Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In the same thread that dies on the notion that the Toriko anime was not a failure and had a good boost for the source of material goes back in say that the MHA anime "fumbled the ball" despite the fact that it did better in its first year with an anime than Toriko did? And now apparently Black Clover will sell two times the amount with an anime despite their being no evidence of that happening? You guys sure have your priorities twisted.
I said fumbled, not outright failed. It's obvious the MHA anime underperformed. We've already been over this. I'm saying that Jump is likely expecting a bigger post-anime boost out of BC, and they're likely actively taking precautions to make sure that happens. You guys really need to stop being so defensive with MHA.

Is the opinion that BC sells 600k or more post-anime really optimistic? Yeah, of course. But, I can't see any other reason why Jump would promote something to that level unless they're expecting a huge post-anime boost.

And yeah, they tried that with Toriko and failed, but even though I VASTLY prefer Toriko to BC, I can admit BC is more marketable with broader appeal, which likely explains why they feel safe in promoting BC.

Also, you keep citing BC's sales as justification, even though they don't show the whole picture. We really don't know the digital sales, since they're never released, but of course, you'll continue to downplay that when even Kaizou 10 admitted digital sales are likely contributing to why overall manga sales for the entire industry are lowering.

I'm just tired of this armchair analyst know-it-all conspiracy theory bullshit that's spouted every time BC gets mentioned. You guys don't know more than Shueisha does, so stop fucking acting like you do.

Shueisha is a business first and foremost. You don't promote something for no good reason. BC is getting massive promotion FOR A REASON.

Deal.

With.

It.
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
Nakurawari said:
Are you kidding me? Shigaraki is the main villain.
For me Shiggy is one of the protagonist.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I said fumbled, not outright failed. It's obvious the MHA anime underperformed. We've already been over this. I'm saying that Jump is likely expecting a bigger post-anime boost out of BC, and they're likely actively taking precautions to make sure that happens. You guys really need to stop being so defensive with MHA.
By what account exactly? We don't know what Shuiesha was expecting from it to begin with all we got are the hard numbers it produced which was a 4k average in BD/DVD sales, 7th highest selling manga of 2016 and the 19th most profitable media franchise of 2016. So in your opinion it underperformed based on the criteria you created for yourself and not one judge by Shueisha. And the very fact that they're giving BC to Pierrot means they don't really have much faith in it and before you bring up Naruto and Bleach may I remind you that they're not the only Jump anime they've handled (Remember Beelzebub?) and both of them were already top sellers before their respective anime accelerated them so to say they're an "Golden ticket" when they're sitting on top of two recent Shueisha adaptation failures (Twin Star Exorcist and Eldive) your prediction seem more like blind optimism.

But, I can't see any other reason why Jump would promote something to that level unless they're expecting a huge post-anime boost.
You know Black Clover isn't the first Jump series to get such a push right? It feels worthless to bring up Toriko at this point since its just a punching bag now.

And yeah, they tried that with Toriko and failed, but even though I VASTLY prefer Toriko to BC, I can admit BC is more marketable with broader appeal, which likely explains why they feel safe in promoting BC.
Toriko was doing much better than BC before the anime boost. Now we can say all the shit we can about editorial push or how BC is really popular with little kids and we shouldn't take online reception seriously but we literally know nothing in regards to its reception in Japan we just know that its being plastered everywhere despite the fact that a new series like Promised Neverland is already closing in on it. I feel that we won't know how people really feel about BC until the anime comes out and we'll see how well it does but at this point its just white noise.

Also, you keep citing BC's sales as justification, even though they don't show the whole picture. We really don't know the digital sales, since they're never released, but of course, you'll continue to downplay that when even Kaizou 10 admitted digital sales are likely contributing to why overall manga sales for the entire industry are lowering.
One thing to know about digital sales is that don't make huge difference in sales. Japan still relishes print media if they didn't we wouldn't be getting reports of manga stocks being low despite a Digital version being readily available. But yeah you might be right Black Clover is actually a sales juggernaut on kindle and we just don't know it.

I'm just tired of this armchair analyst know-it-all conspiracy theory bullshit that's spouted every time BC gets mentioned. You guys don't know more than Shueisha does, so stop fucking acting like you do.
Says the guy who claims that MHA underperformed.

Shueisha is a business first and foremost. You don't promote something for no good reason. BC is getting massive promotion FOR A REASON.

Deal.

With.

It.
I have a secret for you...Shuiesha can make mistakes and they've done so a lot of times

>Let's make the Beelzebub anime centered for kids because that'll increase our revenue
>Toriko will be a hit alongside One Piece, Naruto and Dragonball so we need to plaster it alongside those three
>The Yasuhiro Kanō saga
>canceling Saint Seiya


Among others, they're not exactly flawless in their business practices an pushing BC is just as much of a gamble as Toriko so to say "they know what they're doing" is a bit near-sighted.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Let's talk about something positive

I am catching up to MHA, pretty fun series. I think i'm at chapter 85, around the part when
Bakugou telling the Villain Alliance to fuck off
and I think it is the 2nd coolest part in the manga. Soon I will be able to join the discussion on here :derp:teehee

Stain is the best villain. Todoroki is one of those bad ass OP white hair character, see him in other manga. Bakugou is more interesting than Deku, sorry Deku fan.

However, I'm not a fan of
One for All and All for One
stuff. Sounds too cheesey

I'll read BC when Fairy Tail finished.

Tsuyu Asui best girl
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Let's talk about something positive

I am catching up to MHA, pretty fun series. I think i'm at chapter 85, around the part when
Bakugou telling the Villain Alliance to fuck off
and I think it is the 2nd coolest part in the manga. Soon I will be able to join the discussion on here :derp:teehee
Aw man, I wish I could delete my memory of the arc you're in so I could read it again with a fresh mind. I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but you're close to the best fight I've read in years.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bakugou is more interesting than Deku, sorry Deku fan.

However, I'm not a fan of
One for All and All for One
stuff. Sounds too cheesey

I'll read BC when Fairy Tail finished.

Tsuyu Asui best girl
Overall Bakugo feels like the best protagonist presented in the series, not knocking Deku but his character at times feels rather dry in terms of overall development. I'm of the small percentage that think Deku could've stayed quirkless and the series still be just as good as it is now and it could've given him a nice dynamic within the story with how he interacts with other students, society, and villains.

You probably won't have to wait long for that since Fairy Tail is in its final arc, that is if your up to date with the manga.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Deku isn't the most interesting character but it's not even supposed to be that way, he's written to be plain, heck that's what his name means

The issue is just that there would just be unavoidable asspulls. There's no way he's going to be able to be at the top with no quirk

1. He wouldn't be able to get into UA in the first place
2. All the fights against top tier opponents just wouldn't make sense, especially with Horikoshis writing style. Your brain only gets you so far, you gotta having the strength as well
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Deku isn't the most interesting character but it's not even supposed to be that way, he's written to be plain, heck that's what his name means

The issue is just that there would just be unavoidable asspulls. There's no way he's going to be able to be at the top with no quirk

1. He wouldn't be able to get into UA in the first place
2. All the fights against top tier opponents just wouldn't make sense, especially with Horikoshis writing style. Your brain only gets you so far, you gotta having the strength as well
If memory serves in the early chapters of MHA Deku did state that UA did not have a rule against quirkless students getting in and heck there are multiple occasions where we've witnessed quirks that amount to basically be quirkless anyway. While I can agree that certain instances where plot armor would most likely kick if a writer is good then they can mold the story in a way to avoid those circumstances as often as possible.

The whole idea that "brains only gets you so far" to me is a sorry excuse that a writer would use when they cannot come up with a good but still believable way for a character to overcome an opposition in any form.

Also is it so wrong to want a MC in a manga not have an OP ability and just be a legitimate underdog. The whole counter argument of he can't completely control his power so he's still an underdog invalidates itself because regardless the ability itself is still OP anyway.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Just saying, how many action/adventure series currently sell over 600k? I'm sure I'll forget a few, but OP, AoT, TG:RE, Kingdom, OPM, SDS (does it anymore?)... There are not many and all those series have massive appeal to multiple audiences, mainly targeted towards older audiences. Sure kids may be the main demographic in Jump, but they are not the ones with the money. I just don't think BC has anywhere near the kind of target audience of any of these series. Some of you really think BC will be one of the elusive few to make it into those ranks? The chance of any series making it there is incredibly slim and I think people are underestimating that. No amount of pushing can make a series that popular, the slots just happen to line up.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
The thing I like about MHA villain is that, he is growing along side the main character, he's immature, makes mistakes, so it's refreshing to see a main character and a main villain growing along side together.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
The thing I like about MHA villain is that, he is growing along side the main character, he's immature, makes mistakes, so it's refreshing to see a main character and a main villain growing along side together.
I think we need to get an arc from the perspective of Shigaraki & friends.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Cover #13

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---




My Hero Academia Season 2 New Key Visual

Harapeko no Marie Lead CP
 
Last edited:

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It seems Boruto will air on a different day and timeslot than Shippuuden.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Boruto TV Anime Key Visual


Hungry Marie Lead CP

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
MHA Info on Vol. 14 OVA
毎週水曜: every wednesday.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Isn't the 50th anniversary 2018 though?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Isn't the 50th anniversary 2018 though?
yes, but you have to still have to prep it, build up hype, all that cool stuffs.

If they keep that exhibition to 2020, it would be a cool attraction for Japan 2020 Olympic since anime/game characters are a big part of Japan 2020 Olympic.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
That Hungry Marie cp is sick.. another Hilda? <3
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Boruto TV Anime Key Visual


Hungry Marie Lead CP

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
MHA Info on Vol. 14 OVA
This opens up the possibility that Black Clover might take Naruto's Thursday time-slot, provided they're not getting rid of it. Its been years since Naruto appeared in the top ten weekly ratings chart even when the threshold was around 2.0, so Black Clover airing there might not really give it a huge boost but again time will tell. While this possibility now exists, its just as likely they're moving around programs to make space for other stuff. Nichigo also ends this Winter 2017 to make way for some other program and MBS created Anisata, a 1 hour anime block airing at 7 am saturday mornings so it all basically falls to who else is in the production committee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top