Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
General consensus seems to pacing, but my personal issue with the series is mainly Luffy, the series redundancy and the sense of danger.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think the majority of criticism towards One Piece, from both readers and non-readers are related to length. Non-readers doesn't read the series because they think it is too long and will need a very long time to catch up. The readers criticize some arcs because of it length and sometimes the lack of purpose from some characters (aka running around the entire arc). I am aware of these problems as a reader, but I think there isn't much Oda can do about it. One Piece is an epic manga, it has a lot of characters and the events happening in that moment will influence the story for a long time and in many places in the world of the story. The arcs generally has a lot of fronts that has to be showed, ones more important and others less important. Oda has to manage a lot of variables to make it good, really... I think the length and sometimes the lack of purpose from some characters are a small price to pay. In the end, everything comes together magnificently well, it is astonishing how Oda can relate things that looked unrelated.

Dressrosa was a key arc and we will feel its impact for a long time so it is sad to see people dropping the series in this arc, I saw a lot of people doing such a thing. The series has becoming better and better lately mostly because of Dressrosa events. So it is always important to have in mind the big picture when reading One Piece, not only what is happening at that moment. Sanji disappearance in Dressrosa, which was the joke of the entire arc, was the trigger for a huge chain of events that brought up things from way back to Fisherman Island, which is in turn is considered by a lot of people a filler arc.
 
Last edited:

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
On last week's jump that were a preview image about the
Straw Haw Hat pirates X Big Mom Pirates.

I think the shit will get serious from here on.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think the majority of criticism towards One Piece, from both readers and non-readers are related to length. Non-readers doesn't read the series because they think it is too long and will need a very long time to catch up. The readers criticize some arcs because of it length and sometimes the lack of purpose from some characters (aka running around the entire arc). I am aware of these problems as a reader, but I think there isn't much Oda can do about it. One Piece is an epic manga, it has a lot of characters and the events happening in that moment will influence the story for a long time and in many places in the world of the story. The arcs generally has a lot of fronts that has to be showed, ones more important and others less important. Oda has to manage a lot of variables to make it good, really... I think the length and sometimes the lack of purpose from some characters are a small price to pay. In the end, everything comes together magnificently well, it is astonishing how Oda can relate things that looked unrelated.

Dressrosa was a key arc and we will feel its impact for a long time so it is sad to see people dropping the series in this arc, I saw a lot of people doing such a thing. The series has becoming better and better lately mostly because of Dressrosa events. So it is always important to have in mind the big picture when reading One Piece, not only what is happening at that moment. Sanji disappearance in Dressrosa, which was the joke of the entire arc, was the trigger for a huge chain of events that brought up things from way back to Fisherman Island, which is in turn is considered by a lot of people a filler arc.
No ones discounting that things connect from other arcs, but think the arcs themselves could be shorten by a small margin, as for the characters that lack a purpose if they don't actually help the arc along then they shouldn't be show cased to cut down on the needles page buffers.
 
Last edited:

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think people dropped One Piece because its becoming a chore to do instead of fun most of the complaints I been hearing is that one piece rehashes the plot with each island or land they visit, they say its always about a land being controlled by the villian of that arc and People being enslaved by him or her and Luffy and the strawhats always come to save the day. this happens with 70% of the manga I think some just got bored with it. but then all long running manga suffer from getting stale I hope This does't happen with MHA or other current manga.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
I think people dropped One Piece because its becoming a chore to do instead of fun most of the complaints I been hearing is that one piece rehashes the plot with each island or land they visit, they say its always about a land being controlled by the villian of that arc and People being enslaved by him or her and Luffy and the strawhats always come to save the day. this happens with 70% of the manga I think some just got bored with it. but then all long running manga suffer from getting stale I hope This does't happen with MHA or other current manga.
I think it has something to do with the sheer amount of time One Piece has been running. Unless OP goes for a genre or tone shift there are only so many ways the audience can see the main cast in certain lights. Superhero comics seem to have this issue after going on for so long, so the universe reboots itself every so often to provide new avenues to explore established characters with. Not necessarily for the better though as seen in DC'New 52 lineup. However it can breath new life into a character if done right as seen in the Rebirth line or anything post-Crisis on Infinite Earth.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I saw one guy saying he didn't like Zou because it didn't have enough fights.

He then went on to praise Fishman Island for mixing the lore and crew shenanigans into the action really well and complained about Zou lacking those though so I think he was just trolling.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
Did Oda ever talk about why the boobs of his female characters are getting bigger? That's my only complaint about One Piece.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
No ones discounting that things connect from other arcs, but think the arcs themselves could be shorten by a small margin, as for the characters that lack a purpose if they don't actually help the arc along then they shouldn't be show cased to cut down on the needles page buffers.
Like I said, due to multiples fronts it is very hard to be short with 20 pages per week. I doesn't matter if it is long as long as the chapters are useful to the story as a whole and Oda has the ability to do it, all chapters are meaningful in some way. It is really hard to say "it could be taken out" because it can be relevant later. Oh, they do help the arcs, but they can take a long time to read the point where they are useful, it is a problem in a big world like One Piece. Any manga in Jump right now have arcs in such large places like One Piece, this is insane, it is an entire island most of the arcs.

I think Big Mom's arc has been shorter than the recent ones, I think they are already going to the climax when other arcs were just beginning at this stage.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Did Oda ever talk about why the boobs of his female characters are getting bigger? That's my only complaint about One Piece.
I know what you mean... Big Mom ones are especially big. :derp
I can only see base for this complain when it comes to figures, but in the manga... Not that much...
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Did Oda ever talk about why the boobs of his female characters are getting bigger? That's my only complaint about One Piece.
Somewhat explained in volume 78 SBS. D stands for Dokusha (Reader) and O stands for Oda.
D: We realized that Robin has huge breasts.

We checked from the side, and Nami also has huge breasts.

Why do they both have such huge breasts?

And could it be Oda-san's preference?

That was a question from us two 10-year-olds. P.N. Sakucchan & Yuzu-chan

O: I keep saying this, but I'm just bringing the young boys' dreams to life! All of humanity on earth! I command your breasts to grow~!

Read more
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_78
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oda said the words! Boobs for all tastes! :derp
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
That's the greatest explanation I've ever heard in my life. Dicks out for Oda. Seeing 10 year olds write that though makes me feel old and I'm not even old.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I liked U19 3rd chapter alot. The cast of characters seem to be enjoyable.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Poro chapter 2 is fun to read. Although it still failed to make me laugh. Although, I like it much more than Samon-kun summoner.

U19 is still meh. If Viz dropped it I wouldn't miss it too much. However, I did vote for Poro/U19 on the 3rd and 4th spot (totally forgot to vote for Hungry Marie haha).

But regardless, if they do well then good for the authors.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Poro chapter 2 is kinda meh,no comedy & because the MC is OP as fu*k , the fight was boring.
U19 pacing is really slow.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top