Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's that kind of stupid decision that keeps mantaining Takei away from the mainstream manga scenario...

He prefers doing 2-3 irrelevant series than focusing on his masterpiece. Such a shame.
 

Jaja

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 9, 2016
Messages
26
Reaction score
15
Age
31
Country
Brazil
What an idiot.
Kenshin reboot instead, please?
I don't think is a good idea. The author destroyed his own series with that awful Rurouni Kenshin: Tokuhitsuban
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
This is Mappa we're talking about, they might have been planning to do it like Ushio and Tora where they speed through cutting anything that isn't absolutely critical (as well as some stuff that is).
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
What an idiot.
Kenshin reboot instead, please?
My thoughts as well. Mappa said they were interested in both, and since we've heard about Shaman King, I'm wondering if it means this will happen. I see no reason for Watsuki to decline seeing he's still working on the series himself...
 
Last edited:

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
Why ? :( no more Faust VIII for me.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I don't think is a good idea. The author destroyed his own series with that awful Rurouni Kenshin: Tokuhitsuban
Just leave that mess alone and focus on the main manga. There's no losing!
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Really disappointed with Takei's decision on declining the anime reboot. I can't even agree with his reasoning because different voice actors and music only makes sense considering it's a completely different studio. What other reason could he have to decline it? It's just more money and relevance for him. Maybe he just doesn't care about the money or just wants to fade into obscurity.

Isn't Takei one of the more stranger mangaka? Didn't he reboot one of his manga like three different times? And then there's rewriting the ending to Shaman King, making a manga with Stan Lee, and now declining an anime reboot. The only other mangaka I remember doing something like this is the Yotsuba one. I think he said something like he felt it couldn't be adapted properly.
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
Even with all my love for Shaman King, I'd rather it only stayed in the manga and with that Xebec adaptation than having another mediocre-bad anime adaptation by MAPPA. I also don't think it's good to have another bad Kenshin anime. Better nothing than rushed stuff.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wouldn't mind a new Kenshin anime if it was a sequel rather than a reboot, Jinchuu was just over 100 chapters so 3 cour would work well for it. I'd rather not have a full reboot though, we've seen the Kyoto arc more than enough times.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
That sucks. MAPPA can't do it like Madhouse and give Shaman King the HxH 2011 treatment? Wasn't the changes made by the mangaka himself for the Ushio to Tora adaptation?


MAPPA is prob rich with Yuri On Ice...So if Shaman King got adapted wouldn't it run longer than Ushio to Tora? Or is that not how it works? I would assume their staff would grow after that and they could outsource too.
 

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
MAPPA is prob rich with Yuri On Ice...So if Shaman King got adapted wouldn't it run longer than Ushio to Tora? Or is that not how it works? I would assume their staff would grow after that and they could outsource too.
MAPPA didn't earn much money with Yuri on ice because the studio was at the bottom of the production committee. they just had a budget to animate it and the animation issues were a problem because they didn't have time to finish the episodes before the airing date.

Btw I would have liked a Shaman King reboot, I watched the anime when I was little and I like it. Maybe that's because I still have to read the manga so I don't know about the changes. A new adaptation would have been awesome.
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If you follow Takei through the years you'd see why he would decline if they couldn't bring back the original cast and music since he still holds them in high regard to this day and given that his waifu Anna was voiced by Megumi Hayashibara there's no way he would accept anything less. We've seen with the recently forgotten D.Grayman Hollow that replacing your cast and music can be detrimental to bringing back fans let alone attracting new ones especially when all the VAs you replace barring The Earl are still active and you replace them with shitty ones (Lavi). As an financial investment he should have done it given that remakes such as HxH 2011 or new adaptations such as Jojo brought a plethora of new fans to them and increased sales of the manga and let's face it nobody cares enough about Flowers as it is now despite the fact that it was the most popular title from a dead magazine.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What an idiot.
Kenshin reboot instead, please?
I wanna say no because if they fuck it up it'll destroy all the good will those live action movies brought to the franchise and they can end up being as bad as those Shin Kenshin OVAs but a reboot would be the best bet since Watsuki has already "rebooted" it in the sense already and it would tie in well with the upcoming sequel.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Well the key difference is that DGM Hollow was a sequel season, not a reboot, so it has issues of continuity, which a reboot of Shaman King wouldn't. I understand that he might hold the old VAs in high regard, but I think it's a silly reason to refuse a new anime adaptation. He shouldn't expect all of the same cast in a new anime adaptation.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Ushio to Tora having 39 episodes is a decision made by the author himself while the staff were those that made HxH 2011. Thay wanted to animate the whole thing and were bummed by this and it had an article about it. MAPPA animating Kenshin in 2 years to celbrate 25 years for it while advancing or finishing the Hokkaido arc would be a blessing.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Is somebody watching Eldlive? I can't remember watching something so bad in a looong time. The plot makes no sense. It's so childish but at the same time with violent scenes and all... I'm so lost on this...

The only thing that I liked is the Reborn references in almost every episode.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I haven't watched it simply because of Amano being the creator. I still have nightmares about KHR's writing.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well the key difference is that DGM Hollow was a sequel season, not a reboot, so it has issues of continuity, which a reboot of Shaman King wouldn't. I understand that he might hold the old VAs in high regard, but I think it's a silly reason to refuse a new anime adaptation. He shouldn't expect all of the same cast in a new anime adaptation.
I was just bringing up an example of the importance of retaining cast and music for familiarity sake and of course this won't apply to every anime adaptation but Japan does take it very seriously. Its silly by a logical stance but makes sense when you consider how popular SK was back then and how crazy Japan is in regards to cast replacements.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Is somebody watching Eldlive? I can't remember watching something so bad in a looong time. The plot makes no sense. It's so childish but at the same time with violent scenes and all... I'm so lost on this...
You just described Reborn.

Anyways Eldive is a complete bust and shouldn't have been animated. If you're among the few non-female fans of Reborn who still care about Amano....nah I still wouldn't recommend it.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is somebody watching Eldlive?
Theres something off about the character designs for the anime, they are like 98% there with being attractive but just 2% away from there just being something I cant pinpoint about them, like Gucci, sometimes he ends up looking pretty badly drawn.

I love the series though, and I think Chuuta is hilarious, wish he wasnt so pervy. Anime really picked up after the slow first three episodes.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm still watching eldlive, it feels like it should be an early morning kids show with the dumb humour and bright colours and goofy aliens (which I don't mind, I like silly kids shows) but then suddenly gore.

It's not the most awkward tonal dissonance I've seen (that award goes to Akame ga Kill, what an utter garbage series that was) but it just feels badly constructed. I remember feeling somewhat the same way about what I read of Hitman Reborn after it switched to action but I dropped that after the first two action arcs so I don't know if it ever improved.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I remember feeling somewhat the same way about what I read of Hitman Reborn after it switched to action but I dropped that after the first two action arcs so I don't know if it ever improved.
It didn't. For me, the Varia arc was the peak of the entire manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top