Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Take To Love Ru as an example, the series is built around ecchi, the rest doesn't matter at all, just the ecchi matters. We all know how bad that thing is.
Therefore, it is hard to believe that Yuragi has a good storytelling with the level of ecchi it has. For me, everybody is just ignoring all the problems because they like the ecchi. In short, ecchi readers are not reliable at all. Anyway, I have to see for myself, from Google Images, it is just boobs and butts everywhere, we know that there is no dialogue when there are boobs and butts involved, so...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Take To Love Ru as an example, the series is built around ecchi, the rest doesn't matter at all, just the ecchi matters. We all know how bad that thing is.
Therefore, it is hard to believe that Yuragi has a good storytelling with the level of ecchi it has. For me, everybody is just ignoring all the problems because they like the ecchi. In short, ecchi readers are not reliable at all. Anyway, I have to see for myself, from Google Images, it is just boobs and butts everywhere, we know that there is not dialogue when there are boobs and butts involved, so...
How many goddamm times have you been told that many of us don't like ecchi manga, but love the characters and writing of Yuragi.
Stop ignoring reality in favor of blindly believing what you want to reality to look like.
You.
Are.
Judging.
A.
Book.
By.
Its.
Cover.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Hey, I looked up sone pictures of Star Trek: TNG on Google. Spaceships battles and lazer guns? Clearly just mindless action bullshit.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
To Love Ru is great though, Darkness especially.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To Love Ru is great though, Darkness especially.
I still remember the time when I tried to read TLR... The monster putting his tentacles in places I cannot mention here at this time of the day. XD
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Yuragi aint like Shokugeki no Soma that uses fan service poorly.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yuragi aint like Shokugeki no Soma that uses fan service poorly.
Ecchi is not the main point of Shokugeki no Soma, it is just a feature, a well used feature by the way. One of the few that makes ecchi useful.
What do you think it is a well used ecchi?
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I could never get with Souma's foodgasms, this coming from someone who never minds fanservice. It's just weird. Erina's are the only good ones honestly. Good ecchi is like panty shots and awkward camera angles or appealing fanservice scenes when the mood isn't serious like bath scenes or beach days. At least in my opinion
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Ecchi is not the main point of Shokugeki no Soma, it is just a feature, a well used feature by the way. One of the few that makes ecchi useful.
What do you think it is a well used ecchi?
Huh, have you considered that ecchi is just a feature of Yuragi rather than the main point which you've been told over and over and over?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure about Yuragi but... Without foodgasms, Souma would never became what it is today....

It's okay to not like the series because of this "features"... But to say that without them it would be as good as it is... Is just too much...
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure about Yuragi but... Without foodgasms, Souma would never became what it is today....

It's okay to not like the series because of this "features"... But to say that without them it would be as good as it is... Is just too much...
It wouldn't be the same at all, I agree... It is a well made and used feature and appealed to Jump readers without having to throw ecchi at readers' face every page. It has become something rare by the way, I think the authors are trying to save the good ideas for the best parts of the series.
We know that ecchi is something that make people read something, I remember that Soul Eater had a lot of ecchi at the beginning, I remember that somewhere the author said that it was just to make his case and catch the attention of the readers. In fact, ecchi became much less frequent after the first volumes.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
I think there needs to be a distinction between "Harem" Stories and "Romance" Stories. Personally I consider Yuragi more of a harem story rather than a genuine romance. Though that may be because even reading 50 chapters in I still can't see the author making the attempt to expand the characters beyond their archetypes.

I believe that Romance manga are far from dead but they are unlikely to survive in Jump. Especially when the entire TOC system doesn't really seem to reward the slow buildup in a romance over intense spectacle.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Huh, have you considered that ecchi is just a feature of Yuragi rather than the main point which you've been told over and over and over?
It is a matter of frequency. Shokugeki no Soma didn't have a foodgasm every single chapter.
Do you mean that they have the same frequency when it comes to ecchi? Do you believe that VIZ will publish Yuragi at some point like they did with SnS?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think there needs to be a distinction between "Harem" Stories and "Romance" Stories. Personally I consider Yuragi more of a harem story rather than a genuine romance. Though that may be because even reading 50 chapters in I still can't see the author making the attempt to expand the characters beyond their archetypes.

I believe that Romance manga are far from dead but they are unlikely to survive in Jump.
Harem is a romance where there is a dispute among many girls for the protagonists. 90% of the romances I saw or read where harem, really...
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
There's no such thing as a shounen romance manga, they all end before any actual romance starts.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
It is a matter of frequency. Shokugeki no Soma didn't have a foodgasm every single chapter.
Do you mean that they have the same frequency when it comes to ecchi? Do you believe that VIZ will publish Yuragi at some point like they did with SnS?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Harem is a romance where there is a dispute among many girls for the protagonists. 90% of the romances I saw or read where harem, really...
Perhaps I didn't word myself as well as I should have. I make the distinction between the two based on what the story seems to be emphasizing.

For example: School Rumble there are multiple girls interested in the protagonist but throughout there is a stronger emphasis on personal interaction than harem antics.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa: While the story does have harem elements I'd argue that it is more of a romance story due the the characters changing over the course of the story as well as their relationships with one another.

To Love-ru: Character interaction seems to take a backseat in favor of contriving as many situations as possible to shove the protagonist's head into as many perverse situations as possible.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There's no such thing as a shounen romance manga, they all end before any actual romance starts.
I agree, though a manga that has a set romance that gets explored in flash backs periodically as well as follow whatever the story is about could theoretically survive but the likely hood of a story like that ever being made is slim to none.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top