1. The Animal Photography! contest is now open. Capture those beautiful creatures and share them with us.

Congrats to riki for winning the Short Story contes!!
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. Nominate your favorites now!
  5. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Discussion in 'Manga News' started by jagman1x3, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kave

Kave Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Thailand
    Boy are you missing out

The art is beautiful

[​IMG]

Nakurawari likes this.
  2. xAsum0x

xAsum0x Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

United States
    What's one thing about the shonen manga fandom that upsets you the most? Honestly it's the shipping wars for me. Can't stand em. The fact that people sent Kishimoto death threats over a fictional pairing is kinda sad to me. Also the "generic" criticism that people throw out when they wanna critic something

G_I_A and Koi Kage like this.
  3. Nakurawari

Nakurawari Registered User

Ireland
    The 'generic' criticism for sure. You get so many people complaining that certain manga use all these tropes and cliches, but then don't comment on how they actually handle them. It's all in the execution.

4. ChocoBar9

ChocoBar9 Registered User

United States
    Sogeking from One Piece. Oda is an artist that I have gained appreciate more so over the years than I did back when I was younger first reading the manga and unlike a plethora of artists from WSJ old and new he has a talent to make the most seemingly mundane and unappealing designs look cool without even trying to. Sogeking is literally just Ussop in bandages wearing a silly broken mask and a worn out cape yet its still more badass than say Ichigo's Final Getsuga Tenshō form. It also one of my all time favorite spreads in manga
    [​IMG]

5. Shinji Hirako

Shinji Hirako Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

United Kingdom
    This. If I was paid even a small amount for every time I have heard someone say "Naruto gets bad after the the pain arc", "Bleach gets bad after Soul Society" or "One Piece gets boring after the timeskip" using the big three as examples then I would honestly be rich. The most hilarious part is when someone in a forum confronts a person with that generic opinion and they can't elaborate on why it gets bad so they just insult the series further. The more popular a series becomes the more generic the criticism will be unfortunately.

Koi Kage likes this.
  6. giathuan2707

giathuan2707 Registered User

United States
    Sogeking and Usopp are LITERALLY two different people :gwah. Usopp is a god and Sogeking is just a sniper.

Sogeking was born in Sniper Island, while Usopp was born in Syrup Village.
    -----------------------------

I cannot stand excessive fanboys who cannot see a manga flaws and shipping fanboys. What's worst is author acknowledge the ship and shoving down our throat to satisfy the fan service

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM
  7. RafaFedKilla

RafaFedKilla Registered User

United States
    Designs I don't like are some of the villains in MHA. Hand Face is not the look of a final villain.

8. Nakurawari

Ireland
    Idk, I think he's pretty terrifying...
    [​IMG]

Mawara and giathuan2707 like this.
  9. EmDee

EmDee Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

United States
    He's definitely terrifying but he looks more like a man child with the onesie type suit he wears. Overhauls design is much more dangerous and final villain looking, although I dislike the plague mask he wears.

10. Kadir0

Kadir0 Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

The Wall
    Lol, i was a reading a manga a while ago and this one comment caught my attention, he was replying to someone who made a constructive critic post.

Mammo and Nakurawari like this.
  11. Nakurawari

Ireland
    I think that's the point though. He's even described as a man child in the manga. He's growing at the same rate as Izuku. They're both incomplete. I trust Horikoshi that Shigaraki will be a worthy main villain at the end.

Newkerzy and Doughboy like this.
  12. Koi Kage

Koi Kage Registered User

United States
    The whole "generic" view people have on things to me isn't really a criticism of something. I know this gets said a lot but as time goes on it gets more and more true "there is no such thing as originality anymore everything has been done before" so the constant complaining that something is generic should really stop it's really annoying.

I 100% agree with you. How do you guys feel about the people who won't acknowledge the good things a series has even if they don't like the series?

13. tirakai

tirakai Registered User

United Kingdom
    One thing I'm kind of worried about is that Academia is going somewhat of a Naraku route with Facepalm so far, every time the situation gets tense and there's about a big confrontation with the MCs he runs away through a portal. I really hope it doesn't keep doing for 100s of chapters.

14. Sir Isley

Sir Isley Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

United States
    While Claymore was a monthly, it did appear in WSJ so it counts technically.

Isley's awakened form is easily one of my favs.

15. Kadir0

Kadir0 Registered User

The Wall
    Not just Naraku, all villains of Inuyasha were like that, how easily they were able retreat and the most annoying thing of all, how they leave behind some words like ''see you another time if you survive that's *laughs evil laugh*'' I only re-watch that series for Sesshomaru and Rin, coolest characters ever.

16. Mawara

Mawara Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

Germany
    Fanboys & fangirls. Blindly praising their manga, repeatedly saying how awesome/badass something is(Forneverworlds "Dat[Insert Manga]Greatness!" still let my ears bleed) and using their praises to bash other series. For example read a discussion between one OP fan & a Naruto fan. The OP fan attacked the Naruto fan by claiming how bad Naruto is by using only japanese name and that nobody could recall these and so on. I like OP a lot, but this was so embarassing. Geez, it's OK to like something, but dont be a douche because of this.

Ironically many fan theories also upsets me. Mainly because you can tell that the persons who made these are too deep in the materials. They use minor details and look after certain words in dialogues to create their theories. Not I hate these theories per se, but most times I can tell, that they use too much time & energy for theories & ideas, where you can easily guess that the mangaka themselves didnt invest as much in their own stories. I remember complicated & big theories about Naruto & Bleach(what Ichigos Bankai may be), when they were still running. In the end, Naruto ended with a Diabolus Ex Machina(Kaguya) and Bleach ended without many explainations.
    Most times I am impressed by fan theories, but at the same time, I also get upset, because I feel how these theories most likely never become true & that the people wasted their time for these.

Doughboy, Koi Kage and Nakurawari like this.
  17. xAsum0x

xAsum0x Registered User

United States
    Horikoshi is writing Shigaraki in a way that he's growing and developing along with Deku (the parallels hes doing between the 2 is pretty cool). In the beginning he was just incompetent and childish, Overhaul even told him up front that couldn't handle his underlings, however ever since AFO defeat he seems to be growing in intellect, and I think he'll turn the tables and manipulate Overhaul for his own gain. I honestly find it fascinating.

Nakurawari likes this.
  18. G_I_A

G_I_A Registered User

Brazil
    Nuff said... I HATE this... People prefers to wonder about ships instead of what actually happens within the series.

19. giathuan2707

giathuan2707 Registered User

United States
    Comparing series. Especially modern battle shounen to Dragonball or the "Big 3", and this thread favorite MHA vs Black Clover.

Sometime, I am guilty of this to so i'm not going to try and deny that.

I identify myself as a blue ocean so I feed on the salt of shipping fandoms to sustain myself :derp.

G_I_A and Nakurawari like this.
  20. G_I_A

G_I_A Registered User

Brazil
    MHA vs Black Clover is the new black.

Kadir0, Nakurawari and giathuan2707 like this.