action
3) Take away a mafia vote at the deciding day where townies and mafia are very close to the same number

So a Cop could see himself as a once a time protector from lynching, as a once a time night blocker or as a once a time vote blocker, all three could happen even at one, if for example you put away a detective you as a cop believe to be a detective but the rest of the townies didn't and wanted him dead. You would protect him from dieing, but take away his day vote as well as his night action.
At least I think somebody in jail shouldn't be allowed to vote for the day he or she was arrested. That's just fair for a 100% immunity to lynching on this day and murder of the following night.

A Corrupt Cop who works for the Mafia and ofc appears as guilty when investigated could look upon his role differently than a Good Cop, like he could be more protective of his own people than a Good Cop as he knows who is who and what their roles are. But then again if they find two detective and both want to investigate somebody of the mafia then it would be wise to block one with escort and the other with the cop if the danger is too great that the docs protect the detectives this night.

I like the varity of the Cops roles, their ability is powerful but doesn't feel "broken" to me due it being an once per game ability and having possible negative sideeffects, like you protect one of your own but that costs that person#s vote and possible day/night action.

I think about maybe adding a "secondary role" aka prisoner that explains to the arrested player that he cannot vote or do any action but still speak or maybe try to add that into the cop role explanation as in "a person in jail cannot vote or do any action". Also I think some actions should still work for those in jail like for example investigation to see if the arrested person is guilty or not guilty.

Yeah, that is why I had the Judge to give freely penalty votes. I first thought of giving the lawyer and prosecutor an "ACCUSATION VOTE!", basically can once per day accusate somebody, meaning they had two votes, their own and the one of their roles. However that would make the mafia lawyer really powerful so I'd rather liked the idea that they can only move penalty moves around as if there are no penalty votes the lawyer and prosecutor are basically regular mafia member and regular townies who have to wait till a penalty vote comes in, either via judge or afk people.

Or, they themselves risk it and take a penalty vote on their own head which they move away. They could use that move to prove that they are prosecutor (as nobody in their right mind would try to prove that they are mafia lawyer xD) just to see that the mafia did had a lawyer who moved the penalty vote on somebody else than the prosecutor had done.

And yeah, I liked the idea of two people reading the forums and seeing somebody moved that pen vote and they could do so too or leave the other wondering if the opposite role is in game or not when it really counts, etc and etc.

In my eyes, lawyer and prosecutor were more early and early to middle roles as those are the days with the most afk people. Late game when most afk are dead they are less useful expect if a judge managed to surive till then and the two roles then try to move around the pen vote. The prosecutor ofc is in a better position than the lawyer as he can outspeak his role and say stuff like "I will move the pen vote to person x as we are likely to kill her/him with it, if the lawyer moves it then it is likely he or she tries to protect an own member" and stuff like that. And ofc the lawyer could try to fake that he/she IS the prosecutor and do something similar. Although for that to work it would be best if the detectives and such are dead else they could easily check upon that claim.

Do you know any more hosts I could contact to ask for them to review the roles?

I wrote Hardy a pm but it doesn't look like he has looked over them yet. If Evil another host I could ask to evaluate the 5 roles before I post the other 5 ones I have in mind?
 

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
20,024
Reaction score
6,631
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Yeah, about prosecutor and lawyer, that was what I thought. They are not particularly tuned as extremely strong, game changing roles, but rather, niche roles (Kind of like Witch or Jesus, whose play evolves with conditional cases without bringing in extreme stuff like Paranoid Gun Owner, for instance.

Ask DD (DigitalDude), he has hosted numerous games, so, he probably knows stuff about balancing roles. Alongside Evil, he is one of the more regular hosts that I know of.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, about prosecutor and lawyer, that was what I thought. They are not particularly tuned as extremely strong, game changing roles, but rather, niche roles (Kind of like Witch or Jesus, whose play evolves with conditional cases without bringing in extreme stuff like Paranoid Gun Owner, for instance.

Ask DD (DigitalDude), he has hosted numerous games, so, he probably knows stuff about balancing roles. Alongside Evil, he is one of the more regular hosts that I know of.
Alright, I have send those two some messages, hope they will check those roles soon and give their input. :)
 

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,464
Country
Fun Forum
ugh, upon James' repeated request, here's my opinion and votes on followingg roles...

Cop (Townie)
Night Action - Can once per game arrest another player for this night and the following day and night. Does not hinder arrested player to vote, however said player cannot do any actions once arrested. Cop will get told his target's target if the arrested player had any but not his action.



Corrupted Cop (Mafia)
Night Action - Can once per game arrest another player for this night and the following day and night. Does not hinder arrested player to vote, however said player cannot do any actions once arrested.
I don't see how any of those roles are an addition to the existing roles pool. It merely differs from the Prostitute/Escort role, while limits the action to only one time. The day block aspect is a little bit more intriguing, saying if it is a reversed version of those roles. Then again I am not sure if we have a lot of day action roles that potentially could be successfully blocked by a "reverse-Prostitute", soooo.... I'm neither for not against it. If you collect enough supporters, I will not veto.


Prosecutor (Townie)
Day action - Can once per game openly declare another player guilty of being Mafia. At the end of the day the accusated player's role will get revealed. If the target is a mafia member, he will get lynched immediately. If he's a townie, the Prosecutor will get lynched instead.
I think the lych-if-wrong is a cruicial aspect of this role, without that it would obviously not function. With the callout the Prosecutor confirms himself, but even if he's wrong, he confirms someone else. Hmmm, we have to discuss how game influencing that can be. I find it interesting to far though, would say Yes.


Lawyer (Townie)
Day action - Can once per game either end an arrestion to release the arrested player sooner or use his day action to openly declare another player "untouchable" to be voted for to be lynched that day.
This arrest thing I see as irelevant, as noted before. lynch protection kind of sounds interesting, I would rather take out the public declaration though, would rather do it via PM to the host. Yeah


How about a "Hacker" on the Mafia site that either has the same once per game power like the Townie Judge or has a day action to interfer with votings?


Hacker (Mafia)
Day Action - Can once per game stop a lynching via pm to the Host.


Hacker (Mafia)
Day Action - Can move one locked vote to another target via pm to the Host.
Ywah, as the equivalent part to the layer though. this lock movement could possibly be a different role.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Would those Cop roles be a Jailor role, as in the kidnapped player can't be killed/affected by any other actions, or simply role blocking? Things like that are often broken, although, given that we have more than one Mafia killing role, it wouldn't lock/stall the mafia.

I feel like you'd have to include all of the court roles in a game in order to make it work as a theme (as some of them only have an effect/purpose if the other roles in the game), but it would kind of be like a one game-specific set of roles. Unless they somehow introduced a whole new dynamic to the game, I can't see how they'd continue in the game.
 

digitaldude

MH's Funniest Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
4,776
Reaction score
11,674
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I only like the prosecutor role james.

Cop - No

Corrupt Cop - No

Prosecutor - Yes

Hacker Mafia No I don't like this role at all!

I am still thinking about the lawyer.
 
Last edited:

Kat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 16, 2013
Messages
3,777
Reaction score
2,207
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Slovakia
Wut Hacker mafia is great -.-
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,761
Reaction score
26,110
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So I was thinking of a new 1 day 1 night mafia game.

Where the host reveals to the townies who the mafia are at the end of the day 1 phase.
So by the nights end of the first day or however it is, all the mafia get horribly murdered
And blood will flow the streets... Anytakers?


Quick fast paced, no? :XD
 

Adorien

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
4,137
Reaction score
7,525
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Bulgaria
YAAAASSS
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,250
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Prosecutor (Townie)
Day action - Can once per game openly declare another player guilty of being Mafia. At the end of the day the accusated player's role will get revealed. If the target is a mafia member, he will get lynched immediately. If he's a townie, the Prosecutor will get lynched instead.[/fieldset]
I approve this. Badass Cowboy-esque.

Death Miller will be revealed as Townie when targeted by the Prosecutor right? And there will be no false Mafia revelation. Nice!
 
Last edited:

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Would those Cop roles be a Jailor role, as in the kidnapped player can't be killed/affected by any other actions, or simply role blocking? Things like that are often broken, although, given that we have more than one Mafia killing role, it wouldn't lock/stall the mafia.

I feel like you'd have to include all of the court roles in a game in order to make it work as a theme (as some of them only have an effect/purpose if the other roles in the game), but it would kind of be like a one game-specific set of roles. Unless they somehow introduced a whole new dynamic to the game, I can't see how they'd continue in the game.
You mean like a Phoneix Wright Mafia Game? That sounds interesting, Judge, prosecutor, cops, corrupt cop and all that could easily find a place in such a game setting.

I only like the prosecutor role james.

Cop - No

Corrupt Cop - No

Prosecutor - Yes

Hacker Mafia No I don't like this role at all!

I am still thinking about the lawyer.
I approve this. Badass Cowboy-esque.

Death Miller will be revealed as Townie when targeted by the Prosecutor right? And there will be no false Mafia revelation. Nice!
Well, okay then. I liked the one time per game arrest ability of the cops. Interesting that the Prosecutor is so well liked.^^

Though if he does make it, I totally will try to get some kind of lawyer for the mafia into the game. There must be a mafia role which fits a lawyer without being OP. XD

Here is only one new suggestion, in honour of our dead Noble:


Fallen Noble (Mafia):
Day Action - If the Fallen Noble has killed somebody succuesfully in the previous night he can use the vote of his killed victim in the day voting besides his own. The vote of the murdered victim can only be given as a locked vote.


The idea is to give the Mafia a vote extra role similar to the Noble of the townies. But since a mafia with always 2 votes on would be way too powerful, he is forced to kill and cannot make that vote appear as anonymous like the townie Noble, thus the "Fallen Noble". He is basically like the Mafia smuggler I created weeks ago but without the killing without being noticed part.
In other words he is a role Mafia either wants to hide till the end of the game or use early on to make the townies be distracted by a Fallen Noble running amok and reusing the votes of the dead against them the next days. Plus such votes can always create interesting discussions whenever it was used to get a townie killed by breaking the tie or to cover a mafia as there is no way a mafia member would mark his own buddy with an instant locked vote.
 

Evil3ye

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
7,276
Reaction score
28,464
Country
Fun Forum
Jesus James, let it rest. Although I sort of thought of that myself resent, Mafia with noble vote
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Jesus James, let it rest. Although I sort of thought of that myself resent, Mafia with noble vote
'kay, I'll be quiet. Just really want to add a new functional not OP mafia role to the game. :c
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,107
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
An idea we had with Lala

Medium (Townie):
Once per game, as it drains too much spiritual energy, the Medium can investigate a dead player. He gets to know the targets said player had, in chronological order. He uses his ability by sending a PM to the host at night.
 

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,646
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I had a similar idea while I was frustrated when I died last game :XD Just that my version involved having the dead player replace you for that day, just like it is with mediums. The spirit enters your body and can do things. Would be useful to have a silenced person speak again, preferably a dead detective. I like your version too.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,736
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
How about this;

Identity Thief (Mafia): Can target one person per night. Learns that persons role. At death ID-Thief will appear as the role of the last person whose identity he/she stole.

Kinda a power-upped version of Mafia Detective.
 
Top