Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
To change the topic, what's everyone's single favourite character design in WSJ?
The sixth JoJo, Jolyne Kujo, Äs Nödt from Bleach(guy was creepy as hell), Edo Tensei Madara Uchiha and I need to admit, I enjoy the design of Noelle Silva from Black Clover. Oh and the Butterfly Pillar from Kimetsu no Yaiba, forgot her name, though.
 
Last edited:

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I ask the opposite. Which is the character design that inspires you to not read a manga? Like, the one you find unispiring and bland? For me by now it´s Asta. He really looks more like a supporting of terciary character, not so much the lead of his series
To inquire further, what makes him look like a supporting or tertiary character to you? What do you consider to be good main character design because in recent years, MC designs have become starkly plain. Deku is based on this idea to be plain and lot of the recent 6 MCs also echo this idea of plainness with maybe the MC from U19 being slightly different. Other than that, most mangaka in general have almost decided to go and almost copy Togashi with HxH in that if the main character is plain, the supporting characters all shine that much better.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I ask the opposite. Which is the character design that inspires you to not read a manga? Like, the one you find unispiring and bland? For me by now it´s Asta. He really looks more like a supporting of terciary character, not so much the lead of his series
Yeah, Asta's design is quite bland.
Had problems with the art of Kimetsu no Yaiba. Only started to read it, after I've read repeatedly prases in this thread.
Oh and reaaally not a fan of Amano's art. I mean, I get it, it's very beautiful. But for my taste, "TOO pretty" in lack of a better term. Though I need to add, I only watched the first episode of the anime and read the last chapters of the manga. But the artstyle really didnt convince me to pick it up.
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Not a fan of Boichi's art on Dr.Stone. You guys can say I got spoiled by Murata's artwork from Inugaki's previous work.

His characters design are weird and they don't look shonen-y to me. He still has some of that seinen-artwork in the mix. It's not something I'll buy and reread to appreciate the art.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I always though the problem with Asta's design was that it's a bit too main character-y, like the joke generic jump battle shounen mc you see as gags in some other series where they're just a combination of other popular main characters.

Of the current lineup Deku would be the one I'd call bland, he's your pretty standard as-plain-as possible tsuna/rito type mc.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I ask the opposite. Which is the character design that inspires you to not read a manga? Like, the one you find unispiring and bland? For me by now it´s Asta. He really looks more like a supporting of terciary character, not so much the lead of his series
I would say the MC of SWOT I hated his design I only like the main girl design (For Reasons) but that didn't help me want to read it and THANK GOD I didn't.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The reason I avoided SWOT is because it was called SWOT. Even if it had somehow been a great long running series the name would still have kept me from wanting to try it out.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
My favorite character design of all time is pretty hard to decide on, but I do have some from certain series. Stain, PIG ASSAULT, Zaraki Kenpachi, Jotaro, Trafalgar Law, Reborn (adult and baby), Nagisa, Bokuto, Kumagawa, Alice and Souma, Can't think of any other at the moment.

Designs I really don't like though. Tsuna (his entire character), most ugly characters in One Piece, Jonathan Joestar, Asta, many Naruto characters.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
To inquire further, what makes him look like a supporting or tertiary character to you? What do you consider to be good main character design because in recent years, MC designs have become starkly plain. Deku is based on this idea to be plain and lot of the recent 6 MCs also echo this idea of plainness with maybe the MC from U19 being slightly different. Other than that, most mangaka in general have almost decided to go and almost copy Togashi with HxH in that if the main character is plain, the supporting characters all shine that much better.
according to Toriyama having a plain and simple mc makes the mangaka job easier since he's going to draw him many many times

compared to other characters that appeared for an arc or every now and then

remember Cyborg Roggy? the mangaka made the mc very complicated and overdesign him and as a result he kept forgetting to draw his earrings

seeing the author miniseries in Giga, he didn't learn his lesson and overdesigned the living hell outta of the mc
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'll have to think over poor designs a bit longer,but I absolutely cannot read KnY because of the art. Rokkutsu-san oneshot have me nightmare as well.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
HQ's style is something that prevents me from reading it, especially the characters and their proportions. The backgrounds look normal, but with the abnormal characters the style is just weird for me.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Not a fan of Boichi's art on Dr.Stone. You guys can say I got spoiled by Murata's artwork from Inugaki's previous work.

His characters design are weird and they don't look shonen-y to me. He still has some of that seinen-artwork in the mix. It's not something I'll buy and reread to appreciate the art.
I Never did like Sun Rock Ken But Dr. Stone looks likeable
His Female character design are eh
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Haikyuu's art can bother me at times from what I skim through in the recent chapters. It's one of the biggest reasons why I stick with the anime.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
My favorite character design of all time is pretty hard to decide on, but I do have some from certain series. Stain, PIG ASSAULT, Zaraki Kenpachi, Jotaro, Trafalgar Law, Reborn (adult and baby), Nagisa, Bokuto, Kumagawa, Alice and Souma, Can't think of any other at the moment.
How the hell did I forget about Stain?! IIRC Horikoshi doesn't like drawing him because he put too much detail into his scarf of all things.
I'll have to think over poor designs a bit longer,but I absolutely cannot read KnY because of the art. Rokkutsu-san oneshot have me nightmare as well.
Kimetsu's art is slowly getting better fortunately.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
What do you guys think Mihawk (OP) character design? he strikes me a western kinda character, his character design reminds me Vendetta.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Character designs I don't really care for would have to be Rangiku from Bleach, Venessa from Black Clover, and Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho. I know that its just something that happens every so often in manga but I don't really like when the author "OVER DOES" the design of women, though the reason behind Kurama is because for the longest time I thought he was a girl which really bugs me that Togashi made him look that way.

What do you guys think Mihawk (OP) character design? he strikes me a western kinda character, his character design reminds me Vendetta.
I like his design minus the sword when you add the sword in it greatly detracts from the design to me.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I like his design minus the sword when you add the sword in it greatly detracts from the design to me.
And I thought that cool big ass sword made his character design more eye-catching.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Characters with a sword/swords are ten times cooler than those without. This is a fact by Ashirogi Muto mangaka.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And I thought that cool big ass sword made his character design more eye-catching.
The size of the blade isn't the issue it's more the unnecessarily huge guard that kills it for me had the guard been made half the size it would've been fine.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
The size of the blade isn't the issue it's more the unnecessarily huge guard that kills it for me had the guard been made half the size it would've been fine.
Oh, i see, for me, that sword has one of the coolest design of all of the swords I have ever seen in any manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top