Discussion - Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread | Page 68 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread

Which side are you on?

• Team Spriggan 12

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Team Diabolos/Dragon Eaters

Votes: 43 51.2%

• Total voters

GokuSSJG

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Them celebrating doesn't necessarily mean that they were able to defeat Ur, it might have just been because Ur disappeared and they were just celebrating because the fight was over. Because if they really had been able to defeat Ur, then that would mean that Wendy was able to oneshot a Demon Gate of Tartaros with an injured leg, Laxus was able to oneshot Hades while severely injured, and Juvia/ Meredy were able to oneshot another Demon Gate of Tartaros and one of the Seven Kin of Purgatory. I know everyone's improved over the past year, but for them to have improved this much is kinda ridiculous.
if Natsu can then so can they.

Boomburst

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
if Natsu can then so can they.
Huh? What do you mean? Natsu has never oneshot a Demon Gate of Tartaros with an injured leg. Natsu has never oneshot one of the Seven Kin of Purgatory using his own power. And Natsu has most definitely never oneshot Hades while severely injured.

GokuSSJG

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Huh? What do you mean? Natsu has never oneshot a Demon Gate of Tartaros with an injured leg. Natsu has never oneshot one of the Seven Kin of Purgatory using his own power. And Natsu has most definitely never oneshot Hades while severely injured.
no.I was saying that they can be OP after a time skip.besides,this is FT.doing the impossible is one of their names.

Boomburst

Reaction score
Country
United States
no.I was saying that they can be OP after a time skip.besides,this is FT.doing the impossible is one of their names.
Well the only reason Natsu even left was because he wanted to get as strong as possible. Juvia kinda trained with Gray for six months until Gray left and then she just kinda sat there until Natsu and Lucy found her. Meredy was off in Crime Sorciere doing stuff with the rest of the guild. Same goes for Laxus in Blue Pegasus and Wendy in Lamia Scale. Natsu is the only one out of them who went off on his journey with the sole purpose of training and getting stronger, so it makes sense that he's improved more than the others.

GokuSSJG

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Well the only reason Natsu even left was because he wanted to get as strong as possible. Juvia kinda trained with Gray for six months until Gray left and then she just kinda sat there until Natsu and Lucy found her. Meredy was off in Crime Sorciere doing stuff with the rest of the guild. Same goes for Laxus in Blue Pegasus and Wendy in Lamia Scale. Natsu is the only one out of them who went off on his journey with the sole purpose of training and getting stronger, so it makes sense that he's improved more than the others.
I think Laxus trained during the time skip.it also kinda sucks that everyone is almost the same as they were during Tartaros arc.they are stronger but not that stronger.

Boomburst

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Laxus trained during the time skip.it also kinda sucks that everyone is almost the same as they were during Tartaros arc.they are stronger but not that stronger.
Well, everyone except Natsu. Natsu is WAY stronger than he was pre time skip lol.

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Them celebrating doesn't necessarily mean that they were able to defeat Ur, it might have just been because Ur disappeared and they were just celebrating because the fight was over. Because if they really had been able to defeat Ur, then that would mean that Wendy was able to oneshot a Demon Gate of Tartaros with an injured leg, Laxus was able to oneshot Hades while severely injured, and Juvia/ Meredy were able to oneshot another Demon Gate of Tartaros and one of the Seven Kin of Purgatory. I know everyone's improved over the past year, but for them to have improved this much is kinda ridiculous.
I agree with you here. I mean, I just re-read the chapters. Chapter 481 displays Gray and Lyon both unharmed. Beginning of chapter 482: Ur casually attacks Gray and sends him flying. She claims that "if an attack like that knocked him down, he's hardly grown up at all". Ok, I get the point of all of you saying Base Gray could beat Ur and he was just "waking Lyon up" but why was Gray so affected by that attack? Couldn't he have just blocked or dodged it? Besides, the chapter already shows a Lyon with plenty of scratches and seemingly tired, which means that, even if he's mentally handicapped, well, their battle offpanel must've been rough for the boys. While Ur has no scratch.

Gray wakes up and becomes rebellious: "this is not the kids we used to be". He gets a bit serious and finally gets to lay a scratch on Ur's face. They receive 10x her damage though. Unlike many of you, I think this is Gray getting serious, as he "won't let her sully Ur's name any more than she already has". He's kinda angry now.

Chapter 483 now. The battle reaches its climax. Ur is utterly unharmed and fresh as a rose; the two boys are both tired and damaged. The teacher's attack, Ice Volcano, far outclasses the student's, Ice Geyser. They both get overwhelmed by the spell and in the end are breathing heavily: they're clearly having a hard time. Is this Gray just barely trying? Is this Gray attempting at waking Lyon up? Maybe. But that doesn't necessarily imply he needs to receive so much damage. He's just receiving damage because Ur's power overwhelms him. Besides, he's not just on the deffensive, he's also attacking.

When Lyon claims that Ur is simply too strong for them, Gray tells him that "that's not Ur". He doesn't tell him "this thing is not even close to the power of Ur" or "yes, we've grown up and we've surpassed Ur", he simply states "that's not Ur". Which has no implications on whether the Historia is less or more powerful than Ur, or whether they're more powerful than Ur, he simply says that that thing's not Ur.

Ur is confident that the two of them are no match for her. She clearly states so and she bases it on the fact they're heavily injured whereas she's received no harm and seems to conserve plenty of MP and durability. At the end of the chapter, the two of them land a solid hit on her, combining their powers. It would be advisable to mention that this was DeS Gray, since the attack is named "Ice Devil's Zeroth Long Sword".

Whether the attack has defeated Ur is up to interpretation. We don't see what happens offpanel, we move from that attack to a point where Ur has already disappeared. I lean on those who claim she was not defeated. There will be those who think that blow knocked her down.

What is very clear in my mind is that Ur outclasses base Gray. Not by far, but she does.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lyons first step was defeating Ur alongside Gray, if Ur had dissapeared before that could happen then there would be hardly anything to celebrate. Nothing wrong with Wendy one-shotting base Ezel in DF mode, her injured leg hardly played a role in that cause she used her mouth (bite) which is probably the strongest attack a dragon slayer has given that its the strongest attack a dragon has. Laxus did not one-shot Hades, they were clearly brawling it out, Hades probably took quite a few hits. Besides, Laxus one-shotting someone of Precht's level even while heavily injured shouldn't be that far fetched given just how far below Hades is (especially without the heart). Juvia/Meredy were brawling it out with Zancrow/Keith as well, it wasnt a one-shot. Plus, at this point I was surprised that they even struggled with characters of Zancrow/Keith caliber, I thought Meredy and Juvia were strong enough to easily dispose of those opponents. Especially when the latter actually defeated Keith in the Tartarus arc (albeit it was more of a double suicide).

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't like how mashima threats gray's power..because he seems that gray is only powerful when he use his ice demon slayer magic..without this not too much..but i believe once he goes all out this is going to be different since mashima let him for the last fight

Boomburst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lyons first step was defeating Ur alongside Gray, if Ur had dissapeared before that could happen then there would be hardly anything to celebrate. Nothing wrong with Wendy one-shotting base Ezel in DF mode, her injured leg hardly played a role in that cause she used her mouth (bite) which is probably the strongest attack a dragon slayer has given that its the strongest attack a dragon has. Laxus did not one-shot Hades, they were clearly brawling it out, Hades probably took quite a few hits. Besides, Laxus one-shotting someone of Precht's level even while heavily injured shouldn't be that far fetched given just how far below Hades is (especially without the heart). Juvia/Meredy were brawling it out with Zancrow/Keith as well, it wasnt a one-shot. Plus, at this point I was surprised that they even struggled with characters of Zancrow/Keith caliber, I thought Meredy and Juvia were strong enough to easily dispose of those opponents. Especially when the latter actually defeated Keith in the Tartarus arc (albeit it was more of a double suicide).
Wendy has definitely gotten stronger but there is no way in hell she's on the level of a Demon Gate of Tartaros. Her magic is mostly support anyways and offensive magic isn't really her specialty. Laxus was completely wiped after fighting Wahl, and even without Grimoire Heart Hades is still pretty powerful, not to mention durable. We never saw Laxus and Hades brawling it out, the only thing we saw of their fight was the very end. We never saw Juvia and Meredy land any attacks on Zancrow and Keith either, the only one we saw was the last one. And seeing as how Keith has the ability to become intangible I seriously doubt a physical water attack would have been able to defeat him. Heck, the only reason Juvia beat him the first time was because she entered his body and killed him from there.

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Wendy has definitely gotten stronger but there is no way in hell she's on the level of a Demon Gate of Tartaros. Her magic is mostly support anyways and offensive magic isn't really her specialty. Laxus was completely wiped after fighting Wahl, and even without Grimoire Heart Hades is still pretty powerful, not to mention durable. We never saw Laxus and Hades brawling it out, the only thing we saw of their fight was the very end. We never saw Juvia and Meredy land any attacks on Zancrow and Keith either, the only one we saw was the last one. And seeing as how Keith has the ability to become intangible I seriously doubt a physical water attack would have been able to defeat him. Heck, the only reason Juvia beat him the first time was because she entered his body and killed him from there.
Wendy is using her partial DF here which is probably as strong as her full DF back in Tartaros. So, I could see her pulling a win against a base Demon Gate, yes. After all she's around "S-class" level in DF. But it seems a bit far-fetched to me if you ask me how she defeated him (one-shot, she was injured, etc.)

Still, saying there's no way in hell she's on the level of a Demon Gate of Tartaros when she proved to defeat one (in etherious form) back in Tartaros is a little contradictory. Of course she's gotten that far. Her magic is usually missinterpreted as support but when she gained her DF she definetely became an offensive magician as well. She shouldn't be taken lightly. In base, she's pretty much fodder, that's true.

Boomburst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wendy is using her partial DF here which is probably as strong as her full DF back in Tartaros. So, I could see her pulling a win against a base Demon Gate, yes. After all she's around "S-class" level in DF. But it seems a bit far-fetched to me if you ask me how she defeated him (one-shot, she was injured, etc.)

Still, saying there's no way in hell she's on the level of a Demon Gate of Tartaros when she proved to defeat one (in etherious form) back in Tartaros is a little contradictory. Of course she's gotten that far. Her magic is usually missinterpreted as support but when she gained her DF she definetely became an offensive magician as well. She shouldn't be taken lightly. In base, she's pretty much fodder, that's true.
She was only able to defeat Ezel back in the Tartaros Arc because she ate the ethernano in the air, giving herself a major power boost. It's the same as when Natsu ate Etherion to beat Jellal.

DemonKing888

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the Gray vs Ur debate I feel Gray could defeat Ur but he was holding back. He didn't use much DnS abilities like the ability to eat Ice.
Silver outclassed Gray not just because of power but for the simple fact that Gray was at a disadvantage he ate all his attacks. Gray was only able to hurt Silver when he used a object not made from Ice to put him down.

Vs Ur, Gray focused all his power on his Icemaker magic and less on his Demonslaying. He did this out of respect for his master, he wanted to show her how he improved based on what she taught him. But if he had focused all his magic on Demonslaying alone He would of just feed off her magic in till he's power increased to the point were he could spam some massive AoE attacks.

Char

Reaction score
Country
Spain
She was only able to defeat Ezel back in the Tartaros Arc because she ate the ethernano in the air, giving herself a major power boost. It's the same as when Natsu ate Etherion to beat Jellal.
We should just consider the ethernano she ate as a means for accessing DF. It didn't empower her anymore than the DF mode did.

Wendy's had a year to train and she can freely access a partial DF mode. After one year of training, her DF, even if partial, boosts her base power. The DF mode she used in Tartaros was more powerful thanks to the ethernano (if you will) but her MP has amplified in this year so I tend to consider Tartaros complete DF Wendy = Alvarez partial DF Wendy. You might very well think otherwise and it'd be fine.

As for "eating elements for making a stronger DF mode", I'd very confidently say that Tartaros DF Natsu is far superior to Tower of Heaven DF Natsu, and Natsu didn't eat anything in Tartaros. DF amplifies the base powers of the owner, the fact of "eating" something is just a means of accessing the mode, not boosting the mode.

For the Gray vs Ur debate I feel Gray could defeat Ur but he was holding back. He didn't use much DnS abilities like the ability to eat Ice.
Silver outclassed Gray not just because of power but for the simple fact that Gray was at a disadvantage he ate all his attacks. Gray was only able to hurt Silver when he used a object not made from Ice to put him down.

Vs Ur, Gray focused all his power on his Icemaker magic and less on his Demonslaying. He did this out of respect for his master, he wanted to show her how he improved based on what she taught him. But if he had focused all his magic on Demonslaying alone He would of just feed off her magic in till he's power increased to the point were he could spam some massive AoE attacks.
You're right, DeS Gray would've fodderized Ur. Still I don't think Gray was trying to prove her anything because he was well aware that ain't her.

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
We should just consider the ethernano she ate as a means for accessing DF. It didn't empower her anymore than the DF mode did.

Wendy's had a year to train and she can freely access a partial DF mode. After one year of training, her DF, even if partial, boosts her base power. The DF mode she used in Tartaros was more powerful thanks to the ethernano (if you will) but her MP has amplified in this year so I tend to consider Tartaros complete DF Wendy = Alvarez partial DF Wendy. You might very well think otherwise and it'd be fine.

As for "eating elements for making a stronger DF mode", I'd very confidently say that Tartaros DF Natsu is far superior to Tower of Heaven DF Natsu, and Natsu didn't eat anything in Tartaros. DF amplifies the base powers of the owner, the fact of "eating" something is just a means of accessing the mode, not boosting the mode.

You're right, DeS Gray would've fodderized Ur. Still I don't think Gray was trying to prove her anything because he was well aware that ain't her.
That's why i don't understand this fight if gray knew that wasn't wasn't ur why the heck he was holding back ?

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm not disagreeing with how much power he would need to use if he did have to use all 8. If someone takes all 8, then this person will have indeed pushed Serena more than the GoI, twice as much to be exact (or 8/3 times). I see 'going all out' as using your most powerful attacks. I think you can go all out and win low diff.
Alright, then I guess we have different definitions of going all out. IMO, it doesn't make make sense to say that someone went all out if they have the capacity to double their efforts.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Well I wouldn't say that he can't will Dragon Force as thats simply not true. Look at the Natsu and Gray vs Mard Geer fight, where in the closing stages, Natsu entered DF at will and began to dominate Mard.

As for which of Natsu's modes is superior, I'd say that his Dragon Force would be his strongest mode as its said to be the power of a Dragon / incredibly powerful etc. As for Flame Dragon King Mode, I'd say its below Dragon Force and possibly below LFD, as in a way its just an enhanced base mode. So I could see it being Dragon Force >> FDKM / LFDM > LFDM / FDKM > Base.
I believe FDK is superior to LFD, and that's why Natsu has replaced it as his power-up mode.

Dragon Force should still be his strongest form, but it's unknown if Natsu can unlock it on his own will right now. He might have entered it unwittingly during Tartarus, and hasn't actually learned how to consciously enter it. He might only be able to access it again if he's pushed to his limits.

--- Double Post Merged, ---
I think it's easier to say that they did defeat their Historias. I happen to believe that Gray and Lyon are stronger than Ur individually. Ur should be somewhere above Jose's level, and somewhere below Jura's level. Being able to surpass her is reasonable. It's the difficulty in which they did it with that I am contesting.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

There's a difference between not going all out and holding back. I don't believe Gray was going all out because he didn't use his demonize form. But I also don't believe Gray was purposely making his attacks weaker or taking Ur less seriously as an opponent. For example, there's no reason to believe the ice geyser he used against Ur was a weaker effort than his attempts to freeze Ajeel's sands.
I also don't buy the explanation that Gray wanted to show Ur how much his ice-magic has improved. Gray was able to figure out that the Historia wasn't really Ur, and treated her like an enemy. I don't think Gray chose not to use Devil Slaying magic for obscure reasons either. Rather, the same reason Gray doesn't start his fights with Devil Slaying Magic is the same reason Natsu doesn't start his fights with Fire Dragon King spells. He only uses it when he's being pushed to a certain level.

Last edited:

Ice devil slayer

Reaction score
Country
France
Like i said base gray isn't that strong..des gray is..but he wasn't going all out against ur even in base..and i don't understand why since he knew that wasn't ur..

Boomburst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whatever. I guess there's really no point in arguing whether Ur was actually defeated or not because we can't tell for sure. Curse you Hiro for making things so vague -_-

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Look, I'm just going to put how I define things here, and leave it at that:

Average
= Performance against a random opponent
Holding back = Purposely performing below your average
All out = Performing at your peak/limits

Low-diff
= Opponent provides no real challenge (Serena vs Ishgar Saints)
Med-diff = Opponent requires moderate effort to beat (Erza vs. Midnight)
High-diff = Opponent requires a you at your best (Laxus vs Jura)
Extreme-diff = Opponents can turn the tables on you (Acnologia vs Igneel)

GokuSSJG

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Look, I'm just going to put how I define things here, and leave it at that:

Average
= Performance against a random opponent
Holding back = Purposely performing below your average
All out = Performing at your peak/limits

Low-diff
= Opponent provides no real challenge (Serena vs Ishgar Saints)
Med-diff = Opponent requires moderate effort to beat (Erza vs. Midnight)
High-diff = Opponent requires a you at your best (Laxus vs Jura)
Extreme-diff = Opponents can turn the tables on you (Acnologia vs Igneel)
shouldn't Laxus be at extreme diff????he fought a guy who is immune to electricity and he was handicapped.he would have been dead if he didn't use those runes.when he was healed he used Red Lightning and one shotted Wahl.