Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Not entirely sure where the author intends to take Poro's story and truthfully I'm not exactly sold on the basic premise. Although I could easily see it taking a Mob Psycho approach where Poro can find self worth independent from his demon powers. Still I'm not entirely sure why the author bothered to make the protagonist 2000 years old. Its just difficult for me to imagine a 2000 year old with the mentality of a pre-teen going to school and have him act as the protagonist.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
a bit harder to judge, because ppl making the fanart made it before reading the content. Those same people could have hated it once it actually came out.

But like I said. I'm not saying this absolutely means that it'll be a success. I just think ppl making fanart early is a big Postive, and it seems like ppl legitimately enjoyed it. I'd say fan art was probably a positive for that series with the green haired girl as well, even if it didn't take off
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

What's Puta/Yuro?
Poro + Yuta / Yuta + Poro. It's that sad.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
Not entirely sure where the author intends to take Poro's story and truthfully I'm not exactly sold on the basic premise. Although I could easily see it taking a Mob Psycho approach where Poro can find self worth independent from his demon powers. Still I'm not entirely sure why the author bothered to make the protagonist 2000 years old. Its just difficult for me to imagine a 2000 year old with the mentality of a pre-teen and have him act as the protagonist.
I think it depends on the environment he lived in, age doesn't matter if you were surrounded by idiots in those thousands of years.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Poro + Yuta / Yuta + Poro. It's that sad.
Oooh I just thought it was something else entirely. But if anything helps this survive it'll be the fujos.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Not entirely sure where the author intends to take Poro's story and truthfully I'm not exactly sold on the basic premise. Although I could easily see it taking a Mob Psycho approach where Poro can find self worth independent from his demon powers. Still I'm not entirely sure why the author bothered to make the protagonist 2000 years old. Its just difficult for me to imagine a 2000 year old with the mentality of a pre-teen going to school and have him act as the protagonist.
The way I imagined it was that the aging process and mentality of the demons are different. Like, 2000 for a Demon is still considered adolescents.

Sort of like in Yu Yu Hakusho. How Koenma is thousands of years old, but he still looks and acts(for the most part) like a baby
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Loved the first chapter of Poro, it was really cute and made me laugh a couple of times (which hasn't happened with a manga/anime in a while). I haven't read Spring Weapon yet so I couldn't notice any similarities between them.

Out of the new series out so far, I feel that only U19 will be a guaranteed axe. If Jump is fine with 2 romance series and they get rid of one of the gag manga, then I can see Poro and Nisekoi 2.0 staying. Especially the former with it's its marketing potential with the fujo fanbase.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Hoping Tamura's series gets translated on Thursday since she's not a newbie
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This may just be my think but does anyone else get strong OPM vibes off of Poro? Not saying that's a bad thing though since OPM is a very liked manga and all but it just struck me as extremely similar.

On a separate note who here thinks that if Poro survives to a natural end that it'll end with an arc that takes Poro and company to the Demon World where Poro's ranking as #1 is revoked and he has to either fight in a tournament to regain his princely status, or (again following that his #1 ranking was revoked and a new king is crowned at the end of the year) he'll do a sort of coup d'etat where he battles his way through the castle and faces off against the acting King to so he can enact his plans on making the demon world like the human one. Of course this is subject to change if the author down plays the battles by a lot or make them so few and far between that it be unlikely for something like that to ever happen.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
This may just be my think but does anyone else get strong OPM vibes off of Poro? Not saying that's a bad thing though since OPM is a very liked manga and all but it just struck me as extremely similar.
I get more Mob Psycho 100 vibes if anything.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
One Punch protagonist is popular to an extent thanks to One Punch Man, look at Yuragi.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yup, a feature that's abused for most food reactions and is suppose to some sort of shock value? It's pretty pointless and the writing is subpar at times but that's a different discussion.

I don't know...but SnS certainly doesn't fall under that category.
Foodgasms can be everything, but they aren't pointless. The majority of ecchi are pointless, SnS is remarkable because it is useful.

How can you say something is bad if you don't know what is good?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Foodgasms can be everything, but they aren't pointless. The majority of ecchi are pointless, SnS is remarkable because it is useful.

How can you say something is bad if you don't know what is good?
It losses it's value when it's abused to that extent. The homages are good once in a while and no it's not useful by no means. It feels like the artist/author wants it to be the pay off of the shokugeki. It's just bad.


Oh stop, I'm saying it's bad. It doesn't matter if I don't know what is good since I'm not trying to compare it to other series.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It losses it's value when it's abused to that extent. The homages are good once in a while and no it's not useful by no means. It feels like the artist/author wants it to be the pay off of the shokugeki. It's just bad.


Oh stop, I'm saying it's bad. It doesn't matter if I don't know what is good since I'm not trying to compare it to other series.
It has become rare currently, like I said, I think the authors are trying to save the good ones for more important moments.

You said that it is bad based on nonsense then because you are saying that something is bad without any parameter whatsoever.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
A guy can dream
We all can but it's not as simple as that...

You and your pessimism.
It's no pessimism... I'll be working with it myself... And this thursday we have Boruto (despite not having One Piece) and all the other jump series... Generarly we start working with the easiest to translate/edit series. A 56 page one with color pages and probably a lot of redraws wont be one of the firsts...
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
http://mainichi.jp/articles/20170220/dyo/00m/200/016000c

The Yomiuri TV Producer for Heroaca, Nagai Koji, predicts that Heroaca will be the best TV Series this year. He says that of the produced material so far, its all incredibly well done. He feels that Heroaca has the most momentum of the new series in jump right now and by pairing it up with Conan, he plans to make Saturday evening anime as exciting as possible.

While that prediction will hold up or not remains to be seen but the fact that lots of Japanese fans on Twitter, 2ch, etc, are excited for this series is true. I read one person saying that they might simply just stay in front of the TV all saturday evening.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Well every bit of animation we've seen for S2 looks great and really polished. While I can't say what S2 will actually be like, it's clear more work and talent has gone into this season. Again, just give me 2 cours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top