Discussion - New Roles and New Rules Suggestion Thread | Page 28 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion New Roles and New Rules Suggestion Thread

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Submissions for new roles need to follow the next format in order to be considered:

I. [Place Holder Name]

II. [Affiliation]

III. [Short Description]

IV. [Long Description/Idea/Premise/Scope]

V. [Priority/RoleType/Interactions/other Specifics]

I. Troublemaker

II.
Town

III. Can once per game make a Day phase lynch be the top 2 voted people instead of regular 1 top voted person. Every player has 2 votes but cannot vote the same player twice.

IV. PMs the host on the night before the day he wishes to use his power on. Host announces at start of day that the 2 top voted players will be lynched.
Everyone gets 2 votes that they can use on 2 individual players. Both can be moved once like usual. Example:
!votekill1 PlayerX
!votekill2 PlayerY
!votelock2
(locks on PlayerY).

Any other format is also fine as long as players specify who they are voting and if it's a new vote or they are changing their first one.

V. Doesn't have a Priority, happens at the end of night after all other actions. Doesn't target another player. Primary role.

Since it happens at the end of a phase, the player can be both blocked and killed to prevent it happening.

I. Psychiatrist

II. Townie

III. The Psychiatrist investigates one person per night phase to see if the player has a Secondary Role. They get a "Your target has a secondary role" if that is the case, and a "Your target does not have a secondary role" if it's not. The Psychiatrist does not find out the allegiance of the target.

IV. It's a counter for scum secondaries without outright revealing them, leaving room for guess work and player reading.

V. Priority 2, Primary Role.

Current roles Approved for testing here

Rules on including those in a game:
  • A host can take any of these roles and test them in their game. Depending on results from testing the role it will either be included into the Role list or need more changes/testing.
  • A host at the very least has to announce in the opening post of the game that new roles are being tested, or alternatively even more specifically reveal the roles that are being tested.
Link to the last update post with the roles that are either close to approval or were not approved: here.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Rye

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Another idea:

Old Cat Lady (Townie):
At the start of the game OCL can choose three persons who she will watch during the night for the rest of the game because she is an old paranoid hag who doesn't trust her neighbors. Will get notified if any of her targets were active during the night. Will get notified if one of her three targets got killed, who the killer might be. But since her eyes are bad she can only remember few parts of the person thus getting three names as possible killer.

The idea is to have a "watcher" for the townies, but not an OP one thus the idea of an Old lady with lotsa cats and time on her hands who like to watch the streets (and her suspicious neighbors) at night. I could take away the active part and make her a sole "alarm person" as she keeps watch over three possible townies which upon their death/s might give her a clue to who the killer could be. I first thought to give her the name straight ahead but that is too strong. Another idea was to only give her a hint like with which letter the name starts or if the killer was male/female but one is already too specific and the other too broad. So I thought of giving her several names of people still alive at that point and thus make her not as credible as she could be.

Old Cat Lady (Townie):
At the start of the game OCL can choose three persons who she will watch during the night for the rest of the game. Will get a notice if one of her three targets got killed during the night, about who the killer might be. But since her eyes are bad she can only remember few parts of the person thus getting three names as possible killer.

Those three sentences got be the trimmed version of the OCL. If the OCL loses all her people due lynches she will be just a normal townie with a fancy name.

I also got a "Watcher role" for the mafia as well:

Mafia Informant (Mafia)
Night Action: Can choose to watch somebody at night. Will get a notice if target was active or not active during the night phase.

And that's it.
The idea is to give the mafia a weak "watcher" role who's can only see if his current townie target was active during the night or not. This way in a large/medium game the informant is a possible way to find potential doctors or detectives, but since there are many active night roles and plenty of day roles and the informant only gets an "active/not active" notice but not what the target did or who was targeted like the spy can find out, the informant is a pretty weak but possible useful role for the mafia.

Evil3ye

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I like the old lady, i approve.

mafia watcher seems lame, considering that there's the detective, who can just check everyone's role right away, but I don't protest against it.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I like the old lady, i approve.

mafia watcher seems lame, considering that there's the detective, who can just check everyone's role right away, but I don't protest against it.
Thanks. now two more Hosts approval needed to maybe test the Old Cat Lady out in a game. :D

Yeah, he's pretty weak. Maybe we can make the informant a bit stronger by making him also see who the target of the active person was he watched that night? This way the mafia could gain more information like seeing how the guy who the target was active on got killed that night despite the mafia not making him their kill target thus they can conclude he might be serial killer or insane doctor or even the killer of a 2nd mafia. That way the informant could be more important the more active targets and their actions he got hold on.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Nobody liked mi ID-Tief? :(

I like the catlady. Though it still might be a very powerfull role, so used with caution on setups. Not only killer part, but if he get notes of actions she can pretty easy spot liers early on (you know, "I have passive role", does an action at night, busted). Approved still though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Last time I made a game I felt like we needed stronger mafia roles to make balanced setups. Though you can always just add more (unskilled) goons.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
catlady is definitely a large game role...has to be big with a lot of night actions from both town and mafia.

i like it too:thumbs

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
So can we try out Old Cat Lady in the next game or does it need some tweaking or some more approval of hosts?

Also i got an idea for a Mafia role which might actually get approved:

Bomb Planter (Mafia)
Night Phase - The Bomb Planter can once per game plant a bomb on another player. That bomb will be set off when the target is killed/lynched and the killed target can take one more down with him.

Secondary role: Strapped Bomb
A player with a strapped bomb on it cannot get rid of it themselves and that bomb gets treated like a bomb going off after getting killed.

Basically more bombs. This way The Bomb can be used to try to kill one more townie by hoping their target picks a townie in other words this role carries a risk. A risk which they reduce to zero if they strap that bomb to one of their own who they believe will likely get lynched or otherwise killed next day/night thus having their mafia take down a townie with him but at the cost of that mafia's ability. Also this way the bomb defuser can actually save another role who has a strapped bomb to him.

What you think?

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Cat lady is a strange one.. Could be a good idea on larger games I guess.

The bomb planter seems too powerful and causes way too much unpreventable mayhem. The diffuser townie couldn't do anything about it, since mafia knows they planted it they will always make sure a townie votes last on that player.
And he'd make the mafia bomb obsolete, since he can target any player, thus turning even a mafia buddy into a bomb.

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
What about something like this?

Mafia Slanderer (Mafia)
At night, it can target multiple players and give them penalty votes.

I know that penalty votes are given by the hosts to players who made mistakes, but I thought that it could be interesting. :XD

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan

Mafia Slanderer (Mafia)

I know that penalty votes are given by the hosts to players who made mistakes, but I thought that it could be interesting. :XD
Not sure how well the role would work in practice. Giving multiple votes could be too much. A mafia noble/politician is more balanced than that tbh.

Did your penalty votes from last game inspire you for this role? :kappa

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Not sure how well the role would work in practice. Giving multiple votes could be too much. A mafia noble/politician is more balanced than that tbh.

Did your penalty votes from last game inspire you for this role? :kappa
I don't know what you're talking about. :whistle
Anyway, it can even be one vote for one player.
I'll welcome all of your suggestions with open arms! :verily

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Cat lady is a strange one.. Could be a good idea on larger games I guess.

The bomb planter seems too powerful and causes way too much unpreventable mayhem. The diffuser townie couldn't do anything about it, since mafia knows they planted it they will always make sure a townie votes last on that player.
And he'd make the mafia bomb obsolete, since he can target any player, thus turning even a mafia buddy into a bomb.
Dang. Alright here are some changes to the Cat Lady and a new Mafia role:

Old Cat Lady (Townie):
At the start of the game OCL can choose three persons who she will watch during the night for the rest of the game. Will get notified if any of her targets were active during the night, but not what they did. Will get notified if one of her three targets got killed about who the killer might be. But since her eyes are bad she can only remember the possible gender of the killer.

Reducing it to gender, aka either avatar gender or user gender, might be a bit better than names, right?

Mafia Gambler (Mafia):
Day Action - As long as the Mafia Gambler hasn't voted yet, he can target another player unlocked vote and put his vote against the targets in a gamble in a 50/50 game. If Mafia Gambler wins he can tell Host where to put target's vote while target gets told by Host that vote was lost in a gamble. If Mafia Gambler loses the target gets told of the victory and gets the "Gambler" vote and can use it as an extra vote.

I find this a fair mafia role as it is a chance game plus it is only one vote yet the Gambler risks his own vote as well. Also since target will get a pm during the day, he/she can tell about it the others, meaning people will start speculations like "did the gambler risked his vote to get rid of that townie vote onto a mafia fellow or does he try to make us think just that?" which I think will be lots of fun. The other idea is to make the Mafia Gambler a three time user role, like first time it is 100% chance of victory, 2nd time 75% and third and last time only 50%. But that kinda seemed dull to me. Plus this way we can make a townie gambler role too which might shake things up and make it more fun if people fear for a gambler and mafia gambler to take their votes thus some of them already locking their votes to secure them! Also with the first rule of the Gambler only being able to use his ability as long as he/she hasn't voted him/herself will prevent the gambler from using his/her ability at the end of the day, else it would be obvious of he/she is or at least the target range would be a lot smaller!
I really hope the Mafia Gambler and Townie Gambler find your lots approval to test them out in some game. Same with Old Cat Lady ofc.^^

Gambler (Townie):
Day Action - As long as the Gambler hasn't voted yet, he can target another player unlocked vote and put his vote against the targets in a gamble in a 50/50 game. If Gambler wins he can tell Host where to put target's vote while target gets told by Host that vote was lost in a gamble. If Gambler loses the target gets told of the victory and gets the "Gambler" vote and can use it as an extra vote.

Honestly, I think Gambler might be a fun role both for Mafia and Townie, so pleeeeease tell me that that role is okay? It isn't overpowered, right? It has enough restrictions and weaknesses to make it both a fun but not game endangering role, right? D:

Mafia Slanderer (Mafia)

I also had a Mafia Slanderer idea, but that one was more about changing the innocent status of a townie for the current night phase but that was considered too strong of a mafia role as it is already confusing enough with innocent mafia boss and some guilty townie roles.^^

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I also had a Mafia Slanderer idea, but that one was more about changing the innocent status of a townie for the current night phase but that was considered too strong of a mafia role as it is already confusing enough with innocent mafia boss and some guilty townie roles.^^
Great minds think alike I suppose.:derp
Any idea on making what I proposed more balanced?:nod

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I dunno, pen votes given by mafia are too strong. Last game for example might have ended a day earlier if they had a slanderer with that ability. It's why I tried the Gambler route with a 50/50 chance of success/failing as well as restrictions like not having voted yet which to the keen eye of a good observer might give good hints who the gambler might be if he/she hesitates too long to use said ability and the pool of people who haven't used their vote yet keeps decreasing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Alright, here is a slight chance for the Old Cat Lady, but one I think which is a good compromise about the stuff she finds out when one of her observed targets gets killed at night:

Old Cat Lady (Townie):
At the start of the game OCL can choose three persons who she will watch during the night for the rest of the game. Will get notified if any of her targets were active during the night, but not what they did. Will get notified if one of her three targets got killed about what role the killer had but will not get told who got that role.

Basically this way the OCL has, if chosen lucky, 3 people who she can see at night were active or not which will help her to see if they lied at day or not. Let's say Philia says he is Sickly Townie and OCL has her eyes on him by chance and yet she gets told Philia did nothing at all at night then that will look weird to her, right? Let's also say, she had her eyes on Mazino and Mazino gets killed by Mafia/3rd party, then she gets told by which role that was done. Like perhaps a Serial Killer or a mafia Boss. That kinda stuff can help townies to know what weapons the mafia got in their arsenal which would make the OCL useful if lucky but not OP as hell.

What you guys thinks about that little change? Is OCL easy to understand? It is only 3 sentences after all. :D

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
It is easy to understand, for sure.
And OP as hell.

Like, alongside Spy, this completely nerfs the real Detective role's investigating value into oblivion, because you can't possibly know if you are a Sane Detective or not until deep into the game, so it's just a wild guess at the beginning and OCL starts knowing -for sure- what three people are doing during the night immediately.
The only way to make this role more OP is if she could change those targets each night. Just give OCL that, too, and we are good to go :frankerz

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
But she just know if they are active during the night or not, not what her targets did exactly at night. Well, maybe have her change it to that she can chose different targets might make things easier.
What do you think about the Gambler/Mafia Gambler?

Hakuteiken

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Yeah, but also if that target is killed, she gets to know what happened.
I mean it's not that I dislike this concept. It just looks like a better, stronger version of detective to me, that's my point.

Gambler role, I like, but I'm not sure if I like the Mafia iteration of this role, as well. It's harder to balance, in my opinion.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think I might add something to mafia Gambler to make him a bit more risky than Townie Gambler who on his own has no idea who is mafia and who isn't unlike Mafia Gambler. Like if the Mafia Gambler loses twice in a row, he loses his role and becomes a normal Mafia member or something like that.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Disclaimer: this is a troll post and shouldn't be taken seriously.

The Evil3ye (Townie): At the beginning of every Night Phase, you have to PM the host the name of three players you'll rant about. During the next Day Phase, you have to make their stay in the game as excruciating as it can be.

The gnut (Third Party): During the Day Phase, you have to talk your unique and uncomprehensive way to leading a player to be lynched, for reasons only you may (or not) understand. When you achieve that three times, the game ends and you win (or people drop the game).

The GrySun (Unassigned): You can only get this secondary role if you're playing for the first time. The host will randomly assign you one of the roles from the current pool and, from then on, whenever you join a game, you will always get that some role (Ex.: perma-Detective).

The Hardy/The jorped (Third Party): You're both the same person, split into dupes. If one of you two is killed, the other one dies immediately. Unlike The Lovers, you can't talk during Night Phases 'cause PiratePad servers would get overloaded.

The James Rye (Townie): You're a townie infiltrated among the mafia. During the Night Phase, you have to successfully fill the piratepad with walls of text until it crashes. When you achieve that, the game ends and the town wins.

The Philia (Mafia): At the beginning of the game, you have to give away everything about your role and aliance. Your mafia team gets -1 person with that. If you give away other people, they get a bonus of -1 person per revelation.

The Xadyu (Third Party): You get to chose a group to join: townies, and for that you have to play like mafia and be the most suspicious person around; mafia, and for that you mysteriously adopt a normal behavior, or Hall of Shame.

The xi0 (Townie/Mafia): At the beginning of the game, you have to PM the hosts to select one of the following "player persona": a) accurate and participative analyst (only available if you start as mafia, to be determinated by the hosts); b) you'll complain about random things from the game that aren't really of interest; c) endless memes master, or; d) see "The Zasz".

The xnut (Townie): There's something about you that can lead a person to take the bullet for you. Once per game, whenever you're about to die, you can pick one person among the living ones to die in your place.

The Zasz (Third Party): Nothing. You're not around.

GrySun

Reaction score
Country
Japan
The GrySun is too strong. Make it so he literally can't win a single mafia game and then I approve it.